One Small Step for Man, One Giant Leap for Horses

By a vote of 263-146, and after a few hours of passionate debate, the House of Representatives this afternoon passed H.R. 503, the American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act, a bill that would ban the domestic slaughter of horses for human consumption. The measure now goes to the Senate, where it will meet its share of procedural, structural and temporal roadblocks. There will be plenty of time to discuss and debate those and to again rally the troops for a worthwhile cause. For now, it's time to praise people like Rep. John Sweeney (R-N.Y) and Rep. Ed Whitfield (R-KY) who knew the grim facts about horse slaughter and who bravely weathered hours of nonsense on the floor of the House by opponents of the legislation.

My favorite moment came when Rep. John Salazar (D-Colo.) argued that the measure would inappropriately force citizens to subsidize the saving of horses only to be told that one of the foreign-owned plants that inhumanely kill the animals already is subsidized- to the tune of paying only $5 in taxes last year. My second favorite moment came when Rep. Steny Hoyer (D-Md) criticized House Leaders for spending time on this legislation when there were so many more people-centric issues to be resolved. Hey, at least the House wasn't wasting everyone's time today debating the significance of the Pledge of Allegiance.

By Andrew Cohen |  September 7, 2006; 4:15 PM ET
Previous: Gitmo News: Left, Right, Left, Right | Next: How the White House Got Here

Comments

Thanks for the update--was thrilled to hear of today's vote.
Didnt know that someone criticized discussion of this subject though, interesting!

Posted by: allie | September 7, 2006 04:49 PM

I'm so glad that they voted yes. I'm vehemently against horse slaughter. It's cruel and inhumane. Thank you to all those who are fighting to stop it.

Posted by: Chelsea | September 7, 2006 09:52 PM

Killing horses is bad. Horses are pretty and we can ride them. But cows and pigs and chickens aren't pretty, and you can't ride them (well, maybe a cow, for a few seconds). Therefore they all deserve to DIE!!!

Posted by: David Curtin | September 8, 2006 02:51 PM

Amazing. i honestly didn't think the house of reps. gave a rats ass about animals. It feels good to hear that somehting good came from them. Horse slaughtering is absurd and obnoxious, especially in the United States, i mean these animals roam free some states and are known for their beauty. How a human can actually harm and kill one of these creaures is ludicrous. It seems like Life these days revolve so much around greed!

Posted by: lauren | September 9, 2006 02:22 AM

Can you say conservative nanny state?

Posted by: RichB | September 9, 2006 06:46 AM

Is there any actual reason why slaugthering horses is inhumane and unacceptable but slaughtering cows, pigs, chickens, deer, etc. is not an issue? It should certainly not be subsidized, but why banned?
It's just another case of a group imposing its morality on everyone else.

Posted by: RS | September 9, 2006 07:20 AM

I never had horsemeat till I was in Northeastern Brazil and ordered "bife do cavalo" piled with sauteed onions, and I must say it was quite tasty. Sure they are prettier than cows and chickens, but is that any reason not to eat them?

Posted by: Leonard Abrams | September 9, 2006 08:53 AM

They wouldn't have had to worry about this issue taking the house's time right now IF Rep. Bob Goodlatte (R-VA) and Rep. Joe Barton (R-TX) wouldn't have been blocking the issue for three years!!!

I must also say that the horses these foreign owned slaughter houses are killing are full of substances from dewormers, painkillers, etc, that are NOT intended for human consumption! Why are we sending tainted meat to our foreign friends. It's wrong so why do it???

This atrocity MUST end!!!

Pamela Bertsch
Frisco, TX

Posted by: Pamela Bertsch | September 9, 2006 11:41 AM

Congratulations to Congress for passing this historic legislation!

I watched the debate on cspan and was appauled by the agruments of the opponents of the ban. Talk of double speak. Slaughter is not humane euthansia, it is brutal, painful, cruel, terrifing slaughter. Horses are stuck on the head with pistol into their brains and suffer terribly.

