Posted at 10:44 AM ET, 10/12/2006

'Lost': Episode 2 Dueling Analyses

By Liz Kelly

Last night after the show ended, washingtonpost.com movies editor Jen Chaney and I talked "Lost." How did the Red Sox, Aldous Huxley and teen angst figure in last night's episode? Read on...

Dude, long time no see. (AP)

SPOILER ALERT!

LIZ: Some juicy new information to process. Not surprisingly, most of it came in the last five minutes when Ben told Jack he'd lived his entire life on the island, proved they had some knowledge of the outside world and asked for Jack's cooperation in a yet-to-be-revealed way.

We also had the short exchange between Kate and Rousseau's daughter, who seemed to be interested in the whereabouts of the previous occupant of Kate's cage -- who many last week suspected was an Other playing the role of a prisoner. Now it seems he may have been a bona fide prisoner named "Carl." The nicest touch in their exchange, though, was Rousseau's daughter's teenage snit about Kate wearing her dress.

JEN: I think I speak for everyone in America when I say, "I miss Hurley." But clearly he and his dude-isms will be back next week.

My favorite moment of tonight's episode had to be the Boston Red Sox joke. I enjoyed the flashback to 2004 -- man, seems like it was just yesterday -- but the fact that Jack could not fathom the Sox winning the Series was just priceless.

As you say, it raises an important question: How come the Others seem to have contact with the outside world? And here's another: Can we assume Juliet held Benjamin Linus/Ben Gale/the freak formerly known as Fake Henry Gale hostage at some point? Early in the ep, he said "You never made soup for me." What's that about?

LIZ: I am totally on the same page as you re: Juliet holding Ben Whathizname at some point -- unless he equates a possible past romantic relationship with imprisonment. Though, since he said he lived his entire life on the island, it does make me wonder if he once dissented from whatever the overarching mission of the Others is.

Also, did you happen to catch the sign on the dock? It was two words, the second of which was "Ferry" -- which raises some interesting questions. Was there once a regular water taxi to somewhere else on the island?

JEN: I did catch the ferry sign. It said Pala Ferry. Through the wonders of Google (what, you expected me to do legit research?) I have happened upon a Wikipedia entry for Pala. Among other things, it says that Pala is the name of a fictional island in Aldous Huxley's novel "Island." The "Lost" writers do love their literary references. That suggests to me that maybe The Others (or someone else) wanted the island's inhabitants to think they could take a ferry somewhere when, in fact, there was no real destination.

(Wikipedia also lists a California town named Pala. It's near San Diego. This could put a whole new spin on the whereabouts of the island. Also, thanks to an anonymous commenter for pointing out this Lostpedia entry about the Pala Ferry. -- Liz)

LIZ: Egads, was "Deadwood's" Paula Malcomson (Colleen) introduced only to die after one episode? I kept expecting her to curse a blue streak and pick tobacco off her tongue. I suppose getting gutshot is some kind of karmic balance for doing the same to George Hearst on "Deadwood."

JEN: I don't know, I'm not sure Colleen is dead yet. Didn't Sun just shoot her in the leg?

Now, let's talk tazers...

LIZ: Tazers or Sawyer's unfortunate habit of getting tazed?

I can't help thinking that the ridiculously trite "breaking rocks in the hot sun" is just another experiment or shortcut to breaking the will of both Sawyer and Kate. Ironic, isn't it, that Kate asks about Jack and Sawyer is the one who ends up getting tazed? I'm sure he'll thank Jack later.

Oh, also, flashback question of the night. Do you think Jin knows that Jai was Sun's lover? He does say something about "if I find out you've had contact, I'll kill you" and so on and so forth. It would somewhat explain his tendency to continually resort to jealousy and bossiness.

JEN: Let me address Sawyer first, then I'll respond to the Jin/Sun issue.

First, to paraphrase Tom Waits, what the hell are those Others building out there? An annex to Eko's church? An Ann Taylor Loft so they can sell more of the cute dresses they stole from Rousseau's daughter? I'm with you, I tend to think they're not doing anything, it's an experiment of some kind.

I also found it odd that when Sawyer tazed the one Other, nothing happened. He explained it away by saying it had a safety, but the expression on both of their faces indicated something else. I'm not saying The Others are aliens or something cockamamie, but I'm not sure they're 100 percent human or have 100 percent human body parts.

As to your other question, I think Jin may know Jai was Sun's lover. But I have no doubt that Jai is the father of that baby. The title of the episode "The Glass Ballerina," refers to Sun's dishonesty as a young child. But is she the only one hiding something?

LIZ: Interesting. I'd momentarily blocked the idea of them being ETs. Which would explain the unfazed tazed Other and, possibly, the elusive black smoke we haven't seen since Charlie took Eko to the plane. Sniff. I miss Eko.

JEN: Also, are Jin and Sayid mental morons? Why would they send Sun back to the boat alone? Have they not seen a single horror movie? This seemed especially stupid in Jin's case, since he was on a boat not long ago that was seized by The Others.

LIZ: Right you are, re: Jin and Sayid. I suppose they were so blinded by their desire to protect the little woman that they threw her right into harm's way. By the way, why do you think the Others were so intent on getting the boat? To keep the Losties there, to replace the one they gave to Michael and Walt or to further fulfill their grabby, controlling M.O.?

JEN: The Others as a group weren't so intent, it was Ben Linus (almost sounds like Ben Lies, doesn't it?) who really wanted the boat.

Either he intends to let Jack sail back home, to that beautiful place where the Red Sox can actually win a World Series, or he wants Jack to think he can sail home. That's my thought. After all, the guy did stick Michael and Walt on a boat. (I suspect they hit a wall just like Truman in "The Truman Show").

This is pretty obvious, but I'm also not convinced Ben/The Others are the bad guys. He's said so before, and Colleen repeated that tonight. I believe there's a force at work that's using the people we call The Others in an experiment we haven't even considered. You know, just because our brains aren't hurting enough trying to figure out all of this.

LIZ: On a lighter note: Is (practically) everyone in this show required to have ridiculous abs? Tonight we got a look at Jai's. Oh, and Colleen's courtesy of the standard island-issue low riders.

On a darker note: This article claims the grim reaper will be paying a visit to the island sometime soon. If a regular Lostie is destined to bite it, who is most expendable after Claire and Boone? Or, rather, who might have a budding film career (Matthew Fox)?

JEN: There are some exceptions to the abs rule, dear Hurley being one. But you're definitely right, the women -- with the exception, I suppose, of Rose -- are in remarkably fine shape given the circumstances.

