The Trail: A Daily Diary of Campaign 2008

Archives

Richard Viguerie Goes Online for Paul

By Jose Antonio Vargas
Rep. Ron Paul continues to trail his opponents in national polls. He's yet to finish in the top three of any state contests. (He placed fourth in the Michigan primary last night, ahead of Rudy Giuliani, whom he beat in Iowa, and Fred Thompson, whom he bested in New Hampshire.)

But his passionate, Web-savvy supporters have always forged a community online, where sites independent of his campaign such as Daily Paul, Primarily Paul and Ron Paul Nation have continually popped up.

And the latest may be one of the most impressive of all. Ultimate Ron Paul was created by Richard Viguerie, often dubbed the "funding father of the conservative movement." Viguerie, who founded Conservative Digest magazine in the 1970s, pioneered the use of computerized direct mail, helping raise billions for conservative organizations. Most recently, he authored "Conservatives Betrayed: How George W. Bush and Other Big-Government Republicans Hijacked the Conservative Cause."

"I remain uncommitted to any of the Republican candidates," Viguerie said in a release, "but it is clear that Ron Paul is truly a principled conservative in the grand tradition of Robert Taft, Barry Goldwater, and Ronald Reagan."

He added: "By standing consistently for individual liberty and constitutionalism, Ron Paul has differentiated himself from all the other candidates, whose allegiance is to Big Government Republicanism."

Posted at 5:29 AM ET on Jan 16, 2008
Share This: Technorati talk bubble Technorati | Tag in Del.icio.us | Digg This
Previous: Distinctions With a Difference in Nevada | Next: Only One Bush on Romney's List of Heroes

Add 44 to Your Site
Get This Widget >>

Comments

Ron Paul is the one candidate the truly cares about America. Every other changes one or more stances every new state they pander to. He is fiscally responsible, wants to close the borders,end unfair free trade agreements. And put an end to a war we should not have been in in the first place.

Sounds like a good candidate to me.
McCain bases his experience in a P.O.W camp as right to the Presidency? He wants our borders open people.
Guilliani sucked in New York. The police commisioner did all the things he runs on.
Rommney is a good business man - how many jobs did he help outsource?
Huckleberry?Hucklbee? whatever!
Ron Paul in 2008

Posted by: breretons | January 24, 2008 12:04 PM

He came in #2 in Nevada

Posted by: branumeli | January 20, 2008 2:59 AM

THE COST OF SUPPORTING RON PAUL
The cost of supporting RON PAUL
I would like to vent on how I was treated by Fort Henry Mall management in Kingsport, TN. I went there regularly before I started hauling the trailer.
I have a small 10 foot trailer that I am hauling a 4ft X 8ft Ron Paul sign on. I had my truck and sign parked in the parking lot at the Fort Henry Mall. I had backed my truck into a parking space but did have the trailer wheels in the grass so the mall management had my truck and trailer towed. My truck was parked as it should have been but the mall had two wreckers tow both my truck and my trailer at a cost to me of $153.80. When I saw that they had my truck and trailer towed I went to management and ask where my truck was towed to. (Oh, by the way I have a disabled veteran tag on my truck) My disability is related to agent orange so I am still fairly active but I was not dressed for the 3 mile walk to the impound lot to get my truck. At the time I talked to the manager I ask if I could park in the lot as I was in the mall about 2 hours each day. I was told that it would be alright as long as I parked in between the lines but today I was hassled by the manager again because of where I was parked. I was parked in the same small lot where the ATM on the Fort Henry Drive side. I reminded him that he said that I could park as long as I had it within the lines. He told me that I could not park there but agreed I could park within the other lots closer to the mall. So I will be there daily but may be hassled again even though I have followed his instructions.
In my discussion with the manager I ask if he thought there could have been another way he could have handled it other than have both my trailer and truck towed as the truck was parked as it should have been. I asked if maybe a note could have been left on my truck asking me to come by the office. (A first warning)
I must also say that my truck or trailer were neither obstructing traffic within the parking lot. Thanks for letting me vent.

Posted by: grunt68_69 | January 18, 2008 5:27 PM

I've read the various comments that continue the rascist smear against Ron Paul, unfortunately it appears that those who make such comments are far behind the real news since all of those accusations have been found false and debunked.

