Rough Night To Be a Republican

I'm going to save my insights, bon mots, cleverisms and winning digressions about last night's GOP debate for when I have to turn in my weekly, and universally ignored, Two Cents item for The Trail. Which I think will run tomorrow. This is my blogging formula: Yesterday's instant reaction delivered at the speed of light, no later than tomorrow or maybe the next day, to a computer screen near you.

I thought Huckabee had a great night, and McCain did well, too. Thompson barely registered. Giuliani aimed low - I think he's in great shape to win over the Nixon Wing of the Republican Party [see also the Tryst Fund story broken by Politico]. Ron Paul, asked point blank if he's a conspiracy-minded nut job, seemed on the verge of saying yes. I still don't really know who that Duncan Hunter fellow is. And Tancredo's not doing the party any favors.

Which brings us to Mitt Romney. He appeared to need GPS to find his core beliefs.

Romney was at his worst on the torture question. McCain, who clearly despises Romney and can't believe that this invertebrate is beating him in the polls in Iowa and New Hampshire, has a couple of natural foils in Romney and Ron Paul. McCain surely feels that Romney wouldn't need to be waterboarded to be persuaded to change a position -- just wave a wet napkin at him and he'd break. Here, via CNN, is the torture exchange:

ROMNEY....I do not believe that as a presidential candidate, it is wise for us to describe precisely what techniques we will use in interrogating people. I oppose torture. I would not be in favor of torture in any way, shape or form.

COOPER: Is waterboarding torture?

ROMNEY: And as I just said, as a presidential candidate, I don't think it's wise for us to describe specifically which measures we would and would not use. And that is something which I would want to receive the counsel
not only of Senator McCain, but of a lot of other people. And there are people who, for many, many years get the
information we need to make sure that we protect our country. And, by the way, I want to make sure these folks are kept at Guantanamo. I don't want the people that are carrying out attacks on this country to be brought into our jail system and be given legal representation in this country. I want to make sure that what happened... (APPLAUSE) ... to Khalid Sheikh Mohammed happens to other people who are terrorists. He was captured. He was the so-called mastermind of the 9/11 tragedy. And he turned to his captors

and he said, "I'll see you in New York with my lawyers." I presume ACLU lawyers.... (LAUGHTER)
Well, that's not what happened. He went to Guantanamo and he met
G.I.s and CIA interrogators. And that's just exactly how it ought to
be. (APPLAUSE)

COOPER: Senator McCain?

(CROSSTALK)

(UNKNOWN): There were reports Khalid Sheikh Mohammed was
waterboarded.

MCCAIN: Well, Governor, I'm astonished that you haven't found
out what waterboarding is.

ROMNEY: I know what waterboarding is, Senator.

MCCAIN: Then I am astonished that you would think such a -- such a torture would be inflicted on anyone in our -- who we are held captive and anyone could believe that that's not torture. It's in violation of the Geneva Convention. It's in violation of existing law...

(APPLAUSE)

And, Governor, let me tell you, if we're going to get the high ground in this world and we're going to be the America that we have cherished and loved for more than 200 years. We're not going to
torture people. We're not going to do what Pol Pot did. We're not going
to do what's being done to Burmese monks as we speak. I suggest that
you talk to retired military officers and active duty military
officers like Colin Powell and others, and how in the world anybody
could think that that kind of thing could be inflicted by Americans on
people who are held in our custody is absolutely beyond me.

COOPER: Governor Romney, 30 seconds to respond.

(APPLAUSE)

ROMNEY: Senator McCain, I appreciate your strong response, and
you have the credentials upon which to make that response. I did not
say and I do not say that I'm in favor of torture. I am not. I'm not going to specify the specific means
of what is and what is not torture so that the people that we capture
will know what things we're able to do and what things we're not able
to do. And I get that advice from Cofer Black, who is a person who
was responsible for counterterrorism in the CIA for some 35 years.

I get that advice by talking to former generals in our
military...

COOPER: Time.

Romney even struggled on whether he believes the Bible. Note the nervousness, the scrambling for a handhold, compared to smooth footing of Rev. Huckabee:

COOPER: Does that mean you believe every word?

ROMNEY: You know -- yes, I believe it's the word of God, the Bible is the word of God. The Bible is the word of God. I mean, I might interpret the word differently than you interpret the word, but I read the Bible and I believe the Bible is the word of God. I don't disagree with the
Bible. I try to live by it.

COOPER: Governor Huckabee?

HUCKABEE: Sure. I believe the Bible is exactly what it is.
It's the word of revelation to us from God himself. (APPLAUSE) And the fact is that when people ask do we believe all of it, you either believe it or you don't believe it. But in the greater sense,
I think what the question tried to make us feel like was that, well,
if you believe the part that says "Go and pluck out your eye," well,
none of us believe that we ought to go pluck out our eye. That
obviously is allegorical. But the Bible has some messages that nobody really can confuse
and really not left up to interpretation. "Love your neighbor as
yourself." And as much as you've done it to the least of these
brethren, you've done it unto me. Until we get those simple, real
easy things right, I'm not sure we ought to spend a whole lot of time
fighting over the other parts that are a little bit complicated. And as the only person here on the stage with a theology degree, there are parts of it I don't fully comprehend and understand, because
the Bible is a revelation of an infinite god, and no finite person is
ever going to fully understand it. If they do, their god is too
small.

[Now, admittedly it's not a fair fight, since Huckabee's spent years as a pastor. But he probably won himself a lot of votes last night and I wouldn't be shocked if he ran away with the nomination. People want to vote for someone they truly like. Some of those fellas up there on the stage are about as likeable as Ernst Blofeld. ]

Blofeldpleasance67.jpg

More on the Rudy Tryst Fund, from the Daily News:

It has been known since 2000 that then-Mayor Giuliani used his official, taxpayer-funded NYPD detail to escort him to weekend getaways at Nathan's Southampton condo as early as 1999, well before his marriage to Donna Hanover dissolved the following spring.

Back then, the Giuliani administration stonewalled reporters trying to nail down the costs for guarding the mayor during his Nathan liaison. The full tab remains a city secret.

But the documents obtained by the Politico.com Web site through Freedom of Information laws now show for the first time how Giuliani's administration seemed to scatter travel costs for security details during that time among obscure mayoral offices.

Those included units for regulating lofts and providing legal help to the poor, the report said.

More debate reack:

Patrick Ruffini: "Though clearly on his game, Huckabee seemed to benefit from everyone else being off theirs."

Kevin Drum:' Is waterboarding torture? Romney: "As a presidential candidate it would not be wise to say which techniques we would and would not use." Spare me. What a weasel.'

Jim Geraghty: 'Did Ron Paul really refer to the Trilateral Commission? Sorry, talk like that won't expand his base of support. For every guy who is up to speed on conspiracy theories and finds them plausible, two voters start thinking of the cigarette-smoking man from the X-Files.'

Adele Stan: 'Former Arkansas Gov. Mike Huckabee emerged strong from this debate, coming across as reasonable, compassionate, humble and humorous. If G.O.P. leaders knew what they were doing, they'd throw in with this guy and get him some dough.'

Fred Barnes: 'Why would Republican candidates with a chance of actually winning the presidential nomination subject themselves to two hours of humiliation?'

By Joel Achenbach  |  November 29, 2007; 10:16 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Remembering "Long Distance"
Next: The Politics of Nastiness

Comments

First? timing is everything

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 29, 2007 10:54 AM | Report abuse

Mr. Romneys' responses made me think of the Pinochio interrogation scene from Shrek 3.

Posted by: Kerric | November 29, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Missed it by THAT much... :-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 29, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

That would be Ernst Stavro Blofeld, wouldn't it? My question has always been- Can anyone who loves cats this much truly qualify as an evil genius?

Posted by: kurosawaguy | November 29, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Romney must have thought it was Monday night and it was ABC, 'cuz there sure was a lot of dancin' going on there.

Posted by: Raysmom | November 29, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

SCC Pinocchio.

Posted by: Kerric | November 29, 2007 11:18 AM | Report abuse

zzzzzzz

Posted by: Don from I-270 | November 29, 2007 11:21 AM | Report abuse

If I can't bring myself to watch the Democrat "debates" I certainly won't watch the Republicans. Although it does sound like a lively evening was had by all. The thing about Huckabee is, although he's a conservative Southern Christian, his social and economic policies as Governor of Arkansas were not particularly conservative. He raised taxes, for heaven's sake -- Grover Norquist hates him.

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 29, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Reposted from last Boodle:

Great Britain is playing Dallas? Will the Queen be there?

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 29, 2007 10:49 AM

HM is QB.

Posted by: byoolin | November 29, 2007 10:54 AM

Posted by: Ivansmom | November 29, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Reposted from previous Boodling:

"Watched some of the Republican Debate last night, and it occurred to me that I would not buy a used car from *any* of those guys, particularly Romney.

bc

Posted by: bc | November 29, 2007 08:53 AM"

I would add here that I'm surprised that Fred Thompson isn't making more of a dent in the polls or being more noticeable in the debates.

With the first primaries in January, someone ought to be lighting a fire under that campaign, or if they *really* want to be noticed, make a big pile of the campaign contribution cash they have and light *that.*

It'd be a good YouTube video, anyway.

Speaking of which, I was amused by Fred's response when he saw the gun-waving Cheney characture asking a question, saying for a minute the thought the character was *him.*

An interesting mix of humor and egotism.

bc

Posted by: bc | November 29, 2007 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Bad Sneakers wrote last night about how the E8 Spirograph Mandala with the Lisi-Theory of Everything story made her think on the blossom of Queen Anne's Lace.

I wrote about this here, with flower pictures as a bonus:

Thanks to JA for the physics story and Bad Sneakers for linking this nifty-dandy-keen news to phlowers.

I now have a students writing a final project on the arguments Lisi will have to counter in the Wide World of Physics smackdown that will take place in journals and at chalkboards for the next few years.

More physics! more phlowers! in '08

Posted by: College Parkian | November 29, 2007 11:44 AM | Report abuse

Great Britain couldn't beat Dallas. He11, they barely beat Argentina in the Falklands War. And QEII as quarterback? Give me a break! She moves like an old woman.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | November 29, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Keep an eye on the weather in "certain parts" of paradise: http://mkwc.ifa.hawaii.edu/current/cams/index.cgi?imgindex=14

Posted by: ScienceTim | November 29, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

K-guy, trying not to take sides here, but don't underestimate HMQ. She's as cool as a cucumber sandwich under pressure.

