The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 02/23/2008

AccuWeather's Jim Kosek: Weather Idol?

By Jason Samenow

Sometimes going over the top gets you noticed. When surfing YouTube yesterday, I stumbled upon a video forecast for the D.C. area by Accuweather meteorologist Jim Kosek which shocked me when I hit the play button...

My reaction???

At first it was: "What was THAT?" Then I wasn't sure what to think. I started to hear the judges of American Idol in my mind....

Randy: That was da bomb, dawg!!!

Paula: I really liked how you made that forecast your own. Good job.

Simon: To be honest, that was utterly painful. I felt like I was watching some horrible clown performance.

After considerable deliberation, I give Jim two thumbs up, if for nothing more than the entertainment value of the video. What the forecast lacked in substance and detail, it made up for in personality and frankly -- accuracy. He basically got the Thursday night and Friday storm right.

So what did you think? Did you like Jim's style? Or should Wild Jim's first appearance on the Capital Weather Gang, be his last?

By Jason Samenow  | February 23, 2008; 11:00 AM ET
Categories:  Media
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Cold and Clammy Before Clearing
Next: Forecast: Temperatures and Sunshine Increase

Comments

Is that guy drunk?

Posted by: Snowlover | February 23, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Hahaha, I've seen this guy many times. He's always like that. He frequently screams as well.

Posted by: Peter [Bethesda] | February 23, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Fantastic! I'd love to see CWG members record forecast videos, especially for winter storms. I'll bet that Camden's would be much like Kosek's! ;-)

Posted by: ~sg | February 23, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

That might have been the most annoying video I've ever seen. Come on, this is the weather...

Posted by: Kalorama Park | February 23, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

dcist highlights jim pretty frequently. he is kick-ass. you guys have found a gem!

Posted by: IMGoph | February 23, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I am speachless. no, wait, words like disgusted now come to me...

Posted by: Camden, Capital Weather Gang | February 23, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I love watching the forecasts from AccuWeather. Especially the bloopers section (which they are not afraid to advertise). They were a little too "fun" to put on the weather channel, LOL

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | February 23, 2008 1:22 PM | Report abuse

It looks like Jim hit happy hour a bit early. I give him two thumbs up too, provided he can keep his forecast segments short. Can you imagine him on The Weather Channel doing that non-stop?

Posted by: Kevin, Capital Weather Gang | February 23, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

Kevin, if he were on the weather channel he would be like Dave Schwartz, version 2.0

LOL!

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | February 23, 2008 5:05 PM | Report abuse

That made my ears, eyes & teeth hurt.

Posted by: VaTechBob. | February 23, 2008 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Accuweather are the "Supert Troopers" of weather forecasting

Posted by: Mot | February 23, 2008 6:46 PM | Report abuse

"Which brings me to my second point, kids. Don't do crack."

Posted by: Nick | February 23, 2008 7:43 PM | Report abuse

come on guys -weather gang. I started going to your web site because you didn't hype or exaggerate, if I want to have to jump up to turn down speakers I can look at all the spam that comes around - this is where this goes

Posted by: caroline | February 23, 2008 7:51 PM | Report abuse

Caroline-- Just mixin' it up on a slow Saturday. Of course, we'll continue with our hype-free, detailed weather commentary :)

Posted by: Jason, Capital Weather Gang | February 23, 2008 9:39 PM | Report abuse

Haha that is certainly an interesting way of presenting a weather forecast...

Posted by: arnoldkh | February 23, 2008 9:41 PM | Report abuse

I think Paula's comment would have been something more like:

"Yellow is so pretty. Oooh, butterfly... you remind me of a butterfly... I like you..."

Posted by: Astra | February 23, 2008 9:47 PM | Report abuse

OMG, he scared my dog! After I turned down the volume, I'd say he fell somewhere between a little scary and funny.

Posted by: Kel | February 23, 2008 10:00 PM | Report abuse

Astra: That's more like what she'd say ;)

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | February 23, 2008 11:04 PM | Report abuse

Dude.