Larry Craig: The 'Crime' Scene

For those of you that can't get enough of the Larry Craig scandal, Capitol Briefing delivers today. You want to know what the Twin Cities airport looks like, the location of Craig's arrival gate and the location of the restroom? We've got the video. You want to see the stalls in question? We've got the video. [Watch it below]

While in Minnesota last week for the preliminary hearing on the Idaho Republican's guilty plea withdrawal motion, Capitol Briefing, video camera in hand, visited the airport and retraced the senator's footsteps from that fateful June 11 trip to the restroom. The video gives readers a first-hand look at what Craig and the undercover officer saw.

Any day now Judge Charles A. Porter of Hennepin County District Court will determine whether or not the Idaho Republican can withdraw his early August guilty plea to disorderly conduct in the airport men's room.

If Porter rejects Craig's withdrawal plea, the senator may follow through on his pledge to resign, his 27-year career in Congress, literally, going down the toilet. But if Porter sides with Craig, a full trial will likely be scheduled later this year -- and the competing versions of events wil l be played out for a jury to decipher whether Craig actually broke Minnesota law.

If a trial occurs, jurors will hear testimony about the events in question, trying to discern the plausibility of Craig's version of events. Today, readers can be their own jurors and see what it looked at the scene of the crime.

By Paul Kane  |  October 3, 2007; 3:03 PM ET
Categories:  Ethics and Rules
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Democrats Begin SCHIP Veto Override Campaign
Next: UPDATE: Craig Says He Won't Resign After Adverse Ruling on His Guilty Plea

Comments

Fabulous docudrama. I'd nominate it for an Oscar Short.

Posted by: Cara Morris Stern | October 3, 2007 3:19 PM | Report abuse

When toilets are flushed in the northern hemisphere do republicans swirl clockwise or counter-clockwise?

Posted by: Mr Jones | October 3, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Republicans swirl toward money.

Posted by: castanea | October 3, 2007 3:25 PM | Report abuse

Come on everybody, you all want a full-scale trial on this, don't you?

Posted by: Sen. Larry "Wide Stance" Craig, R-Uranus | October 3, 2007 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I hope to heck this goes to trial. Larry Craig on TV day and night weeks before the elections. Priceless!

Posted by: Cal | October 3, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Let him withdraw his plea... Please, he gets the full force of a TRIAL!!!

Do airport "Vice" cops have a undercover outfit they wear?? An outfit that says "Hiya Doin?" Just wondering, maybe the cop will have to wear the undercover clothes to the trial.

Kevin Dallas

Posted by: Kevin Dallas | October 3, 2007 5:51 PM | Report abuse

They really should rename the washroom as "the Larry Craig Memorial Mens'Bathroom"
...it could become a tourist spot!

I too would like to see a long trial leading up to the election. Assuming that it does go to trial, schedule preliminary statements and arguments for June '08.

Posted by: John - Ft Lauderdale | October 3, 2007 6:43 PM | Report abuse

"Hillarious that they are remodeling that specific mens room so dividers drop lower to the floor, presumably to deter such foot play and monkey business."

Thats what they should have done in the first place.

Personally, I think the media has this all wrong...
secret hand signals...
clandestine meetings...
powerful people in transit to world center of power and intrigue...
This wasn't some mere toilet rendezvous.
Oh no.
This was not your hotbed of anonymous affection.
Mm mhhm... nope.
C'mon. Are you thinking what I'm thinking?
Thats right. This was one of those modern secret meeting places for freemasons-on-the-go. Craig really isn't actually a homosexual, and all that. Really he's some kind of grand mukkity-muck and, despite rampant speculation to the contrary, he is simply taking the fall to keep his mason brothers out of the spotlight.

What?

It could be true.

jk ;)

Posted by: Patrick Huss | October 3, 2007 9:53 PM | Report abuse

...it could become a tourist spot!

Posted by: John - Ft Lauderdale | October 3, 2007 11:03 PM | Report abuse

If the Judge has any sense he will put a gag order on the trial and only allow pool reporting.

This is a sad stupid event. The fact that Craig is held out this way while Bush continues with his stupid event and is never accountable is also sad. How many more must die to satisfy?

Posted by: JR | October 4, 2007 12:39 AM | Report abuse

Larry Craig, an Idaho potato may rot, but it won't leave on it's own. Looks like Rudy Giuliani maybe decided rehabilitation was a possibility, or at the least training for a new career path. Details can be found on the promo at:

.... ;)

Posted by: Didereaux | October 4, 2007 4:22 AM | Report abuse

.... ;)

Posted by: Didereaux | October 4, 2007 4:25 AM | Report abuse

Washington DC is contracting with a firm to use infrared scanners to determine if there is only one driver in the HOV lane. Maybe the Republicans can hire the same firm to scan its Senators and Congressmen to determine if there is heat from blood flow to a part of the body excited by possibility of a homosexual encounters.