Posted by: SonofCarl | November 29, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse

I'm wiht SoC. If she can't run as fast as she once did, she can still stop men dead with one look.

Posted by: Yoki | November 29, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Now, now, Joel, your "Two Cents" column isn't "universally ignored." Why, just the other day bc mentioned he'd skimmed part of one of them once.

Love the Blofeld artwork. Give a person a little bit of technical skill...

Uh, Shriek, I don't want to insult anybody in your family, but in the last kit you said your older sister got a degree in "French letters." Isn't that phrase an old euphemism for...um...er...ah...ya know...items teenage boys carry in their wallets?

Whaddya guys mean GB couldn't beat Dallas? With Rowly Atkinson at wide receiver? And John Cleese at tight end? Bill Nighy at cornerback? Petula Clark heading up the cheerleading squad? Peter Cook as offensive coordinator sending in the old "Frog and Peach" play? C'mon!

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 29, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

The Beefeaters make a heckuva offensive line too, Yoki.

:-)

Posted by: Scottynuke | November 29, 2007 12:04 PM | Report abuse

ERII will bring the corgies and shout "Off with their heads!" at the defense.
What can Dallas do about that?

Posted by: shrieking denizen | November 29, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

SciTim, is this a hint that we should watch for AstroTim Webcam soon?

Posted by: College Parkian | November 29, 2007 12:06 PM | Report abuse

It may also be a little-known fact that many GB fans wear little foam hats that look like Stilton cheese on their heads, hence their nickname, the "Stiltonheads."

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 29, 2007 12:09 PM | Report abuse

It chuckled writing it Mudge.
I started writing French Lit then went for the litteral translation of Lettres françaises. Can't resist a cheap laugh.
SoC, applying undue pressure to a cucumber sandwiches is not gentlemanly. And may lead to an unedible mess.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | November 29, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

You'd have to put Peter Cook in the back feild.

Posted by: b9 | November 29, 2007 12:14 PM | Report abuse

And before the big game, many of the GB fans come early to the parking lot and set up little tables where they have tea, scones, watercress sandwiches (without crusts), and other comestibles. They call this comradely behavior "crumpetgating."

And you ought see 'em all do "the Wave"-- a whole stadium sequentially raising their right hands, fingers slightly cupped, and doing the QEII wave. And then someone blows a bugle and the entire crowd yells, "Advance in an orderly fashion, if you please!"

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 29, 2007 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Hehehehe, Beefeaters are retired sergeant majors from the British Army. They may be over the hill as offensive linemen.

Posted by: Slyness | November 29, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

The debate started at the same time that the puck was dropped at center ice for the match between the Flyers and the Hurricanes. FSN never could link the play-by-play audio to the video and the match was played in its entirety with nothing but the sounds of the game. It was an interesting night of jumping back and forth. BTW, the year old no fighting rule adopted by the NHL stinks. The 'Canes got taken to the woodshed and never had the opportunity to engage in old school retaliation.

Posted by: jack | November 29, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

The WaPo home page currently has a photo up of Dick Cheney shaking hands with Henry Hyde (both, of course are smiling their sneers at each other). Somewhere a WaPo photo editor is chuckling to himself, thinking, "Here, this will make 'em crazed."

Sadistic b@st@rd.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 29, 2007 12:19 PM | Report abuse

Mudgekins, my good man, I'm so favorably disposed towards your line-up for the Crown, with but one noteable exception. You can't possibly be serious about Cleese as tight end, eh, old boy? Clearly, that position belongs to someone with, say, a more Saxon-ish heritage, eh, wwhat?

Posted by: Don from I-270 | November 29, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, I would have thought that would be "High Teagating" or "Bootgating."

You'll know the GB team (and their athletic supporters) by their bright red uniforms. Known as the Redcoats, of course.

I understand they run a version of the wishbone offense where HM sometimes lines up as a running back; you should see *that* backfield in motion!

bc

Posted by: bc | November 29, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

Dare I say it?

Dudley Moore as the kicker?

(hey, at least I didn't say Heather Mills)

Sorry.
Mudge started it with the Special Olyimpics crack earlier.

bc

Posted by: bc | November 29, 2007 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Bootgating. Of course. I am kicking myself.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 29, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

They'll show Dallas what the have under the bonnet.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | November 29, 2007 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Well done, BTW, bc.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 29, 2007 12:38 PM | Report abuse

I *do* think something needs to be done to even up the chances. I suggest that since Canuckistani football allows 12 persons to play upon the sward, instead of 11, that GB likewise be allowed to play with 12, and that Dallas remain at 11. Second, instead of kicking fields goals through the uprights, that Dallas's field goal kicker be required to hit a wicket.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 29, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Silly English persons. I f*rt in your general direction!

Posted by: kurosawaguy | November 29, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

I daresay Dallas will be quite at sixes and sevens watching GB continually driving down the 'wrong' side of the field, what?

Posted by: byoolin | November 29, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

IIRC, last time GB came calling in Red, it seems they won, yes?

Posted by: dr | November 29, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

OK, but Dallas wears throwback jerseys and GB paints their bodies blue and plays nekkid.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | November 29, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

I assume, dr, you are talking about the late unpleasantness of 1812-15? It is the belief among the colonists that they "won," though unbiased historians are inclined to rate it a draw.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 29, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Not a hint, College Parkian; I just happened to pull up my bookmark for that page and thought that it might go well with this crowd.

Posted by: ScienceTim | November 29, 2007 1:05 PM | Report abuse

Is that picture of Dr. No or Dr. Evil? I watched the 2nd Austin Powers movie last night. Man I am still laughing.

Where is tonight's game, cause if it was in Green bay and they played nekkid, they wouldn't have to paint their bodies blue.

I have the NFL network on my TV, but I got to work. If anyone wants to watch it here, my house is always open,all I ask is if you throw a log or two in the woodstove.

Posted by: greenwithenvy | November 29, 2007 1:09 PM | Report abuse

I don't think I want to see the GB's team's athletic supporters, thank you very much.

I see Henry Hyde is smirking thinking about his "youthful indiscretions." Especially the 8-year affair he had during his "youthful" 40s.

Posted by: TBG | November 29, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

Front page alert. I hope to meet some of you for high tea in the bunker. Please bring along the Spirograph.

Posted by: jack | November 29, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

You mean all this effort and it will be a tie? Well I never...

Posted by: dr | November 29, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Front page alert AGAIN? I'm not finished with my doilies! (In fact, I haven't even started them.)

Oh well, jack, I'll see you in the bunker. Will bring tea and scones and orange marmalade.

Posted by: Slyness | November 29, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Gail Collins wrote the following about Romney in her NYT op-ed:

Huckabee is threatening Mitt Romney in Iowa, home of many evangelical voters, at least a few of whom are expressing concern that if a Mormon president prayed for guidance in a crisis, God might not hear him.

Romney, however, is not going to let you feel sorry about this, gentle reader. Every time you feel the least twinge of sympathy for him, he's going to start screeching about immigrants again.

It's the "screeching about immigrants" part that bothers me. Given Romeny's heritage vis-a-vis Mexcio, you'd expect him to be a bit softer on the immigration issue, wouldn't you? Weren't Romney's family members immigrants in Mexico? Were Mexicans squawking when a bunch of Mormons crossed the border into their country and set up an enclave?

Romney's father, former Michigan Gov. George Romney, was born in Chihuahua, Mexico, where Mormons fled in the 1800s to escape religious persecution and U.S. laws forbidding polygamy. He and his family did not return to the United States until 1912, more than two decades after the church issued "The Manifesto" banning polygamy.

COLONIA JUAREZ, Mexico --Mike Romney, a school administrator in this small town in the Mexican desert, and Mitt Romney, a candidate for president of the United States, have never met.

But the two distant cousins are just a year apart in age, and both are descendants of the same great-grandfather, Miles Park Romney, who fled the United States and, at the direction of church leaders, helped create this colony 122 years ago as a refuge for polygamous Mormons.

This website lists Willard Mitt Romney as a Loomis descendant...Joseph, Nathaniel, Moses, Catherine, who married a Wolcott, and so on down the line.

Posted by: Loomis | November 29, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, my daughter in Grade 7 is currently studing the American Revolution, this morning she was reading little parts from her text book. She came upon the attempted Patriot/US invasion of Quebec City December 31, 1775. It included this notation (editorial), "the Patriots excepted to be seen as liberators, and were surprised that they were not...

I just have to say one more thing, the idea of how one interprets the bible just seems like such an inappropriate discussion for a potential leader of a democratic, multi-ethnic country. If you can't separate your religion from your politics - I believe you should be disqualified. I know like that will happen - but I have a dream!

Posted by: dmd | November 29, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

The pic is Donald Pleasence as little Jimmy Bond's arch nemesis, E.S. Blofeld, the original for Dr. Evil. Doc No was tall, Chinese, and had bionic mitts which proved to be a hindrance in climbing wet metal columns and led to his eventual demise.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | November 29, 2007 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I think we should invite Star Von Bunny to the bunker with us. She'll add a certain je ne sais quoi*, don't you agree?

*Or is it 'quois?'

Posted by: Maggie O'D | November 29, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

C'est "quoi."

Also acceptable:

"That rabbit's dynamite!"

Posted by: byoolin | November 29, 2007 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Weren't the Acadians forced out of present-day Nova Scotia because New Englanders thought they posed a security risk? If so, might Quebec residents a few years later see invading New Englanders in 1775 as wanting to do something similar? There certainly wasn't any French-American alliance at the time.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | November 29, 2007 1:51 PM | Report abuse

dmd - that's an excellent insight about Quebec. (About that battle. According to a book I am reading if it hadn't been for the increased tolerance of the Quebec defenders to smallpox, y'all might be spekin' 'merican today. But I digress.)

Soon after the invasion of Iraq, I created the following little "thought experiment."

What if, after the contested election of 2000, the Canadians had invaded America in order to liberate us from Bush who, in their opinion, was not a legitimate ruler. (Besides, they were pretty sure we had WMD.)