My Congressman, Jim Kolbe, AZ, in his letters to the vast amount of constituents asking him to support the ban of horse slaughter in his district weakly defended it by referring to it as "processing". He made untruthful statements that the animal welfare groups were against the ban when nothing could be further from the truth and his constiuents know it.

But the supportors of the ban were eloquent and moving. I especially liked Congressman Gonzales, Texas, remarks that noted that our culture and our society does not eat horse flesh. The horse is an icon who has faithfully served and advanced our country. It's that simple.

I challenge any opponent of the ban on horse slaughter to substitute the word dog or cat in their agrument and see if they can sell that to the American people. We, as a society and a culture are more advanced then that. It is time to treat the horse with the respect and dignity it deserves.

I praise all the Congressmen and Congresswomen who voted for HR 503.

Posted by: Julianne | September 9, 2006 12:04 PM

The House is "wasting its time" on this matter because the American people want it done. It wouldn't have lingered if opponents hadn't thwarted every effort in the past. Sad that some Reps think doing the will of the people is a waste.

Posted by: JJP | September 9, 2006 12:12 PM

Dear RS:

So you think it would be fine for the Asians to come slaughter our dogs and cats? If we to allow the French and Belgians to keep slaughtering US horses on our soil, then we'd better get ready to roll out the red carpet for the Asians next!

I say we need to keep our standards high here in the US or we may be very sorry down the road! The majority of Americans find eating horses, dogs and cats atrocious!!!

I will say that I am against confinement of animals such as in veal production and many factory farming cages they put our wonderful animals in as well.

Posted by: Pamela Bertsch | September 9, 2006 12:16 PM

Leonard:

Yes, there is a reason you shouldn't eat horsemeat from the US. Ingesting the substances NOT intended for human consumption will cause bone marrow disease. They don't even sell US horsemeat in French restaurants anymore because of all of the people who have become sick. They only sell it in the butcher shops there now. Does that tell you anything?

Posted by: Pamela Bertsch | September 9, 2006 12:44 PM

Talk about imposing someone else's "morality" on others, what is the "morality" that justifies the cruel confinement, abusive treatment and slaughter of any living, feeling being? Animals are sentient creatures with intelligence, emotions, instincts and a life purpose of their own. They experience fear, suffering and pain; it is we who have reduced them to nameless numbers, in crates, cages and pee lines, for our amusment, our base instincts and our insatiable appetites. It really is time for a change in this paradigm! It is time to evolve!

Posted by: Zelda Penzel | September 9, 2006 01:28 PM

Anybody who supports this legislation but is not a vegetarian is a hypocrite.

Posted by: Ben Miner | September 9, 2006 02:33 PM

Here's a site and the lyrics to a song recently written for this issue. Even the great Willie Nelson sent Maria Daines of the UK an e-mail letting her know how much he loved the song and her voice! Check it out!

I WANNA RUN FREE

I am your friend, I am your warrior
I run your races, I walk your miles
I never give up, in stormy weather
Now I need you, to share my trials

My eyes are open, my heart is true
My words unspoken, are all for you
My hope is brave, our bond is strong
I stand for freedom, oh hear my song...

I'm yours in poverty, I'm yours in wealth
I stand for loyalty, I need your help
I'm part of history, this land so true
I give my life, my soul to you...

And I, I wanna run free
I wanna be loved in the hearts of the American people
Oh I, I wanna run free,
I wanna be loved in the hearts of the American people

I've carried soldiers, I've carried babes
I've run the gauntlet to the grave
I'm sound of heart and sure of pride
If you will stand right by my side

I'm yours in poverty, I'm yours in wealth
I stand for loyalty, I need your help
I'm part of history, this land so true
I give my life, my soul to you...

