Colleagues React to Kennedy's Diagnosis

UPDATE 2:55 PM: Reaction to the news of Kennedy's diagnosis began to pour in as Senators emerged a few minutes ago from their weekly policy lunches. They were grim-faced at the plight of their colleague.

"It's times like this that you realize the Senate really is a family," said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid (D-Nev.), adding that "anyone who knows Ted Kennedy also knows that he is a fighter. He has a work ethic like no other and has risen to every challenge he's faced - and we are confident he will rise to this one as well."

Reid said he had spoken to Kennedy's wife, Vicki, and she said her husband had "a bounce in his step" and was "in really good spirits with lots of energy." The Majority Leader said he felt confident Kennedy would recover.

Kennedy's Massachusetts colleague, Sen. John Kerry (D), said, "Ted Kennedy and the Kennedy family have faced adversity more times and more instances with more courage, more integrity and more grace than most families ever have to face." Kerry said that when he saw Kennedy over the weekend, "he was in a fighting mood."

On the Republican side, Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.) spoke after what he called "a somber lunch today" with his GOP colleagues. "I know I speak for all of our members when I say this is a development of great concern and sadness," McConnell said.

UPDATE 1:55 PM: According to the National Cancer Institute, "malignant gliomas are the most common primary brain tumor, accounting for more than half of the more than 18,000 primary malignant brain tumors diagnosed each year in the United States." Seizures are one of the most common symptoms of gliomas.

The 76-year-old Kennedy was initially thought to have suffered "stroke-like symptoms" when he fell ill at his family's home on Cape Cod, though doctors had since ruled out a stroke as the cause of his seizure. Kennedy has had numerous health problems in the past. Last October, he underwent surgery to unblock a severely clogged artery in his neck, which was preventing blood from reaching his brain.

His office has been putting out word that he was alert and in good sprits, joking and watching Red Sox games. He has received calls or visits from high-profile well-wishers including President Bush and Sens. Hillary Rodham Clinton (D-N.Y.), Barack Obama (D-Ill.) and John Kerry (D-Mass.).

Kennedy's colleagues had been cheered by the seeming good news about his condition, though it was clear he would not return to work in the Senate this week.

ORIGINAL POST 1:27 PM: Sen. Edward Kennedy's (D-Mass.) office just announced that he has been diagnosed with a "malignant glioma," or tumor, in his brain. Such a condition is usually treated with radiation and/or chemotherapy, though the statement says decisions on his treatment have not been made yet. Kennedy has been hospitalized since suffering a seizure Saturday morning.

Here is the full statement from Kennedy's office:

**********

Statement from Dr. Lee Schwamm, Vice Chairman, Department of Neurology, Massachusetts General Hospital, and Dr. Larry Ronan, Primary Care Physician, Massachusetts General Hospital.

"Over the course of the last several days, we've done a series of tests on Senator Kennedy to determine the cause of his seizure. He has had no further seizures, remains in good overall condition, and is up and walking around the hospital. Some of the tests we had performed were inconclusive, particularly in light of the fact that the Senator had severe narrowing of the left carotid artery and underwent surgery just 6 months ago. However, preliminary results from a biopsy of the brain identified the cause of the seizure as a malignant glioma in the left parietal lobe. The usual course of treatment includes combinations of various forms of radiation and chemotherapy. Decisions regarding the best course of treatment for Senator Kennedy will be determined after further testing and analysis. Senator Kennedy will remain at Massachusetts General Hospital for the next couple of days according to routine protocol. He remains in good spirits and full of energy."

***********

By Ben Pershing  |  May 20, 2008; 2:54 PM ET
Categories:  Senate
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Fossella Will Retire, Not Resign
Next: Oregon Senate: Something 'a Little Different'

Comments

I will keep him and his family in my prayers. Such a wonderful man, how sad.

Posted by: Carol | May 20, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

I will keep him and his family in my prayers. Such a wonderful man, how sad.

Posted by: Carol | May 20, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

My deepest sympathies to Senator Kennedy and his family.

With any luck, he can return to doing the work he loves to do for the people of Mass. Truly an American icon.

Posted by: corbetto | May 20, 2008 1:51 PM | Report abuse

Being the last born in a family of stellar siblings, and having suffered losses of 3 older brothers, Ted Kennedy had a family legacy to carry on his shoulders. Although he had a tough start to his professional life, some would say part was due to his own shortcomings, he grew and matured into a journeyman Senator who accomplished a great deal for those not as fortunate as himself, and was a voice for a common-sense liberal approach to policy. Since the passing of Wellstone, Kennedy has been a reasoned liberal voice. He can not be replaced; he can only be respected.