Anyway, after forbidding all the Republicans from holding office they attempted to install Ralph Nader as president and handed most major posts in the government to members of the Green Party.

How do you think the vast majority of Americans would respond?

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 29, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

What about plastic-wrapped carrots and cauliflowers with French-language labelling? A Republican candidate should yell "Non!" while smashing a chou-fleur under foot.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | November 29, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

RD, correct I read that half the US force was lost to smallpox.

Chuckling at the invasion RD, we have some politicians with strange beliefs up here I would like to chuck as well.

DotC, if I remember correctly the Acadians in the maritimes were forced out by the British, for all the regular reason that keep repeating in history, different cultures, languages, religion.

Interestingly the approach they are using to teach my daughter is "The American Revolution - and why Canada cared". One result was that, (not sure Shriek will agree with this), there was a more tolerant attitude to Quebec and the french culture, the Brits fearing they would loose us as a colony were more willing to make concessions than they had been in the past (Acadians). Keeping a historical perspective on the concessions is necessary.

Posted by: dmd | November 29, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Well, RD, some of the more open minded 'Mericans might celebrate the liberation with Duct Tape and Brador.

Posted by: jack | November 29, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Congratulations to Midnight Oil's lead singer, Peter Garret. He's been named Australia's Minister of Enviroment and Heritage.

Posted by: Boko999 | November 29, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

RD, I can assure you that the *only* people less likely to want Canada to take over the U.S. are Canadians.

Hardly any Tim Hortons', no Harvey's, not a Canadian Tire anyfreakingwhere, and try and find a decent rink in most towns.

And FOUR downs? Why? Can't do it in three?

[mumbles something about 'taunting you a second time.']

Posted by: byoolin | November 29, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to have to rethink the way that the children's stuffed animals are named.

Posted by: jack | November 29, 2007 2:14 PM | Report abuse

I believe it was in the preamble to the Declaration of Independance that Jefferson accused the British of establishing a foreign religion when it guaranteed Francophone language and religious freedom in the Quebec Act of 1759.

No Comment.

Posted by: Boko999 | November 29, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

So, these two Canuckastanis went out to go ice-fishing. Just as they start to drill a hole in the ice, a voice from on high booms out to them, "there aren't any fish there".

Figuring that God is watching them, they move on down the ice and start to drill again. "there aren't any fish, there, either."

"God, is that you? Where do you want us to fish, then, God?" they yell back.

"This is the rink manager" replied the voice.

Posted by: Don from I-270 | November 29, 2007 2:26 PM | Report abuse

And as I have mentioned before our balls are (very slightly) bigger too.

One of the many reasons the Acadians were deported (Malouines/Falklands, Louisiana, Australia, etc) was to give good agricultural land to the incoming Loyalists. You know, those merkins who felt tyranny under GRIII was a better deal than freedom and the pursuit of happiness.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | November 29, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Canadians are just so... provincial.

Posted by: crc | November 29, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

If a Canadian were telling that joke, the two fellows would be either Newfoundlanders or Ukrainians. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Posted by: Yoki | November 29, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

Favorite hockey movie. Just vote for one, eh? And remember I said "favorite" not "best."

A) Slap Shot
B) Mighty Ducks
C) Mystery Alaska

Posted by: kurosawaguy | November 29, 2007 2:42 PM | Report abuse

No comparison Slap Shot.

Mighty Ducks is bad

Posted by: dmd | November 29, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Yoki, yeah, the discussion seems to be angling downward when the rehashed ethnic jokes come out. I think we need to change the topic. But first: k-guy, of course it's (a). I missed the one about the US 1980 team, but I heard that was good too.

Posted by: SonofCarl | November 29, 2007 2:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm going to go all topical for a moment, to note that if Fred Thompson seems a little lost in these debates, it should be noted in his defense that there is a writers strike.

byoolin, didn't you get the memo? You know, about how we were going to keep that an ecretsay?

Posted by: dr | November 29, 2007 2:50 PM | Report abuse

Slap Shot by a countrymile.
Les boys (garage league hockey, II and III aren't as good)
He shoots, he scores! (the original TV series, Lance et compte! in French)
Maurice Richard

Posted by: shrieking denizen | November 29, 2007 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Shriek - thanks for the tune cootie.

~I've got big balls
They're such big balls
And they're dirty big balls
He's got big balls
She's got big balls
But we've got the biggest balls of them all!~

Slap Shot.

Posted by: Kerric | November 29, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Miracle on Ice, I believe Soc.
Pretty sappy stuff.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | November 29, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

Shriek, that's hitting below the belt. Besides, everyone says size doesn't matter.

Boko, the Dec. of Ind doesn't have a preamble; it's the Constitution you may be thinking of. But neither mentions any such claim, although the Dec does contain a long list of grievances (which you Canucks probably thinking iof as "whining").

Maggie, Star Von Bunny is welcome in the bunker, and he/she can even bring Star Jones, if he/she wants--but only if Carine Roitfeld comes along. No Carine-- no bunny.

Shriek, the Acadians were expelled in 1755-- two decades BEFORE the Revolution, so "incoming" American Loyalists had nuthin' to do with it. It was entirely a matter between you guys up north in Haute Maine, and the Frogs. (In fact, it was us'ns who took some of them in, in Loosiana.) See wiki at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Expulsion

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 29, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Slap Shot. Some of my HS friends were cast as extras for the game shots that were done in the War Memorial in Syracuse.

Posted by: jack | November 29, 2007 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Mudge, didn't Louisiana still belong to the french then?

Posted by: dmd | November 29, 2007 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Ok, I am going to vote for Mystery Alaska, because

a. Russell Crowe is in it.
b. Mike Myers appears and whose entire performance is (or should be) a famous movie quote.

Posted by: dr | November 29, 2007 3:01 PM | Report abuse

True, dmd, they did. By "us" I mean those of us south of the St. Lawrence. And we liked the place so much we bought it, displaced Frogo-Acadians and all. I mean, c'mon.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 29, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

I plead CubScoutitis as a defense, SonofCarl. I spent the evening introducing 7 year old boys to the wonders of the hand saws, hammers, nails, drills, and the like. I'm so happy that we all still have our fingers and eyeballs, that a 30+ year old yukyuk is like, expected.

Posted by: Don from I-270 | November 29, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

They made a couple movies about hockey?

Gee.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 29, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Bourbon St - Priceless! :-)

Posted by: dmd | November 29, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

You been on Bourbon Street lately, dmd? If it's one thing they're clear about, it price.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 29, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Slap Shot.

Les Boys is an excellent write-in candidate.

A couple of tv series worth considering:

Power Play (CTV) was a fun series starring Michael Riley. It also included Mr. Tori Spelling, Dean McDermott.

The Tournament (CBC) was a great little series, too, and I'm trying to get ma soeur to tape Rent-a-Goalie (Showcase, I think) for me.

Posted by: byoolin | November 29, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Actually, this is THE BEST film ever made about hockey.

Posted by: dr | November 29, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Actually, it was the Spanish who owned Louisiana at the time, come to think of it.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 29, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

dr, I wouldn't have the nerve to vote for it above Slapshot but I like Mystery Alaska. Little Richard is in it, too, and the whole cast is really good. The writing might be a little uneven but overall it's a fun movie, humorous but not just silly.

Posted by: kbertocci | November 29, 2007 3:12 PM | Report abuse

Is "Strange Brew" considered a hockey movie?

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 29, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

from Wiki:

The following table lists the destinations to which Acadians were deported, together with estimates of how many arrived at each port:

Connecticut 667
Quebec 2,000
England 866
France 3,500
Louisiana 300
TOTAL 12,617

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 29, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Strange Brew? A hockey movie? Take off, eh...

"This young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle. Number six, Ogie Oglethorpe."

Posted by: Number 6, byoolin Oglethorpe. | November 29, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Slap Shot, and I should know. My grade school was named after the great "Ace" Bailey. His career was cut short by a vicious blind side attack by the Bruin's Eddie Shore.

I had my first adult tooth knocked out at that school.
*Sigh*

Posted by: Boko999 | November 29, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I would rate "Slap Shot" and "Mystery Alaska" #1 and #1A (mostly for the aforementioned cameos by Mike Myers and Little Richard). "Mighty Ducks" is dreck, although not as bad as "Youngbood" the Rob Lowe hockey vehicle. Now THAT's real ultradreck.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | November 29, 2007 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Slap Shot

Although I do like the chant from The Mighty Ducks: "Fall down, act hurt, get indignant!"

I had never read the Declaration of Independence (refer to previous statements about 70s-era high school education). Then I heard it read on the 4th of July in front of the National Archives by Thurgood Marshall. I had never realized it was a very detailed b1tch list.

Posted by: Raysmom | November 29, 2007 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Off Topic but pretty big earthquake just hit off Martinique 7.4?

Posted by: dmd | November 29, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I concur with the #s 1 and 1A in K'guy's 3:22. It is so darn hard to make a decent sports movie, it's a wonder any are watchable.

Posted by: frostbitten | November 29, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Don, s'okay.

When you think about it, expelling a bunch of Acadian unlawful combatants was the last thing that all the anglos on both sides of the (now) border agreed until later reconciled. So at least we could all agree on what a menace to society that nasty Evangeline was.

Posted by: SonofCarl | November 29, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Bad choice of words on my part Mudge. The New England Planters came from the English Colonies first, the general idea was that this strategically important area had to be populated by Anglos. The Loyalists came in throves later, when the "Troubles" started. Nova Scotia is lousy with people claiming to be Loyalists' descendant. There were even Black Loyalists, either freed men or slaves of white loyalists whose descendants still inhabits the Halifax area.
When I look at the barren interior of the peninsula compared to the relative lushness of New-England I ask myself (silently) what the h e c k were the loyalists thinking.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | November 29, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

FYI ALERT!!!

Tonight on PBS Charlie Rose is going to interview John Edwards exclusively for an entire hour. I'm going to try to stay awake for that. I do like Edwards.

That is all. Carry on.

Posted by: firsttimeblogger | November 29, 2007 3:35 PM | Report abuse

But what about Brian's Song. (the real one) Not hockey but a very good sports movie.

I cried.

