Paul's Money-Bomb Throwers

Paul's record tally.

Everyone -- Republicans, Democrats, pundits who crowd the cable news cycle, you name it -- is wondering: Who are these Ron Paul people?

Speculate, theorize, stereotype. Only one thing is clear: the Paulites, the loyal, organized, Web-savvy supporters of Rep. Ron Paul, know how to raise money online, and 37,000 Paulites set a record yesterday by hauling in more than $4.2 million in 24 hours. That's the most money raised online by a candidate in a single day. A Paulite came up with the fundraising idea, a few more Paulites joined in and set the date for Nov. 5, Guy Fawkes Day, a symbol of rebellion in British history, then the "money bomb" effort spread virally.
Context is crucial here. Sen. John McCain, who placed second in the latest Washington Post-ABC News poll, raised $6 million last quarter. But that took three months.

So who is Paul and how did he set this record?

He's a 72-year-old obstetrician-turned-congressman who's known as the "Dr. No" of the House of Representatives. No to big government. No to the IRS. No to the Department of Homeland Security. Alone in the GOP field, he's been against the war in Iraq from the beginning, a fact not lost on many of the Paulites. Most of his funds, at least two-thirds, his aides say, have come from the Internet. In the first quarter, he raised $640,000, $2.4 million in the second and $5.1 million in the third. By 3 p.m. EST today, he had raised $7.3 million since the beginning of October-- on track to raise the campaign's goal of $12 million by the end of the fourth quarter.

"What he's done -- what his supporters have done -- is astonishing," Ed Rollins, who managed Ross Perot's campaign in 1992 and served as an adviser to President Reagan, told The Trail. "You can't dismiss his anti-war vote. You can't dismiss the power of one man standing up with a powerful message. I'll tell you, I've been in politics for 40 years, and these days everything I've learned about politics is totally irrelevant because there's this uncontrollable thing like the Internet. Washington insiders don't know what to make of it."

One main asset for Paul is his multi-leveled appeal. Analysts like Rollins say it's the whole Perot-Buchanan-Nader effect, an anti-establishment, outside-the-mainstream candidate who's got a message and has rallied a group of messengers. Though, unlike some of those other outsiders, Paul has not talked about running as an Independent (although he did run as a Libertarian in 1988). Online political strategists argue that Paul's fundraising success proves the power of Web 2.0: build a site, like RonPaul2008.com, tap the grassroots support and wait for the supporters to join the campaign.

And that grassroots support, especially his popularity online, has been something of a phenomena.

That support appears only to be growing, as the Paulites' Guy Fawkes day showing underscores. Jim Forsythe, 39, a former Air Force pilot and a Republican who voted for President Bush in 2004, is one Paul fan who helped boost Paul's tally. "I voted for Bush, and I'm not proud of it," Forsythe told The Trail this afternoon. Forsythe donated $301 to Paul yesterday and has so far given $2,026 to Paul this year.

He intends to give as much as the law allows.

-- Jose Antonio Vargas

By Washington Post editors  |  November 6, 2007; 6:00 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Small Snag in Kucinich's Impeachment Quest
Next: Giuliani, Sarkozy and the Civil Service

Comments

I think there are more Ron Paul supporters than the media knows, probably more than we even know as supporters. Many of Ron Paul's supporters dont have or use their landlines so its difficult to really guage their numbers in conventional polling. One thing I know, Ron Paul's supporters are increasing in number, while the Republican party is quickly loosing membership (except the independents lending their temporary support to the party as Ron Paul is in the primaries). The Republicans must nominate someone who can actually win the general election...Obama/Clinton/Edwards have & will beat any of the candidates in the Republican party: EXCEPT FOR ONE DOCTOR NAMED SIMPLY "NO"

-Jason, Hawaii

Posted by: djjahson | December 28, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

I'm am retired and listened to many politicians speak nonsense. Dr. Paul speaks with substance. He will get stronger as the mainstream media and people listen and learn.

Posted by: SDCroce | November 9, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I actually forgot to add-

VOTE FOR RON PAUL!!!

Although in my mind it should really go without saying.