If anything, the only accusation could be that Ron Paul was not aware of all the newsletters bearing and using his name, this is not an uncommon event. Many people have fallen victim to those using a prominate individual's name to promote something whether it be political, commercial or religious in nature.

If those who seek to detract from Ron Paul will read the actual positions and writings of Dr. Paul, they will readily see that his real positions are totally opposite to those of a racist. I realize however, that you have to continue such smears, it is in the nature of Smearbunds to smear, such is the character of base people.

I wonder why we never hear about the incendiary racist remarks of Obama's Pastor the Rev. Dr. Jeremiah Wright or his association with the Nation of Islam? I wonder why we don't hear much about the other candidates own personal views toward race, religion, and the numerous other groupsing, classifications and pigieon holed sterotypes that the other candidates have used during their careers?

Double-Standards? You Bet!!!

Posted by: Republicae | January 18, 2008 9:15 AM

The REAL Racism

The 'liberal' Clinton left is the real racist. They have expanded the police/prison state, hired over a half-million police and god knows how many prison guards, and put 2 million black men in prison so they can be sodomized.

This is the direct result of their (the 'liberal' Clintons) racist federal sentencing mandates for crack/drugs.

Ron Paul wants to overturn these federal sentencing guidelines, and let black men out of prison.

How is that for racism! The Klan couldn't do better!

To add insult to injury, the 'liberal' Clinton left extended the police/prison state partnerships to the universities, having all these nice new police and prison 'correction' officers going to college, getting liberal arts degrees in social/criminal justice and crap like that, all on my tax dime.

Once all these nice folks they have their degrees, they can go to Iraq as 'private security contractors' and 'earn' $1200 a day, and get their pictures taken at Abu Grhaib in front of a pyramid of naked and bent-over Iraqis.

In fact that one nice lady, Lindie whatever, and her ex-correction officer boyfriend were BREEDING in front of the Iraqi backside pyramid at Abu Grhaib, as per the infamous photographs.

And you want to tell me that RON PAUL is racist?

Posted by: maria_roges | January 17, 2008 5:44 PM

McCain never met a Bill or a War he did not like. He admits to being part of the problem in the Republican party in the past, to bad he could not have figured that out BEFORE the election. He certainly is not the brightest bulb in the bunch..President?

Huckabee wants to do to the Constitution what sharia law does for middle eastern government. Taxes? All of a sudden (during election) he becomes the great anti-Tax man. How convienant, to bad he could not have figured that out before the election..

Romney as McCain called the kettle black is truly the "Candidate of Change" (Changing sides) Can anyone say flip-flopper?

Rudy... Can anyone say 9-11 a hundred times fast without a lisp?

Thompson..Can anyone say Law and Order? Thompson could certainly ACT the part but could he play it? Very doubtful.

Ron Paul.. With the whole GOP against him he is definitely an underdog and with his radical idea of following the constitution and strengthening the dollar he is on a rocky road, on the other hand most Americans love an underdog too..

Hillary? Her experience is about the same as a Football Quarterbacks wife deciding to play the game herself.

Obama? Who the hell is Obama really? Obama has more faces than Mount Rushmore and even less experience then Hillary in Washington. They would make great running mates, the blind leading the blind, which is business as usual in Washington..

Edwards? Same old stuff and the typical Washington insider, even worse, an Attorney by trade..

Dennis Kucinich? Well he is out, the Demo Party and Mainstream media Ross Perot'ed his butt. Ask most anyone about him and they will say "Isn't he the guy that saw UFO's?" Shame, he was the smartest guy on the Demo side.

So, after looking at this list and who mainstream media and the parties say has the best chances of winning, you should be afraid, very afraid...

Posted by: b.kuszmar | January 17, 2008 3:31 PM

RON PAUL TOOK SECOND IN WYOMING!!!!!

Posted by: charper | January 17, 2008 2:17 PM

Google Video: "Ron Paul Stop Dreaming"

Posted by: jeff111 | January 17, 2008 1:01 PM

It's great that Richard Viguerie is supporting Ron Paul.

What intrigues and angers me during this campaign is that Ron Paul is in 4th place now but if his face were splashed all over the news media outlets just as with the other candidates I believe he would be at least 2nd in this race at this time.

Anyone who is not swayed in a positive manner about what Ron Paul says must be listening to main stream news (brainwashing/propoganda) or must be wanting the status quo to remain in charge who will provide more war, more lies, and sadly, more freedoms lost.