Posted by: dr | November 29, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

gosh, I thought what with the holiday and long weekend spent with family and friends the boodle would be a big canuki fest. Took Monday till now (just a couple hours a day, not the regular 8) to catch up though.

So many things I would have wanted to comment on, but now the only thing that comes to mind is a thanks to SD for Les Rita news I didn't know about.

A Bride and Groom: first dance as a couple???: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vqiw-Kqtlr0

Posted by: omni | November 29, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Those claiming Loyalist ancestors are thick on the ground in Eastern Ontario, too. Kingston and area is lousy with them.

Posted by: Yoki | November 29, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Here are some good sports movies-

North Dallas Forty
Hoop Dreams
Hoosiers
Bull Durham
Breaking Away
Grand Prix (but only on the big big screen)
Swimming Upstream
Raging Bull
The Great White Hope
Bang the Drum Slowly

Unfortunately sports stories as a genre lend themselves to formula and that is one of the things that is hard to break through and tell an interesting story with good characters. Way way too many involve athletes with illnesses- Lou Gehrig, Gayle Sayers, etc. Another problem is that many are biopics where the audience is too familiar with the story and has plenty of time to pick at the details.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | November 29, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

The area I grew up in was full of Loyalists as well. They even have an association.

Posted by: dmd | November 29, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Yoki. Do you the think my nightmares about tar, feathers, and rails may be some sort of racial memory?

Posted by: Boko999 | November 29, 2007 3:58 PM | Report abuse

More favorite sports movies

Chariots of Fire (if running counts as a sport movie)
Rocky

I also liked All the Right Moves.

Posted by: SonofCarl | November 29, 2007 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I don't think you have anything to worry about Boko. They really despise the poor, ignorant Irish, like me.

Posted by: Yoki | November 29, 2007 4:02 PM | Report abuse

I think they despise anyone not UEL Yoki.

Posted by: dmd | November 29, 2007 4:07 PM | Report abuse

Yoki's Irish? Who knew?

The women on the boodle just leave me in slack-jawed, amazed befuddlement and wonder. Then, again, that could describe my normal mental state.

Posted by: Don from I-270 | November 29, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

I thought the debate was GREAT...

...I am a Democrat

Posted by: Adrick Henry | November 29, 2007 4:23 PM | Report abuse

K-guy, add "Vision Quest" and (thanks, SoC) "Chariots of Fire" to that list, along with "Requiem for a Heavyweight," "Field of Dreams" and "Damn Yankees." Add "Cinderella Man," "Seabiscuit," "Remember the Titans," "A League of Their Own,"

I'm willing to negitate on "The Hustler" (I like pool, but am ambivalent about calling it a "sport," especially the "hustling" part of it.) And I liked "Downhill Racer," "The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner" and "Long Gone" (speaking part cameo by Teller of Penn & Teller; he was great). I might also have to go with "Best in Show."

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 29, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

And add a footnote for "Semi-Tough" as a great book but a lousy movie.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 29, 2007 4:28 PM | Report abuse

How about 'Bend it Like Beckham' and 'Bad News Bears'

Posted by: omni | November 29, 2007 4:31 PM | Report abuse

College Parkian and I are Irish too. We're EVERYWHERE!!

Posted by: Maggie O'D | November 29, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

No Raging Bull?

Posted by: Anonymous | November 29, 2007 4:42 PM | Report abuse

It's a flippin papist infested blog, oh waitamennint, I'm forgetting I'm a nominal RC too.

The longest yard. (with a young Burt)

Posted by: shrieking denizen | November 29, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

was it here on the boodle that someone recently posted about being unable to de-cork a wine bottle without pulverizing the cork? If so here are two solutions:

1) only buy wine that have those synthetic man made corks.
2) since that option sucks...note that a cork is 1 and 3/4 inches in length. Measure your cork screw. With the cork screw I have I know that if I turn in all but the last spiral I've got complete insertion. A secret for getting it in right, is to place the tip dead center, push down, and turn the bottle about half to one complete turn. Turn the cork screw the rest of the way. It should now come out clean.

Posted by: omni | November 29, 2007 4:44 PM | Report abuse

"Vision Quest"- Matthew Modine made "Cutthroat Island" He's dead to me.
"Chariots of Fire" Too much slo-mo. Lovely score, though.
"Requiem for a Heavyweight" is good, but "The Setup" is better.
"Field of Dreams" sends me into insulin shock.
"Damn Yankees" Puleeze.
"Cinderella Man" Worth watching for Paul Giamatti alone.
"Seabiscuit" Also worth watching.
"Remember the Titans" formulaic and inaccurate, saved only by Denzel's star power. My daughter went to that high school.
"A League of Their Own" Yes!
"The Hustler" Oh, yes!
"Downhill Racer" Eh.
"The Loneliness of the Long-Distance Runner" Eh.
"Long Gone" unseen.
"Best in Show" hilarious, but hardly a sport.
"Rocky" If you can forget all the sequelae. The first half is great, the second inspirational half is well done but by the numbers.

I admit I'm a hard sell. On the other hand, have you seen "Sugata Sanshiro"?

Posted by: kurosawaguy | November 29, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

I'm somewhere between 1/4 and 1/32 Irish. Can never remember the breakdown between Irish, English, Scottish, and Welsh...I am half Great Britain...the rest is Luxembourgian and Italian. Though that Italian may originally be Greek

Another good one is 'Fever Pitch'. the one about football, not the one about baseball. Though you could say football only has a cameo. (Note, the book wasn't good if you were to ask me)

Aaand, I'm surprised my previous post went through...hehehe...take that filter...KaPow

Posted by: omni | November 29, 2007 4:52 PM | Report abuse

Raging Bull- see my 3:50.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | November 29, 2007 4:53 PM | Report abuse

Is that some kind of sushi?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 29, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

I used to be about half Scotch, but then I had to give it up.

Posted by: crc | November 29, 2007 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Yes, I have! During my martial-arts training days, lo these many years ago.

You know, on many levels I think it is a better movie that "The Karate Kid."

Posted by: Yoki | November 29, 2007 4:56 PM | Report abuse

Do you remember SCTV's Chariots of Eggs?

Posted by: TBG | November 29, 2007 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Which one k-guy? The original is by far the best of them, although the remakes and the sequel are not without their own merit.

Posted by: Kerric | November 29, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

What amazes me is how a person like Romney can lay claim to being a devoted follower of Jesus (and them other Latter-Day Saints, doncha know) and even suggest that he could countenance waterboarding or any other such application of physical stress on a prisoner. Application of physical stress in order to coerce the divulging of information obviously is torture. If it's minor stress, then it's minor torture -- but it's still on the continuum. Unlike military training, athletic training, or fraternity hazing, the prisoner undergoing coercive physical stress never has the option to quit. In those other situations, you may say that you "can't" quit, but of course that's not true -- you can quit, you just don't want to face the consequences. The inability to opt out is what makes it torture. Waterboarding, stress positions, the whole schmear -- it's all immoral, unethical, evil, and really, really, stupid and ineffectual.

Of course, there are other deeply religious people in public life who also find a way to accept torture and claim no religious qualms. I can only deduce that their religion is Republican Partyism, and that Christ-related stuff is just a foible, an affectation. If they actually believed it, then I can't imagine they would be so willing to sacrifice principle for momentary physical safety.

Posted by: Tim | November 29, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

Or the Budweiser commercial with the Clydesdales running through the pounding surf to that suspiciously familiar score?

We called it "Chariots of Beer."

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 29, 2007 5:04 PM | Report abuse

And to this day my wife cannot watch the Academy Awards without commenting on how absurd it was that Chariots of Fire won "best costume design." For those stylish sweat suits.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 29, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Mudge?
Mudge?
Can I come out of my room now?

Whew, he's gone. One little tune cootie and you get grounded. Sheesh.

Well, I have a whole day of boodling to catch up on.

I can no longer hear "Paradise By The Dashboard Light" without remembering my son completely unironically playing tonsil hockey in the back seat with his girlfriend after a Trans Siberian Orchestra concert while Meatloaf gave play by play on the car radio.

Speaking of hockey, the greatest hockey scene in movie history was when the puck flew of the roof of the Quick Stop.

John McCain may get my vote because he seems to be the only candidate that doesn't believe in either torture or a literal interpretation of Genesis. And not the one with Tony Banks in it.

Special to k-guy: The President's Analyst is the greatest political thriller spoof ever. Any movie with both James Coburn and Schneider from One Day At A Time has to be genius.

The only "Les Boys" I'm familiar with are the ones in the Dire Straits song. They don't play hockey, les boys do cabaret.

Greatest sports movies of all time in no particular order:

Bad News Bears Go To Japan
Gus
Air Bud
D3
The World's Greatest Athlete

The first date I ever went on with my wife was Breaking Away.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 29, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

A Shot at Glory was pleasant (Robert Duvall as a Scottish football coach, of all things).

No known loyalists in the family. (Slovaks and Southwest Va. Scots-Irish and Swedes). It would be fun to arrange a water balloon match between members of the Society of the Cincinnati and some Loyalists.

Posted by: Dave of the Coonties | November 29, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I qualify for the Daughters of the American Revolution, so *I* cannot possibly be mistaken for a Loyalist. Totally Scotch-Irish Presbyterian on one side and Irish Baptist on the other. I'd dig out the stories but I'm afraid they would be tedious.

Enjoyed the listing of sports movies today. I liked Rocky and Chariots of Fire and Seabiscuit but can't say I've seen others.

My brother sent me some comments by Hillary Clinton which were supposed to show what a bad, communist person she is. I had to remind him that it's stupid to pay attention to such things without context.

D@mnit, what I want in a president is competence at discharging the duties, i.e. solving problems and creating the infrastructure for prosperity and stable growth, not just in the U.S. but globally. That is just a start.

Posted by: Slyness | November 29, 2007 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Cool Runnings, even though it is about 99% inaccurate

I could mention a lot of other sappy titles that weren't great but that I do love: for instance 'Cutting Edge' and II. 'Stick It'. 'Vision Quest'. and another, the title escapes me, but it had Mariel Hemingway I think...Personal Best...IIRC... she has a lesbo scene in that one...

Posted by: omni | November 29, 2007 5:26 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, just thought I would veer suddenly back on topic. You know, just to loosen things up a little.