Posted by: Roy | October 4, 2007 8:49 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: TVOR | October 4, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

Well done!! I wouldn't like to see this on camera, but also think about how hard it would be to have a wide stance with you pants down. I'm surprised his seams didn't break!

Posted by: Dan | October 4, 2007 10:00 AM | Report abuse

"If the Senate is too holy for Craig, why is Ted " Splash and Beat the Rap " Kennedy still there ?"

My guess is that the voters in Massachusetts don't give a damn how stupid the rest of the country thinks they are...

Posted by: Patrick Huss | October 4, 2007 10:08 AM | Report abuse

If the Craig debacle goes to trial and this becomes yet another media circus, I am going to enjoy my loaf of bread, hit the vomitorium, go to the baths, and quietly open my wrists.

This has to be a video game!

Posted by: Benny1 | October 4, 2007 10:27 AM | Report abuse

I know what Craig's defense could be. He had just watched a Shirley Temple movie and was just practicing some tapdancing.

Posted by: Dino | October 4, 2007 11:17 AM | Report abuse

The Senate Ethics Committee may issue a subponea for their film for the open hearings on Bathroomgate.

Posted by: afam212 | October 4, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Is the American press always this perverse?

Posted by: Concerned Foreigner | October 4, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

2 Bruce Springsteen tix, please!!

LJMattivi@comcast.net!

Posted by: Larry Mattivi | October 4, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

How about a Craig/Foley GOP ticket for 2008?

Posted by: Ben Matheny | October 4, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Paul (not sure if this is the right way to inquire about Bruce tickets, but here is a tale toward that end):

Long ago, I was on the verge of splitting with my then-girlfriend (mutual divergences), but I had bought two tickets to Jesse Colin Young, whom she adored, for her b-day...I wasn't a fan. The day of that show, a friend called and said I had to go up (from Ann Arbor, MI) to East Lansing b/c he had 2nd row seats for Bruce......I pondered; wavered; but went to Jesse Colin Young. His show was tepid, and he tried to get my then-girlfriend to hop on the band's bus after the show.....and my friend still tells me I blew it by missing Springsteen (add superlatives). The girl and I went separate ways within a month.

Now, I want to take my two kids to correct that path not taken. Can you or your friend help a fellow out?

Posted by: Johnny Guitar | October 4, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

P.S. My email is jfmsee@hotmail.com Thanks for the chance to play.

Posted by: Johnny Guitar | October 4, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Sen Larry Craig: Bathroom Remodeling Facilitator

I don't know whether Senator Craig is gay or not and I don't know about his toe-tapping abilities, but I the fact the he would vote against the Matthew Shepard Hate Crimes Act tells me he's a sleazy low-life of the first water.

Posted by: Tom Fornews | October 4, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Bruce tickets? I'm interested in one. PJohn31373(at)aol.com.

Thanks!

Posted by: pj | October 4, 2007 12:10 PM | Report abuse

POTTYGATE! - I can just see the CNN headline during the trial (which I hope never occurs)

Posted by: Mel | October 4, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

A couple of Bruce tix still available?

michael.bratt@wdn.com

Posted by: Mike | October 4, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I would like to purchase two or four of your tickets.

paul1949@comcast.net

Posted by: Paul | October 4, 2007 12:21 PM | Report abuse

I would really love to buy two Springsteen tickets. You can contact me at jofi_joseph@yahoo.com Thanks for helping out a Hill staffer!

Posted by: JJ | October 4, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I hope Porter doesn't side with Larry Craig so he can go ahead and resign. I really don't want to hear about these things on the news. Who knows? Next he could be doing the same stuff with actual American Congressman...gross.

Posted by: Terrance | October 4, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Dear Editor: Can you now send Paul Kane to video document David Vitter's interactions with a prostitute and the home improvement activities on Sen. Ted Stevens' house? Or if that is too involved, how about a reenactment - only audio! - of the phone calls Sen. Pete Domenici and Rep. Heather Wilson put in to US Attorney David Iglesias inquiring about his pending political investigations just prior to the 2006 congressional elections.

Posted by: Chester West | October 4, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I can understand why Larry Craig was seduced. That toilet is romantic and wreaks as much of sex as it does human fecal matter. Yes, the wafting of other men's waste coupled with the soft blue decor must have been unbearable for Sen. Craig. And by God, YES!! LET'S HAVE A TRIAL!!

Posted by: Larry Craig Loves Scheiße Videos | October 4, 2007 1:08 PM | Report abuse

I have two tickets to the Springsteen Concert that are available. If interested, let's meet at 7 p.m. tonight at the men's restroom in Terminal A of Reagan National. I'll be wearing the checkered Chuck Taylors. Look for me to slowly move my foot up and down three times and wave my hand under the stall. You'll know what to do next, and the tickets are yours!!

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!