Posted by: ezflex | January 17, 2008 11:53 AM

Here's a wee excercise for the status-quo maintenance squad:

How many times do I have to rail against this kind of neverending reinforcement of the meme:
"Rep. Ron Paul continues to trail his opponents in national polls. He's yet to finish in the top three of any state contests. (He placed fourth in the Michigan primary last night, ..."

Without wondering why emphasis is not placed here:
"ahead of Rudy Giuliani, whom he beat in Iowa,"
and here:
"and Fred Thompson, whom he bested in New Hampshire.)"

When these two vastly more popular (haha popular in the beltway maybe) and "realistic" candidates have done as well as they have done, that being sorely disappointing relative to the earlier instances of messianic prognosticative journalism written about them.

Why does nearly every mainstream media sponsored article related to Dr. Paul continually embed implicit statements that he can't win; even directly adjacent to the evidence that he has a more meaningful base of (as a matter of record in the primaries) voter support?

It is patently obvious that the sharks are circling to defend their continued feeding. The media are just doing what they are paid to do by the interests they serve.

Switching from calling us spammers to calling Paul a racist (if not outwardly it is implied) suits you all just fine I suppose.

Dismiss as conspiracy theorizing all you want, I'm convinced by evidence, and my evidence is incontrovertible. The fact that Paul is doing as well as he is despite this continued climate of statist apologetics and more of the same "politics of personal destruction" and character assassination is truly a striking story in itself.

Paul is guilty of being principled and human. The media is guilty of selling out the people it purports to serve in exchange for the continued blessing and support of the powers that be.

Posted by: fraterm | January 17, 2008 11:51 AM

Excellent comments Kathleen.

Posted by: spacehabitats | January 17, 2008 11:05 AM

Only one candidate will bring meaningful change to our destructive foreign policy, will bring all our troops home to protect our own borders, and will see that NO MORE young Americans, or their families, suffer from undeclared wars and that candidate is Ron Paul. When you see negative comments about Ron Paul remember the Gandhi quote 'First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, THEN THEY FIGHT YOU, then you win!

Posted by: dward542 | January 17, 2008 9:39 AM

Hello Sport2069, with all due respect, if you really think what you said above, then I kindly ask you to review what Ron Paul really is all about. He is the only rep candidate and just about he only dem as well, that would run things by the United States Constitution(.) Check out his view on some of the major issues here:

Posted by: davidmwe | January 17, 2008 7:22 AM

Ron Paul is just another McClain, Romney, Guiliani, Bush , Cheney except of the fact that he is against the war....

Posted by: Sport2069 | January 17, 2008 5:14 AM

I am certain I am not wasting my vote as the MSM wants people to believe by voting by Ron Paul.
People can be so naive and ignorant about their AGENDA AND WHAT IS DRIVING THEM. Please if you haven't decided on a candidate do your own research www.thecaseforronpaul.com and
www.ultimateronpaul.com
and you will see why he had 130,000 donors on Dec 16th (24 hr money bomb) raising over 6 MILLION dollars while Huckleberry raised a pathetic amount of $95,000 dollars by a few donors. Also Guliani raised like 2-3 million for quarter from only 5,000 donors as oppossed to Paul's 130,000...
What is that telling you?

Who is driving the media darlings Fred T, Huckleberry, Guliani and McGrain? Even though Ron Paul beat Fred and Guliani AGAIN!
They still include them in debates and as top 5 candidates. It is so obvious they want to discourage people from voting from the only person from either party that offers "True Change"...
Obama and Hillary are offering more and more of the same... as charming as Obama can be he alike Hillary want to offer free healthcare- how are they paying for that? Of course they ARE NOT SAying.
I am hispanic and i just heard both trying to get the hispanic vote by promising free healthcare and college education!!!
My goodness! Please get an economics book and see it is not going to work. Also, the barrel of gas is not $100 because of control from the middle east but because the dollar is devalued by the war and deficits! duh!! Please vote Ron Paul he is the only one against the war because he understands cause and effect...none of the candidates talk about the real issues....
I am voting for Ron Paul and my donations aRE GOING TO Ron Paul,
I do it for my 3 children...my boys will likely get drafted if this war continues like McGrain said for 100 years if necessary...how ignorant... we made a mistake in staying in Iraq-pack it up and move on... Our economy is collapsing now!!!
Vote Ron Paul -educate/inform your family and friends since he is being suppressed by the media who is suppossed to inform us and we decide.