The fact that we even remotely have to discuss whether a candidate is "really" an adherent of his claimed religion is a bit sick. The problem is that these guys loudly proclaim their religious affiliation as a shorthand for people of similar religious sensibility to determine whether they share ideals, etc. But it's a bald lie. That puts us in a position of comparing religious rhetoric with political rhetoric, and that's a nasty place to be, because it demands that we make a religious test for office.

I never fail to be sadly amused that the sole politician who seemed to successfully integrate his religious life and his political life is the guy who is most thoroughly condemned by so many of his claimed coreligionists: Jimmy Carter. I like Carter, even though I don't personally share his religious ardor, because it is clear that he really means it. He lives his life and makes his decisions according to the philosophy that he openly espouses. For which, the religious right hates him (is "hate" a Christian virtue?), presumably because he makes them look bad.

Posted by: Tim | November 29, 2007 5:28 PM | Report abuse

Muriel Hemingway Omni, Muriel...

Posted by: shrieking denizen | November 29, 2007 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Here's the thing. The authority of the Office of President has gotten too great. A President is not supposed to be a king (or queen.)

I remember a discussion here comparing Bush to Napoleon. But America in the 21st century is not the same as post-revolutionary France. We are supposed to have strong institutions and checks and balances to buffer the country (and world) from poor Chief Executives. But, as recent history shows, these buffers are in sad, sad shape.

So far more important to me than making absolutely sure that the next President is Practically Perfect in Every Way, is to fix the system so that this doesn't need to be a job requirement. Because I guar-an-tee that Bush will not be the last dreadful President we elect.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 29, 2007 5:34 PM | Report abuse

No that is Mariel Omni, you are right. She was listed a Muriel a few times, this is my story and I'm sticking to it.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | November 29, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Good thinking RDP. I'm a little worried about the likable, funny and reasonable Huckabee. The man is a young earther FCOL. And he was a rather secretive and authoritarian governor according to some reports. I just don't think the POTUS should be some kind of popish figure to the evangelical Christian, it is fundamentally unhealthy.
And don't get me started on secretive governments. I'm so happy our current hyper-secretive DG will retire soon...

Posted by: shrieking denizen | November 29, 2007 5:43 PM | Report abuse

I find that even the mention of the phrase "Brian's Song" makes me cry.

Just typing this, I am crying.

fyi, although I realize that politics is not what anyone here is interested in, I am going to blog on it again tomorrow. Fair warning.

Posted by: Achenbach | November 29, 2007 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Listen to Romney's answers in the debate. Close your eyes.... and it's Slick Willie Clinton all over again. A lying weasel is a lying weasel is a lying weasel is a lying weasel is a lying weasel is a lying weasel is a lying weasel no matter what his denomination or party. If the Mittster and HRC are the nominees, the election will be the Mother of All Triangulations.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | November 29, 2007 5:48 PM | Report abuse

Huckabee as Owen Meany.

All music from the Bugs Bunny cartoons, Loony Tunes, and Merrie Melodies, etc., will henceforth be known as "toon" cooties.

Posted by: Jumper | November 29, 2007 5:54 PM | Report abuse

You're right Mudge, I usually get things muddled. I was referring to the "indictment" part of the DOI.

"For abolishing the free system of English laws in a neighboring province, establishing therein an arbitrary government, and enlarging its boundaries, so as to render it at once an example and fit instrument for introducing the same absolute rule into these colonies;"-DOI

This is a reference to the Quebec Act of 1774. 1759 was the year Wolf committed suicide by Frenchman.

Posted by: Boko999 | November 29, 2007 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, RD, and the Electoral College was supposed to protect us against insane maniacs from taking control.

Posted by: Jumper | November 29, 2007 5:57 PM | Report abuse

Okay, Crybaby, tomorrow we'll talk about Weepers. Let's see, there's "Terms of Endearment", "The English Patient", "Ikiru", "La Strada", did I say "Bang the Drum Slowly"? Yeah, ok, then there's...

Posted by: kurosawaguy | November 29, 2007 5:59 PM | Report abuse

...Hotel Rwanda

Posted by: Maggie O'D | November 29, 2007 6:00 PM | Report abuse

Drive-by boodling:

Carter's a very good ex-president. He wasn't as popular when he actually was president or he'd have gotten re-elected.

Yellojkt, cute blog. Wow, you weren't kidding when you said you were a redhead. Your hair color has mellowed out with age faster than my brother's has.

Tim, their religion is power, and their faith is weak, IMO.

Cassandra, hope you feel better. If it's not your personal problem to solve, best you can do is be yourself and take care of what you can. Good luck.

Yoki, I agree, the Karate Kid is a cute movie, but it's pretty bad martial arts. The Crane kick was a good way to get killed, IMO. However I did like Pat Morita considerably in that movie, and it's stuck in my mind since I was a kid.

College Parkian, I'm sure you know this about Phlower Physics Power-- or at least phlowery math, but here's a lovely link on the Fibonacci sequence.

The fibonacci sequence is 1,1,2,3,5,8,13,21,34,55...

Bonquet appetit!

*Steps up the gas and screeches away on the snowmobile.*

Posted by: Wilbrod | November 29, 2007 6:07 PM | Report abuse

pre·am·ble /ˈpriˌæmbəl, priˈæm-/
-noun
1. an introductory statement; preface; introduction.
2. the introductory part of a statute, deed, or the like, stating the reasons and intent of what follows.

A good example of of a preamble is:
"We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness....."

Posted by: Boko999 | November 29, 2007 6:08 PM | Report abuse

Joel, it's not that we are not interested in politics. It's just that you do it so well that I, at least, can't think of anything to add except, "what he said."

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 29, 2007 6:11 PM | Report abuse

This is a great picture here of Walt Frazier (left) and Earl "The Pearl" Monroe in 1973. They've got some style, don't they?

Posted by: TBG | November 29, 2007 6:16 PM | Report abuse

Oh.. and speaking of "Brian's Song"... they show that movie to people who are participating in studies relating to tears, whether it's why we cry or the physiological/chemical makeup of tears.

Researches have found that it's pretty much like turning on a faucet.

Posted by: TBG | November 29, 2007 6:22 PM | Report abuse

The Fibonacci Alligator at the Pompideau Center.

Who says art and math can't intersect?

Posted by: yellojkt | November 29, 2007 6:24 PM | Report abuse

I am convinced that if someone were to listen the score from "Brian's Song" while watching "Caged Death Match of Blood" that person would still end up blubbering.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 29, 2007 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Sorry Wilbrod. I was purposely being absurd to poke k'guy's funny bone. The Karate Kid may be entertaining on a shallow level, but it is not a quality movie and should never be mentioned in the same breath as Kurasawa.

Posted by: Yoki | November 29, 2007 6:43 PM | Report abuse

We *love* politics, Joel. Don't hold back.

Posted by: Yoki | November 29, 2007 6:44 PM | Report abuse

"Everybody knew that Canadians are the best hockey players."

Oh My!!

Posted by: Maggie O'D | November 29, 2007 7:06 PM | Report abuse

I promise to make three politics-kit related posts on Friday.

In your spare time, just open up the frivolity in physics blog....

Posted by: College Parkian | November 29, 2007 7:07 PM | Report abuse

But wait! There's more!!

Posted by: Maggie O'D | November 29, 2007 7:08 PM | Report abuse

From the last kit, Mudge posted the lyrics to "Evangeline" which made for a lovely tune cootie. The expanded version of the album (yeah, I'm an old guy) "The Last Waltz" is excellent. Even better, though, is the expanded version of "Rock of Ages," one of the finest live rock records ever released with tight playing by The Band and great horn arrangements by Allen Toussaint. There's also their box set that came out about a year and a half or so ago with the seemingly generic title "A Musical History" that is certainly worth taking a look at with four CDs and one DVD covering their, well, musical history.

Posted by: pj | November 29, 2007 7:19 PM | Report abuse

We've been bad Joel, but I try not to do comment out of repsect. Sort of. I'm not competent to comment on something I know so little about. I might comment seriously on occasion but I don't know how much I can add unless you look for the international perspective.

I will say this in regards to Mr. Carter. He wasn't popular, but he lives by his code of beliefs and that is an honourable man.

If there is ONE among those who stand now, who is honourable, who lives his beliefs, elect him or her. Please. Don't worry about party if there is a truly honourable man. Seriously, deeply and most heartfelt, as a citizen of the international community, what I'd like to see in your president is a Colin Powell. Its just a crying shame he isn't but I respect him a whole bunch more for not running.

And if you can't have that for heavens sake, get David McCullough. Cause he has the voice. (but not neccessarily Fred Thompson even if he also has the voice because that would be interferring)

Posted by: dr | November 29, 2007 7:19 PM | Report abuse

Not me, RD, never seen Brian's Song. :-)

Yanno, I like a certain amount of what Huckabee is saying, but . . . that ability to separate his religious beliefs from legislation and appointment of judges appears to be lacking. When does intolerance of others' beliefs become self-righteousness? Also didn't like his dis on Hillary the other day. He'd seemed above that before.

I'm etsy'ed out for the night, but planning more for the weekend.

Tomorrow marks the last official day I'll be getting up in the middle of the night to work. Back to the daily commute. While almost everyone was considerate about not scheduling meetings during the day when I was off, I did find I was skittering out of the loop. But I think 3 full days in work and 2 totally off would have worked. They already put me on 3 new projects, so I guess I'm being lassoed back.

Posted by: dbG | November 29, 2007 7:31 PM | Report abuse

College Parkian, I'm pleased you liked my E8 flower comparison. Loved the photo of the Queen Anne's lace that you linked to on your blog. I used to have a lot of them in my previous yard. I must find some wild ones to plant here.

Having read some on last night's debate all I can think of is how mean spirited they all seem. And yes, I think a lot of their religion-based talk is a bunch of whooey. And the Post giving space to that sillyness about Obama being a Muslim is just so wrong. I would be very happy to have a president who doesn't sound like a not too bright seventh grader every time he opens his mouth. For now, that makes me lean toward Obama, but as I am already sick of the whole thing, I'm not paying strict attention to the rest of the Dems.

Maggie, I'm not sure about the others, but the paintings of Orr and Sanderson are not very good likenesses, especially Sanderson. I used to have a huge crush on him way back when. Gawd, I am so old!