Posted by: cantzon | November 9, 2007 3:22 AM | Report abuse

I am a US citizen living and teaching in the South Korean public school system. I have always considered myself a Republican. But I am astonished at what the Republican Party has evolved into over the past few years. An interventionist foreign policy, threatening nations for wanting to develop nuclear weapons when we ourselves have them and have used them, and a government that wiretaps its own citizens, etc. It's difficult for me to believe these people claim to be conservatives with a straight face. And now we have Giuliani, a pro choice anti second amendment cross dresser as the front runner. What the hell's going on. In second is Romney, a guy who can't make up his mind on abortion and who thinks he can buy the election with his own money. I say ENOUGH!!! People are sick of it. I'm not a radical weirdo. I'm a conservative. I want my party back. And we the people want our country back!

Posted by: cantzon | November 9, 2007 3:20 AM | Report abuse

Nosubstituteforvictory, a liar and shill for the media, said I am not a Republican and that I a lunatic. I support and donated to Ron Paul.

I will not argue that I'm not a lunatic; however, my voter registration card (see below site) states I am a 70 year old registrated Republican. That proves that Nosubstitute is a liar. All the more reason the liar and coward hides behind a psudo name while making his false statements.

Posted by: DCWornock | November 8, 2007 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Ron Paul supporters are people like me who care about the kind of country we are leaving for our children. If our country continues on its current path of irresponsible spending, nothing of our legacy of freedom will be left by the time my 4 month-old son is my age. I am a professional turned stay at home mom, and not the type who normally pushes political messages. I have always been very fiscally conservative, but I rarely vote for Washington politicians because they are all phoney liars. I have never before donated money to any campaign. I plan to donate significant money during Ron Paul's next campaign event celebrating the Boston Tea Party. What better way to celebrate freedom? Until yesterday, I was always registered independent, but I held my nose and changed my registration to Republican just to vote for Ron Paul. Ron Paul supporters really believe in the message of freedom and will do whatever it takes to vote. Who knows about the other wishy-washy voters for their wishy-washy phoney politicians?

Posted by: craezie | November 8, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

On Nov. 5th, I contributed the last $25.00 in my account to Ron Paul's Presidential Campaign. I literally have NO money.

Some say that's stupid, but to me, it's not. Our forefathers paid the ultimate price for the liberties we enjoy and I, for one, refuse sacrificing my liberty for security. Live free or die.

GO RON PAUL!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: marlafauker1 | November 8, 2007 10:09 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Vargas,

Thanks for the (refreshingly) positive report. To be honest, however, it's a bit late for the WP to be "waking up" to Ron Paul. For crying out loud, he's a 10 term Representative, former Presidential candidate, and the only anti-war Republican. But, far worse than the johny come lately attitude is the condescending tone of 95% of the MSM (WP one of the leaders) in reference to the Ron Paul supporters. We are your fellow Americans and, kooky or not, such disrespect is indicative of the stratsopheric heights the hubris of the MSM has risen. To be honest, I wouldn't talk to my dog (if I had one) in such a tone. Additionally, your complete lack of ability to anticipate this "phenomena' speaks volumes about the competence of the MSM to really report the news (rather than try to shape it for us poor unwashed masses.)

Oh ya, just to make sure we aren't called lone-ranger, Internet-surfing, college-aged libertian wack jobs anymore, I guess we must to start leaving bios. B.A. in Classics. Finishing my MBA. Former US Marine Officer. Business manager at a defense contracting company. Family man of 3.

We are the folks who truly understand our country, who truly love our country, and truly want to leave our land a better place for our children. We will NOT let it be hijacked by some bottom-of-the class, couldn't get a prom date, water cooler journalist (you being excepted, of course.)

Thanks for your time,
Mike Harkin

Posted by: harkinma | November 8, 2007 3:13 AM | Report abuse

Who are Ron Paul supporters? I saw a banner supporting the Ron Paul Revolution hung over a freeway overpass in super liberal Santa Monica CA. On the other hand I am a Reagan Republican. What do we have in common? We want our freedoms back that have been taken by a tyrannical government!