Posted by: Tanah | January 17, 2008 1:15 AM

The reason that I take issue with the media only giving attention to the "top 3" on both sides generally is that the Republican and Democratic Parties are set up differently, which usually means the Republican side has more of a spread in popular vote. I'd like to see all the candidates get fair time in each election, not just this one.

Maybe we don't deserve Ron Paul as President if we're not willing to do our homework and find out who really IS the best candidate out of the bunch though, the most honest, most consistant, most true to the Constitution. (I still have hope though!)

Posted by: katie839 | January 17, 2008 12:27 AM

Wow Kathleen, very well put.

iconoclast421, I think you misunderstood TomdeSabla.

From American Heritage Dictionary -
Racism:
1. The belief that race accounts for differences in human character or ability and that a particular race is superior to others.
2. Discrimination or prejudice based on race.

A comment is not racist just because race is mentioned.

Here are more examples:
"Order was only restored in L.A. when it came time for blacks to pick up their welfare checks three days after rioting began"
- While inflammatory, this statement IS NOT racist according to the above definitions.

"The middle east was peaceful until whites began bombing the place to promote democracy."
- Again, inflammatory but not racist.

"Welfare should have been denied to black rioters until they stopped rioting."
- This IS racist. A discrimination is made against a race.

"Because all black people are lazy they need welfare to survive."
- This IS racist. It assumes race accounts for differences in human character or ability.

It's a subtle point but you should read more carefully and consider what is actually being said.

Posted by: ianallover | January 16, 2008 10:37 PM

TomdeSabla, your comment is either racist or cointelpro. Why would you try something like that? If we were that stupid we wouldnt be supporting Ron Paul in the first place. So who do you think you're fooling? The dumbed down morons who vote for Hillary and McCain? LOL they dont need any more manipulating, their minds are already gone. So why do you try it?

The fact is that most people lack the critical thinking skills to determine who is really the most racist candidate out there. That's why they will say Ron Paul is a racist, then go and vote for some a-hole that wont even attend a forum or debate at a black venue. It's so disgustingly transparent, yet unfortunately effective even in this day and age. There are countless examples that prove conclusively why Ron Paul is the least racist candidate out there.... just look at his stance on the drug war. When people lack the critical thinking skills to understand the most basic things, of course they are going to believe Ron Paul is a racist. They'll believe anything. Like how great the economy is! I just hope they open their eyes BEFORE they are standing in soup lines. But if that's how it has to be, then so be it! But you, TomdeSabla, I hope and pray you'll be among the first to be standing in the soup lines.

Posted by: iconoclast421 | January 16, 2008 7:59 PM

"Ah, well, Dick Viguerie is as big a whacko as Ron Paul , so this is not surprising."

You know, just ONCE I want to see somebody post something like the above and then provide ample evidence for the statement.

I don't know much about Dick Viguerie, but I do know a ton about Paul having read him for the last 5 years. I'm just curious as to what sort of person can conclude Paul is a nut. It seems to me that anybody that calls Paul crazy generally does it from the standpoint of ignorance. For example, not knowing what Operation Ajax was and how it led directly to the creation of the Islamic Revolution and at the same time saying the Paul's foreign policy is "unworkable".

Posted by: mhonley | January 16, 2008 7:54 PM

Please stop trying to give this racist hatchet job credibility. Austin NAACP President Nelson Linder, who has known Ron Paul for 20 years, and is an expert on racism has said that not only is Ron not a racist but, also, that the quotes have been taken out of context. There is a link to a radio interview so you can hear it in his own words.

A newspaper in Florida called Ron Paul supporters The Paulites.

This could be the title of a future book on U.S. history, sounds like a conquering army, sounds Biblical, or could be a derivative of the Ron Paul light brigade.

At this point, mentioning that the Paulites are coming will at least cause a short pause in political rhetoric and a few, furtive, over the shoulder glances.

I like it.

Posted by: websmith1 | January 16, 2008 1:34 PM

I continue to be amazed what has been done to the American people over the last 100 years by the federal government. The definition of "General Welfare" in the U.S. Constitution has been expanded, so that government can redistribute the wealth in society. The "monetization of the public debt" is another flat tax that reduces the wealth of the middle class. There is no end to the "highway robbery" being perpetuated by the federal government.

