O'Malley Announces Baltimore County Support

The gubernatorial campaign of Baltimore Mayor Martin O'Malley yesterday rolled out the endorsements of more than 30 elected officials and other community leaders from Baltimore County in a bid to show early strength in a jurisdiction expected to be a key battleground in Maryland's general election.

Those endorsing O'Malley yesterday included four sitting state senators, 10 delegates and six county council members. (see list below)

In 2002, Gov. Robert L. Ehrlich Jr. (R) bested the Democratic nominee, then-Lt. Gov. Kathleen Kennedy Townsend, 61 percent to 38 percent in Baltimore County, which surrounds the city of Baltimore on three sides.

O'Malley boosters argued that yesterday's endorsements, announced at an event in Dundalk, show a far greater enthusiasm for O'Malley in the county than Townsend enjoyed.

O'Malley faces Montgomery County Executive Douglas M. Duncan in a September primary.

John Wagner

Senator Norman Stone (6th District)
Senator Kathy Klausmeier (8th District)
Senator Edward Kasemeyer (12th District)
Senator James Brochin (42nd District)
Delegate Joseph "Sonny" Minnick (6th District)
Delegate Michael Weir (6th District)
Delegate Eric Bromwell (8th District)
Delegate Shirley Nathan-Pulliam (10th District)
Delegate Dan Morhaim (11th District)
Delegate Bobby Zirkin (11th District)
Delegate Jon Cardin (11th District)
Delegate Steve DeBoy (12th District)
Delegate James Malone (12th District)
Councilman Johnny Olszweski
Councilman Vince Gardina
Councilman Ken Oliver
Councilman Kevin Kamenetz
Councilman Sam Moxley
Councilman Joseph Bartenfelder
Sheriff R. Jay Fisher
Grace Connolly Register of Wills
Suzanne Mensh Clerk of the Court
Theresa A. Lawler Orphan's Court Judge
Daniel Brewster (Former U.S. Senator)
Theodore Venetoulis (Former County Executive)
Michael Collins (Former State Senator)
Diana DeCarlo (Former State Delegate)
Barbara Bachur (Former State Delegate)
Nancy M. Hubers (Former State Delegate)
Connie DeJulius (Former State Delegate)
Mark C. Medairy (Former State Delegate)
Alex Wright (Former Judge)
Gerry Brewster (Former Candidate)

By Phyllis Jordan  |  April 3, 2006; 10:09 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Stacking the Straw Poll?
Next: The Mystery of the Locked Door

Comments

The other way you could look at this is we now have 33 more people who won't be Doug Duncan's elusive running mate.

Posted by: Fred | April 3, 2006 10:50 AM | Report abuse

This would be akin to Duncan receiving overwhelming support in Prince Georges County, but oh, he's not receiving that much support in Prince Georges and he also hasn't clinched Montgomery County yet if you look at recent polls in Montgomery County.

This Duncan campaign is like watching a train wreck -- Duncan is sitting in the caboose of the train while his goofy senior campaign staffers ride in the front of the train.

Posted by: Duncan4DogCatcher | April 3, 2006 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Congrats. to O'Malley.
No need to be nasty to Duncun when he's not being nasty. Even if he comes in second to O'Malley he would make a much better Governor than Ehrlich. I think that the Democrats should just enjoy having two good candidates that can beat the incumbant. Let's work together on that goal.

Posted by: pollyanna? | April 3, 2006 12:34 PM | Report abuse

While I'd rather have Duncan than Ehrlich, I'd rather not have Duncan. Duncan's supporters (with or without Duncan's knowledge) have played a little rough with O'Malley's bid: there was some incident at an O'Malley rally as well as a recent Duncan editorial in the post in which Duncan was a little disingenous about Baltimore's crime statistics.

By the way, I also have to disagree with Duncan4DogCatcher's pen name: I love my dog too much to let Duncan get his clutches on him.

Posted by: Tom Canick | April 3, 2006 1:00 PM | Report abuse

Duncan's staff is nasty because Duncan enourages his staff to play nasty.

Then there's also the fact that Duncan is known as a bully -- a 400 pound bully who has a red-hot temper.

Posted by: Duncan'sHotTemper | April 3, 2006 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I also agree that Duncan would be better than a second term of Ehrlich, but I am disgusted by Doug's negative campaign. He is only doing the GOP's bidding when he lashes out against Baltimore and O'Malley. The republicans are depending on a bloody Democratic primary to weaken the nominee and Doug is playing right to their script.

I also think it is hypocrisy for Doug to criticize O'Malley's stewardship of Baltimore while Doug alligns himself with Kurt Schmoke! As far as I am concerned, much of the last six years, O'Malley has been working to fix the mess that Schmoke's twelve year reign left us.

Finally, it is beyond me that Doug believes he has a genuine ally in William Donald Schaefer. He has to know that Schaefer is a Democrat In Name Only at this point and WDS will be working to get Ehrlich reelected all the while promising he is supporting Doug.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 3, 2006 1:26 PM | Report abuse

Opps! Sorry...that last post was posted by me and I submitted it accidently before typing my "handle".

Posted by: Baltimore voter | April 3, 2006 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Amen to that! Duncan's support of Don Schaefer was the nail in the coffin for me. There is no way I'm going to vote for him. He's so desperate for any endorsement that he's sold out. For shame.

Posted by: James | April 3, 2006 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I am somewhat concernern that candidates can list the endorsements given them without anyone scrutinizing such support,

Calls to Sam Moxley and Joe Bartenfelters offices in Baltimore County received "I didn't endorse O'Mally or anyone else" What's the truth here?!

Is Martin O'Mally playing it a little lose here. Same goes for Cardin, His list is suspect to say the least

Posted by: Gerry | April 5, 2006 4:55 PM | Report abuse

James, I don't think Duncan "supported" Schaefer other than accepting his endorsement. I think it's pretty significant that the last two mayors of Baltimore have endorsed Duncan instead of O'Malley.

Posted by: John | April 7, 2006 4:26 AM | Report abuse

In reference to a posting by Gerry on April 5, 2006, I didn NOT provide any quote stating " I didn't endorse O'Malley or anyone else". I did authorize my name to be used in the endorsement. I have endorsed Mayor O'Malley over County Executive Duncan. Please do not make up quotes from me.

Posted by: Councilman Sam Moxley | April 13, 2006 10:27 AM | Report abuse

If O'Malley should defeat Governor Ehrlich, I am confident that O'Malley will be another Parris Glendenning. In which case, look out for more taxation and spending. That's what Parris did and left his successor with a deficit, which I believe Ehrlich turned into a surplus.

Posted by: RM | August 25, 2006 1:46 PM | Report abuse