Posted by: tim | November 8, 2007 2:59 AM | Report abuse

I wonder will you beltway elites get your head out of the sand long enough to cover the Ron Paul inauguration?

You don't tell us what to do and think any more, we are reclaiming our freedom and liberties with the Ron Paul Revolution!

Posted by: tim | November 8, 2007 2:48 AM | Report abuse

Did you do any fact checking? Hillary Clinton and Mitt Romney have both fudged their fundraising numbers. Just Google "$6.2 million on June 30" and see what I mean. Also Jonathan Bydlak of the Ron Paul campaign debunked Hillary's claim by checking FEC reports. This takes about five minutes to do but it makes your story a whole lot more credible.

Posted by: theropingeffect | November 8, 2007 2:15 AM | Report abuse

Okay, I'll contribute a short bio. I am 60 years old. I have a masters degree in math. After a short stint at teaching at the university level, I worked in the semiconductor equipment industry, mostly doing programming, for 20 years. My last job was chief technical officer of a small robotics company. I play saxophone, paint in oils, and make YouTube videos, mostly about Ron Paul. I was "on the internet" before it was known by that name, when there were only some 50,000 of us.

Posted by: jdadson | November 7, 2007 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Who Paulites Are:

Well I am a Mechanical Engineer ex-democrat fed up with both the democrats and republicans who forget it is "We The People" that votes them into office,the ones that pay the bills and the ones who pays their salaries.We are also the ones they swore,under oath,to serve,instead they seem to be for sale to the highest bidding lobbyist.

Dr Paul will change all that and give the country back to the people.

Goooo Ron Paul !!

Posted by: USPatriot1 | November 7, 2007 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for a fair reporting of Ron Paul's fundraising. Ron Paul represents hope. I am so tired of the lies of political speech. American can be a great nation again.

Posted by: wellsacademic | November 7, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

By reading your article or listening to the radio or TV commentators you are all assuming we are all creepy Internet users. I discovered Ron Paul 3 years ago on an interview on C-span. I loved his ideas. He voted against the patriot act, voted against the war in Iraq in 2002, is against torture and the suppression of habeas corpus and he loves Ludwig Von Mises who was a free market economist. By the way, Governor Schwarzenegger loves Von Misses too.
Who are the creepy ones? The evangelists who preach love and anti-abortion and back G.O.P politicians who are for torture of prisoners of war and are denied of habeas corpus. Or stand by these candidates who are still in favor of a war that was illegal and unconstitutional from the beginning. Over 654.000 Iraqis have died. That is creepy!!!!
I am a mother of two wonderful boys and my husband is the typical American who works in a big corporation. We are not Internet creepy fanatics, but because the main stream media barely mentions Ron Paul, I get all the news I want from this incredible man through the Internet. Example I read your article through the daily e-mails the Washington Post sends me. After all Drudge Report said that 80 % of Americans are Internet users.
He is admired because he is a man of principle and ethics. If you look at his record in congress, he practices what he preaches, unlike all of the other candidates of both parties.
You mentioned he wants to get rid of the Dept. of Homeland Security. On a debate he explained that before 9/11 the government was spending 40 billion dollars in security. They had the information on these terrorist but because of bureaucracy they didn't do anything about it So what the government did is create this department and created more bureaucracy. Look at the mess FEMA did in Louisiana with hurricane Katrina?
But the special interest groups are in despair if this man wins, so they are doing all they can to discredit him and make him look like a lunatic.
Elizabeth

Posted by: luchi1 | November 7, 2007 4:50 PM | Report abuse

BTW, if you guys are all in amazement over the 37,000 that donated to Paul then you might want to check the numbers of some of the other candidates. Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-Ron Paul or anything, but the cheerleading guerilla-marketing campaign tactics of his supporters make me want to punch them.

Posted by: thegribbler1 | November 7, 2007 4:26 PM | Report abuse

[quote]The press wants to know who we are?

We ought to tell them, every time we speak out![/quote]

I agree.

Phillip Rhodes, 34 year-old software engineer, entrepreneur and dues-paying Libertarian Party member from Chapel Hill, NC. Oh, and did I mention, Ron Paul supporter?