Universal healthcare and reduced taxes are empty promises that are resonating with the electorate. Which candidate is attempting to address the real issue of monetary policy? Glenn Beck got it right when he said that this nation is technically bankrupt.

Thanks Jose for turning me to the UltimateRonPaul site!

Posted by: mcthorogood | January 16, 2008 1:29 PM

We the People need to awake; We the people need to grasp the depth and seriousness the main media role is in manipulating us the People of this beautiful country.
The majority of the main well known media are privately own and they serve their own interest do not believe by one minute they exists to serve ours. For many years they have been injecting their spin by silencing voices they do not want to gain any traction, it is done under the cover of many words which are nothing more than deceptions.

The sad part is that while we are sending our men and women soldiers to far and unknown lands, to kill or get killed, here at home the process established by the US Constitution, this master piece where 56 founding fathers full of courage signed knowing full well that if it fails they will pay with their life, that process is being tramped by those pretending to brings us the "news" thinking they know what it best for us.
I will leave you with some Thomas Jefferson Quotes to think about it.
Please note the word Newspaper in today's era is also "Radio, TV and Internet"
- "Advertisements... contain the only truths to be relied on in a newspaper."
- "The press is impotent when it abandons itself to falsehood."
- "Nothing can now be believed which is seen in a newspaper. Truth itself becomes suspicious by being put into that polluted vehicle. The real extent of this state of misinformation is known only to those who are in situations to confront facts within their knowledge with the lies of the day."

Posted by: politiciannc | January 16, 2008 12:34 PM

Byrdland49:

Who are you supporting? Hope it's not McCain, if so Google - McCain, Keating 5, illegal immigration, and see what you get.

Ron Paul is a man of principles, integrity, and good moral values. His voting record is impecable, and the fact that he refuses to accept the Congressional retirement shows what great principles this man has. These so-called racist newsletters happened over 20 years ago, and have been laid to rest already by the NAACP, oh google NAACP, Ron Paul, and see for yourself. Honestly, I would like to know who you are voting for.

Posted by: tess101 | January 16, 2008 12:26 PM

Thanks Mr. Vargas--Dr. Paul is not doing better among Republicans because he is against the Iraq War. "War is the health of the State". The welfare/warfare state's demise has not yet come, but with the support base that Ron Paul has identified, you can begin researching its obituary. RonPaulR[evol]ution!

Posted by: SPFlanagan | January 16, 2008 12:21 PM

Kathleen: In case you have forgotten,

We the People of the United States, in Order to form a more perfect Union, establish Justice, insure domestic Tranquility, provide for the common defence, promote the general Welfare, and secure the Blessings of Liberty to ourselves and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the United States of America.

Posted by: prltd | January 16, 2008 12:09 PM

Kathleen, well said. Speaking of collectivism, it is beautiful and ironic that Dennis Kucinich would have Ron Paul as a running mate. He agrees with him on some issues, and others, not. But, he does fully endorse his character, honesty, and inclusiveness in politics. As Dennis gives symbolism, he states that the American Eagle has two wings...a left wing and a right wing...and needs both in order to fly. Cliche' but true.

America could use a good dose of honest conservatism right now, with an inclusive President.

Ron Paul is that person.

Posted by: pdubya1 | January 16, 2008 12:00 PM

Well spoken kathleen.

Posted by: decker733 | January 16, 2008 11:01 AM

byrdland49, if you're relying on the "mainstream media" for your news coverage, I can understand the source of your opinion about Ron Paul and the newsletters, produced by ghostwriters (apparently without any oversight by Dr. Paul) after he had left politics and returned to his ob/gyn practice full-time.

"News" of the newsletters was released on the day of the New Hampshire primary by a supporter of Rudy Guiliani, working for an avowedly liberal magazine, in a transparent attempt to harm Dr. Paul's campaign. ("News" is in quotation marks because the newsletters had been "old news" in Dr. Paul's district for years, and despite them, his constituents saw fit to return him to office for 10 terms in the House of Representatives.)