Posted by: Celeste Campbell | May 20, 2008 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Senator Kennedy is my senator in Massachusetts. He has been one of my senators here, for as many years as I have lived in Massachusetts. He is a great man, and will no doubt marshal the courage and strength to survive that he has so before marshaled to lead the country, and to fight for civil rights, universal health care, education, and many other reality oriented issues regards the American people.

As for the abstract politics of fear, self-interest, money, power, and delusional causes practiced by many in government, he rises above purely. This senator of my state is a great American, an honorable electable official and a role model to me, and many, many others.

He is loved and gives to our country the noble aspirations of the founders. I cheer him in this time, and I insist we be optimistic, indeed.

Posted by: Dean Rosenthal | May 20, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

The Senator and his family are in my prayers for a speedy recovery and to get back doing what he loves most -- working for the betterment of every human being.

Posted by: Jan | May 20, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

This is sad news. I was hoping he'd be fine but lets all hope for the best. Age is definitely a factor, lets hope is not immediately life threatening.

Posted by: Rah | May 20, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

Regardless of what your political affiliation is, this man has worked tirelessly to make life better for so many Americans. Now, as he has enjoyed a distinguished senatorial career and a stable home life, this tragedy has befallen the family. All we can do is pray for him and his family that medicine and prayers will alleviate his condition.

Posted by: Robin | May 20, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

He will rally! This man is a fighter and a true hero on behalf of those who are the least favored among us. God bless him and long may he wave!!

Posted by: Rita Clarke | May 20, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Senator Kennedy is such a compassionate and wonderful person. Myself and my entire family shall keep him in our prayers.

Posted by: Michael Ngugi | May 20, 2008 1:58 PM | Report abuse

At times like this prayer and faith is what ensures his chances for a full recovery. He is a wonderful human being who is deserving of a true miracle and abundance of blessigs along with his family. Let us all unite in prayer.

Posted by: Carlos | May 20, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

He has not made my life better with his class warfare and endless pursuit of socialism. That said, I do not wish this illness on anyone and pray for a speedy recovery. He should, however, resign his post in the senate. I feel undergoing chemo and medical treatment of seizures would most likely impair his ability to legislate, although that may be an improvement.

Posted by: john | May 20, 2008 2:04 PM | Report abuse

my thoughts and prayers are with the Senator and his family- my husband had a brain tumor and he fought till the last day- may there be a miracle for you-

Posted by: irith weiner | May 20, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

let us unite in prayer period...for this stellar gentleman ,others who received a new diagnosis today,this month this year..our politicians,our nation and our world..I pray for a mighty move of GOD

Posted by: Anonymous | May 20, 2008 2:05 PM | Report abuse

I was shocked for a minute. Then I said to myself, Rose get over it. This is what I feel, Senator Kennedy will get up and get busy. There is so much work to do and he has to do it. May God Bless and keep you Senator Kennedy.

Posted by: Rose McClain | May 20, 2008 2:10 PM | Report abuse

It is will great sadness that I learn of Senator Kennedy condition. He as been a standard barrier for the liberal cause and in my opinion the only right and just cause. He has lived his life fighting for the rights of the common people, when he could have rested on the political fortunes of his lost brothers. He did not. I wish him and his family well. He will be in my prayers. May the white light of healing energy surround him and my his journey to wellness remain uncomplicated and speedy. With respect and admiration, well wishes are sent.

Posted by: Bonnie | May 20, 2008 2:14 PM | Report abuse

At least he had a long life.

Posted by: Karl | May 20, 2008 2:15 PM | Report abuse

The nation certainly needs Senator Kennedy to get well soon. I don't know what we would do without him.

My prayers are with him and his family.

Posted by: Regina | May 20, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

He will fight back. Like all of us he has made mistakes but turned his life around and has served our country well. Anyone that says otherwise (John in a previous comment) is blinded by party affiliation or clueless to the political contributions this senator and his family have made. We have all benefited. Let him recover in peace. My prayers are with him and his family.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 20, 2008 2:18 PM | Report abuse

I hear that there are some wonderful hospitals in Canada that can treat him. God bless his family.

Sorry to hear about that girl he left in the ditch.

Posted by: Lincon411 | May 20, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

May he be back to fight another day!!

Posted by: J | May 20, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

Too bad Mary Jo Kopechne didn't get a second chance.

Posted by: Ron | May 20, 2008 2:20 PM | Report abuse

I hope he comes back stronger than before!

Posted by: pablo | May 20, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: john | May 20, 2008 2:04 PM

Perhaps this guy that goes by the name of john, and posted the above comment, is a member of the board of directors of exxon-mobil. That would be the only way he could not feel the pain of the current economic situation that most folks are undergoing now in this country, caused, by the way, by the current administration. Maybe kennedy's "pursuit of socialism" (according to this guy), has interfered with his making 2 billion bucks more and make his life better.