Posted by: mindcrime | November 7, 2007 4:15 PM | Report abuse

Ron Paul is for real and people are behind him because he is honest and upholds the constitution and bill of rights. People are tiered of the would be dictators that are running our country now and the ones trying to. All they do is run this country into the ground and sell out to special intrests. Ron Paul is the only one that is concerned about the people of this country. All the others are concerned with is who is in power and how they can profit from it. I'm tiered of seeing my rights striped away and my money stolen from me by an out of control government. GO RON PAUL

Posted by: jacoop06 | November 7, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jacoop06 | November 7, 2007 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Thank you for not trying to speculate, theorize or stereotype us. The only thing we all have in common is a concern for the future of our country and a belief in Ron Paul's message.

I believe.

Posted by: stolte | November 7, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Congrats Ron! The movement is growing. Let's steamroll into 08.

The Ron Paul Revolution

Posted by: linux.architect | November 7, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

"Ron Paul's [support] is not comprised of registered republicans..."

Wanna bet? If we're smart enough to figure out how to place a credit card donation online, I think filling out a voter registration form won't be too complicated for us.

Turnout in the primaries is very low. Even a candidate at 5% would have a chance to win, if all his supporters turned out to vote. Ron Paul's support will be considerably higher than 5% once he starts spending his cash and now that people realize he has a legitimate chance to win.

Posted by: drd6000 | November 7, 2007 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Thanks for a great article.

It's not as if any candidate can just slap up a website and wait for the money to pour in, though. Ron Paul is succeeding not just because the message of freedom is popular, but because he has a long history of consistency and integrity in office. People know he is the real deal, and offering real change.

Hopefully there is a lesson in there for a lot of other politicians, or everyday Americans considering a career in politics. You don't have to sell out to be successful, and people admired honesty and principled integrity.

Posted by: drd6000 | November 7, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Well 38,000 thousand people who donated to Ron Paul and the over 1100 meetup group with volunteers totaling over 100,000 I would be hard pressed to think they would do all this work and contribute all this time for someone they are not going to vote for. This campaign has been fought on many fronts with registering Republican for the primaries to donating money and sign making.

For anyone who wants to know Ron Paul and his positions here is his library.

He has never voted to raise taxes.
He has never voted for an unbalanced budget.
He has never voted for a federal restriction on gun ownership.
He has never voted to raise congressional pay.
He has never taken a government-paid junket.
He has never voted to increase the power of the executive branch.

He voted against the Patriot Act.
He voted against regulating the Internet.
He voted against the Iraq war.

He does not participate in the lucrative congressional pension program.
He returns a portion of his annual congressional office budget to the U.S. treasury every year.

Congressman Paul introduces numerous pieces of substantive legislation each year, probably more than any single member of Congress.

No one knows the future, but if we forget the past then we are doomed to relive it. So far Dr. Paul has been right on the War in Iraq, the weakening Dollar, Central economic planning. I think its everyone's best interest to take a serious look at Dr. Paul. Both right and left, this is about America

Posted by: tcrmorrow | November 7, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

I am *not* a Ron Paul supporter, nor am I ever going to be one, as my vision for the country is a bit more ambitious than donning a coonskin cap and shooting my supper while everyone else does the same.

However, I tip my (civilized) hat to Ron's campaign supporters for not letting the Republican establishment browbeat them into irrelevancy. I know how that feels, having supporting Howard Dean's candidacy in 2004. I'm convinced he was torpedoed by the Demos in Iowa back then.

Be certain that the Repug establishment will try to marginalize you, to keep Ron out of the debates. The only way you can hang in there is to speak their language - MONEY. And you're doing it so far.

Best wishes for Ron to hang in for the entire primary season in order to highlight what an abysmal, intellectually bankrupt group the Republican Party is in 2007.

LOL @ all 'pugs, but Ron Paul a bit less than the others!!!

Posted by: power2charm | November 7, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

this is clearly the work of 5 or 6 guys in their basement spamming... wait, did you write $4.3 MILLION in 24 hours from 37,000 people? nevermind, he's legit.

good thing VA's February 12th Presidential primary is OPEN so anyone can vote for Ron Paul w/o having to register as a Republican first. but you DO have to be a registered voter.