I was just thinking today about who might get killed off next, and I was thinking it might be someone major. Boone was hot, but expendable. Same goes for Shannon, Libby and the most hated "Lost" character ever, Ana Lucia. It could be Jack. I don't think it will be Sawyer, mainly because Holloway is talking about it to the press -- I smell a decoy. Sayid or perhaps Locke might be candidates, much as I hate to say it.

LIZ: Hey, I liked Ana Lucia. I realize I'm in the minority. I'm all for women who kick a--, though I'll admit she had some issues -- on screen and off.

Re: who might exit next. My money is on Locke or Charlie. Unless something changes in next week's episode, Locke's purpose -- in the hatch and on the show -- seems to be gone. As for Charlie, he's proven himself to be a vindictive liar -- and the island doesn't seem to have much patience for those. Of course, there's always Desmond, who is exceedingly expendible at this point, brotha' -- err, I mean sista'.

JEN: Hmmm... I don't think Desmond, mainly because it wouldn't have a major narrative impact. And they need him to resolve this whole Penny Widmore issue, which is definitely left hanging.

I feel bad that I didn't come up with some stunning piece of info, like Juliet spelled backwards in Sanskrit actually means... Hanso! Actually, we should circulate that and see how many other "Lost" bloggers pick it up.

LIZ: Good idea. I say we couple it with a rumor that Josh Holloway has the major hots for a washingtonpost.com blogger (and I don't mean Chris Cillizza).

Till next week's episode, Further Instructions. ("The fates of Locke, Eko and Desmond are revealed after the implosion of the hatch.")
Here's a video tease, but beware, it contains some spoilers.

By Liz Kelly  | October 12, 2006; 10:44 AM ET
Categories:  Lost, TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Katie Holmes Says She Has Wedding Dress
Next: Morning Mix: Madonna Gains Custody of Malawi Boy

Comments

I'm reading the Ben/Juliet relationship as a failed marriage/relationship.

The soup comment could mean that she never made him soup when they were a couple. Plus there's the flashback from the first episode where we see that Julia chooses a book just to keep Ben out of the club.

Posted by: Buck Dharma | October 12, 2006 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Also, it is unlikely Jae is the father of Sun's unborn child. She would have to be 2 months alon assuming she and Jin hopped the plane to Sydney the day after Jae died.

Seeing how we've had a paralyzed man walk, and a woman with terminal cancer go into remission, Jin's boys learning to swim again doesn't seem unreasonable.

Posted by: Buck Dharma | October 12, 2006 11:03 AM | Report abuse

What do you guys make of the fact the Others have a file on Jack and seem to know quite a bit about each member (Sun's full name, Sawyer's full name...)

Also, do both of you scream in fury/frustration at the end of every episode? I do.

Posted by: Catharine | October 12, 2006 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Once again the Losties lost the yacht by attacking the Others with insufficient forces ( 3 people ? ) and insufficient arms and an insufficient add-hoc strategy thought up by Sayyed.
Lets hope Hurley has some sense-finds Sawyers arms stash and leads all of the Losties; except for a few camp guards on a Lostie rampage to burn down the Others fake village and then the Dock.
Perhaps that would call out the Others so that some of them could be taken prisoner. Otherwise the Dock should be torn up; so that the Losties can build a new raft to hunt for the others location ( which has to be near the island; if not a hatch underneath the Dock ).

Posted by: DrPhibes | October 12, 2006 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Catherine, I'm guessing that means there's some truth to the Others' claim that they have contact with the outside world.

And no screaming yet, but I am starting to get increasingly perturbed about some of the unanswered questions. For instance, what did the Others do when they had Walt? What has happened to Miss Clew -- the Other from the end of last season who seemed largely responsible for Walt? What was the monster/smoke thing that figured so prominently at the beginning of season 1 and why would it just suddenly stop terrorizing the Losties?

Posted by: Liz | October 12, 2006 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I'm getting tired of the writers trying to throw us off by beginning to paint the Others as good. They keep saying they are good, and Ben is now trying to convince Jack. Problem is that Ben reminds me eerily of O'Brien from 1984. As these writers are very familiar with Huxley's Brave New World, I'm sure they are also familiar with O'Brien in Orwell's 1984. They couldn't have put a better face to the monster O'Brien, than the character of Ben, who lies with the best of them, but includes just enough truth to possibly change people.

The Others are not good, not matter if they say they are. Good people do not kill others for no reason, as the Others have done. Good people do not steal people in the middle of the night, as the Others have done. And if the writers of the show end up really portraying the Others as good, well, then they lost me as a fan.

Posted by: Dan | October 12, 2006 11:15 AM | Report abuse

Oh, and what's up with the fake beards? Any understanding yet why they had to go around with fake beards during seasons 1 and 2?

Posted by: Dan | October 12, 2006 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Where does all of the fuel come from? When then Others took the sailboat last night, that wasn't the wind making it go. Same for the boat that Zeke used to talk Walt -- the same boat that was later given to Michael and Walt. Sayyid is bound to be thinking along the same lines. The Others have a depot somewhere. When Sayyid gets his hands on a couple hundred gallons of the stuff, he ain't going to be worrying about fuel economy.

Posted by: Jeff | October 12, 2006 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Re. The Others as Good: In an off-season interview, Abrams and Lindeloff said, "Ask yourselves this: Who has killed more people -- the Others or the Losties?"

Posted by: D.C. | October 12, 2006 11:25 AM | Report abuse

RE: Others as good
Who has taken a child from its mother? Who has taken a son from a father? Who has used the son to turn the father into a murderer? Who has superior information and is witholding it? Who has used deception to infiltrate and sow discord? Who is enaged in an effort to break the will of Jack, Kate and Sawyer? Enough of this "Others as good guys" nonsense.

Posted by: Jeff | October 12, 2006 11:34 AM | Report abuse

She killed her lover when her husband couldn't, (was she hiding in his home?)thus the shot of her pearl necklace in his hands when he landed on the top of the car - next scene she shoots the other on the boat. She'll end up being the cold blooded killer on the show.

Posted by: BB | October 12, 2006 11:41 AM | Report abuse

My bizarre, way out there theory:

So what does that make the others. Well, they could be the St. Peter's of the island (this would explain how they know everything) or perhaps they are also trying to atone for their misdeeds by seeing those "evil" survivors punished.

As to why the kids are being kidnapped, to save their souls before they are corrupted by the survivors.

So what about when people die? well that's when they move on to heaven or hell.

Posted by: Buck Dharma | October 12, 2006 11:53 AM | Report abuse

RE: Juliette
The "you never made soup for me" line is interesting. Put that together with these observations by Sawyer: (1) Juliette would have killed Freckles, and (2) conversely the other others were freaked out by Sawyer. Makes me think that she's just as important and in charge of the others as Ben is.

Posted by: Christopher | October 12, 2006 12:07 PM | Report abuse

maybe the others know so much because they have just googled Team Lost?

Posted by: rob | October 12, 2006 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Watching "Lost" is so bittersweet. I enjoy the new twists and turns, but I hate that so many questions remain unanswered. Who are the "Others", why are they there and how'd they get there? Why did several of the Losties meet (unknowingly) prior to their crash and how did they all end up on the same plane? What's the monster? Polar Bears? Dharma/Hanso? Numbers? The list goes on. I realize the writers can't answer everything at once...but throw us a bone!!! The show is teetering on getting a little too complex, at least for my small brain.

Posted by: Dr. J | October 12, 2006 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I too am having trouble buying the Others as good. However, it wouldn't surprise me at all to find that they believe that what they are doing is good, and that their ends justify their means.

Buck Dharma -- pretty sure the producers have already publicly nixed the Purgatory theory.

Posted by: Eric | October 12, 2006 12:15 PM | Report abuse

Sun weighs 95 lbs. She could not chuck Jae off the balcony. I think Evil Dad didn't trust Jin to do it, so he did it himself or had another thug do it.

Posted by: Katie | October 12, 2006 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: will | October 12, 2006 12:29 PM | Report abuse

What do you think is the story with the other "Losties". Basically the extras in the show. The ones that don't have much of a role or ever say anything. Do you think they have the same type of backstory as the main characters?

Posted by: Dr. J | October 12, 2006 12:30 PM | Report abuse

I was thinking about Jin's death while shaving this morning. I know this show delivers a lot of twists, but don't you think Jin committed suicide simply because he couldn't bear to go away and be without Sun? That's why he was holding the pearls he had tried to give her, because they made him think of her and his love for her. (Clue me in please if there's some detail I'm missing.)

Posted by: William of Ockham | October 12, 2006 12:30 PM | Report abuse

JAE's death. My bad.

Posted by: William of Ockham | October 12, 2006 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Na, not purgatory. Remember the plane went through some field generated when Desmond failed to push the button in time. It broke the plane apart and caused the earthquake that the Other's felt while lounging in their comfy quarters. Seeing the plane coming down startled the Others, who quickly planned to infiltrate the groups of survivors. I found that quite startling. If I was outside with some people and saw a plane coming down I'd talk about rescue. It seems obvious the Other's have a lot to hide and even a plane crash does not cause them concern for other people's lives. Manipulating the Losties is maybe one way to keep it hidden. One thing is clear to me, they are annoyed these people came to their island and they have to deal with them. You can see it in their faces, sort of a 'I hate this job but I got to do it' kind of expression.

As for the good/bad idea, I vote for good. The kind of good done when whole towns were blown up in WW2 to destroy occupying Germans but knowing that innocent civilians would also be killed. I'm leaning toward this island and its technology either is used to maintain some sort of peace, politically, ecologically or by other means, or it is a potential weapon who the Other's have taken away from its original owner, Mr. Hanso, and are protecting it.

Anyone have a clue as to why a zoo would be on the island? A zoo which was designed to test, encourage or foster intelligence in animals. Remember, it only took the bears two hours to learn how to get the fish cakes Sawyer took a lot more time to figure out. Why bears? They are not that intelligent and are very hard to handle/feed. They also had dolphins, more intelligent. But why work on animal intelligence? And why is it no longer being done. Seems it was done a long time ago. At least we now know where that polar bear came from last season.

Posted by: Sully | October 12, 2006 12:35 PM | Report abuse

I have to say I'm getting really tired of all the mystery in a mystery stuff. Ok, so a few questions were half-answered last night (thankfully, or I would have immediately begun losing interest) but it's too confusing now. It's a TV show - I don't want to have to think that much about it, remember too many seemingly insignificant details (like who said what to who and random comments here and there) and try to keep everything together. I'm really hoping they start answering some questions... really answering them, or else this fan may be lost.

Posted by: Lisa | October 12, 2006 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Lisa | October 12, 2006 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I'm thinking it may have a "Village" imprint where they got tired of the world and decided to reinvent one. Thats why they do not want the "lost crew" to escape the island.

Posted by: Shahid | October 12, 2006 12:37 PM | Report abuse

I love Lost and hope the Grim Reaper doesn't come too soon! While reading the article Liz suggested at www.BuddyTV.com I also came across a Heroes spoiler...don't know if I want all my shows SPOILED!!

Posted by: Susie in LA | October 12, 2006 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Jack is a Yankees fan. He was completely stunned by Ben revealing to him that the Yankees did the biggest choke in sports history.

Posted by: The Good Empire | October 12, 2006 12:47 PM | Report abuse

As to the observations about so many obscurities, it is like updated Twin Peaks. As I think Diane Sawyer once said, if I have to feel stupid, I'll watch Jeopardy.
I do like the idea of all the Losties actually being dead, and this is the afterlife.

Posted by: John D. | October 12, 2006 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Lisa, I agree. I don't want to have to research a dozen websites after I watch an episode to figure out which questions were just answered, if any.
I wonder if the writers considered that the complexity could keep new veiwers from staying with it, especially if they missed season 1 or 2 or both.

Posted by: Dr. J | October 12, 2006 1:03 PM | Report abuse

maybe the Others were the ones kept in the cages and they managed to overcome their captors. maybe they are shapeshifters, and can go from animal to human. Hence the polar bear, the black smoke....

Posted by: b | October 12, 2006 1:10 PM | Report abuse

If you won't want to have to think while watching a TV show, quit watching Lost and go find some reruns of Walker Texas Ranger or 7th Heaven. Nice and simple plots for simple minds.

