The new Washington
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:00 AM ET, 04/ 8/2008

Weekly Top Five: Fools and Forecasts

By Jason Samenow

Every day, Dan Steinberg of the DC Sports Bog, reads and ranks other sports blogs "so you don't have to." I'm going to provide the same service here for weather, but weekly rather than daily. (For better or for worse, weather doesn't attract the kind of coverage sports does.)

I'm also not going to limit the "Top Five" to blogs, but will also include blog comments, newspaper columns, news stories, press releases and videos, or any weather-related media. The rankings will typically run Tuesday or Saturday and will be based on both significance and entertainment value. If you think I've ranked them wrong, let me know and provide links to anything I missed. Here's the first edition, in reverse order...

5) Bombshell Research: Meteorologist Jeff Masters at Wunderground reports Cyclopsychic research breakthrough proves hurricanes/global warming connection

4) "Pretty Active" Hurricane Season Expected: The USA Today Weather Guys give a sneak preview of the seasonal Atlantic hurricane outlook to be issued by scientists at Colorado State. What are they calling for? 13 named storms, seven hurricanes, and three intense hurricanes.

3) "Holy Sleet:" Baltimore's ABC-2 meteorologist Justin Berk blogs about why there was sleet last Thursday when no one, except WUSA's Tony Pann called for it. Major props to Tony.

2) Was it a Cold Winter Globally? Wunderground's Jeff Masters said no, our own Steve Scolnik said no, now Weather.com's Stu Ostro says no. Game. Set. Match.

1) April Fool: Slate.com gives us a highly entertaining video profile of AccuWeather's Expert Senior Meteorologist Jim Kosek, Weatherman Gone Wild

By Jason Samenow  | April 8, 2008; 11:00 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: Cool Weather Fading
Next: CommuteCast: Another Cool and Cloudy One

Comments

Ok weather guys, here's my request for a forecast prediction for this weekend. I'm going to a wedding in Charleston, SC that is being held on the beach on Saturday in the late afternoon. What do you think the weather will be like? Chances it will rain? Temperature wise will I be alright in my sleeveless dress or do I need to bring a shawl?

Posted by: Laura | April 8, 2008 12:49 PM | Report abuse

I've got a forecast request as well! I have tix for the Nats game tomorrow evening and I need to bring what I'm wearing to the game with me to work tomorrow morning. I'm sure I'll need a sweatshirt/coat, but will I have to endure anything like I did at Camden Yard on Sunday afternoon with cold, wind and drizzle?

Posted by: Ft Washington | April 8, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

Ft Washington -- NatCast will be posted bright and early at 5 a.m. tomorrow morning, but the short answer is no, the weather should be much improved from the conditions you describe at Camden Yards. Probably near 60 with a chance of a light shower or sprinkle.

Posted by: Dan, Capital Weather Gang | April 8, 2008 5:38 PM | Report abuse

To the 'Gang:
This might be addressed annually, but do you guys put out your own predictions on the Atlantic Hurricane season?

Posted by: Will in Fairfax | April 8, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Will: No-- we don't do our own hurricane forecast -- but defer to the experts at Colorado State and NOAA

Posted by: Jason, Capital Weather Gang | April 8, 2008 10:12 PM | Report abuse