Posted by: millionea7 | November 7, 2007 10:21 AM | Report abuse

I can't believe all of the articles wondering who these Ron Paul supporters are? The bigger question is who are the people being polled in these 'scientific polls?' You are depending on these 'scientific polls' and wondering if Paul doesn't register on those polls, then who are all of these emails coming from and who is showing up at these rallies? These people must be wierd. No, there are just a lot more of us than you think. And we are not on the fringe. I am very much what you would consider 'mainstream'. I am a Catholic stay at home mother of three. I drive my minivan and take my three boys to soccer games on weekends. I am not tech-savvy (yes, I know how to use the internet, but so does my 95 year old aunt). We all use the internet now. Why all the talk of him only having internet support? It's legitimate support. It's real simple, guys. Ron Paul makes sense.

Posted by: KCBreslin | November 7, 2007 9:57 AM | Report abuse

It took like 30 posts, but nosubstituteforvictory finally brings some sense to the above-posted comments.

Posted by: thegribbler1 | November 7, 2007 9:48 AM | Report abuse

Hey nosubstituteforvictory, who's crazier? someone who wants to get back to conservative principles or someone who wants to nuke Iran. Just wondering.

Posted by: cduffield | November 7, 2007 9:40 AM | Report abuse

I'm not a 'Paulite' but I am someone who has just recently started reading about him and it's tough to find out about a candidate when there's a blackout by major media sources on a candidate. So, thank you Jose Antonio Vargas and the Washington Post for a balanced article about Ron Paul.

I urge more people look him up and find out about his stances. He's definitely something completely different!

Posted by: ash_biggs1985 | November 7, 2007 9:03 AM | Report abuse

its a shame that the number of votes determines elections and not the number of internet comments, rants and ravings...

Ron Paul's lunatic fringe is not comprised of registered republicans - he has no chance of breaking 5% in any primary conducted among Republicans only.

Posted by: nosubstituteforvictory | November 7, 2007 8:56 AM | Report abuse

I am neither a democrat nor a republican. I vote for democrat more than republican. I am very touched with Ron's message and agree with him. Most Americans are questioning, can he survive the big oil co., Wall Street, big pharmaceutical co., the military contractors, insurance co, trial lawyers, or religion extremists to get elected as president. It will be a MIRACLE!!!

Posted by: saad27607 | November 7, 2007 8:10 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the fair article on Dr. Ron Paul. Most of the coverage in the mainstream media has been very condescending, bordering on irresponsible. Who are the Ron Paul supporters? I believe they are people who are energized by the message. End the war, protect the constitution, set America back on a path toward unity, prosperity and optimism. Dr. Paul has shown integrity and sincerity. I don't agree with him 100%, but I think that unlike the majority of the other candidates he is not beholden to wall street, big pharma, the military industrial complex, insurance companies or trial lawyers.

Posted by: quasarnyc | November 7, 2007 5:42 AM | Report abuse

I'm a Ron Paul supporter - who am I??

I'm about 30, married 4 yrs now - 1 kid, with another on the way. Make quite a bit above the average salary for the area/state I live in. I'm worried about my savings account and the effect of the out of control inflation/failing currency has on it. Think iraq and the rest of our foreign policy is as bad as it can possibly be. Can no longer travel abroad (have to settle for Hawaii). Hoping to buy a new house at the depth (next year) of the recession that will follow the current credit/lending/housing crisis in the financial industry. Pro-Life, only now and only because of my daughter and Ron Paul. Pro-Gun ownership (have never fired a gun in my life) - but still want the right to do so. I've only now realized that my income should be my income, and not something that the Federal govt allows me to only keep a small part of. Don't smoke herbs, but don't want to be arrested and thrown in jail for a year if I ever decided too. We'll the list goes on and on, but because of these reasons and many more - Ron Paul is my choice.

Posted by: jeffreyfhill | November 7, 2007 2:27 AM | Report abuse

I am a Democrat, I live in California, and I'm a Vet. Not your typical Republican supporter, but I really like the honest message of Ron Paul, and will vote for him if he makes it on the ballot. I think the politicians in Washington just don't realize how fed up the American Middle-Class is with the direction of our country. Finally, Dr. Paul is getting some media coverage, and given all the debates he has won (then at the last minute got second place)... it's about time! Get the word out, 90% of the people I talk to still have no idea that they have a choice! Go Ron Paul!

Posted by: dflipper | November 7, 2007 1:46 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the fair article on Ron Paul.

One thing though, Hillary did not raise that total in one day. As pointed out during the Paul press conference, Hillary raised that money during several events over a span of time and reported it on the final day of the quarter. The FEC filings do not substantiate the claim that it was raised in a day.

Posted by: R3VOLUTION | November 7, 2007 1:11 AM | Report abuse

Who'd have thought that a mainstream Republican with a classically conservative message could end up sounding so liberal that he is accused of being a radical, and by others as, "certifiably crazy"? I guess this illustrates just how far the neo-cons have dragged this country into the bottomless pit of avarice, fear, and greed. After hearing Ron Paul's views, some of which I do not agree with, I realize that as president, he may do things that will piss me off. At least I'll be pissed off in a free country and I won't have to fear being arrested for voicing my opinion. This leaves me with no other choice than to become a registered Republican so I can have the honor to vote for him.

Posted by: zenken7 | November 7, 2007 12:59 AM | Report abuse

This is a true story, which may or not make sense to some readers, or answer the question " who are these Ron Paul people" but 100% true. Sat night NYC,im at a Phil Lesh concert( the 67 year old bassist for the 60s rock icons the Grateful Dead)tripping on 2 hits of acid and some twenty something hands me some Ron Paul literature and assures me he has an answer. Twenty years ago i could afford to waste a vote today i cannot

Posted by: pfarrell615 | November 7, 2007 12:45 AM | Report abuse

Thank you for your article. I appreciate your clear-eyed approach after reading so many articles that frame Ron Paul supporters as loonies, spammers, and terrorist-huggers. Several major news sources attempt to marginalize or ignore the real message behind the money-bomb: we're here, we're real, and we're serious. Ron Paul IS the elephant in the room.

Posted by: wishccr | November 7, 2007 12:44 AM | Report abuse

I have to take a minute to say thank you for a much fairer writeup on RP then I have seen since yesterday by media organizations. Rolling Stone, who you would think would give him a better writeup on monday, was just as snide and condescending as the main stream media... Mr Thompson has to be rolling in his grave.

Posted by: pbtv2 | November 7, 2007 12:36 AM | Report abuse

Saying two thirds of Ron Paul's support is coming from the internet, is like saying the other one third is coming from the post office.

"The Internet" isn't donating a single greenback to Dr. Paul's campaign. 98% of Ron Paul's support is coming from individual Americans, not corporations, not PACs, not lobbyists looking for access.

2/3 of his funds are coming via the internet perhaps, but it is coming from individual Americans.

Posted by: demonrats | November 7, 2007 12:30 AM | Report abuse

I am so PROUD to support Ron Paul. As an engineer for, ironically, a large oil and gas corporation, I admire Paul's integrity and principals. I am not the doting type, so I won't laud Paul to the nth degree, but I only wish I had more material, if it exists, on exactly what Ron Paul will or won't do on the issues. I am definitely buying his book though, maybe I can find more substantive solutions in there.

Posted by: rlake_76 | November 6, 2007 10:34 PM | Report abuse

I support Ron Paul but didn't contribute on Nov 5th. I contributed 25$ a few weeks ago and will contribute some more. His stances on free markets are essential to allowing American industries to prosper. I believe that the American clothing farming, manufacturing and designing industries can become strong under free market policies. Especially with items such as hemp that can be made into clothing, fuel, oils, lotions, packagings, medicine.. etc..etc...

The Constitution was written on hemp paper.

Environmental Economists for Ron Paul!

Posted by: martinez.gerald | November 6, 2007 10:28 PM | Report abuse

I was very happy to donate to the cause on the 5th of November. Over the next 12 months I will be participating as much as humanly possible in the grassroots efforts to include the meetup groups and all other pledge drives. This time, it isn't about the man, it's the message.
You can follow it here:

Posted by: dryicezero | November 6, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, Jose, but don't just focus on the money, focus on the message. The reason he has collected so much support is because of the message. The message of freedom and justice. Voting has become too much about supporting the candidate when it should be about supporting the message. Ron Paul deserves the support of every liberty-loving American.

Posted by: rgump | November 6, 2007 10:19 PM | Report abuse

Your article states:

"Sen. Hillary Clinton, the Democratic front-runner, still holds the record for raising the most money in one day: $6.2 million on June 30. But she's a Clinton, and that cash didn't come entirely from Internet fundraising."

A check of FEC filings shows that Senator Clinton only raised $1.5 million on June 30. Please check stats before reporting as fact.

Posted by: ajtdonahue | November 6, 2007 10:14 PM | Report abuse

Who are Ron Paul supporters? Independent thinkers-- people who read about politics outside of the mainstream and cable news networks. People who think history is important and remember lessons learned. People who think the Constitution is important.

I am a stay-at-home mother of two, a life-long republican, a former Bushie who has become very disgruntled. I have changed my mind about pre-emptive war. Ron Paul has taught me how to think about policy and I feel born again if you will. I feel in love with Liberty.

Thank you for the lovely article.

Posted by: cduffield | November 6, 2007 10:13 PM | Report abuse

Thank you Jose for the great write-up. It's nice to see that someone representing a major publication can still be objective in their editorials.
I also wanted to thank the Ron Paul supporters who are posting substantive responses to the article.

Posted by: proy0478 | November 6, 2007 10:04 PM | Report abuse

I support Dr Paul, and voted for him in '88, donated a little yesterday. I am a Radon Professional in Arkansas. I loath oppressive government intrusion. I understand why non-Americans have a negative view of American foreign policy. The country needs a healing time.

Posted by: dwayneahall | November 6, 2007 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I request that the Washington Post issue a correction: Hillary Clinton did not raise $6.2 million on June 30. Please review the FEC reports.

Posted by: Colorado872 | November 6, 2007 9:47 PM | Report abuse

The press wants to know who we are?

We ought to tell them, every time we speak out!

Michael Peck, computer programmer from San Antonio, TX.

Posted by: michael.peck | November 6, 2007 9:32 PM | Report abuse

The Washington insiders do not know what to make of the Ron Paul's because the campaign is as much by the people and for the people as it is Ron Paul's campaign. Much like we want our government to run. Not directed from on high by plutocrats running spin machines and bundle factories. The internet is the greatest gift to our democratic republic since the printing press. Information is now easily acquired by little effort and flows in multiple ways , not be constrained by gatekeepers anymore. People can mobilize, pull and push information and work in ad-hock ways to solve problems unheard until recently. It takes a libertarian like Ron Paul to have an understanding of the power unleashed by decentralization of effort. The mostly typical social authoritarians who work in Washington politics haven't a clue, but leading edge business's have learned the power of decentralization and solving problems by ad hocking resources and information. Washington and most of the political establishment campaign and govern with 19th century authoritarian, top-down culture and technology . Ron Paul is truly ahead of any other candidate running for president by recognizing that politics can be truly open and democratic with today's information technology . If he runs the government like he runs his campaign, he will truly be the best president we have ever had.

DF Robichaux

Posted by: davrobi2 | November 6, 2007 9:18 PM | Report abuse

Who are we

Well as a Canadian (living in Canada)I am not able to support Ron Paul financially, however I make every attempt to inform American friends about the opportunity to do something positive in the world of politics. I have followed Ron Paul for the past 6 years with issues regarding the war and monetary policy; suffice it to say ,he is the only one who offers answers that are workable.
Please read your constitution it is one of the most incredible documents of the past 2000 years! Read it and uphold it!

Posted by: rcjsl | November 6, 2007 9:05 PM | Report abuse

We are extremely diverse: doctors, lawyers, blue-collar workers, business owners, college students, military, religious people, gun enthusiasts, libertarians, Republicans, independents, and even a few former Democrats. We love Ron Paul's message of freedom. And we know his platform well. In fact, some people support Ron Paul *despite* his stance on Iraq. My dad is uncomfortable about bringing the troops home quickly. However, he was a staunch Barry Goldwater supporter, and rightly sees Ron Paul as Goldwater's heir.