Posted by: Bad Sneakers | November 29, 2007 7:41 PM | Report abuse

I'm glad for you, dbG. Being in the loop is important, and living to natural circadian rhythms at least part of the time even more so, for your health and longevity and mood. I guess I should say "my" health and l & m. I could not do the hours you do for any length of time without a breakdown.

Posted by: Yoki | November 29, 2007 7:55 PM | Report abuse

As always, I appreciate your warmth and concern, Yoki!

I come from a long line of night-owls on my dad's side. The main problem has turned out to be I should have been in bed 2 hours ago. :-)

Posted by: dbG | November 29, 2007 8:28 PM | Report abuse

For pity's sake, dbG, go to bed! :)

Posted by: Yoki | November 29, 2007 8:32 PM | Report abuse

1. Maggie: Sheesh! For some reason I kept looking over my shoulder when I was looking at those paintings. And while I'm questioning my manliness ...

2. re Weepers. Someone (TBG?) mentioned the children's book "I Love You Forever". So I noticed it in the bookstore on the weekend. Double Sheesh! I had to immediately close the book and go over to the constitutional studies section (Mildred, look at that man all teary looking at that copy of Lord Durham's Report of 1840). So I bought it for my wife which leads to...

3. Yes, yes, I'm sure I speak for all the Canadian boodlers when I say that we're eagerly anticipating the next US politics kit with your election next week and all. What? Oh crap. Well, can I put a request in for a Christmas gift idea kit at some point? I'm sure the collective wisdom of the boodle will make for great ideas. And holiday season brings me to...

4. Good thoughts going your way, Cassandra.

Posted by: SonofCarl | November 29, 2007 8:37 PM | Report abuse

(a) I see I got us back on (Joel's) topic. Well done, me!

(b) I'm not sure I agree about Hillary being a lying weasel. Her hubby, yes, I can accept that. I don't disagree that she is extremely cautious and is not bold in how she presents herself. I am not sure this is lying, nor am I sure it is bad.

(c) A little constructive criticism from our Haute Maine colleagues in this experiment we call "democracy" is not entirely unwelcome.

(d) An honorable person with crazy notions is not someone I want in the White House. I'm not sayin' that any such persons are running for President (although I am implying it); I'm just saying that there are limits to the value of honor as a selection criterion.

(e) I think I may have seen Brian's Song in school some time. Didn't make much impression on me.

Posted by: Tim | November 29, 2007 9:06 PM | Report abuse

Methinks our Joel had his tongue lodged firmly midst cheek when he noted we "aren't interested in politics."

Yes, yello, you may come out. You've served your penance.

The one I can't watch without tearing up is "Schindler's List."

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 29, 2007 9:09 PM | Report abuse

I can't find anything wrong with this article about attacks on Senator Obama, insinuating he's a Muslim plant.
Bob Cesca over on Huffpo, most of his commenters, and most of those who responded to the WaPo article seem to have lost their minds.
It's probably just me, I'm always missing the sub-text.

Posted by: Boko999 | November 29, 2007 9:09 PM | Report abuse

I checked the pix of Bobby Orr to compare. the cameo picture seems based on a Calder memorial trophy (rookie of the year), but bobby Orr never had hair like that, and in adjusting the stance he's made some errors and elongated the cheek, placed the ear too high, and the eyebrows are a bit off as well.
In adding a black gap under the teeth, it throws the look of the mouth off as well. Very few people smile with the mouth slack AND show top teeth only.

Also, in the original card he was crouched over and looking to the left. Thus the facial expression fits that anticipation. Looking straight ahead, it just makes him look like a dork, and also more like he's tucking his chin in, especially with that spare fold of skin replacing the sharp shadow in the rookie playing card.

It's not easy working from photographs and altering details without taking in account every detail of the face.

The second one (of him nude) seems a little more accurate facially, but still off, especially in that hair color and style.

He does do good portraits, but he'd be better off not attempting to change postures and expressions when working from photographs, or he should work with more live models to refresh his technique.

The first photograph I painted a portrait from, I took care to be sure the detail was accurate, but I mispainted the mouth. As a result, it lacks the sparkle of the original, with a little more solemnity than I intended, but it is a nice portrait anyway.

Posted by: Wilbrod | November 29, 2007 9:11 PM | Report abuse

Bad Sneakers may not believe it, but how can you not be suspicious after reading the article? Would that Rush had as much subtlety! A Goebbels Award candidate!

Bridge sales. Must concentrate on bridge sales...

Posted by: MedallionOfFerret | November 29, 2007 9:18 PM | Report abuse

I tried a big comment about Huckabee earlier today but it came out all overly earnest and I deleted it. Bottom line, I disagree with him on most issues, but I like the covenant marriage idea he supported as Governor.

At least he is less hypocritical than people who rant about gay marriage but act like divorce is no big deal. (Jesus specifically condemns divorce but most ministers won't mention that because more than half of the people in their congregations have been divorced and they don't want to upset anybody.)

Here's a Huckabee quote about marriage:

"One of the reasons so many marriages fail is that couples have accepted the myth that the purpose of marriage is to be happy. If the expectations for a marriage arise from a sentimental love story filled with constant excitement, adventure, and romance, the couple is headed for disappointment.

"By saying the purpose of marriage is not to be happy, I'm not suggesting the primary goal of marriage is misery. The purpose of marriage is to establish a relationship in which we learn to love another person in the sacrificial and unselfish manner that God loves us."

= = = = = =

= = = = = = =

On my way home this evening I thought about Joel's excursion over to The Trail and his whining about how nobody followed him over there, and I compared it to when Dylan went electric. Some people followed and some didn't. Some people who didn't like the new sound bought the next album anyway because they thought Dylan was a genius and that he knew better than they did themselves what they should listen to. Well, I'm not sure how far this analogy can go, but I know there are a bunch of us who will read whatever Achenbach writes.

So, write on, Joel! I don't skip the television reviews, or the sports reports, and I click on most of the hyperlinks, even at the risk of being sucked into a comprehensive History of Telephony that ends up taking an hour out of my day (Right now, I'm dreaming of quitting my job and going to graduate school to be a history major, specializing in the History of Technology. What a great subject.)

Posted by: kbertocci | November 29, 2007 9:21 PM | Report abuse

Let's not forget that Obama rhymes with Osama and Obama's middle name is Hussein which of course means that he is not only a Muslim plant but probably related to bin Laden. Hey, how old is bin Laden, old enough to be Obama's father? Jeez, doesn't anyone care about anything serious and real anymore. The Constitution has been gutted, people in New Orleans are still living in toxic trailers, Iraq is a neverending mess with thousands dead, foreclosures are rising because predatory lenders took advantage of some people and other people were greedy and thought the real estate bubble would never burst, the whole world hates us, and on and on and on. How many stupid people are there in this country anyway? Never mind, I don't want to know. If we didn't harbor so much aninmosity against Hispanics, we could just elect someone whose first name is Jesus, that would make the nutcases happy, unless his middle name was Adolph, see why I'm sick of it all already!

Posted by: Bad Sneakers | November 29, 2007 9:42 PM | Report abuse

Dallas is leading over GB 27-10--and there's still more than 5 minutes before the half.

Ain't looking good for HM. And Lord Brett is 5/14, 56 yards. Grant's got 82 yards rushing, but that won't be enough even if he goes to 160 yards.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 29, 2007 9:44 PM | Report abuse

Ooops. Favre isn't even in the game--don't know what happened. But his replacement, Ridgers, just threw a 43-yard pass.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 29, 2007 9:49 PM | Report abuse

Rodgers led a 75-yard drive for a TD. 27-17 with 30 seconds in the half.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 29, 2007 9:53 PM | Report abuse

I just got an invite to an exclusive PostPoints event that I can go to as a Platinum Member

You're invited to
MEET THE POST!

Share a special evening with your favorite Washington Post columnists, reporters and editors.

Thursday, December 6, 5:30 - 7:30 p.m.

The Washington Post, 1150 15th St, NW, Washington DC

Admission is FREE for Platinum and Gold PostPoints Members!

Come and meet the people behind the bylines and big stories at this informal evening reception with Washington Post staffers. Light refreshments will be served.

As an extra treat, select area retailers will also be on hand displaying great gift ideas for the holidays. There might even be some goodie bag items for you!

For more event details, log in to your PostPoints account at washingtonpost.com/postpoints and click on Events & Contests
or call 888.897.7876.

Tom Toles
Sydney Trent
Bob Woodward
Robin Wright
Jonathan Yardley
Joe Yonan

Oh, yeah, and some guy named Joel Achenbach.

Unfortunately, I will be out of town. I'm bummed I can't meet Amy and Dana, but the restraining order is pretty explicit and iron clad. Go get your PostPoints account and maybe they will let you in.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 29, 2007 9:54 PM | Report abuse

Was out this evening and it took a while to get caught up, so many good comments.

I came as close as I ever do to commenting on kit and we get a wrist slap from Joel - geeesh!

Tim, dr glad you mentioned Carter, he would be the type of leader I would hold as an example a man of deep personal faith but able to see beyond his own faith for the good of people of many faiths.

SoC I am still laughing at your mention of the 1840 Durham report - not something that pops up often in conversations well done. As to I will love you forever, no woman should read until months after giving birth - talk about opening the flood gates on the tears.

Coming home tonight in the car I first heard Bachs Air and then music from Schindlers List - both brought tears to my eyes.

Posted by: dmd | November 29, 2007 9:58 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to shake Walter Pincus by the hand. Not too vigorously, I promise.

Posted by: Boko999 | November 29, 2007 10:09 PM | Report abuse

dmd, you are my hero. Blessings on your head.

Posted by: Yoki | November 29, 2007 10:13 PM | Report abuse

I don't undrstad baseballs.

Posted by: Yoki | November 29, 2007 10:16 PM | Report abuse

Life is Beautiful. But there's not much sports in it. Some bicycling, but only at an amateur level. Hardly worth mentioning, you know.

Posted by: StorytellerTim | November 29, 2007 10:16 PM | Report abuse

The Airs and Dances. Hmm, hmm, hummmm...

Posted by: Yoki | November 29, 2007 10:18 PM | Report abuse

But do mention it, Boko999. All you want.