And I, I wanna run free
I wanna be loved in the hearts of the American people
Oh I, I wanna run free,
I wanna be loved in the hearts of the American people
And I, I wanna run free
I wanna be loved in the hearts of the American people
Oh I, I wanna run free,
I wanna be loved in the hearts of the American people

© Maria Daines/Paul Killington

Posted by: | September 9, 2006 04:09 PM

They say the history of the West was written from the saddle of a horse. Without horses settlement of the West would have been all but impossible since a man on horseback could cover a much greater distance than one on foot; without horses, wagons, stagecoaches and plows could not have been pulled. Today the horse still continues to be an important part of the American experience; we are thrilled by the prowess of a Thoroughbred achieving a Kentucky Derby win, we are awed by the wild freedom of a herd of mustangs thundering across the open range, and we are entertained by horses in film and literature.

To this day law enforcement still uses horses to help them with a broad range of duties from crowd control to search-and-rescue situations. Distinguished military funerals usually include the Caisson Platoon, whose central figure is a riderless black horse to symbolize a fallen leader. Children with mental and physical disabilities have been offered unique support by learning new skills on horseback. It could be said that the United States of America owes a great debt to the horse, he has always been there for us.

The United States Senate recognized this in 2004 by unanimously passing Senate Resolution 452, declaring December 13 as the National Day of the Horse. The purpose of this day is to encourage the people of the United States to be mindful of the contribution of horses to the economy, history, and character of the United States.

So then, why are we allowing foreign interests to butcher horses and ship their meat overseas?

There are three horse slaughterhouses operating in the United States, two in Texas and one in Illinois. All three are owned by French and Belgian stakeholders. These slaughterhouses export horsemeat to Europe and Asia, where it is served up as an expensive delicacy. A pound of horsemeat can fetch upwards of $20 in Belgium.

These businesses offer no benefit to the American economy since all profits are siphoned overseas. They claim to be a "good corporate citizen", yet the Dallas Crown horse slaughterhouse in Kaufman, Texas was found to be a nuisance. People living in a nearby neighborhood are tired of the stench, which can get so overpowering that they cannot go outside. Dallas Crown also routinely overwhelms the sewers, causing horse blood to back up into neighbors' bath tubs. A true "good corporate citizen" would never do this to its neighbors.

A majority of Americans (79%) do not approve of horse slaughter due to our cultural attachment to horses. Supporters of the ban include the National Thoroughbred Racing Association, the National Steeplechase Association Inc, the Palomino Horse Association Int., and the United States Eventing Association. Recently Gretchen Jackson the owner / breeder of Barbaro, winner of the 2006 Kentucky Derby, stepped forward in support.

Yet the killing goes on.

Currently there are two bills before our lawmakers which would ban this practice for good. The idea of ending horse slaughter enjoys strong bi-partisan support in both the Senate and the House of Representatives, the bills before both chambers have more than enough co-sponsors to pass should they be allowed out for a vote. Unfortunately, the horse slaughter interests have powerful allies in Congress who hold key positions. For the past three years these people have successfully held these bills in committee, not allowing them to the floor.

But a tenacious group of horse lovers will not allow Congress to stand idly by and let this happen. Every day they patiently continue their work, speaking to people and encouraging them to get involved, contacting the media, doing research and getting the word out. This group consists of people from many walks of life with one common goal; to not rest until they are safe.

This song was written to honor the work of compassionate individuals and groups campaigning tirelessly to end the slaughter of the American horse.

And the beat goes on....

Duane Burright
Malibu, CA

Posted by: Pamela Bertsch | September 9, 2006 04:12 PM

I spent the week in Washington as one of the volunteers passing out literature and talking to staffers and representatives who were trying to sort out the truth from all the misinformation presented by the horse slaughter industry and its lackies such as the AVMA and AQHA.

I was struck by two things that transend the issue. There are not only the incredible representatives like Ed Whitfield and John Sweeney who have championed this bill despite the political fall out, but there were also many representatives who wanted to know the truth about the issue before they made up their minds.

There were even three corrageous members of the agriculture committee who defied their heavyhanded chairman Bob Goodlatte and voted their conscience.

I sat with a friends including one who was a veteran of the Gulf war as I was of the Vietnam war. We had both worked for years to end horse slaughter and had watched the local state and federal efforts thwarted by the blood money of the slaughter industry. Our confidence in the American system, not great to begin with, had suffered badly as a result of these experiences.

We sat listening to the debate as Tom struggled to keep from coughing (his lungs were damaged in the war). As the vote rolled over the critical 218 required for passage, he looked over at me and said "I'm going to go buy myself an American Flag!" We were very proud of our government at that moment!

Posted by: John Holland | September 9, 2006 04:57 PM

I've eaten horse before. Unlike Leonard I was not impressed by its taste. Clearly Andrew has a deep love for horses and it pains him to know of the suffering that these animals go through on their way to French dinner tables. You know in some places they hold cattle in very high respect. That doesn't keep us from eating them. It is unadulterated jingoism to suggest that horses shouldn't be killed and eaten simply because we, as Americans, find the idea repulsive. If Zelda is right, then horses are a miniscule part of the human crimes against animals. The discomfort of horses doomed to slaughter that Andrew describes is not unique to equines and the number of other livestock killed to feed our carnivore appetites dwarfs the 94000+ horses. If causing animals pain is wrong, then let's ban all animal slaughter. If the meat-eating evolution of the human species vindicates our abuse of animals lower on the food chain, then what people choose to eat should be up to their discretion and no buisness of the government.
I'm sorry if I offend anyone who has emotional attachment towards horses. I'm sure that they all have unique personalities and can be as good a friend as any dog. When I was young, I had a pet chicken. My memory of her doesn't keep me from eating at KFC. My waistline, however...

Posted by: BFair | September 9, 2006 06:07 PM

I'm all for treating animals humanely but I'm not so hypocritical as to support the outright ban on slaughtering and eating horses. Or dogs or cats or cows or chickens for that matter (how many dogs and cats are put down every year in the US anyway?) - the laws we need are ones promoting humane treatment, not pandering to horse lovers.

If horse slaghterhouses break environmental or humane treatment laws, they should be fined proportionately or shut down in extreme cases or cases of repeated misconduct.

Posted by: Anonymous | September 9, 2006 06:07 PM

I would like to share this comment, sent to us by a friend, for me it sums up the role of the horse in our lives.

KNIGHTS AND HORSES

Equus.

The latin genus specification, in it's phonetic flow is in itself, beautiful. Horses. Our equine friends. Long in the annals of history has the term "man's best friend" been applied to our canine friends. Yet, from a historical standpoint, can anyone argue that the service of the horse has been less during humankind's relentless drive to evolve?

Knights stormed the fields of Europe and the Middle East, mounted on fearless, undaunted equine beasts carrying the weight of not only a man but hundreds of pounds of armour and weaponry. War horses carried on unfailingly through what would often prove to be impossible tasks, very often in the face of great adversity; little food, little water, and wounds sustained from battles that only humankind could be ignorant enough to wage. The horses......however......did not complain.

They have dragged our wagons........fought our wars.......plowed our fields........carried food.........carried life..........carried us over distances that we never would have had the strength to walk.......carried us near.......carried us far..........carried us through mud.......dragging loads through the mire of the fields of France and Belgium during the First World War.......they took North American settlers west to solve the final frontier........ the Royal Canadian Mounted Police roamed the entire western half of Canada, instilling law and order against great odds, carried all the while by steeds tougher than the shale their hooves perpetually rasped..........they've inspired romance..........they've carried hundreds of Royal families through streets both adoring and hostile........forded streams in the mountains and hills of the Yukon and Alaska during the Gold Rush.....stepped lightly through processions down promenades........stepped heavily through the ranks of barbarians, ridden by Roman warriors.........galloped freely through the Rocky Mountains for only a painter's eye to behold...........and all the while.........they didn't complain. I suppose I could go on. But I don't need to.

Picture those same majestic creatures I just mentioned..........being pulled up by their hooves, juglar slit to allow for quick bleeding , and someone dismembering them while they are still alive.....and why? Because their "usefullness" has been deemed as at an end.

Does an animal, one with such loyal characteristics..... which carried us through our times of greatest adversity deserve to be treated as our greatest enemy? And treated as so much garbage?
Horses walked about a trillion miles for us.

William Troniak
2006

Posted by: Maria Daines | September 9, 2006 08:06 PM

I've been commenting on this debate as a disinterested observer, but I opened the local Sunday paper today to see this commentary by local Illinois state represetative Jim Sacia: http://journalstandard.com/articles/2006/09/10/opinion/opinion97.txt

Here's one paragraph from the above link: "Why am I writing about this issue now when so many significant issues are out there? Simply because our U.S. Congress will act this week on HR 503 strongly endorsed by animal rights groups that would prevent the transportation of horses for slaughter.

"Here's the rub, there are only three horse-slaughtering plants in the nation - two in Texas and our own Cavel International. Three times I have visited Cavel and watched the process. Three times I have left very satisfied that the horses are humanely terminated. No one is forced to send their horse to slaughter, it is simply an alternative."

Okay, two paragraphs.

Posted by: Dave, Freeport, IL | September 10, 2006 07:52 AM

How could anyone say the Horses at the Horse Killing Plants are humane.

Do you think hitting a Horse repeatedly over the head with a blunt instruement is humane?

Do you think slipping a chain on the Horse's back leg and then hoisting the Animal up to the ceiling is "fun?

Do you think cutting a Horse's throat is humane?

You and I are from different planets; fool.

Posted by: Anne | September 10, 2006 10:35 AM

Anne, you really should address your comments to Rep. Sacia.

Posted by: Dave | September 10, 2006 11:20 AM

I am glad to see any steps taken towards ending the slaughter of horses, which as already been pointed out are intelligent animals with all the senses and feelings we possess. The way they are killed is very often anything but humane, rather it is barbaric and very cruel!

For the benefit of the other people who have posted here saying well what about other animals that are killed for meat, I am a vegetarian!

Posted by: Steve Andrews | September 10, 2006 12:51 PM

Any one who thinks that horse slaughter is humane please see my video's of auctions,transport and slaughter of horses on you tube at
And you will see that horse slaughter is not humane in any way ,shape or form!I live in Illinois where one of these Foreign Company's opperates ( Cavel International Belgium owned and operated) and i am disgusted that we allow it here.Funny how many of our State Representitives and Senators are against it not to mention all the people who live here yet it is allowed to continue.I am glad that HR503 has passed and i am sure it will pass in the Senate.I am just worried about the Bush administration and our "Cowboy" President who is "Pro Slaughter" as he has nothing to loose if he Veto's these bills HR 503 and SR 1915.We the people have spoken and we must send these Foreign owned Company's back to where they came from and keep our horses safe from this horrible fate of slaughter.They are a part of what has made America and a part of who we are today.It's a terrible way to show our appreciation to them by sending them through this hell.
Sincerely,
Beth Sawyers in Illinois

Posted by: Beth in Illinois | September 10, 2006 03:06 PM

I have read here some of the most well all I can say is the most unrealistic and uneducated reasons as to why it is ok to kill horses, I think the most ridiculous is ' HORSES ARE PRETTY so they should live - COWS AND CHICKENS are not so they should die ! What planet are you people living on ! And it is not an argument what deserves to live and what deserves to die - as all animals have a right to life but if you want to get down to the point of it all - horses, dogs and cats are bred as companion or work animals, cows, goats, chickens and pigs sadly are bred for the plate. Still those animals have a right to be raised in proper conditions and not to be transported thousands of miles to what more often than not is a cruel death. As for the slaughtering of the horse - the faithful friend, companion and worker ... these dear animals do and not by choice, bring people who use them lots of money, they give them an EGO, people want these animals for all the wrong reasons ( and I am not speaking individually ) - You only have to visit the race tracks to see that ! And when their horses are no longer up to the job, which sadly too often is at a very young age for a horse, they end up at slaughter....replaced like a bail of hay !

From Africa - to America, I have had the, can't say pleasure, but will say experience of working, touring * inspecting * and photographing slaughterhouses, and after seeing the footage from the slaughterhouse where these horses are what do they call it ? OH YES - PROCESSED ! I could not believe what I was seeing - this contraption they call a stun gun wouldn't stun a fly ! They couldn't hit it if they tried ! What kind of an instrument of torture is that anyway - who developed it ? How can they expect to have impact when the thing is swaying all over the place in the air - and the horse has so much dare I say it freedom of movement !? It I was horrified by it and ladies and gentlemen - I am not easily shocked by what I see as I have seen too much in my days of animal work in the field ! The fear in the horses - oh my don't they just understand what is going on ! Horses I dare say are smarter than many of the people who have commented here on this forum - they have a strong sense of understanding each and every emotion around them, as well as the sounds, and smells. One only has to look into their faces, their eyes and see their body language to understand that !

Oh yes and I am a vegetarian - and I most certainly would not feed any of our animals horse meat as it is not a natural food for them, neither is cow, or pork ! These horror houses I have seen in these films - and which I have heard eye witness testimonials about must be shut down and people who have horses - must be more responsible.

For a start wouldn't it be grand if the racing industry had a retirement farm for all the horses that they didn't want any more - they have enough money for sure to operate one ! And please don't think that all the horses in that business, or any other business that they are used in, are retired happily onto farms !

Posted by: Mary Alice, CVFA.UK | September 10, 2006 03:34 PM

"I think the most ridiculous is ' HORSES ARE PRETTY so they should live - COWS AND CHICKENS are not so they should die ! What planet are you people living on ! And it is not an argument what deserves to live and what deserves to die..."

This is no different to the people behind the eugenics program, which decides what people are superior based on what they look like and who should die based on the same racist rubbish! This is no different to the Nazi blonde haired, blue-eyed Aryan superior race madness!

This is no different to all the white people who at various times have decided that black people are not pretty and deserve to be slaves or die! This is no different to the racism in the Book of Mormon:

1 Nephi 11:13 And I beheld the city of Nazareth; and in the city of Nazareth I beheld a virgin, and she was exceedingly fair and white.

1 Nephi 12:23 And it came to pass that I beheld, after they had dwindled in unbelief they became a dark, and loathsome, and a filthy people, full of idleness and all manner of abominations.

2 Nephi 5:21 For behold, they had hardened their hearts against him, that they had become like unto a flint; wherefore, as they were white, and exceedingly fair and delightsome, that they might not be enticing unto my people the Lord God did cause a skin of blackness to come upon them.

Alma 3:6 And the skins of the Lamanites were dark, according to the mark which was set upon their fathers, which was a curse upon them because of their transgression and their rebellion against their brethren, who consisted of Nephi, Jacob, and Joseph, and Sam, who were just and holy men.

To judge any form of life on what it looks like is wrong and yet people do it all the time! They do it in a racist way with their fellow humans and they do it with animals and plants calling one pretty and another ugly!

It is said that beauty is in the eye of the beholder and surely God the creator looked and saw that all animals, plants and people were made as intended! So if you find your fellow humans or any species of animal or plant "ugly" you are not beholding the divine beauty with which they were made and can be seen I assure you!

Posted by: Steve Andrews | September 10, 2006 05:08 PM

Major kudos to Rep. John Sweeney and Rep. Ed Whitfield for protecting horses from slaughter!! Thank you!!! Horses are beautiful, graceful and amazing creatures and should be allowed to their lives to the fullest as should all animals. I am against horse slaughter as well as the inhumane slaughtering of ANY animal. Thank you Rep. Sweeney and Rep. Whitfield for taking this step to a kinder, more humane world!!

Posted by: Heather Singer | September 11, 2006 12:21 PM

This is a step in the right direction. I hope in the future all living creatures can be afforded the same luxury that these horses have been granted. Thank you Reps Sweeney and Whitfield, keep up the good work in protecting the earth's precious animals!

Go Vegan! :o)

Posted by: Kristy Maguire | September 11, 2006 01:26 PM

great to hear the good news!
a definate step in the right direction
peace and love to all animals and people who were involved in making this happen :D

Posted by: sophie | September 11, 2006 02:14 PM

I'M AGAINST HORSE SLAUGHTER!!!!! The way they kill the horses is brutal and inhumane! If you don't think so just watch some video footage on it and I'm sure you'll change your mind. Horse are a part of our American heritage. Some are ancestors to our warriors and native Americans as far back as time. I stand by the horses till the end. I AM THEIR VOICE!!

Posted by: Dusti Hutchings | September 11, 2006 03:40 PM

How can you say, "But cows and pigs and chickens aren't pretty, and you can't ride them (well, maybe a cow, for a few seconds). Therefore they all deserve to DIE!!!".

You're so mean.

You're not pretty. And no can ride you (well, maybe for a little while). Therefore you deserve to DIE!!!

Posted by: Mr. Ed's Love Child | September 13, 2006 03:56 AM

Lets face it, by just banning slaughter of horses does not comfort cows/chicken etc. but at least it does show that some humanity is left with human beings when it comes to killing any animal for consumption.

Posted by: Raj | September 13, 2006 09:52 AM

While I think this may be worthwhile legislation, notwithstanding the moral relativism it reflects, it is certainly not worth eating up 3 of 19 legislative days that were left before the midterm elections when other pending legislation that affects human beings will be either rushed or ignored as a consequence.

Posted by: Larry Chafin | September 13, 2006 10:59 AM

To the person who ate "Horse Meat" and said it was quite "tasty...

Does the fact the meat was
tasty mean that it is Moral to kill Horses?

Just because your taste buds crave the Broiled Blood of Dead Horses does not mean it good; maybe something is "wrong with you that you crave the Broiled Horse Blood.
You are not God so your opinion is "nil."

Posted by: Anne | September 13, 2006 12:26 PM

Second message to the person who wrote:

"I must admit it{the horsemeat} was quite tasty...blah blah blah.

I was thinking this over carefully and I kept thinking to myself; where have I heard that phrase before: "I ate it because it was tasty..."
Ummm...oh yeah Adam and Eve said that...AND BECAUSE OF IT SIN ENTERED THE WORLD.
Now do you see why "tasty can be "evil"???

Posted by: Anna | September 13, 2006 05:24 PM

Comment #3- The No. 1 reason why it is wrong to Kill Horses is because it is a form of Betrayel whereas the Man makes the Horse think the man is the Horse's friend.
So the Horse serves the man his whole life; carrying the man on his back; plowing fields; carriage horses. The Horse sees you as a friend and does no harm.
So it is NEVER correct to punish the Servant with Death. Whether that be a man; a horse a dog or a cat.
IT IS A FORM OF TRAITORISM TO PUNISH THE SERVANT.
Other Animals are raised for Food; the Horse is not. The Horse is raised as a companion animal; such as a dog or cat is.
That is the difference between the Horse and the other Livestock.
The other Livestock are raised as such.
The Horse is raised as a Pet; so do NOT turn on your faithful servant EVER.
Finally; it is wrong to kill any Animal except in the case of famine. IMO Anna USA.
ps I have not eaten any Meat; Fish or Fowl in 35 years and I have never been sick. A.
ps If you want to get Animal Protein then eat eggs and Milk/cheese. SAVE the Animals
before it is too late for them to be saved.
Factory Farming causes Bird Flu and MadCow.
We must Get Back to The Gardening a.s.a.p.
Other wise we will be eating Bats Rats and Mice like they do in Asia(and turtles).
Becoming a Vegetarian is the greatest thing

Posted by: Anna | September 13, 2006 05:33 PM

No living creature should be slaughtered for food! There are plenty of protein rich foods that humans can eat without imposing suffering to another living being. Anyone with compassion, and intelligence knows this.

Posted by: Kim | September 13, 2006 08:01 PM