Posted by: FRANK RIVAS | May 20, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Our family will hold Sen. Kennedy in our thoughts and prayers during this difficult time. Our best wishes for healing... Our gratitude for the work Sen. Kennedy has done for this nation. May you feel the warmth of God holding you close.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 20, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

Glad he is dying. He kills a another and cancer eats him away. Good riddence

Posted by: Paul | May 20, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

The doctors may have diagnosed, but doctor Jesus can cure! Through him all things are possible. Senator Kennedy I know that you are a man of faith and that God has always been in your life as well as your family life. Just stay focus on him and remember, "He can do anything" Be strong and be of good courage.

Posted by: PW | May 20, 2008 2:32 PM | Report abuse

Now we understand why he endorsed Obama: he's got a brain tumor.

Posted by: B.M. | May 20, 2008 2:33 PM | Report abuse

I'm sure Senator Kennedy will use this time to do what he has always done: highlight the needs of Americans and try to change things for the better. My heart goes out to him and his family.

Posted by: Rose | May 20, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Sad news indeed. How I wish this had stayed a "mystery seizure." Our thoughts are with the Kennedys today.

Posted by: Fairfax Voter | May 20, 2008 2:34 PM | Report abuse

Wonderful man? Remember Mary Jo!!!

Worthless mouthpiece for the NEOLIB cabal.

Posted by: The Truth | May 20, 2008 2:35 PM | Report abuse

Wishing someone good riddance when they are sick is a terrible thing to do. Kidding or not. Brain tumors are serious business and anyone can have one.

I hope he overcomes the tumor and no he should not resign his Senate seat not unless the docs tell him he will be unable to return to work at all.

Let him make the decision.

Posted by: Candy | May 20, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Im sure the lady he left in that sinking car was in more pain than the cancer he has. Its about time he left this earth.

Posted by: Rob | May 20, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Senator Kennedy has been over these 46 years a true Tribune of the People. He has been, without any doubt or any measure, the greatest US Senator in his time. All who share in the knowledge that God wants us to work to ever more perfect our human sociiety must know that Ted Kennedy has been a consistent, foucsed and accomplished leader of hte national effort. No area of national or local, communal or personal, economic or moral issue has been untouched by his charisma and then his hard work to make things better. May God grant him a complete healing, a healing of spirit as well as of body, so that the nation and world community can continue to rely upon his vision and his energy and his burning desire for a more just and humane human society.

Posted by: Robert Agus | May 20, 2008 2:37 PM | Report abuse

How pathetic--that during a time of great stress for Senator Kennedy's family, some of the folks who posted here could not resist negative jibes. He is a highly constructive and often bi-partisan member of the Senate. The sooner he is back, the better for all of us.

Posted by: Texun | May 20, 2008 2:38 PM | Report abuse

But what about Mary Jo?? He killed her like any common criminal and got away with it because of his family name. He deserves to die.

Posted by: Paul | May 20, 2008 2:39 PM | Report abuse

I am a dyed-in-the-wool, blue blood Republican. This is not a time for politics.

My prayers are with the Senator and his family. May God grant him a full and speedy recovery.

Posted by: Brad | May 20, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

May God Bless Senator Kennedy and I hope he return back to his good health

Posted by: HP | May 20, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

May God help Senator Kennedy and his family. He has been the voice of social justice and civil rights for several decades. Our Nation needs more leaders like him. I pray for him to be well very soon.

Posted by: E Rosa | May 20, 2008 2:42 PM | Report abuse

I'm very sad to hear about your health.
I admire you so much.
Don't quit!
We need more politicians like you.
From Canada Good Luck!

Posted by: Jocelyne Jobin | May 20, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

Kennedy, like all of us, has done both good and evil in his lifetime. We are not his judges. At the moment, I wish for him peace and the love of family.

Posted by: Diana Kitch | May 20, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

There is absolutely nothing bi-partisan about this NEOLIB shill. Mean spirited, divisive, anti-American traitor. He should be in jail.

Remember Mary Jo!!!

Posted by: The Truth | May 20, 2008 2:43 PM | Report abuse

i FEEL SORRY FOR YOU "john" since you seem to feel some comfort in the distress of another soul. May you prayers be heard and returned to you in full measure. Now regarding Mr. Kennedy may the G-D of mercy and compassion and generosity comfort him and his loved ones, and may only the Will of our heavenly father be done unto him and not the will of men. Many thanks to you SIR and your brothers for sacrificing their lives in the publics service and to the extended family Sir, and may the luck of the Irish hold fast and may you see the day of a new President of these UNITED STATES OF AMERICA. G-D BLESS. CVS

Posted by: Anonymous | May 20, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Senator Kennedy is such a compassionate and wonderful person. Myself, wife and my only son shall keep him in our prayers.