You may also want to do a Google search for "Ron Paul" and "NAACP." That search will lead you to radio interviews with Austin, Texas NAACP President Nelson Linder. As a black person who has known Ron Paul for 20 years. Mr. Linder is presumably in a good position to know whether or not Dr. Paul is a bigot. Mr. Linder refutes claims that Dr. Paul is a racist, and says he's being attacked because he's a threat to the establishment. This really IS news, but this story has received zero coverage in the "mainstream" media.

It may also interest you to know that Dr. Paul seems to have more support from minorities than any other republican candidate (also a legitimate news story, also unreported by the "mainstream" media.) (I apologize for not having a citation for this, other than an interview with Dr. Paul on CNN. And you seem to believe he's lying about the newsletters, so you may choose to believe he's lying about everything else.)

As a longtime supporter of his, I'm also disappointed that Dr. Paul didn't respond more forcefully to this character assassination. But that just doesn't seem to be his style. As a libertarian who practices what he preaches, Dr. Paul really doesn't care what you think! He believes that your thoughts and opinions are your business, and you have a right to them...no matter how ugly or disagreeable they may be to him or anyone else. I think this is probably why he hasn't "outed" the ghostwriters who worked on those newsletters (if he even knows who they are). He thinks they're entitled to their opinions. Why? Because freedom of speech and freedom of thought are the cornerstone of our political system. Dr. Paul is the only Constitutional candidate in the race...and the First Amendment protects the rights of figures like Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. or Malcolm X or Al Sharpton just as much as it protects the rights of anyone spouting racist or bigoted nonsense. You can't get one without the other.

As a veteran of a number of political campaigns, I wish Dr. Paul had been more "politically correct" in his response. I wish there had been more "mainstream" coverage of the fact that Dr. Paul thinks economist Walter Williams (who, by the way, is black) would make a great running mate. Or the fact that he always votes against awarding Congressional Medals of Freedom (because such an expenditure is not authorized by the Constitution) but when Rosa Parks was nominated for one, he offered to chip in money from his own pocket so the taxpayers didn't have to foot the bill. (None of his colleagues took him up on his offer, and instead raided the Treasury (i.e., your pocketbook).

Unfortunately, the American electorate has been sufficiently dumbed down that it merely takes an accusation of racism to destroy a candidate. But again, that's just not who Ron Paul is. He's the Anti-Romney. He's non-slick and non-calculating. He's essentially a freedom-loving policy wonk who wants to strip power from an out-of-control, financially and morally bankrupt federal bureaucracy and return it to the individual American citizen.

It's tragic to think that the American electorate is so easily manipulated, and that political correctness has run amok to the extent that we can't even have an honest dialog about racism in politics and society...in this of all years.

And finally, from his website, www.ronpaul2008.com, here's his statement on racism: "A nation that once prided itself on a sense of rugged individualism has become uncomfortably obsessed with racial group identities.

The collectivist mindset is at the heart of racism.

Government as an institution is particularly ill-suited to combat bigotry. Bigotry at its essence is a problem of the heart, and we cannot change people's hearts by passing more laws and regulations.

It is the federal government that most divides us by race, class, religion, and gender. Through its taxes, restrictive regulations, corporate subsidies, racial set-asides, and welfare programs, government plays far too large a role in determining who succeeds and who fails. Government "benevolence" crowds out genuine goodwill by institutionalizing group thinking, thus making each group suspicious that others are receiving more of the government loot. This leads to resentment and hostility among us.

Racism is simply an ugly form of collectivism, the mindset that views humans strictly as members of groups rather than as individuals. Racists believe that all individuals who share superficial physical characteristics are alike: as collectivists, racists think only in terms of groups. By encouraging Americans to adopt a group mentality, the advocates of so-called "diversity" actually perpetuate racism.

The true antidote to racism is liberty. Liberty means having a limited, constitutional government devoted to the protection of individual rights rather than group claims. Liberty means free-market capitalism, which rewards individual achievement and competence - not skin color, gender, or ethnicity.

In a free society, every citizen gains a sense of himself as an individual, rather than developing a group or victim mentality. This leads to a sense of individual responsibility and personal pride, making skin color irrelevant. Racism will endure until we stop thinking in terms of groups and begin thinking in terms of individual liberty."

Posted by: kathleen | January 16, 2008 9:57 AM

Yes, Paul is the only true conservative, fiscal conservative, constitutionalist and pro liberty:
Please visit:
www.wtpcast.com/cd_dvd_squeeze.asp

www.wtpcast.com

Posted by: Rev6 | January 16, 2008 9:33 AM

Could we please keep in mind that criticizing an ethnic or racial group, or their culture is not necessarily racist?