Posted by: What Would You Do for Two Tickets, Larry Craig | October 4, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Senator Craig is like a floaty to the Republicans. He just dosen't want to go down! No matter how many times they flush. What a terd.

Posted by: mremic | October 4, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

If Craig is really a closet homosexual, it should be a lot of fun to see his case play out in court. I am sure there will be one or more persons in the past that had toilet encounters with Craig, who will testify for the prosecution. I don't know if the Republicans can stand more embarrassment, but I hope his sexual history comes out into the open around election time. It will be another Mark Foley fodder for the late night comedians, and it will further define these neocon hypocrites.

Posted by: Genuinin | October 4, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

The ACLU, god bless them, will defend Craig, claiming that it was entrapment. They say cops shouldn't be looking for perverts in men's rooms. They should be out fighting REAL crime. I don't know if anybody has any male children out there, but I sure wouldn't want my kid being solicited or witnessing a sexual encounter while going to the bathroom. Thank you Minneapolis police!

Posted by: benchpresser | October 4, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

I like Springsteen. See you at Reagan, tonight. It's a date.

Posted by: Larry Craig | October 4, 2007 2:11 PM | Report abuse

You'll know who I am, WWYDFT. I use a wide stance. Maybe we can party at the men's room at MCI too.

Posted by: Larry Craig | October 4, 2007 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Boy oh Boy. For people who are so offended by this act, it sure does seem like everyone wants a chance to give it a try...and if they can't go there, they can now watch video of someone filming themselves sitting in a stall. fascinating stuff here. please.

Posted by: wtf? | October 4, 2007 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Republicans should stay out of public restrooms for a while. If they're not shooting Iraqis they're menacing our families back home.
Creepy.

Posted by: hhkeller | October 4, 2007 2:46 PM | Report abuse

Its over. Withdrawel denied.

He's officially gay now. Ironic that one of his last votes was against hate crimes legislation.

He might want to consider relocating to San Fran. I don't think Idahoans cotton to no sissies.

Posted by: Titus | October 4, 2007 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Well, the judge decided... and as I said, Porter wasn't going to set precedent for people to start appealing their mail-order pleas. I'll be interested in reading the summary and Porter's response to Martin's contention that a mailed-in plea does not satisfy the requirement of colloquy.

Posted by: proxli | October 4, 2007 3:08 PM | Report abuse

So, when is this moron going to resign? He is yet another one of these revolting Republicans caught with their pants down! What a hyocrite!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 4, 2007 5:18 PM | Report abuse

Some people needs to get a clue. Forget about the actual incident for a while. The recording with the arresting officer should have been enough to shame Craig from vacating his post. Wide stance when his pants are down? TP from the floor? Pleading guilty in order to placate the sitution? Welcome to W.'s Wonderland.

Posted by: BlueDog | October 4, 2007 6:09 PM | Report abuse

You know that Sen Craig always looks good next to a guy names Crapo.

Posted by: lwps | October 4, 2007 6:56 PM | Report abuse

As cowardly and self-serving as Ted Kennedy's actions were back then, he was pretty young, drank too much and had fairly recently watched two of his brothers get blown to bits. I wondered about his overall mental stability and strength of character at the time, and about him staying on in the Senate, too. But I don't anymore. I think he has been an incredible asset to the party and to the country, devoting his life to the causes championed by his brothers with amazing courage and conviction. The fact that Craig is doing everything he can to persecute gay people while trying to hide his own homosexual behavior is calculated and craven. What a total creep.

Posted by: DC Denizen | October 4, 2007 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I'm not gay now and never have been gay. If I can not get my guilty plea reversed I will resign from the Senate. I'm not resigning from the Senate. Is there anything this man says that is believable?

Posted by: tiredofholyhypocrits | October 4, 2007 8:47 PM | Report abuse

doesn't anybody realize that this bathroom encounter was a secret anti-terrorism meeting gone awry? geez, this is national security stuff, and the good senator from i'da ho was merely trying collect secrets from an informant.
if craig takes a fall, the terrorists win!

Posted by: dougbob | October 4, 2007 9:23 PM | Report abuse

Craig to America: "CAN it!"

Posted by: sawargos | October 4, 2007 9:29 PM | Report abuse

I too decided to measure one of these stalls. It measured about 31". Unless the Senator has really baggy pants, I don't see how he could have a "wide stance" with his pants around his ankles. If his pants were not down, then what was he doing there?

Posted by: MSP Traveler | October 4, 2007 9:54 PM | Report abuse

He should "come out" in drag. He'd be electable in Kalifornia or take Teddy's Senate spot soon as he looks close to being embalming by scotch!

Posted by: Notahomo | October 5, 2007 6:02 PM | Report abuse

Eh, why add dividers when Craigy-boi will just bore a hole through it, after all, isn't that what the log cabin Republicans do to their outhouses?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 5, 2007 8:52 PM | Report abuse

Did you really travel all the way to Minnesota just to get some "footage"?

Posted by: Kid | October 9, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse