Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 06/21/2006

Tom and Nicole, Together Again...

By Liz Kelly

...here in today's edition of Celebritology, that is. Made ya look!

Anyone want to bet on how long it will take this note to turn up on eBay? (Reuters)

Nicole Plies Paparazzi with Beer
The "Smart Celebrity of the Week" award goes to one Nicole Kidman, who yesterday sent a case of beer out to the sweaty horde of photographers camped outside her Sydney home. With her wedding to country crooner (and fellow Aussie) Keith Urban rumored to be coming up this weekend, she may have just ensured that her wedding day (or night) will be free of gate-crashing lensmen or circling helicopters.

See, because all the paparazzi needed to tame their invasive ways was to be treated like fellow human beings, to be given even an ounce of human kindness, to be accorded the dignity and respect they have so long lacked. They have feelings, too. And of course they'll now play by Nicole's rules because she has wisely reached out to them and soon they will be her avenging army and defend her as she plots world domination. I'm getting carried away.

Seriously, though, if she keeps it up maybe they'll be too drunk to snap in-focus pix.

Tom Cruise, the man with a fertile imagination. (AP)

Tom Wants a Perfect 10
Speaking of world domination and avenging armies, Tom Cruise has plans for his own. In a Father's Day interview he said, ""I always wanted to be a father. I remember my whole life, I wanted to be a father. So I'm hoping maybe I have 10 children."

And that's why Tom gets the "Stupid Celebrity of the Week" award. Why stupid? Because, duh, "Eight is Enough" and kids are "Cheaper By the Dozen." Okay, now I'm stupid.

Seriously, though, I doubt Katie Holmes would be onboard for nine additional pregnancies. Especially considering the hype and gossip surrounding the first one (of whom we have yet to see a picture. Ahem). And a hefty pre-nup only makes it easier to make the decision. So, Tom, keep flapping those gums and next time you're asked, remember it isn't you who has the children.

By Liz Kelly  | June 21, 2006; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Namibian Group Criticizes Brangelina
Next: Morning Mix: Splitsville for Timberlake and Diaz?

Comments

Um, is he trying to say that he wasn't a father before baby Tomkat? Because he has two adopted kids. Idiot.

Of course, having more children is hardly up to Katie... oops - KATE, I mean. She's not even allowed to choose her own name or religion.

Posted by: ugh. | June 21, 2006 10:56 AM | Report abuse

That was my thought exactly. Doesn't he already have two children? I guess Katie gets a break and only has to have 7 more....

Posted by: MegTX | June 21, 2006 11:16 AM | Report abuse

I don't think Suri even exists. I watched some parts of that interview, and whenever someone mentions Suri, Tom has this wierd reaction that just looks like he's lieing.

Posted by: pete | June 21, 2006 12:02 PM | Report abuse

Tom Cruise said he wants 10 kids. The WRITER said that he would have to have 9 more. Tom isn't the one who discounted the two children he has with Nicole Kidman, the writer is. (although I hate to cut Cruise a break on anyhting)

Posted by: TC | June 21, 2006 12:16 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, c'mon Liz ... you apologized last week for constantly differentiating between celebrities adopted kids and those birthed by partners, but this week you forget that Tom already HAS two kids with Nicole?
I'm just sayin'...

Posted by: Ugh | June 21, 2006 12:54 PM | Report abuse

now if i only knew what kind of beer (tooheys or carlton?) nicole and keith sent out i'd be way more impressed... but i'll be in line to see her next flick!

Posted by: sb | June 21, 2006 1:15 PM | Report abuse

the beer was VB - victoria bitter. good, but i'd choose a tooheys new or james boag myself.

Posted by: chrine | June 21, 2006 1:44 PM | Report abuse

It is pretty strange that there have been NO pictures of the baby, not even pictures of them with the baby and the baby covered up. All of my new-mom friends and the celebrity moms have to leave the house to go to the doctor since the baby has to go like every week or something. We've seen all the other pics of babies covered up on their way to the doctor, but not of this one. Super fishy.

Posted by: ml | June 21, 2006 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Liz - PLEASE tell me you failed math in school? BEcause I would SO prefer that than to believe you AGAIN discounted the TWO CHILDREN Tom already had before Suri in your estimation of Katie's ability to have "9" more pregnancies?
I'm really starting to see why my adoptive mommy friends are so bitter - I just started on my adoption and I'm starting to get bitter too...

Posted by: Alison | June 21, 2006 4:30 PM | Report abuse

I agree with Pete and ml - it IS strange for TC. It would be very sad indeed if little Suri didn't somehow live up to her Papa's expectations. I can imagine the unexpected would be very difficult for him.

Posted by: Tracy | June 21, 2006 6:32 PM | Report abuse

Hey, Liz -- Nicole & Keith are in Oz; the paparazzi aren't sweaty, they're freezing their arses off! But a cold beer is a good thing any time of year...

Posted by: brucie | June 22, 2006 12:17 AM | Report abuse

I think Tom's own words are dismissive of his two older children. If the quote is accurate, he seemed to be saying that he'd just gotten what he always wanted and was looking forward to more.

He didn't, after all, say, "I've always loved being a father. It's a thrill to have a new baby, and I hope to have more."

Face it, Tom Cruise is, at best, a goofball and, at worst, a self-absorbed jerk who can't seem to get next to the idea of being more than forty years old.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 22, 2006 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Tom, makes an complete ass out of him self again. Hay PR specialist, but I say the more he speaks the more he across as a real idiot. :)

Posted by: Louis Aguilar | June 22, 2006 8:18 PM | Report abuse