I believe Senator Kennedy will recover miracally and re-join his family members at home soon.

Posted by: Shafiqul Islam, Flushing, NY | May 20, 2008 2:45 PM | Report abuse

I cannot believe the nature of some of these posts. Are these people saying "good riddance" residents of the United States? Of the civilized world?

Posted by: chuck mcfadden | May 20, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Every good wish and hope to you, Senator Kennedy; your country needs you. Thank you for everything you have already given.
And to those posters referencing the Kopechne drowning at Chappaquiddick as an indictment of Ted Kennedy, I want to ask this: How many dead in Iraq (American and Iraqi) and at what cost to the United States? I know you will insist that those numbers be part of the legacy tied to George Bush like cans to a cur dog's tail.

Posted by: Maia | May 20, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

Although he was expelled from Harvard, did what many consider the unspeakable by
allegedly failing to aid a young girl drowning in his auto which he had driven off a bridge after an evening of heavy drinking and has blocked a wind mill farm off the famous Kennedy compound in Hyannisport because it blocks their view and we don't need the energy anyway, I still consider him a great American and wish him a speedy recovery.

Posted by: tedster007 | May 20, 2008 2:47 PM | Report abuse

What a loss for this country! The late Paul Stevens, reporter for a Brockton Mass, daily paper, would be heartbtoken. When Ted's son had surgery for loss of a leg, Ted gave my brother-in-law exclusive coverage because he trusted that the final news report would be fair. I travelled with Paul several times to events in Plymouth, Mass attended by Ted Kennedy and do admire him and what he has accomlished for all of Americans so far. Onward, Ted!

Posted by: Joanne | May 20, 2008 2:50 PM | Report abuse

I appreciate what an ardent supporter of American principles and the downtrodden and abused Senator Kennedy has been. He has the deepest, heartfelt prayers going for him, 'round the world. Most have forgiven his early mistakes. With his strength of character and resoluteness, hopefully he can pull through, as longer survivabilities are being seen, and we hope he can continue to serve the people as long as possible. God bless you, Senator Kennedy!

From San Francisco CA

Posted by: Moe | May 20, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

First you answer for Chappaquiddick... don't change the subject.

Evil, evil man! Communist's best friend.

Posted by: The Truth | May 20, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

There are many pesimistic comments here and there may not be cause. My father had a similar tumer treated non invasively with a Gamma Knife theropy. He was 78 at the time nearly 10 years ago and is still going strong. My hopes for the best for Senator Kennedy.

Posted by: Walter Graupner | May 20, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Senator Kennedy: Please stick around long enough to see the Neocons' rear ends hit the sidewalk this January. Thank you.

Posted by: YouCan'tHandleTheTruth | May 20, 2008 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Given the mind-body connection, it's simply the malignant thoughts from over the years as he pursued his socialist agenda boomeranging back on him. I mean, it's not like he killed anyone or anything.

Dang, what is it with the Kennedy brain? If they don't put a bullet in it, it turns on itself.

Relax this is just ironic, irrelevant observation.

Posted by: Stick | May 20, 2008 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I pray that Senator Kennedy, makes a full recovery with the grace of God he will survive for many more years. It is not our place to judge a person but God. However, he has aided the needy and has always been a campion of the poor and of persons and children in need. I pray that God will bless him and his family.

Posted by: maxine | May 20, 2008 3:02 PM | Report abuse

When President John F. Kennedy was assassinated, I was nine years old. I can remember being rendered utterly speechless and feeling deeply shocked when my (white, Christian, red-blooded American, Republican, middle-class, hard-working, tax-paying) parents declared with great venom that they were glad he was dead. I knew, in my heart of hearts, that that kind of hatred was wrong and that it represented a cancerous disconnect from compassion and what it is to be a true human being.

Man's inhumanity to man--so distressingly evident in some of these vile and heartless posts--is alive and well in America.

May Joseph's and John's and Bobby's baby brother be surrounded by those who know and love him. May he win this battle and live to serve us again--as he has for so many years--another day.

Posted by: Leslie | May 20, 2008 3:03 PM | Report abuse

The people of Massachussetts must be heartbroken. They voted overwhelmingly for Clinton, and Sen. Kennedy endorsed Obama. Great way to show respect for the people of his state.

Posted by: berry | May 20, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

I grew up in Massachusetts where the Kennedys stood for everything that was good. They were also masters of the political process. Ted has survived the deaths of all his brothers and carried a great burden to live up to their standards of success. Each brother contributed his all for America. Despite his burden, Ted Kennedy has done well.

He is a great leader in the Senate for the liberal cause. I hope that we will have him with us for some time to continue his leading role in creating legislation to help the disadvantaged, the disenfranchised and disabled people of America.