Racism is attributing some quality, habit, characteristic, or status to someone's race. Let me use examples to help those of you who are confused.

"Blacks make me sick with their 'yo culture' and their loud mouthed disrepectful kids" - Not racist

"Black people are inherently stupid and rude and so they need a helping hand because of their race" - Racist

Get the difference?

The government and our currency are collapsing and not one of the candidates other than Paul understands why and has a solution. Race is irrelevant.

Posted by: TomdeSabla | January 16, 2008 9:32 AM

OK, I'll admit, I am not that big on "party allegiance" and consider myself an independent. With this said, if I was a republican, I would be asking myself who could possibly win the office of United States president after what has happened the last 8 years? Who will beat any of the potential democratic candidates?

If you truly look and not just make a knee jerk reply, you may see as many others have:

Ron Paul

Posted by: davidmwe | January 16, 2008 9:21 AM

Did I miss something? Was Ronald Reagan an isolationist?

Posted by: edwardlahoa | January 16, 2008 9:09 AM

Ron Paul is not a racist...no way...no how. He includes MLK and Gandhi as people he looks up to due to their non-violent civil disobedient actions which, eventually, changed history. He did explain that he used poor judgment in not scrutinizing the papers with his name on them and I agree. But that's it. If he hates blacks so much, why didn't he just skip the GOP debate at historically black Morgan State University like Romney and Guiliani did?

Posted by: raw_oyster99 | January 16, 2008 9:01 AM

Hooray! The Post actually admitted that Ron Paul came in fourth place in the Michigan primary - but it's buried deep in this story about Richard Viguerie. Dr. Paul must really be scaring the Post if they go to so much trouble to hide his successes.

Posted by: LeszX | January 16, 2008 8:56 AM

(sorry for the typo)

I will admit Ron Paul makes sense in many of the issues he addresses. There is a great pull, especially for young people, in Mr. Paul's straight talk. However I cannot get past his very tepid, at best, denouncement of the racist, homophobic and anti-Semitic articles that were published so frequently in his newsletters over more than two decades. Ron Paul signs declare "Google Ron Paul". I suggest you do just that, adding "racist", "homophobic" or "anti-Semitic" to the search, and see for yourself whether this man deserves your support.

Posted by: byrdland49 | January 16, 2008 8:42 AM

I will admit Ton Paul makes sense in many of the issues he addresses. There is a great pull, especially for young people, in Mr. Paul's straight talk. However I cannot get past his very tepid, at best, denouncement of the racist, homophobic and anti-Semitic articles that were published so frequently in his newsletters over more than two decades. Ron Paul signs declare "Google Ron Paul". I suggest you do just that, adding "racist", "homophobic" or "anti-Semitic" to the search, and see for yourself whether this man deserves your support.

Posted by: byrdland49 | January 16, 2008 8:41 AM

The fact that Ron Paul has not won any states yet, or even finished in the top three, just means that the politics of fear are winning, rather than the politics of liberty. Fear is what drives Republican voters to candidates who want to further Middle East wars for the false notion that security will come from them.

Liberty and safety would both be attained if we defended ourselves in the proper way, with our own Second Amendment and a strong border and entry-point defense HERE in America where it is needed. You can't argue that a plane full of armed citizens (or at the very least, armed pilots) would have to worry about a few thugs with box cutters. You also can't argue that our foreign policy has had nothing to do with creating the hornets nest in the Middle East. Are we responsible for 9/11? No. Should we try to understand their motives like any other murderous act? Yes.

When Ron Paul is a true conservative on every issue, and also right about foreign policy, it proves fear has won. I guess that means terror has won which means the terrorists have won. Shame on all of us for allowing that to happen.

Posted by: bones13 | January 16, 2008 8:31 AM

Posted by: nicekid | January 16, 2008 8:28 AM

Richard Viguerie's support, plus $1.00, will buy Ron Paul a cup of coffee (but not at Starbucks).

Posted by: dyinglikeflies | January 16, 2008 7:38 AM

It is exactly people like Richard Viguerie whom have helped Ron Paul lead ALL candidates in terms of number of people searching the internet:

Pretty amazing, see the Google Trends report here: