The new Washington
Jump to CWG's
Latest Full Forecast
Outside now? Radar, temps
and more: Weather Wall
Follow us on Twitter (@capitalweather) and become a fan on Facebook
Posted at 11:32 PM ET, 05/11/2008

Update: Rain Pounding Region

By Jason Samenow

*Flood warnings in effect area wide until 5:30 a.m. Monday morning*

Midnight rain total update: 2.37" at Reagan National, 3.58" at Dulles

Through 11pm, Reagan National had already received 1.92" of rain, with 3.22" at Dulles. Another 1-2" of rain may fall before this storm winds down tomorrow.

Radar: Latest D.C. area radar loop and light-
ning strikes (key) from Weather Underground. Click here to zoom. Refresh page to update.

More storm notes:

*Dulles Airport has reported heavy rain for five straight hours

*It's not just rainy, but also windy. Winds have been sustained at 15-20 mph (from the east), with gusts of 30-40 mph in the metro area.

*Storm Warnings are out for the Chesapeake Bay until 4 a.m. Winds there may gust above 50 mph.

Flood Safety -- Turn around, don't drown. Never attempt to drive through a flooded roadway.

By Jason Samenow  | May 11, 2008; 11:32 PM ET
Categories:  Floods, Updates
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Forecast: More Heavy Rain
Next: The Rain-Soaked Records...

Comments

Time to start watching out for shallow-rooted trees - with the soil sodden, it won't take much wind at all to start uprooting them.

Posted by: RobinD | May 11, 2008 11:46 PM | Report abuse

My top flood safety tip: Move to Death Valley.

(In all seriousness, though, nobody takes floods seriously enough. Think it's just a few inches of water? Think again. It only takes a fraction of an inch to render your tires completely useless.)

Posted by: mcleaNed | May 12, 2008 12:01 AM | Report abuse

I hope everyone out there in CWG reader-land is safe tonight. I just finished a 3 hour drive from Richmond to Alexandria, and am ready for this rain to be over. Stay dry!

Posted by: Jamie Jones, CapitalWeatherGang | May 12, 2008 12:43 AM | Report abuse

I've run out of towels and law school outlines. It's still coming in. At this point, I don't know how to save my stuff. Is this rain gonna stop anytime soon?

Posted by: ep | May 12, 2008 12:59 AM | Report abuse

EP: Join the club. Also dealing with flooding. This situation may not improve until tomorrow afternoon.

Posted by: Jason, Capital Weather Gang | May 12, 2008 1:03 AM | Report abuse

Oh, for a sudden 30 degree drop, what wouldn't I do....

Posted by: Jake in Reston | May 12, 2008 1:14 AM | Report abuse

EP: Put everything in plastic bags? Put it on top of shelves?

Emergency drive to Public Storage? (If the roads aren't impassible, which they probably are)

Posted by: mcleaNed | May 12, 2008 1:19 AM | Report abuse

Winds picked up in intensity in last 30 min. in Herndon.

This storm is starting to remind me of Isabelle only with more rain.

It's not so suddenly become a very dangerous storm.

Posted by: Ivan | May 12, 2008 1:31 AM | Report abuse

If you're awake, take a look at your barometer.

2am obs are in the 29.30 area.

Very powerful storm.

Posted by: Ivan | May 12, 2008 2:18 AM | Report abuse

More stuff than shelves. Really important papers that are not in the safe are now in the bathtub. I found this hilarious. It's leaking from all four walls into a basement studio apartment. I'm in Brookland, I really feel for the folks in lowlying areas.

Posted by: ep | May 12, 2008 2:52 AM | Report abuse

Since the newer entries don't have posting working this morning, I'll see if it works here in an older article...

West Springfield (Accotink Lake/Mixing Bowl) = Sunday afternoon to 6:30am storm sub-total = 3.80"

Posted by: Bikerjohn | May 12, 2008 10:02 AM | Report abuse