Posted by: LostFan | October 12, 2006 1:19 PM | Report abuse

i don't think that polar bear escaped from the others - i think that polar bear was "conjured" by walt- he was just looking at that spanish comic book that had a polar bear in it before the bear showed up. remember in australia w/ his mom when he was doing that project on birds? he was frustrated about not getting her attention and then that bird was flung against their glass door. walt definitely has some "abilities" - connected somehow to astral projection- remember when shannon would see him? walt is definitely not gone

Posted by: elkton | October 12, 2006 1:21 PM | Report abuse

I'll be curious to see if they continue to connect the characters. So far we have a majority connected to Jack. Sawyer and Ana Lucia through his father. Libby through Desmond and Hurley through Libby. Kate is also connected to Sayid through her father. That leaves Claire, Charlie, Eko, Locke, Kate, and Sun and Jin unconnected to Jack. Though one could postulate that Claire is Jack's half-sister that his father went to go see. I could also envision a connection between Locke's father and Sawyer (both con-men, it seems) and there's also the matter of Jack's time in Thailand and Sawyer's instant recognition of Phuket.

As far as the ferry goes, it was mentioned in the training video for the Pearl. They would spend their 8 weeks then return to the ferry.

I'm also curious about where they are holding the people from the crash. From the brief scene of their town you see in the first episode they don't appear to be near the water. It does not appear to be the same as where they are holding Jack, Sawyer, and Kate.

Posted by: kawaru | October 12, 2006 1:22 PM | Report abuse

What is real? What is fake?
1. The plane crash is real and not some staged trama forced by old-dharma-others in order to do some experiment. Thus..
1b. The Island is real. It heals and changes people>>mystery, the Losties crashed on it, and Juliet admitted that she was a Dharma-ite.."that was a long time ago..."
2. Can you leave the island? Not sure. Desmond came back unwillingly. Is it a Truman box? I doubt it, but something seems to keep people there! The others may have access to the outside, but that does not mean they can leave. However, the dharma food drop would suggest people know where they are, and confirm Ben;s claim to be able to leave. Let's see if Michael get "lost" again. Also, where does the fresh gasoline come from for Michael's boat and Desmonds? D's gas would have become gummy after three years, unless Kelvin had a stash of fuel additive!
3. Why Jack, Sawyer, and Kate? The good guys? If you think about it, these three are likely the WORST offender of the Losties. We still have not seen the depts of Jack's sin. Where id the tatoo come from? Maybe the other's think they are good, compared to them. Henry had no issue with Anna's death - she killed Goodwin, and Coleen warned Sun that she would be on the black list if she fired. I think Ben has a nasty love-triangle experiment where Jack and Sawyer fight to the death...for Kate!
4. Truth...Others are not all knowing/seeing. They did not know about Desmond and his boat...probably did not know about Kelvin either.
5. What is not clear is whether the mysterious power of the island is seperate from the Others, or controlled by them? Is the black smoke/moster a high tech deterrent, created by Dharma, known and used by the Others, or is it supernatural? Are all the preminitions, and visions from the island? (Jack's dad, Eko and the ? room, Locke, etc.) Also, the island seems to want people to have faith. Eko was sent to "save" Locke.

All this will likley be turned upside down somewhere down the line.
6. Ben and Juliet were once a thing... I don't think she is in charge due to the muffin mess in S3E1.
7. The kids. Protected or abused? Walt seemd fine, but bored of questions.

Posted by: Dan | October 12, 2006 1:40 PM | Report abuse

I like the show, but it's wearing on me. I don't see a payoff here. Just more questions each episodes, and a plot that seems like it's going nowhere right now.

Posted by: Put Me In Your Pocket | October 12, 2006 1:45 PM | Report abuse

"On a lighter note: Is (practically) everyone in this show required to have ridiculous abs? Tonight we got a look at Jai's. Oh, and Colleen's courtesy of the standard island-issue low riders."

No - Hurley. And when is he going to lose some weight? He's on an island and although it's apparent that there's food, it can't be as much as he was used to back in "civilization." Also, he hasn't been a couch potato running around the island, so he's obviously burning calories. What's up?

Posted by: LA | October 12, 2006 1:46 PM | Report abuse

ALSO: As a fan of the late, lamented, brilliant "Deadwood," how happy I was to see Trixie (Paula Malcomson) show up as an Other last night!
Only to see her get gut-shot by Sun 10 minutes later.
Ah, fame.

Posted by: D.C. | October 12, 2006 1:55 PM | Report abuse

1.) As for Jin/Jae/Sun... I think the big tension we will see between Jin & Sun is that she has believed all this time that Jin killed Jae even though he actually didn't.

2.) As for Good/Bad... I think its as simple as they really believe that the end justifies the means but the Losties will disagree.

3.) This second point will end up tying to Penny Widmore. She somehow knows either about the Island or The Others or Hanso or the technology or whatever and also somehow knows Desmond got caught up in it. She is looking for Desmond/the Island and knew that sooner or later something would happen to make the reactor thing go off and give away the location. Perhaps Ben knows/suspects this and is looking to shut down her little operation before its too late.

Who knows.

Posted by: Joe | October 12, 2006 2:00 PM | Report abuse

The orientation video that Eko and Locke saw in the Pearl Station (2nd Season) mentioned the Pala Ferry. That is probably what the sign at the dock says.

Posted by: John S | October 12, 2006 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Here's my theory: the Others are running a selective breeding program, possibly to produce a child with some kind of special powers.

They drew blood samples from Jack, Kate, and Sawyer at the time they were captured, and decided based on DNA analysis that Sawyer was the best fit for Kate. They are trying to resolve the love triangle in Sawyer's favor. The whole rock-breaking thing is an effort to throw Kate and Sawyer together and make them dependent on each other, and so far it's working.

When the time comes, Jack will be asked to do something to make it easy for Kate to let go of him; for example, Kate will be allowed to see Jack and Juliette in a compromising position. Kate and Sawyer will then be allowed to "escape" so that they can go off on their own and create a super-baby. At least that is what the Others have in mind, but maybe our dynamic trio can find a way to outsmart them.

And yes, count me in as another fan who is going to walk if the Others turn out to be the good guys. This show has spent too much time making us hate the Others, and we have been waiting way too long for our revenge. If the producers do an about face on this, it will be worse than if they had killed Jack off halfway through the pilot, and they will lose at least this viewer for sure...

Steve

Posted by: Steve | October 12, 2006 2:06 PM | Report abuse

"I guess I missed this but how do you know the girl who appeared to Kate is Rousseau's daughter?"

Her name is Alex, which is the daughter's name. She helped Claire escape last season.

Posted by: loser | October 12, 2006 2:26 PM | Report abuse

Here's what I'm sick of - all the commercials! It's like I'm watching an hour long commercial interrupted by Lost. I'd bet money it's more commercial minutes per hour than any other time slot they have.

Posted by: Janet | October 12, 2006 2:41 PM | Report abuse

I have to admit, in the middle of last season I was starting to think they were just gonna drag out the show as long as possible and then never really resolve any issues or haunting questions in any manner. But the season finale completely got me back into this show with the same passion I had for it during the first season.

I think Locke is gonna go next week. He regains his faith (and possibly saves his soul) just before he dies trying to save Charlie or Ecko

Posted by: best show ever | October 12, 2006 2:45 PM | Report abuse

The whole Jin/Sun/Jae thing:

- Sun didn't know the person that Jin had to 'give a message' to. They had a fight and then he left Sun in their apartment
- Oh course, Jin wasn't going to kill Jae and he just roughed him up and told him to get out of town. I don't think he would have killed him, but he did know how to lock and load that gun, for real.
- I think Jae thought that Jin knew about him and Sun and that's why he jumped out the window (with the pearls). But Jin doesn't know because when Sun is at the funeral, she asks her dad if he told Jin and he said that she should do it herself.

What was really wild about this episode was that you saw Sun's devotion to Jin. I wonder if it was because Jae killed himself (which I really think he did, because he told Sun that he didn't want to 'share' her anymore) or the fact that her father knew everything... well, does he know everything .... did he know that Sun was planning on running away (if you remember the first Sun/Jin flashback)?

Aieee... my head hurts...

Posted by: j. dub! | October 12, 2006 3:05 PM | Report abuse

Re: the Pala Ferry:

(Yes, there's a Lospedia.)

Posted by: anon | October 12, 2006 3:18 PM | Report abuse

I'm with you on the commercials. This is especially painful since I watched the first two seasons on commercial-free DVD.

Has anyone watched online yet? Is the online version commercial free?

Posted by: Liz | October 12, 2006 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Thanks anon, I'm going to update the main post with that Lostpedia reference.

Posted by: Liz | October 12, 2006 3:22 PM | Report abuse

Ana Lucia was a fascist cop who abused her badge and public trust, lied to her fellow cops, murdered a perp, murdered Others and Losties. What trait again was there to like?

Posted by: Bethesdan | October 12, 2006 3:38 PM | Report abuse

I think the creators of Lost have had us fall in love with the "beautiful" survivors of the crash, but we all seem to ignore the fact that at least Sawyer, Kate, Sayid, and Jin are definitely murderers (or at least torturers) (Anna Lucia was as well); Charlie was a drug addict, and Locke's story is perhaps still to be told. (Hurley doesn't appear to be a premeditated killer, but death has surrounded him). Michael was perhaps the only one who was not a killer, until he got to the island! Eco I think was also probably at least a killer if not a murderer. So while this may not be purgatory, perhaps it is a "reform school", using behavioral conditioning to try to "redeem" these "lost" souls.

Posted by: Lindy48 | October 12, 2006 3:52 PM | Report abuse

It seems to me that a lot of the confusion in the show results from the fact that the writers changed their minds in midstream about where the story was heading. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the "mysteries" of the show are never explained (for instance, Walt's special abilities or the interconnectedness of the losties--they may just never mention these things again).

It seems like the series started with a serious metaphysical/spiritual angle. Walt was summoning polar bears, there was an invisible smoke monster, losties were having visions, etc.

Somewhere along the line, though, it appears that the writers/producers decided the show would be more popular if they dropped the metaphysical mumbo-jumbo and focused on action. They'll be forced to at least attempt to resolve some of the mystical stuff due to fan outcry, but I imagine that some of it will just be left hanging.

...and as much as I love this show, that's the main problem I have with it. Many of the "red herrings" seem to be plot lines that were abandoned, as opposed to conscious decisions to weave a rich and exciting mystery. The result is that a lot of the time and effort spent trying to figure this stuff out is wasted, because whatever meaning that may have been intended for half this stuff became irrelevant about half-way through Season 2. That's the way it seems to me, at least.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 12, 2006 3:52 PM | Report abuse

As anyone who reads Lisa deM and her weekly chats, 'Lost' will not kill anyone until the sweeps arrive.

I can see Charlie getting it, as the others who have died have all been a little irritating, a little needy/whiny. I'll except Libby from this, but there was the image of her in the mental institution that was left irritatingly unresolved.

It's been a slower slog than expected this year. Between the commercials and the flashbacks (no more Jack-backs!), the acutal plot has only moved forward a little in the first two episodes.

Posted by: Bill | October 12, 2006 3:59 PM | Report abuse

I agree that there are far too many clues that have been left unanswered. Remember way back in the beginning when Jack found his dad's casket but the body was gone, and then he kept seeing his dad on the island? The polar bears, the "Black Rock", Eko's brother's plane that crashed on this same island? The weird map on the wall of the hatch when Locke got his leg trapped under the door? It used to seem like everything was eventually going to fit together. Now I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up like "I am the Walrus", where in the end the writers explain the whole show as nonsense, designed to try to trick viewers into finding meaning where there is none.

Remember how the Others kidnapped all the children in first season? Does that mean they might still be around somewhere, perhaps undergoing tests like Walt did?

I would enjoy this show a lot more if some of those old questions were answered. Of course I will continue to watch, but I am getting frustrated with the "big picture" plot never making any progress.

Posted by: Regan | October 12, 2006 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Anyone know where I can get a transcript of the show? Or the last couple minutes? Darn Tivo. Programs are now setting it to start early (Project Runsay was recorded for 1 hour 3 minutes!) in order to screw up DVR machines and I missed the very last bit. It makes me very mad.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 12, 2006 4:33 PM | Report abuse

About Hurley's weight: In last night's episode, we learned they've been on the island only 69 days since the crash. It hasn't been the two years that have elapsed in real time. Expecting anyone to lose hundreds of pounds in 10 weeks is a bit much, really. When you consider the fact that the actor has lost over 60 pounds since the series began, the character's weigth seems pretty good already.

Posted by: Tim | October 12, 2006 4:37 PM | Report abuse

re: transcripts...

Posted by: ronk | October 12, 2006 4:47 PM | Report abuse

I'm inclined to agree with Lindy 48. All of the characters include murderers, scam artists, thieves, torturers, a drug addict, several mentally ill, a mother of an illegitimate child, a drug runner, et al. They are "lost" souls if you will. I know that the producers have categorically denied that the island is purgatory, but that doesn't mean there is some non-spiritual realm that requires people to change/reform.

Perhaps, for example, Jack's father's body ends up on the island and he is "born again" to learn something so he can move on.

I agree that commercials are ruining the show, but I'm not giving up yet. It's more fun than sudoku, chess, bridge, or other mind games we are encouraged to play.

Posted by: Carolyn Wolfe | October 12, 2006 5:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Scandibaby | October 12, 2006 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Even worse: it's all a dream, and we get Patrick Duffy in the shower again.

As for DVRs...get in the habit of taping 5 mins before and after for everything.

Posted by: Col. Angus | October 12, 2006 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Scandibaby | October 12, 2006 5:33 PM | Report abuse

Why did they decide it was OK to dock the boat while setting the trap? Sun could have easily dropped anchor several hundred feet from shore. Ridiculous.

Posted by: MV | October 12, 2006 5:33 PM | Report abuse

What promised to be tightly written mystery in season one has by the end of season two devoled into nonsense.

Here are the major problems:

1. After only one month,nobody wants to get rescued. There is no signal fire, no SOS of any sort on the beach. The Losties build a raft, which gets broken up and sent back. So, of course, they don't try again. After that, pretty much all serious efforts to get off the island stop.

2. The Losties are constantly under the threat of being kidnapped or killed by people indigenous to the island (the Others). The Talies were attacked the first night, losing two. A few nights later all the children were taken. In the main group Charlie and Claire were kidnapped for several days. Michael's raft was blown up and Walt kidnapped. Yet neither the Talies or the main group ever post guards at night. Jack's group finds an aresenal in the hatch, which they place under lock and key. You would think that people who have been shot at and kidnapped and under constant threat of attack would post guards with weapons. They might build some sort of guarded perimeter. But no, it's Club Med tents at the beach.

The Losties situation is the same as 17th c. English colonists in the Americas. They were always afraid of Indian attack, and in the case of Roanoke Island, they were justified in their fear. These people, living on the perimeter of a hostile wilderness, built forts, posted guards, and kept weapons at hand. Anybody with any sense would do the same. Locke's character, a man obsessed with military board games, hunting, and tracking, inexplicitly fails to suggest this.

3. Desmond's boat sails onto the horizon in season two, offering an immediate way to obtain rescue. So what do the Losties do. Do they place the group's best sailors on it to go and get help for the 40+ survivors? Maybe get some police to track down the others and get Walt back. No, Jack and Sayid decide that the best use of the boat is to sail it to the other side of the island to launch a one man commando asssult on the Others based on the info of a crazed Michael, a man they know is lying to them. All to rescue one person. Of course, the other 40 people also think this is a good idea.

I could go on. Initially this series was engaging because it had a realistic feel to it. These were real people confronted with bizarre problems, but they still tackled them like real people. Now any silly thought goes. Watching this series has made me realize why a well crafted novel like the Lord of the Flies endures and shoddy story telling does not.

Kill everyone, please.

Posted by: Joe Lost | October 12, 2006 5:35 PM | Report abuse

Season 3 has been extremely disappointing, but at least this episode had more substance than the premiere. My biggest complaint was that Sayid was completely out of character in this episode. Why would a military man leave his most important asset--the boat--completely unguarded? Why would he waste gasoline for building a fire when it is his only means of powering the boat? Why would he lie to Jin/Sun? Very lousy writing. Season 3 has been an extreme disappointment so far.

Posted by: Tirade | October 12, 2006 5:42 PM | Report abuse

The "Other" wasn't unaffected by the tazer. Sawyer said that it had a safety on it, and that's why it didn't work.

Posted by: Chris | October 12, 2006 5:45 PM | Report abuse

Geez Carolyn Wolfe, since when did having a child out of wedlock become as bad as murdering someone?!? Guess I should go turn myself in right now!

Posted by: unmarried piece of crap | October 12, 2006 7:44 PM | Report abuse

i just had an epiphany about this show:

THE OTHERS HAVEN'T KILLED ANYONE!!!!

it's the survivors that keep killing the others and eachother.

Posted by: dealer | October 12, 2006 8:42 PM | Report abuse

I love you people. Reading these blog comments has become my new favorite part of Thursday now that Tim Gunn's blogs are coming to an end. God bless you.

Posted by: KG | October 12, 2006 8:53 PM | Report abuse

"Everybody is already dead. This is actualy a form of Purgatory. The "survivors" are here as a way to either atone for the sins and be granted into heaven, or be sent to hell."

I think the writers have already specifically disavowed that, or a dream, etc.

Link

Posted by: parallelogram | October 13, 2006 2:28 AM | Report abuse

Dealer-

The Others have killed -- Goodwin killed one of the tailies (I can't recall his name, but Ana Lucia had imprisoned him, thinking he was an Other). And while Charlie, didn't die, Ethan came damned near close to killing him, and we have certainly been led to believe that Ethan or another Other killed one of our Losties after demanding that Charlie bring Claire to the designated spot (someone came from the water to kill a lostie). So I think your Epiphany ain't Gospel truth!

Posted by: Eric | October 13, 2006 8:43 AM | Report abuse

In addition, Henry Gale/Ben pretty much approved of Michael knocking off Anna and Libby. Again, their ends justify their means in their eyes - they still are the good guys!??!!

Everyone - answer this question - Is it possible to leave the island? Ben says you can leave, but never return. Should we take everything he says as the opposite truth? He seems to lie constantly to manipulate.

Posted by: Dan | October 13, 2006 9:30 AM | Report abuse

One thing that many people seem to agree on is that there may be a few too many twists and turns in this show to keep it appealing, especially for viewers who are trying to play catch-up. I'd just like to point out that, while this was the exact reason that some once-popular shows met an untimely cancellation (Twin Peaks), those shows were before our current google/lostpedia/blog-filled culture had come into play. The more complicated they make it, the more people are going to "talk" about it, thereby increasing viewership. I mean, have you seen how long this comment section is?!

How about this: the whole institution of Lost is a social experiment to see how long we'll watch, comment on, and stress over the show.

Posted by: amy | October 13, 2006 12:03 PM | Report abuse

elkton wrote:
--i don't think that polar bear escaped from the others - i think that polar bear was "conjured" by walt--

Sawyer's bullet brought down the polar bear. It did not disappear. It was real. I agree walt has abilities. The earlier shows implied ESP and other mental powers were being investigated in the Dharma Initiative and we all know the Others consider walt "special", yet they let him go. I think we'll be seeing walt and Michael before the end of this season...

But Here's my question: In the first episode of this season we saw the Others living normal lives. I thought it was a commercial until I recognized Ben sitting there in his comfy chair. It was obvious the Others were leading typical boring suburban lives. One was outside working on an air conditioner or something, indicating to me they had old technology just like in the bunker. Then the earthquake. They all knew what to do, no panic. Afterward they heard the plane and went outside, saw it going through --something, something that ripped it apart. It is clear to me that this was the time Desmond first failed to hit the button, sending the same noise and pulse that ended the last season. Desmond put 2+2 together and said that it might have been him not hitting the button that caused the plane to crash. We're they surprised at the plane ripping apart in midair? No.

Then what happened? Ben begins acting like a sargent and everyone stands at attention listening to him and taking orders. This is not what happens in the suburbs. He orders some to head for the survivors and orders Goodwin(?) to "become one of them". He nods and heads off evidently knowing what he has to do. This shows training, knowing your position in the heiarchy and purpose of duty. They acted like guards at a lonely border crossing, bored out of their minds but snapping into action when something is up.

I'm starting to believe the Others are guardians of some sort. Living boring lives while some sucker (visitor to the island) is pushing the button and saving the world every 108 minutes. When the button is not pushed or someone comes to the island, they jump into action, first making it appear they are also stranded (fake beards) and preventing anyone from leaving. They are the good guys only because they guard something so important to the world that it must be maintained and protected. Something that was created in the Dharma Initiative, and probably cannot be turned off and so must be maintained. Remember, the Others seem to have access to boats and communications with the outside world. So why do they stay, living there? They are guardians and what they guard is more important than a few lives.

Another aspect is why they cannot leave. You heard than Ben has lived his whole life on the island meaning he was born there, a child of the Dharma participants probably. We also know that there is some disease that caused them to kidnap the baby and innoculate it. Everything points to them being some sort of protectors of the world. Maybe we'll know more next week when we see the remains of the bunker and (hopefully) find Mr. Eko. Hopefully we'll also find Desmond.

Se ya in another life eh...

Posted by: Sully | October 13, 2006 1:01 PM | Report abuse

A disappointing espisode. It's very nearly become a soap opera, with the standard melodramatic pauses and long stares and pained looks. And at times, I thought I was watching "Planet of the Apes," what with the staring-at-each-other-through-the-cage-bars scene. Will tune in next week, but am rapidly losing interest.

Posted by: SAF | October 13, 2006 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Sully: don't forget the sharks when the guys were on the raft!! they had the Dharma logo on their tails...

Posted by: gp | October 13, 2006 2:23 PM | Report abuse

kawaru, don't forget claire is connected through mr. eko and the psychic!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | October 13, 2006 2:34 PM | Report abuse

my two thoughts...

first, why is everyone thinking there's going to be this huge struggle for kate's affection. up until know there's really only been sexual tension and nothing has really happened to make me think there's major emotional commitment on jack's part. kate and sawyer really seem to have the connection and the kate/jack option seems more distanced now. plus, jack seemed resigned at the end of S2 that kate and sawyer would end up together...

also, keep in mind that Alias was also a JJ Abrams show...and you know how twisted and convoluted it got!! my guess is that lost will suffer the same fate and in 2 years it will have lost most of its viewers. but that's not keeping me from watching since, in the end, it's entertainment.

by the way, i think a lot of the fun is trying to deciper the show. those of you who say you're soon to be lost viewers, if they tied up more stuff it wouldn't be as fun. there's nothing like frustration and then anxiously waiting for answers for entertainment. if a show can make you spend this much time writing, thinking, and discussing, then it's doing something right!! ;)

Posted by: gp | October 13, 2006 3:07 PM | Report abuse

sun should have immediately killed that lady on the boat with a shot to the chest and then without hesitation shot the guy who looked in the window.

Posted by: stan | October 13, 2006 10:29 PM | Report abuse

thanks eric. but we haven't actually seen them kill anyone.

Posted by: dealer | October 14, 2006 12:12 AM | Report abuse

reply to SAF:

but I really like "Planet of the Apes."

They are testing the survivors. After this episode I got the feeling that "The Others" may be really different from the rest of us. Ben has always lived on the island. They have television, but maybe they watch television and just take notes like observers. Even though Alex (the French Lady's daughter) has been with the others for a very long time, she is not "an other" since she has been secretly helping the survivors.

Where do "The Others" come from? How long have they really been on the island?

Posted by: Maurice | October 14, 2006 4:15 AM | Report abuse

dealer, we did see Goodwin snap that other guy's neck when he turned to run away...

Posted by: Anonymous | October 14, 2006 11:32 AM | Report abuse

Has anyone considered that Jin might actually be the father of Sun' unborn child? Has anyone ever read about the "healing power of mangos?"

;P

Posted by: ccchhhrrriiisssm | October 16, 2006 11:50 AM | Report abuse

If the Washington Post is going to have critcs comment on Lost, it might be helpful to have people who have actually watched the show from the beginning.

Pala Ferry? Welcome to last season...

Posted by: PhilB | October 16, 2006 12:05 PM | Report abuse

you said expendable like claire and boone but you meant shannon

Posted by: goof | October 16, 2006 12:18 PM | Report abuse

Maurice wrote:
--Where do "The Others" come from? How long have they really been on the island?--

Just to get it recorded in case I'm correct here is my favorite theory:
The Losties were sent to the island by former Dharma members who selected them. Its clear to me there are former Dharma members out in the real world. The guy in the psychiatric ward who gave Hurley the numbers, the doctor, the phychic. Lets call them OtherOthers just to give them a name. In my theory the Others won a conflict and kicked the OtherOthers off the island long ago and remain viligent of anyone who comes to the island. In my theory the OtherOthers are using the Losties to regain the island from the Others. As we know, the Losties are not angels. They are scam artists, murders, and generally untrustworthy, yet there are many personal connections. Perfect to drop onto an island to retake it from those on the island. Children are taken away by the Others to keep them out of the conflict that they expect with the Losties, who they suspect (know?) were sent there unknowingly to defeat the Others. Desmond and Russeau may have been earlier attempts to retake the island but were outnumbered and outsmarted. That would make Desmond an OtherOther. After all he had a boat the Others did not know about and turned the failsafe exposing the island and caused the plane to enter the island bringing the Losties.

And what has been the result? The Others are under attack. They are on the defensive. They spy on the Losties to learn more about them. If I were a Other, I'd say a lot has changed since the Losties arrived. The Others are playing games with the Losties to determine who can be trusted not knowing that there was a reason these people were selected to be there, or maybe they already know that. Anyway, I see a larger conflict going on, sort of a conflict of the gods moving greek heros around like Jason and the argonauts were toyed with by the gods, except these "gods" are the Others and OtherOthers, one good, one bad. I can see one group believed it had become gods as a result of Dharma, built statues to themselves and persecuted other members of the island leading to a revolt and one group was kicked off while the other claimed the island. Which is good and which is bad is not clear yet, but what is clear to me is that the Other's saying they are the "good guys" points to a previous conflict, and the treatment of the Losties is due to this past conflict and the suspiscion that the Losties were sent there, though unknowingly, to retake the island. The Losties are proxy warriors in a battle for the island and its powers.

I expect we will begin to see the OtherOthers this season more.

Posted by: Sully | October 17, 2006 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Sully -

Ok, so the otherothers actually CAUSED the plane to crash, knowingly, intentionally? Seems to me it was "the island" more than telekinetic brainwaves.

Your logic is correct, however, to assume there are otherothers who have battled Ben and Co. "ie. a third party". I suspect the corporate power connection of Desmond' girlfriend's dad (old what's his name) might be a more legit 3rd party. AND, I would say the mystery of the island is an independent, 4th party, and is the whole reason for the show - drama in a strange, dangerous place. When this is all over, I would not be surprised if the mystery of the island is left in tact, the the Losties, Others and #3 end up resolving the pecking order with a heroes' victory... but the secret and sequal remains with the island.

Posted by: dan r. | October 17, 2006 3:11 PM | Report abuse

--Ok, so the otherothers actually CAUSED the plane to crash, knowingly, intentionally?--

Yes but not through "brainwaves" but through Desmond who I believe to be an otherother (remember, his girlfriend knows how to find him which is itself interesting, I mean, she had people looking for the signal, the failsafe that Desmond just happened to push). He caused the plane to crash when he was delayed in pushing the button while fighting with Kelvin. Kelvin may have been involved too in some way to delay Desmond. Also, we cannot be sure Desmond lied about the circumstances of that day when he fought with Kelvin. In any case his "mistake" caused the plane to crash. He said so himself when he looked at the data in one of the bunkers which showed his slow response to pushing the button coincided with the plane coming down. Since not much is a coincidence in this show, I doubt that was either. Desmond's surprise and shock that he brought down the plane may be real and he is now drinking himself silly because he was fooled or forced into doing it but is still keeping the secret...maybe :^)

I also agree Desmond's girlfriend's dad is likely an otherother and she is totally aware of the island and Dharma. But I don't think there is a separate mystery to the island other than what was built there. The Other's obviously can control the island's technology but they do not seem to use much of it nor worry about maintaining it. Ben seemed to care little that Desmond used the failsafe. The zoo is empty of its animals. The bunkers found so far are empty. The Others were living comfortable lives before the crash, not in the bunkers but in comfy homes with book clubs and other aspects of a boring suburban life. Its likely they receive goods from airdrops, someone outside is maintaining their comfortable presense there.

Its seems obvious they are not working to maintain or use the power the island obviously holds. My guess is it was used against them or someone else in the past and they are protecting it from anyone finding it and using it, which would make them the good guys I guess.

As for the final ending, whenever it happens, I would guess it will lead to a conflict of the others vs the otherothers. The Losties will learn of the conflict and each side's goals and be forced to choose one side or the other, some going to one side (good) and some going to the other (evil). The current games the Others are playing with the Losties may be to figure out who will be their allies when the time comes and who will be their enemies. The "good" will win, whoever they are. Jack will be on the good side of course as will Mr. Eko and probably Claire. Not sure about the other Losties. Which will choose good or evil will probably take a whole season. After the battle, with "good" in charge, the island will once again go back to its former dormancy as it was before the crash, or be destroyed, but I am guessing the technology cannot be destroyed, thus the need to guard it for eternity, which makes the Others the good guys, guardians of the island, which some Losties will join.

Posted by: Sully | October 17, 2006 4:08 PM | Report abuse

--Also didn't Claire's phychic warn her not to fly? If he wanted her there, he would not have acted so concerned.--

Yea, maybe, or the psychic was having second thoughts about what was about to happen to her. There seems to be an underlying theme, that these poor people will have to endure their plight but the ends will justify the means. The latest example is Ben warning Kate at dinner on the beach that "the next two weeks will be difficult".

If you imagine that the Losties are there because of the OtherOthers and the Others are doing their best to manage their presence in such a sensitive place and probably knowing that the Losties would eventually attack them unless they could weed out the good from the bad, it all makes a lot of sense and is now my working theory. If the Losties defeat the Others, the OtherOthers will return and threaten humanity with the island's powers as they once did before. But hey, I could be completely wrong...

Posted by: Sully | October 17, 2006 4:22 PM | Report abuse

Sully,

After last night's episode with Desomond giving his "Locke will get them" slip, your theory sounds better every day. Does Desomond know more than we have seen, or is he an innocent castaway? If he is a shmuck, then wouldn't his flashback with Kelvin be a fake?

Also, someone please explain what FAIL SAFE means??? Was that key suppose to be a back-up safety to the computer, as I thougth? Or is FAIL SAFE meant to cause the emplosion? I missed this.

Posted by: DR | October 19, 2006 9:50 AM | Report abuse

The Fail-Safe did as it was supposed to do, it prevented something worse. The hatch imploded and people saw a flash of light but no destruction except the hatch. Evidently, if he hadn't turned the key a lot more would have happened. And they survived. Polar bears ... who'd a thought! Remember that the hatch had burn marks on nearby vegitation and the film talked about the "incident". This happened before at another hatch. Maybe the bears were taught to rescue people in the event of a failsafe. They would be one of the only animals strong enough to carry a human.

Yea, Desmond. I'm watching him. His stories are too convenient. I readlast season someone blog that his going from the US to the island's location is improbable in a yacht. Currents and wind directions at those latitudes would make it impossible just as Henry Gale's balloon could not make it. The real Henry is dead and Ben assumed his identity. I didn't pay much attention at the time but it is starting to fit. Desmond's an OtherOther. He is working against the Others and using the Losties against them in this Other-OtherOther battle I'm theorizing. Still don't know who the good guys are, but the Others are slowly revealing themselves while Desmond and those who are supporting the Losties in their battle are staying hidden or keeping their secret, including Desmond. Ah if this is the plot its going to be a great season. Nice plotline. A war of the people-turned-gods with the Losties as pawns.

Posted by: Sully | October 19, 2006 9:37 PM | Report abuse