He is a flawed man who made terrible mistakes in his early career. But everything he has done since then has been in attonment for his sins. That may not satisfy some, but in my book he has served his Country well.

The prognosis for this type of tumor is very bleak. I hope that his doctors will find a way to beat the odds. With great sadness, Weiant.

Posted by: Weiant | May 20, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Brad - you have my sympathies for being a dyed-in-the-wool Republican; and Paul, you are just plain ignorant. I'm praying for Senator Kennedy and his family.

Posted by: Dianne | May 20, 2008 3:04 PM | Report abuse

Ted, My honest thoughts of hoping you will show everyone how strong you are and stay in the Senate for as long as you wish.
Know that there are real people out here who wish you the best. I cannot believe that there are such hateful people who are using this opportunity to spout out their polical opinions. The Washington Post should be screening these comments better. It's plain tacky for these idiots to be allowed to blubber nonsense at this time. Hang in there.

Posted by: Berta Wyngaarden | May 20, 2008 3:05 PM | Report abuse

We need people like you. My prayers for your healing.

Posted by: Nancy DuBois | May 20, 2008 3:06 PM | Report abuse

One doesn't recover from glioblastoma in the parietal lobe. Sen. Kennedy will probably not live to see the victor in the November; if he does manage to do that, he will not last far into the new year (2009).

Posted by: Trevor | May 20, 2008 3:12 PM | Report abuse

I don't agree with Sen. Kennedy's policies and politics, but this is a time to put such differences aside. Sen. Kennedy and his family will be in my thoughts and prayers, and I wish him a speedy recovery.

Posted by: bdstauffer | May 20, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

One doesn't recover from glioblastoma in the parietal lobe. Sen. Kennedy will probably not live to see the victor in the November election; if he does manage to do that, he will not last far into the new year (2009).

Posted by: Trevor | May 20, 2008 3:14 PM | Report abuse

Too bad Mary Jo Kopechne didn't get a second chance.

Posted by: Ron | May 20, 2008 2:20 PM

Compassionate conservatism.

Posted by: DFC102 | May 20, 2008 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Chappaquiddick incident
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Today's Date: 05-21-08
After you read this ask yourself how many of the delusional narcissistic personality disordered people calling Mr. Kennedy a "true hero" forgot to read "Wikipedia's Chappaquiddick Incident" when Ted chose not to reach for Maryann's hand when the car was under water and did let her drown, chose not to stop by the first house out of four he passed walking away from the car he put under water by accident, after she did not appear above water and chose not to call for help, and did pay off the family with $95,000 and $45,000 all from a man whose net worth was about $50,000,000.00 plus at the time. Behaves like a Kennedy, looks like a Kennedy and presents a family history of duplicitous sociopathic behaviors like a narcissistic Kennedy. A public that could reelect him have to be dishonorable people or nuts.

His behavior is in question not his name.
Mark

Posted by: Mark | May 20, 2008 3:17 PM | Report abuse

As one who has suffered from a Gliosis, a much milder brain injury, resulting in Short Term memory loss and many side effects, I sympathize with Senator Kennedy and his family. The road to recovery is very difficult. I've been on that road for 4 years and it seems to be getting progressively worse. Let us pray that Senator Kennedy has a speedy recovery. Losing your memory is sometimes worse than losing physical abilities. I am a devout Conservative urging each of us to pray for Ted Kennedy. We may not agree politically, but we should all be praying for his recovery.

Posted by: JayBird | May 20, 2008 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Dianne | May 20, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Why oh why if someone from Massachusetts had to get sick couldn't it have been Ben Affleck!

Posted by: Matt Damon | May 20, 2008 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Jaybird you deserve to die just for having the screen name Jaybird!

Posted by: Momo | May 20, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Now if only Hillary Clinton will get breast cancer then I can die a happy man!

Posted by: Rush | May 20, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

yes, we all do evil and good in this world, but just could not get over what he did to Mary Jo, a faithful catholic like his whole family, what a shame on himself and family.....he just weasled himself out of telling the truth. I've always thought that when we do evil like that, we get our due punishment in time whatever that might be and seems this may be his come to haunt him.

Posted by: Jane G. | May 20, 2008 3:25 PM | Report abuse

I am sad today after hearing about Senator Kennedy's tumor. He was born in wealth but has compassion for the poor and needy as do other Kennedys who are known by their works. Ted Kennedy is loved by the people he serves. Although just a human being he has the atributes of Christ our Savior. Galations 2:10..."Only that they would remember the poor..." My prayer is that he will recover and continue to do his work in the Senate. My love and prayers goes out to the entire family.

Posted by: Wanda Thompson | May 20, 2008 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Ted we love you, as we loved Bobby....hang in there....

Posted by: Scott Shipman | May 20, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

I think that it may be the time for the Washington Post to discontinue posting readers' comments.

I am praying for Senator Kennedy's recovery.

Posted by: Robert M Kraus | May 20, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

somehow i doubt jane g's wish for vengeance doesn't extend to the murderous bush clan.

Posted by: linda | May 20, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Liberal HYPOCRITES you bring mer to the point of vomit ! !

Posted by: Lizard2 | May 20, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Liberal HYPOCRITES you bring mer to the point of vomit ! !

Posted by: Lizard2 | May 20, 2008 3:43 PM | Report abuse

Kennedy's illness will disable Obama's campaign. Obama hoped to take Kennedy to important events and use his authority to sway other Senators to endorse Obama.

Posted by: Grace | May 20, 2008 3:44 PM | Report abuse

Kennedy's plan to control the Democratic campaign is finished. Let us have a real democratic election and count Michigan and Florida votes. We need to take the candidates to the convention.

Clinton can beat McCain in November. Obama can not beat McCain in the General.

Posted by: Grace | May 20, 2008 3:49 PM | Report abuse

Dang, we're a hateful bunch! It's eay to have compassion when you have inheirited wealth; you don't have to worry about your money to be taken to pay for it.

I'm sorry he's dying. Now I'll never get to ask him in a public forum if he still sends the Kopechnes a Christmas card. I wonder if they will send him a get well card?

Posted by: Stick | May 20, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

National tragedies seem to bring out both the best and the worst in people. I suppose it depends on whether one's outlook is narrow and vindictive or broad and understanding. My impression is that Sen. Kennedy has been a strong positive influence and my hope is that this influence will persist.

Posted by: David | May 20, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Isn't it just like a lunatic with the screen name of Momo to comment
"Jaybird you deserve to die just for having the screen name Jaybird!"

Posted by: Momo | May 20, 2008 3:23 PM

That is the kind of lunacy that makes this country so divisive. I'll be praying for you too Momo, God knows you can use it.

Posted by: Jaybird | May 20, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Senator Kennedy, I have been an admirer of yours for as far back as I can remember. What an icon you are! I will keep you in my prayers, and pray God keeps you strong at this difficult time. Hang in there, you are a KENNEDY!!!! They are the BEST!
I will also pray for the individuals that had nothing decent to say! They are the ones that need the help! I'm glad to see they think they are all so perfect!!! The individuals that wished you so called "bad luck" a fair warning to them: be careful what YOU wish for! God works in mysterious ways.
May God Bless you and your family. You are loved around this world more than you know.

Posted by: PC | May 20, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

Wish him my best. Too bad he never actually did much for Mass or the country and, instead, remained Senator on name recognition. Still - I would not wish his condition on him or anyone else.

Posted by: John D | May 20, 2008 4:07 PM | Report abuse

The guy was a great swimmer! Looks like we will be losing a hero at Chappaquidick! Oh well, a good opening for MITT I suppose.

Posted by: Peter | May 20, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

My sincere sympathy goes out to Ted Kennedy and his family and for a complete and as painless a recovery as can be accomplished.

Having said that I will agree with many of the posters who have expressed their opinion, and rightly so, of TK's unethical behavior thruout his teen and adult life. The most flagrant violation of human sensibility was when he allowed Mary Jo to drown while he swam to safety and then had his "henchmen" provide endless cover. A sin no devout Catholic (or for that matter any person of any religion)could live with.

Having been born into wealth he has never had to spend one day of his entire life in any type of labor, manual or otherwise, in order to put food on the table or clothes on the back of his children. He no more can emphasize with the truly poor or everyday working man than the majority of us can imagine ourselves in his position of privilege.

He came into political power at the hand of his father who bought and sold people like they were his personal properties. He espoused assisting the common working man ONLY because he didn't ever have to live in their environment.

My father, who died at the age of 44 with cancer, left me with this thought and it has always remained with me.

"You can ALWAYS be for something that you don't have to be a part of."

Posted by: dharper | May 20, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

I hope that Senator Kennedy and his family will get through this. Despite any pitfalls that he has had during his lifetime, he is still my favorite Senator!

Posted by: Michael Anderson | May 20, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

Leslie's comment says it all for me.

Not sure how the neanderthals leaving inhuman messages on an occasion like this gained the literacy to use a computer..

Posted by: RoW, RoW, Row Your Boat | May 20, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I don't often read these types of blogs, because in every one I have seen, there are a extremely disappointing number of negative, vicious posts. We all know Wikipedia is not a valid source of information, since it can be (and is) edited by anyone with an opinion. And opinions are not objective. So the site is largely as biased as it is possible to be. The person who claims Kennedy was an antisocial personality disorder obviously doesn't understand that excessive drinking is a medical issue, not a personality issue. Kennedy was under the influence of alcohol when he made those very sad, tragic mistakes. That doesn't excuse him, but it needs to be recognized. And yes, he made some mistakes following the death...I'm sure he was advised by a team of lawyers, and we know how that goes. But, since I have been a practicing psychologist for many years, I am confident that people who need to and enjoy posting extremely angry and vicious blogs might share some of the symptoms of the anti-social personality disordered.

Posted by: Joanna | May 20, 2008 4:28 PM | Report abuse

This is a shame, how much heart ache can the Kennedy Dynasty take. Is this family really cursed or is it just a precursor of what lies ahead.

Posted by: Gluttony2 | May 20, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

You knew it was only a matter of time before the slime mold came out of the dark corners of the the right wing swamp.

Posted by: Capt Flint | May 20, 2008 5:03 PM | Report abuse

We have turned the tv off!

The hypocrisy of politicians is overwhelming at times, this being one of them.

They are all "praying" for Ted Kennedy.....I never knew they knew anything about prayer, and I still don't...it is a social cliche these days!

Were they at all reflective, ethical, and prayerful, we wouldn't be in the dam*ed mess we are in in Congress!!! Shame on the whole lot of them!

Posted by: Sean McM | May 20, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

i grew up watching the kennedy family from president kennedys death on to losing john kennedy.iv always loved that family. they have had there shere of heart aches.now here we go again.my heart goes out to them.god bless them.i will be saying a special preyer for them.i wish the very best for mr kennedy and the rest of the kennedy clan.god bless every one of youll.

Posted by: joyce sullivan | May 20, 2008 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Whatever happens, at least his family can take comfort knowing he has lived a long, full, and giving life. God bless.

Posted by: scott | May 20, 2008 5:34 PM | Report abuse

Oh, this is sad news. A brain tumor is just plain no good, and I can imagine for someone as intellectually active and socially/politically engaged as Sen. Ted Kennedy it must be just awful to be stuck in the hospital. That said, he's at one of the best hospitals in the world, and they can provide outstanding care.

I hope his quality of life does not diminish, and that his friends and family surround him with positive energy and love.

Kathleen

Posted by: kb | May 20, 2008 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Relax this is just ironic, irrelevant observation.

Posted by: Stick | May 20, 2008 3:01 PM

Compassionate conservatism.

Posted by: DFC102 | May 20, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

mr.Ted Kennedy,I was in a state of shock when I heard this news report about 45 min. ago you know what I laid my hands on my television and prayed for you,Mr. Kennedy GOD is a great GOD he will not lay nothing on you that you can't handle you come from a family who knows just that!! and you are such a great person we here in my household will keep you lifted with prayers,and we will also keep your family in prayer as well. we will claim the victory!!BLESSINGS,we love you,jean/john

Posted by: jean and john | May 20, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

what is wrong with some of you people? how classless you are. rush, stick and others, a kennedy--nor i--would ever say those things about you. please, at least for now, find some grace in your heart.

Posted by: travers | May 20, 2008 6:17 PM | Report abuse

I wonder who will suffer more? Kennedy or Mary Jo Kopechne?

Posted by: Bob | May 20, 2008 7:04 PM | Report abuse

"Stick" and his ilk reveal the deep seated, malevolent hatred that festers in the minds and souls of many members of the far right.
Joanna, the psychologist made a thoughtful comment about these people. They have serious mental or emotional problems. They think they are superior to everyone else and have, of course, never made mistakes of which they should be ashamed.
Sadly, this hatred is nurtured by the likes of Limbaugh and Hannity. It's all about the $.
I would venture to say that if a right wing hero was suffering this tragedy, we would not see people who are politically progressive post such nasty, vicious comments.
Do these right wingers have no decency? I guess that's a rhetorical question. They certainly have no humanity.

Posted by: colton | May 20, 2008 7:12 PM | Report abuse

Liberal HYPOCRITES you bring mer to the point of vomit ! !

Posted by: Lizard2 | May 20, 2008 3:43 PM

Compassionate conservatism.

Posted by: DFC102 | May 20, 2008 7:14 PM | Report abuse

lizard2, why do you need to keep repeating your vile comments? Once is more than enough. We get it. We get people like you. Enough. Give it a rest.

Posted by: colton | May 20, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

I hope the rest of Sen. Kennedy's life is painless and filled with happiness and satisfaction.

...and Grace, you're a worthless b!tch.