Posted by: Yoki | November 29, 2007 10:22 PM | Report abuse

Tim

Posted by: Yoki | November 29, 2007 10:23 PM | Report abuse

You made me snort, Yoki.

Say, who's this Ben Bradleee fellah, anyway? Some new intern they got?

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 29, 2007 10:27 PM | Report abuse

Geeze youse guys don't mention Lord Durham. You'll get protested.

"Lord Durham's portrait will be permanently removed from the NCC's Sparks St panel commemorating Ottawa's founding as the capital 150 yrs ago. Durham recommended Ottawa to Queen Victoria & called for self-goverance to replace colonial rule. But he also called for the French to be taught English to end cultural fighting & provide economic opportunity."- CFRA

"called for self-governance to replace colonial rule."

Wanker!!

Posted by: Boko999 | November 29, 2007 10:28 PM | Report abuse

TBG, loved the Frazier/Pearl picture! When the Knicks won in '69, Frazier was my favorite player.

How cool? He would have about 6 points going into the 4th quarter and score 15 in the 4th with three steals. Just keepin' it under the radar screen until it was needed.

It was great when the two later played together towards the end of their careers.

Posted by: bill everything | November 29, 2007 10:40 PM | Report abuse

SCC: ok, because the NBA season straddles the new year I should have said 69-70. I wouldn't want somebody lost, looking for espn.com to weigh in on Isiah Thomas to castigate me.

Posted by: bill everything | November 29, 2007 10:46 PM | Report abuse

Boko, Durhams portrait deserves to be removed because he recommended Ottawa(Bytown) :-).

His views may not be PC now but "cleansing history" drives me nuts.

Posted by: dmd | November 29, 2007 10:46 PM | Report abuse

I thought this was a joke but, given the extent to which the Canuckistanis have taken over tonight, I am not sure.

Posted by: bill everything | November 29, 2007 10:52 PM | Report abuse

Lord Durham was an excellent judge of canals. That's good enough for me.
I'm also a big fan of the Great Reform Bill of 1832.
Radical Jack forever!

Posted by: Boko999 | November 29, 2007 10:55 PM | Report abuse

Is this accurate?

Posted by: bill everything | November 29, 2007 10:58 PM | Report abuse

And how did Weingarten manage to ditch this soiree?

Posted by: yellojkt | November 29, 2007 11:04 PM | Report abuse

The cartoon is funny and having seen some Canucks at sales (which is how many are viewing cross border shopping at the moment), it is pretty accurate.

Looks pretty accurate bill, but it leaves out the fact the the "Rebellion" was not much more involved than the average hockey brawl - it even ended up in a bar! I do recall there were a lot of pamphlets printed though.

And people think Canadian history is boring.

Night all

Posted by: dmd | November 29, 2007 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Canadian history! You guys are so cute.

:-)

Posted by: TBG | November 29, 2007 11:12 PM | Report abuse

It looks good to me bill. A bit sparse.

Posted by: Boko999 | November 29, 2007 11:38 PM | Report abuse

Well, if that is the **REWARD** in Post Points, it sure doesn't look kindly upon those of us not in the Greater Washington DC Area.

Posted by: nellie | November 29, 2007 11:42 PM | Report abuse

Is Huckabee still a vast right wing conspirator now that he's lost all that weight?

Posted by: Boko999 | November 30, 2007 2:06 AM | Report abuse

If Little Richard married Richard Simmons he'd be Little Richard Simmo......

I got nuthin'.

The virulence of the response to Perry Bacon's article on the right wingnut attempt to portray Senator Obama as a secret Muslim plant has surprised me. I've read the article several times,more than enough of the comments and I can't see the beef.
I don't think any reasonable person could come away from that article thinking that the Senator is a Muslim and if they don't that there's no smear. There's a description of a stupid racsist smear.
Anyway I posted this reply on the WaPo site and on Bob Cesca's blog on HuffPo.

'Boko999 wrote:
The article makes it very clear from the second paragraph that Senator Obama is a Christian. The point is made several more times in the Senator's words and in the words of others. Not only is it noted that the title of his second book, "The Audacity of Hope: Thoughts on Reclaiming the American Dream," comes from a sermon by the Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr., pastor of Trinity United Church of Christ we're informed that he has been vetted by five pastors.
Yet "in spite of all his denials" someone is spreading the rumor that he is a Muslin.
What kind of idiot would think he had anything to gain by saying something so patently false?
The artlcle states what they're doing.
It explains why they're doing it and it even identifies some of the idiots.
The whole shebang is wrapped up rather nicely:
Obama's advisers say they are not worried that the candidate will hurt his campaign by invoking his connections to the Islamic world. "He understands that there are scurrilous attack e-mails going on underground that distort his religious affiliation and worse, but his judgment is that he trusts the American people more than that," said David Axelrod, a top Obama strategist. "He genuinely believes. . . . that people want to have a president that the world looks at and says, 'I believe this guy has an understanding of us and how we fit together on the planet.' "

If you think that's a hatchet job you don't get out enough.'
___________________________________

And I love a good hatchet job. One of my favourites, HL Mencken could swing one with the best of them. Thomas Jefferson was a patron to several practioners of the art. Modest too. He didn't make the payments known.
Nowadays I believe it's referred to as having congress with rats.

Posted by: Boko999 | November 30, 2007 5:15 AM | Report abuse

'Morning, Boodle.

Poor GB went down to defeat last night, but fought valiantly and with that well-known stiff upper lip and proper British Phlegm we've come to expect from those stalwart Stiltonheads. The backup QB (Queen's Bencher) who came in after Lord Favre was injured) did what I thought was a remarkably good job. Unfortunately, due to excessive greed on the part of the NFL, I was unable to watch a single moment of it, since it wasn't broadcast, and was made available only to satellite viewers.

Pretty good E.J. Dionne piece on what maroonish "know-nothings" Romney and Giuliani are, at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/29/AR2007112901939.html?hpid=opinionsbox1

Wonder what Joel's Two Cents will be about today.

Well, onward and upward.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 30, 2007 5:45 AM | Report abuse

Wow, Robinson really expands eloquently on his refusal to interpret the death of Sean Taylor in the manner of Wilbon.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 30, 2007 7:51 AM | Report abuse

Good morning, all.

A busy day yesterday, and today promises to be as well.

As Mudge points out, GB's always been classy in defeat. I hope Lord Brett is not hurt seriously enough to snap that consecutive start streak...

bc

Posted by: bc | November 30, 2007 8:03 AM | Report abuse

Hey speaking of baking bread (we were weren't we?) this article is making me seriously hungry.

Remember those bread-machines that were so popular a few years ago? You know, the ones that looked like R2D2? I never could get the bread to come out quite right in mine, but I ate the stuff anyway. If it weren't for that whole "scurvy" business, I could live off of warm bread. Although the "jug of wine and thou" bits are nice too.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 30, 2007 8:05 AM | Report abuse

Barack Obama's a Mormon? Or was that a maroon? Either way, we can't let one of those run for President.

I'm easily confused lately.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 30, 2007 8:17 AM | Report abuse

Sometimes I think that the greatest prejudice in America is against folks with them-there funny sounding foreign names, what with the vowels at the end, and all.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 30, 2007 8:29 AM | Report abuse

RD,

Posted by: yellojkt | November 30, 2007 8:34 AM | Report abuse

Morning Boodle. Good morning Cassandra.

I still have and use a bread machine! But I never bake the bread it it. I often start with a sponge, a poolish, or a little levain, then let the machine do the kneading and proofing (though my new oven has a proofing setting that is even better). And then I form the loaf, let it rise the second time, and bake it on a pizza stone under steam or use the NYT (gasp!) method to get a good crunchy crust.

Mmmmm, warm bread and butter, sometimes a bit of freshly-made raspberry jam.

Posted by: Yoki | November 30, 2007 8:36 AM | Report abuse

'morning all. GB lost to a real American team? No big surprise there, they should be used to it by now. I sure hope Lord Brett of the Green Bay will be healthy enough to complete his very good season.
Lord Durham was OK, pretty progressive for his time. Let's not forget it was the 1830's, being completely racist was the the norm. The NCC capitulated to professional outragists. One in particular I would call the Al Sharpton of francophone rights. I don't understand why people still listen to him, he is clearly out of his mind.

I once lived very near an excellent bakery. Together with generous helpings of beer, I gained something like 30 pounds in those 2 years. Fresh bread is my food but not my friend.

Posted by: shrieking denizen | November 30, 2007 8:51 AM | Report abuse

Curmudgeon, you should read Randy Galloway on last night's game. He feels that the depleted Cheesers were actually the more impressive team. He also thinks the zebras tilted toward the home team (don't they always?) a couple of times. I've always sort of expected Favre to by carried off the field in pieces to end his career, sort of like Fran Tarkenton and Joe "Rhymes with Motormouth" Theisman.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | November 30, 2007 8:56 AM | Report abuse

O'Bama would be better?

Posted by: shrieking denizen | November 30, 2007 8:58 AM | Report abuse

Ah, yes, Bark O'Bama, a fine son o' the auld sod.

Posted by: StorytellerTim | November 30, 2007 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Yoki - in my experience there are very few things in life that cannot be improved with freshly-made raspberry jam.

Posted by: RD Padouk | November 30, 2007 9:03 AM | Report abuse

Sautéed mushrooms.

Posted by: CulinaryTim | November 30, 2007 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Fresh raspberry jam and sauteed mushrooms. Have you ever tried it, Tim?

RD.. you remind me of the time years ago that I went to a garden party in Old Town Alexandria with two of my cousins. I knew the hostess through a friend.

When we arrived at the beautiful townhouse on the cobblestoned street, she came to greet us and said in her lilting Southern accent, "Oh ah remembuh you! Y'ore the one whose name inds in an 'S'!"

I was then able to introduce my two cousins with their S-ending Greek names as well.

Posted by: TBG | November 30, 2007 9:17 AM | Report abuse

Mmmmmmmm, mushrooms

Posted by: Don from I-270 | November 30, 2007 9:21 AM | Report abuse

I'm all for online social networking, but this relatively innocuous story is why our kids should listen to us when we try to tell them to be careful with Facebook et al...

