The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 10:45 PM ET, 03/19/2008

Update: Late-Night Showers, Maybe Storms

By Dan Stillman

*Severe Thunderstorm Watch in effect until 4 a.m. Thursday*
*Wind Advisory in Effect Until 6 p.m. Thursday*

After an evening lull in shower activity, a new line of showers is approaching the metro area from the west. Thunderstorms may form within this line of showers and other lines that may develop as the activity moves through from west to east over the next several hours. Any thunderstorms that do form could produce damaging winds, and an isolated tornado is not out of the question. Precipitation should come to an end by about 3 a.m. as a cold front comes through, followed by gusty winds late tonight and tomorrow.

Severe Weather Tracking Station
Warning Text: DC | MD | VA
Latest D.C. area radar loop and recent lightning strikes (key). Courtesy Weather Underground. Click here to zoom. Refresh page to update.
LWX Warnings
Active severe warnings issued by the National Weather Service. Refresh page to update.

Track tonight's showers and thunderstorms with Capital Weather Gang's new Severe Weather Tracking Station above, which includes an up-to-the-minute map of severe warnings issued by the National Weather Service.

See Dan's post for the full forecast through the weekend.

By Dan Stillman  | March 19, 2008; 10:45 PM ET
Categories:  Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: CommuteCast: Slow and Soggy, Then Stormy
Next: Forecast: Stormy Replaced by Sunny and Gusty

Comments

Big Thuderstorms heading for my home in Spotsylvania. Can you guys fill me in on intensity of these storms. Just 30 due west in Orange, there is a Warning.

I live around lots of trees. Hopefully no threats of Tornadoes.

Posted by: chris | March 19, 2008 11:42 PM | Report abuse

What part of Spotsy? I'm next to Chancellorsville Battlefeild.

Posted by: VaTechBob. | March 19, 2008 11:48 PM | Report abuse

River Road down near Motts Run..Clore Brothers.

That line on the radar looks pretty intense

Posted by: Chris | March 20, 2008 12:00 AM | Report abuse

Your not far from me VATech...only 5 miles or so

Posted by: chris | March 20, 2008 12:03 AM | Report abuse

When a red line went through Harpers Ferry, it was 45 min of heavy rain, no lightning, and wind gusts no higher than they've been all evening--up to 30 mph or so. Your red line looks a bit bigger than ours was. Hope someone else is still awake, closer to you.

Posted by: tinkerbelle | March 20, 2008 12:09 AM | Report abuse

I think will be ok...what worries me is the Thunderstorm Warning just due east of us.30 miles or so Maybe the storms weakened some. I wouldnt care but since our home is around some tall oaks and some dead trees, it kinda is on my mind

Posted by: chris | March 20, 2008 12:14 AM | Report abuse

warnings just issued for Spotsylvania...damn

Posted by: chris | March 20, 2008 12:24 AM | Report abuse

Weather radio has gone off 4 times in 30 minutes.

Severe Thunderstorm Warning for PWC.

The "red and orange" just went over Lake Ridge. What was it? RAIN. No thunder, no wind, no hail, no twisters, nothing even worth putting on the 5AM news.

Why haven't the last few rounds of "storms" had any lightning in them????

I AM SICK AND TIRED OF THESE "THUNDERSTORMS" LOOKING ALL PROMISING AND THEN NADA. NOTHING. ZIPPO. ZILCH.

ARRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!

Okay, I've vented, thank you.

At least we still have the rest of...well, for a long time for a good storm to roll through, right? :)

Posted by: weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge) | March 20, 2008 12:36 AM | Report abuse

I'm off off 618 about 1 mile from Rt3. Heavy rain & winds picking up, lost satellite signal. Dog is very nervous, he really dislikes t'storms. Guessing everything moves thru by 1 am.

Posted by: VaTechBob. | March 20, 2008 12:38 AM | Report abuse

weatherdudeVA (Lake Ridge): You have been observing exactly what I've been seeing all this winter/spring thus far. Lots of impresive looking radar echoes, little or no lightning or thunder. My guess: Some of this radar "color" is due to sleet/hail up in the clouds, most of which melts to rain before hitting the ground. Why no lightning, especially with the highest altitude echoes is a bit of a mystery. Of course not having the lightning around is fine with me, especially on dance night (when a lot of this precipitation seems to be hitting us). The big issue this month seems to be involving these incessant power-line threatening winds. I've had a couple of "flicker" episodes here in Arlington where power cutoffs are rare except in the big severe thunderstorms. Wish these windy spells would start calming down. Most of them, thus far, have not been with severe storms.

Posted by: El Bombo | March 20, 2008 10:42 AM | Report abuse