Posted at 4:04 PM ET, 10/30/2006

Reese Witherspoon, Ryan Phillippe Split

By Liz Kelly

Phillippe and Witherspoon at a screening of "Flags Of Our Fathers" on Oct. 16. (Getty Images)

People magazine has confirmed that Reese Witherspoon and Ryan Phillippe have separated after seven years of marriage and two children.

This doesn't come as a huge surprise to Celebritologists, who no doubt remember Phillippe's 2002 revelation that the two were in couples therapy and his more recent admission to Interview magazine that he mentally separates himself from his family while working on location.

More details when available.

By Liz Kelly  | October 30, 2006; 4:04 PM ET
Categories:  Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Comment Box: Hicks and Horror Flicks
Next: Morning Mix: Poor Ticket Sales for K-Fed Concerts?

Comments

I feel more for the kids than R&R.

Posted by: Phil | October 30, 2006 4:58 PM | Report abuse

Boo. I'm sad for them.

Posted by: KG | October 30, 2006 5:04 PM | Report abuse

Noooo!!!! They seem so, like, cute and happy! And I agree, poor kids.

Posted by: h3 | October 30, 2006 5:08 PM | Report abuse

No surprise here, only that it took 7 years and not the typical hollywood 2.

can we pass a constitutional amendment banning celebrity marriage? I feel like it threatens the sanctity of my own, mundane marriage.

Posted by: OD | October 30, 2006 5:17 PM | Report abuse

Can I be depressed about this one? They seemed so "family"-oriented ...

Posted by: W | October 30, 2006 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Say it isn't so! They were one of my favorite Hollywood couples!

Posted by: Jersey | October 30, 2006 5:34 PM | Report abuse

How 'bout a Constitutional amendment banning marriage altogether?

Big bummer about R&R, I really thought they'd defy the odds and stay together, despite getting married pretty much right out of grade school. I was very surprised, as I thought it was really healthy that they were in couples counseling and open and honest about being human beings with problems and not perfect. (sigh)

Posted by: Annalisa | October 30, 2006 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Sweet...now Reese is single again.

Posted by: Lenny | October 30, 2006 5:43 PM | Report abuse

I was really rooting for them. They seemed like such a nice, normal, down-to-earth couple. Sympathies to them and the kids.

Posted by: Chicago | October 30, 2006 7:29 PM | Report abuse

I was so sad/shocked to see this! I mean is there any couple left that's been marreid more then 2, 3, 5 years? well yes R & R made it to 7.... but stilllll

Posted by: Franie | October 30, 2006 8:17 PM | Report abuse

It is hard being famous. It is even harder not being famous.:) They are experiencing what half of Americans experience: D I V O R C E. Wish them both the best. They seem to be pretty neat people.

Posted by: Chubby | October 30, 2006 8:40 PM | Report abuse

WHO CARES!!!

Posted by: dkb | October 30, 2006 8:48 PM | Report abuse

She probably ditched him because her PR people told her to... Flags of our Fathers looks like a flop. The marriage never lasts when the male actor can't outearn the female actor.

Posted by: The Biff | October 30, 2006 9:16 PM | Report abuse

I wondered when Ryan wanted his b*lls back. I guess he finally did.

Posted by: Bunkley | October 30, 2006 9:51 PM | Report abuse

Who couldn't love Reese Witherspoon? I was rooting for them to work things out.

Posted by: tlawrenceva | October 30, 2006 10:06 PM | Report abuse

No surprise at all. She won an Oscar last Spring. When a married woman wins an Oscar, the divorce countdown starts ticking immediately. Hilary Swank, Julia Roberts, Halle Berry ... once the little golden man moves in, it's just months before the husband moves out.

Posted by: Rodney Welch | October 30, 2006 10:25 PM | Report abuse

"... once the little golden man moves in, it's just months before the husband moves out."

That's not true - look at Annette Benning and Warren Beatty. They've managed to last for a while, even with his pretty serious playboy reputation.

Posted by: McLean | October 31, 2006 1:18 AM | Report abuse

Emma Thompson and K.Branagh..that marriage was doomed as soon as she won her first Oscar. Of course he was already cheating on her.
I think a lot of these "stars" really "mentally separate" on location, like maybe sleep around?
And what really bugs me are the ones like Brangelina who aren't even married and have/adopt a zillion kids. Not to be a Midwestern fuddy-duddy, but seems doomed to me.
E. Thompson now has a much nicer husband who is gorgeous. Good for her.

Posted by: Barb | October 31, 2006 9:02 AM | Report abuse

Ah, but Annette Bening hasn't won a little golden man, has she? (Altough she was robbed for "Being Julia".)

Posted by: neener | October 31, 2006 9:05 AM | Report abuse

Warren Betty and Annette Benning are still together, but remember he's old.

Posted by: Lisa | October 31, 2006 9:07 AM | Report abuse

This sucks. I really thought they would make it.

What the heck does he mean by mentally separating from his family? It's your family, is that possible because I'd like to know how.

Posted by: petal | October 31, 2006 10:17 AM | Report abuse

No, McLean, Annette Bening has never won an Oscar.

Posted by: Rodney Welch | October 31, 2006 12:41 PM | Report abuse