Posted by: TBG | November 30, 2007 9:22 AM | Report abuse

yello, I never realized your real name was McDildo. I promise that as shop steward I'll do my best to make sure the rest of the boodle doesn't make fun of you for that. Pop Socket, in particular sometimes shows a strange intolerant streak; I'll see if somebody can put a sock in his socket.

A bread machine? We have one of those. Been sitting on the top shelf of the hall closet for the last five or ten years.

And that darn Yoki sent me scrambling to Google because she used two words I'd never heard before in my life. But of course I learned something from her, as I do nearly every day:

From wiki:

"A pouliche (French spelling) or poolish is a form of pre-fermentation which gives bread a richer taste.

"When a baker makes bread, there are several ways to begin. The most conventional is to mix yeast with warm water and sugar and when it is dissolved to add it to the flour and other ingredients in the bread recipe. There are several forms of prefermentation which, by allowing the yeast to develop before being added to the other ingredients, create a richer and more complex taste in the bread when it is baked.

"One form is a levain, a mixture of more flour than water. A levain needs to be 'fed' -- at four hour (or sometimes more) intervals additional flour and water are added. A levain is the basis for sourdough bread, in that the long aging (as the levain is fed) allows the yeast to develop a complex and fairly sour flavor. In traditional sourdough, this flavor is further developed by using the remainders of previous levain.

"A biga is an Italian term for a stiff mixture of water, flour and yeast used as a prefermentation or starter.

"A poolish is more liquid, composed of roughly equal amounts of flour and water (by weight), with yeast added. It ferments in 4 to 8 hours, and adds a nutty taste to the bread and also helps it to keep fresh after it is baked and stored.

"Poolish or pouliche was a term created by the French in the 1700s-1800s after the way the Polish made their bread with a "starter."
----------------------

I often get the feeling that if I lived at Yoki's house I'd weigh about 900 pounds by now. *sigh* And if she ever decides to ditch that Himself guy, I am soooooooooo getting on a plane...

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 30, 2007 9:36 AM | Report abuse

*blushing prettily*

Posted by: Yoki | November 30, 2007 9:43 AM | Report abuse

"And if she ever decides to ditch that Himself guy, I am soooooooooo getting on a plane..."

Ah, but has she seen you in your Frank N Furter bustiere and fishnet stockings?

Posted by: kurosawaguy | November 30, 2007 9:51 AM | Report abuse

I frequently google the combination of "yellojkt" and my real name so that I can make sure no future employer can ever find my secret a-hole identity. No that you have unmasked me mudge, anybody doing searches for "yellojkt mcdildo" (certainly hitherto a GoogleNope) will find this page. One of my proudest moments.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 30, 2007 9:52 AM | Report abuse

I am proud to report that "yellojkt mcdildo" is, indeed, a googlenope.

The whole googlenope phenomenon mostly fails to interest me, because of its dependence on precise spelling. I find most interesting the nopes formed by ludicrous combinations of ideas. In a text-based society in which few people can spell well (or proofread well), the creation of a googlenope by trivial spelling errors is not very interesting to me. After all, what if the correct spelling were "McDildeaux"? Then McDildo would, of course, come up as a nope.

By the way, I checked -- "McDildeaux" is/was a nope. Thank goodness, praise be to Ralph (god the sea).

Posted by: ScienceTim | November 30, 2007 10:07 AM | Report abuse

But "dildeaux" without the "mc" leads to a page of sites I don't want in my browser history.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 30, 2007 10:15 AM | Report abuse

The McDildeauxes are a long forgotten Acadian branch of the family we prefer to forget. And I am sure vice-versa.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 30, 2007 10:17 AM | Report abuse

K-guy, the thing about a woman like Yoki is, she'd accept me just the way I am, bustiere, fishnets, and all. This is a woman who can see beyond and beneath my glitzy, Redford-like high-fashion-but-shallow exterior to the inner, blu-bottomed, thong-wearing *real* me.

Hey, there's a really excellent piece of writing by a WaPo guy named David Montgomery, on the closing of Washington's last roadhouse, at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/11/29/AR2007112902228.html?hpid%3Dfeatures1%26hpv%3http://www.http://www.washingtonpost.com:80/ac2/wp-dyn?node=admin/registration/register&sub=new .

Posted by: Curmudgeon | November 30, 2007 10:18 AM | Report abuse

After years of snobbish disdain for automated bread-baking, I finally admitted that I was not actually baking any bread in the time-honored tradition of hand-processing the dough. That very year, my mother gifted me with a bread machine. After a month in the closet, I brought it out.

"How does it work?" asked my lovely wife (mi esposa linda).

"Straightforward, ma cherie" (you can call me Gomez), "I simply load the metal box thingie-doober with flour, water, yeast, salt, a little butter, then dance thrice about it widdershins while chanting a mystic chant, press the button that calls upon the powers of H3ll to bake my bread, and it takes care of itself."

I proceeded to dance -- once, twice, two-and-a-half times. Chanting "Raise, raise, raise. Bake, bake, bake!"

"Isn't widdershins *counter* clockwise?" asked my sweetly naîve wifey.

"Oh cr@p, you're right!" Unwind, unwind, unwind, dancing two-and-a-half times counterclockwise, chanting the mystic chant backwardsishly, "Kabe, kabe, kabe. Zair, zair, zair." Then three times in the correct direction, chanting the mystic chant, "Raise, raise, raise. Bake, bake, bake!"

The bread was pretty good.

Posted by: CulinaryTim | November 30, 2007 10:19 AM | Report abuse

I must bring your attention to an important event.

It is Kerric's birthday. He will either be sitting in a tool crib on a job site somewhere, or he will be snug and warm sleeping in.

He was my smallest baby, weighing in at 8 lbs, 2 ounces, but thanks to peanut butter cherrios and a professional ability to sleep, grew to be the tallest of my fellas with a big sunny smile and a great sense of the sillies.

Kerric, if you come to my house to help me put tree lights up, I will bake you some fresh bread, maybe even oatmeal bread. Or peanut butter muffins. And cookies. I might bake cookies.

Posted by: dr | November 30, 2007 10:35 AM | Report abuse

Thanks, Tim. I learned a new word today:

"Widdershins (sometimes withershins, widershins or widderschynnes) is a word which (usually) means counterclockwise, however in certain circumstances it can be used to refer to a direction which is against the light, i.e. where you are unable to see your shadow. It is cognate with the German language widersinnig, i.e., "against" + "sense". The term "widdershins" was especially common in Lowland Scots, and was known in Scottish Gaelic as tuathal, which uses the same root as tuath meaning "north", the opposite of widdershins is deiseil or sunwise. In the southern hemisphere, the sun goes anti-clockwise, but in the northern hemisphere, it goes clockwise, which is where the term "sunwise" originates from. Because the sun played a highly important role in primitive religion, to go against it was considered very bad luck."

You could have either reversed direction 2.5 times or taken the hole durn thing to Argentina.

Posted by: Raysmom | November 30, 2007 10:38 AM | Report abuse

Cookies, you say? I'll be right over.

(Yes, I am not Kerric, but I am a hard worker and willing to learn. Also, I have my own tools.)

Posted by: byoolin | November 30, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

The heck with Kerric dr, I help if I get those goodies.

Happy Birthday Kerric

Posted by: dmd | November 30, 2007 10:40 AM | Report abuse

Aaaawwww, dr! Happy birthday, Kerric.

Posted by: Raysmom | November 30, 2007 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Oh, yeah, Happy B-Day, Kerric. I'll try to save you a cookie.

Posted by: byoolin | November 30, 2007 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Happy Birthday to Kerric!

If you come to my house to help ME put up lights I'll heat you up some leftover cabbage-and-sausage soup.

[It makes me smile to think of dr writing about her boy like that. The birthday greetings go to you, too, dr, for your wonderful efforts that day!]

Posted by: TBG | November 30, 2007 10:43 AM | Report abuse

I thought "sunwise" was when Elmer Fudd went after that wascally wabbit.

Posted by: TBG | November 30, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

Read more Patrick O'Brian, Raysmom, you'll learn all about not only widdershins, but also blue boluses and the marthambles. Blue Bolus and the Marthambles WMGNFRB as Dave Barry would say.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | November 30, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

Happy b-day, kerric. It's good to know someone loves you enough to bake cookies.

Posted by: yellojkt | November 30, 2007 10:56 AM | Report abuse

I'll bet the Sudanese Tourism Board is loving this story-

Nice, pleasant folks.

Posted by: crc | November 30, 2007 11:08 AM | Report abuse

>My real name has a vowel at the end and a "mick" at the beginning, so I feel the pain.

The first thing that came to mind was the lovable character that is also the leader of the band that's made for you and me. This would also explain the band trips.

Kerric, on review of dr's offer I note several usages of ambiguous terminology. The only binding commitment apparent in the current phrasing of the offer appears to be for bread, so I cannot say with confidence, based on the current offer, that you have a reasonable expectation of cookies at the end of your labour.

Further, I understand birthday greetings are in order.

Posted by: SonofCarl | November 30, 2007 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Sudan: Come for Darfur. Stay for the religious fanaticism. You'll never [be able to] go home again!

Posted by: Tim | November 30, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

All this talk this morning about: bread, raspberry jam, cookies, birthday cakes, mushrooms, cabbage and sausage soup and whatever else has made me ravenously hungry. Notwithstanding the fact that I porked up four pounds over Thanksgiving, I'm going out to satiate this boodle induced voraciousness. I'll do penance on the treadmill this evening.

Posted by: Don from I-270 | November 30, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

New Kit!

More politics. Pick your fuzziest favorite Republican. Is Jack Kemp still around?

Posted by: yellojkt | November 30, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

When we lived in the country- Route 2, Box 13, Noble, Oklahoma- we used to go into the pastures and collect puffballs. Many times they would get to almost basketball size, but usually those biggies had been attacked by insects and were not nice enough to eat. Normally you had to catch them on the first day to beat the bugs and they were about softball to volleyball size. Pick 'em, take 'em home and wipe them clean, cut a hole and scoop out the insides, saute with bread crumbs and maybe a little organ meat-liver, brains, whatever-, green pepper and onion, refill the balls and bake for a few minutes in a moderate oven. MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! All true puffballs are edible, yummy, and free.

Posted by: kurosawaguy | November 30, 2007 11:56 AM | Report abuse