Posted by: Futureproof | May 20, 2008 7:46 PM | Report abuse

My family and I have been Kennedy family supporters for many years, and will continue with the newer generation. I have said a prayer for the Senator, and have confidence that he will respond appropriately to God's will for him. He has shown his courage and strength, and ability to grow, throughout his whole life. We are proud of you, Ted, and hope you know that you will be supported, even lifted, by the prayers that thousands of us offer for you. And don't forget your Mother Rose in Heaven ... surely she is "calling in her chits" in heaven!

Posted by: Maria Buatti | May 20, 2008 7:48 PM | Report abuse

"Now if only Hillary Clinton will get breast cancer then I can die a happy man!

Posted by: Rush | May 20, 2008 3:25 PM"

Be careful what you wish for, Rush. Men get breast cancer too.

Posted by: colton | May 20, 2008 7:49 PM | Report abuse

I sincerely wish Mr. Kennedy the best possible recovery and thank him for his continuous service to our country. I want to give him courage and hope because overcoming this disease is possible.
I have experienced a seizure disorder since the age of 31 and am now 65; also, I have had ovarian cancer and undergone chemotherapy and surgery in 2000-2001. I am free of cancer and the seizure disorder has in no way hampered my intellectual pursuits nor abilities. You can survive this too; we Irish Americans are a tough bunch.

Posted by: Karen | May 20, 2008 8:01 PM | Report abuse

My family and I wish Senator Kennedy the very best and a quick recovery. Thank you, Senator, for all the work and unending loyalty you have given to the US and the american people. But no matter what, do not fear, the dream shall never die.

Posted by: Sharon Solomon | May 20, 2008 8:19 PM | Report abuse

I once had the priviledge of hearing Senator Kennedy speak on healthcare policy at a conference on Capitol Hill. He walked to the podium, spoke flawlessly on a highly technical medical subject for 30 minutes. The audience was a seasoned group of healthcare professional and you could hear a pin drop. I shall never forget it!
I will offer prayers for the Senator and his family and know that those taking care of him will now give him the very best care they have to offer.

Posted by: sginva | May 20, 2008 9:44 PM | Report abuse

To the individuals who are so ignorant as to state that Kennedy has done nothing in the Senate, here is quote from another story in WAPO on the terrible news:

"Sen. John McCain (Ariz.), the presumptive Republican presidential nominee, said that "our thoughts and prayers go out to Senator Kennedy and his family. We hope and pray his doctors will be able to effectively treat his condition and that he will experience a full recovery.

"I have described Ted Kennedy as the last lion in the Senate," McCain added, "and I have held that view because he remains the single most effective member of the Senate."

Were you able to read all that? If you could not, will restate:

McCain said Ted Kennedy is the single most efective member of the Senate.

Posted by: fedup1 | May 20, 2008 10:07 PM | Report abuse

Well I guess Ted Kennedy has given all the haters another day
of hate--mayber their wives and kids won't feel their sting today.
He has become a great senator, even if you disagree with him--45 years of hard work
I pray for him

Posted by: adirondacker | May 20, 2008 10:36 PM | Report abuse

While Teddy lies, trapped in his own skull, with painful death creeping inexorably nearer, one can only hope that the image of Mary Jo Kopechne haunts him without respite, whom he left, trapped in a car and under water, to await her own, painful death.

It's enough to make an atheist wonder if there really is a God, after all.

Posted by: Enoch Wisner | May 21, 2008 9:16 AM | Report abuse

Did the Washington Post not screen these profane posts of hate!

"We encourage users to analyze, comment on and even challenge washingtonpost.com's articles, blogs, reviews and multimedia features.

User reviews and comments that include profanity or personal attacks or other inappropriate comments or material will be removed from the site. Additionally, entries that are unsigned or contain "signatures" by someone other than the actual author will be removed. Finally, we will take steps to block users who violate any of our posting standards, terms of use or privacy policies or any other policies governing this site. Please review the full rules governing commentaries and discussions."

It is one thing to have distaste for a person's mistakes and another to think one perfect and put your hate on the rest of us God fearing and loving people. You may call us liberals, but you sound like hate filled people who could care less about the disabled (like my son with Angelman Syndrome). I have the deepest regard for the Ted Kennedy. Obviously you don't watch C-Span and the good works of Senator Kennedy in his bipartisan support.
Senator Kennedy, Godspeed with your recovery.

Posted by: Deb | May 21, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

Anyone who would use this page to disparage the greatest senator of all time, needs to look up rather than down upon this caring man. He would defend your right to put him down as would I, but I am a bit amazed at the time you have chosen to do so. All of the children of Rose and Joe Kennedy, their grandchildren and their great grandchildren have given so much to our country. My heartfelt best wishes go out to this American hero and his family. Senator Ted Kennedy has fought for and represented the middle-class and the poor for decades. Long live him and may he and his legacy thereafter, help to bring America back to sanity.

Posted by: Marg King | May 21, 2008 4:06 PM | Report abuse