I met a guy recently who is *not* antiwar, but wants to bring the troops home from Iraq because Bush isn't serious about winning. He is campaigning for Ron Paul.

Posted by: Cporterfield | November 6, 2007 9:02 PM | Report abuse

Ron Paul is clearly not a "politician", he is a "statesman", truly respecting the constitutional limits "We the People" ordain for our general government, and serving the American people rather than his own interests or the interests of the big money lobbies who have infected the halls of congress.

It has been said that lobbyists don't even bother to approach the good doctor because they know that he cannot be swayed.

His constituents have sent him back to DC even though they know he will vote against unconstitutional or extra-constitutional legislation that contains earmarks for their districts.

He is a true servant of the American people and would truly help to steer this country back to the noble path set by our founding fathers for this "great experiment".

Posted by: skefboomer | November 6, 2007 8:54 PM | Report abuse

Excellent write-up!

I support Ron Paul because I believe he is the only candidate who will work to reduce the size and scope of the federal government.

Keep up the good work.

Posted by: ianallover | November 6, 2007 8:53 PM | Report abuse

Hi, My name is Kevin. I'm a young college student who sees Ron Paul stickers on the back of every bumper as i pull in for school.
now for people who think of Mr. Paul as someone who will ruin this country, just take a look at his voting records. if good ol Hunter s. Thompson was still alive. id believe he'd be shocked to see a history of a man who does tell not the truth but says what he really thinks about something for what it is. who cares, the American dream has been broken by to many swines in control of the big red button. Poor Washington, Poor Lincoln, Poor franklin. there American dream has been stomped, crushed, ripped, tossed, and lit on fire. why do we still have that thing called a constitution locked up when the government seems to be ripping it piece by piece and using it for toilet paper. Hunter quotes in the beginning of Fear & Loathing in L.V. " a man who turns himself into a beast forgets the pain of being a man" i think if things don't change very soon i might take up that offer.

Posted by: djnieve | November 6, 2007 8:47 PM | Report abuse

Great Coverage!

Part of the puzzlement as to who are these "mysterious" people is that the media rely too much on polls that are flawed. Any smart person in todays day and age realizes that you do not need a land line. These are ussually the same tech savy people that are Ron Paul supporters and not being represented in the polls.

Posted by: grounick | November 6, 2007 7:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm the guy referred to at the end. Although I am not proud of voting for Bush, I think Kerry would have been as bad. I'm so happy that we have a real option this year with Dr Paul. And I'm smart enough this time around to get involved in the primary process rather than waiting until it is too late.

Your commentaries from Ed Rollins are great. "Washington insiders don't know what to make of it." LOL.

Posted by: jimforsythe | November 6, 2007 7:45 PM | Report abuse

Jose has met the typical Ron Paul supporter here in NH and spent enough time talking to us to know that we are a solid bunch and we mean business...both money wise and in the voting booth.

This is no spambot campaign.

Posted by: JaneAitken | November 6, 2007 7:43 PM | Report abuse

I admire the fact that you do attempt to describe what Ron Paul stands for at least in part of your aticle. There have been many articles out that just pose the question of "who are the Ron Paul supporters?" The reason why Ron Paul's supporters love him is because he is honest, follows his duties as a Congressman as one of the few in Congress who follows the Constitution. His answers are not filled with arguments of pathos or even ethos (though he should use more ethos since his credibility is impeccable), but with pure logos. Everyone is disgusted about government when it exited the age of reason and entered the current age of constant fear, inaccurate intelligence, and a lack of desire to find the truth. People have found the truth in Ron Paul about how government should be. As Ron Paul has said, going into Iraq was a mistake and we need to admit our mistake. As a doctor you cannot just give a patient medication based off a wrong diagnosis. That will lead to disaster, which we are seeing right now. This is the type of logos Ron Paul has, which beats anything any of the other candidates and pundits are suggesting.

Posted by: clif_sm06 | November 6, 2007 7:10 PM | Report abuse