Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 01/ 9/2007

Rosie vs. The 'Comb-over Bunny'

By Liz Kelly

Donald Trump and Rosie O'Donnell. (AP Photos)

Rosie O'Donnell and Donald Trump are still at it. Not only did Rosie up the ante yesterday by referring to Trump as a "comb-over bunny," the New York Post is also reporting that the "View" co-host took boss Barbara Walters to task yesterday for not defending her... enough.

If you're late to this particular funfest, here's a quick recap: Miss USA Tara Conner is busted partying underage and comes thisclose to losing her crown. Trump, who owns the pageant, forgives her, saying she deserves a second chance. Rosie asks where Trump gets off posing as the moral compass for teenage girls and adds that he's been bankrupt several times. This is accompanied by some jabs at his swoosh of hair. Donald, incensed at Rosie's criticism, bites back. He calls Rosie fat. He calls Rosie a slob. American families are divided: reasonable, intelligent beings side with Rosie and everyone who hates her sides with Trump.

Sure, Rosie technically started this thing, but both she and Trump seem to be doing their darndest to keep it going. There is some speculation that the whole feud is a not-so-subtle marketing gimmick designed to bring viewers to both "The View" and the new season of Trump's "Apprentice," which debuted Sunday night. Is it working?

Cast your vote in today's poll, then add your comments below.

By Liz Kelly  | January 9, 2007; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, Miscellaneous, TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Jolie Says She Didn't Criticize Madonna
Next: Morning Mix: Paris and Britney Top Worst-Dressed List

Comments

Both are demonstrating a maddening amount of basic immaturity. It's like watching two kids hurl insults on the school playground, and neither will walk away. It's stupid and silly, and I can't believe they don't have better things to do with their time.

Posted by: ckf | January 9, 2007 10:57 AM | Report abuse

1) not sure how going bankrupt is a moral issue and 2) did he in fact? I thought he did not actually go bankrupt?

Posted by: Jo | January 9, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

They are two pathetic people desperate seeking attention. Maybe they should hook up.

Posted by: b | January 9, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Hey, the huge (hah!) numbers of fat people are skewing the question #3 results!

Posted by: Stick | January 9, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

What do you mean, Stick? Calling someone fat is so overplayed and rather boring. A combover bunny is at least something that makes me smile to envision.

So I voted for Rosie actually making me smile.

It all does smack of an attention ploy though, and considering this is the first I've heard the whole story, a pretty weak one.

Posted by: kate | January 9, 2007 11:15 AM | Report abuse

I just wish they would both go away!

Posted by: Thom | January 9, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

So I voted for Rosie actually making me smile.

Posted by: kate | January 9, 2007 11:19 AM | Report abuse

I agree, Thom. Why can't they both just GO AWAY?!

One thing I will say is that I wish Rosie would especially go away. She has done nothing but start trouble (Trump, Kelly Ripa, I'm sure there are others...) since she got on The View. She needs to just be quiet already.

Posted by: Melinda | January 9, 2007 11:25 AM | Report abuse

I agree, Thom. Why can't they both just GO AWAY?!

Posted by: Melinda | January 9, 2007 11:26 AM | Report abuse

I agree, Thom. Why can't they both just GO AWAY?!

Posted by: Melinda | January 9, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

I'm not a Rosie fan by any means and seriously I think they should do a celeb death match. Having typed that I have to admit the "comb over bunny" comment is funny.

Posted by: petal | January 9, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Not sure if anyone caught it, but "Rosie" and "The Donald" battled it out last night on WWE Raw (it was impersonators). In case you are wondering, Trump won with a devastating headbutt from the second rope.

Posted by: edt | January 9, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

This Rosie-Trump thing is as genuine and spontaneous as those well-orchestrated beefs that heavyweight champs used to have during weigh-ins.

Posted by: Jack | January 9, 2007 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Hehe is it just me or did "comb over bunny" make u split ur side when u read it. maaybe cuz i picture donald pacing back n forth beating a drum with a bad hairpiece... *shrug*

Posted by: Toneto2722 | January 9, 2007 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I would like to see the celebrity death match...but the comb over bunny comment is funny!!!! HAHAHAHAHA

Posted by: bored... | January 9, 2007 11:38 AM | Report abuse

I think calling them childish is insulting to children and childish adults everywhere. They are beyond ridiculous, they both have families and jobs you would think that would be enough to fill their days but apparently these two have way more time on their hands than the rest of the world.

Posted by: caroldc | January 9, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

It started when Rosie commented on a "news" item about Miss America. Then the Donald just kept escalating.(Doesn't he have a company to run? Or does he leave that to Carolyn? Oh, that's right, he fired her.) He's rabid and just won't shut up, enlisting his kids to shill for him, too. If he's this awful in public, can you imagine him in private, at home? What a bully. Note that his last target -- another woman -- Martha Stewart has been awfully quiet. I think Donald gets off picking on women. Now he needs to shut up, and if I were ever inclined to watch his show, I certainly am not now.

Posted by: Deborah | January 9, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

lmao now i just envisioned him beating it to the tune of "you're fired, you're fired" me sleepy as hell XD

Posted by: Toneto2722 | January 9, 2007 11:39 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Toneto2722 | January 9, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

While I have no affection for either Trump or O'Donnell, Trump's reputation will not be harmed be Rosie's classless attacks. However, Rosie's career (such that it is) is headed to the hopper. Rosie needs to realize that when you find you are digging yourself into a hole... you need to drop the shovel.

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | January 9, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

I think Rosie is being the much less childish person in this little tiff. Rosie "started it," but she was making a comment on her show when they're supposed to discuss "hot topics." It was her opinion, which she's paid to give. Then Trump, instead of just saying "well, that's Rosie and she's entitled to her opinion," kicks it up 1000 notches by calling her fat, a slob, a degenerate, saying her show was terrible, saying that she's dumb, that he'll sue her, etc. He goes on every show that will have him to say these things, even though it's not his "job" to sling insults. Rosie comes back after vacation and makes light of the situation (with the comb-over bunny thing and pointing out that it's lame to call a fat person fat, as if they don't already know). I thought her comments were pretty funny. So, even if it's a publicity stunt, Rosie wins.

Posted by: Northerner | January 9, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

i'm no rosie fan, and i've never in my life wanted to sit through an episode of "the view", but now i'm interested...i want to quit my job and watch everyday just to see what comes out of rosie's mouth! she's an awesome grenade lobber. no way are they getting rid of her.

and i like watching the donald give it right back. even if it's all a gimmick, it's pretty dang funny!

Posted by: wats | January 9, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: waterfrontproperty | January 9, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Northerner | January 9, 2007 11:47 AM | Report abuse

intelligent beings side with who? huh?

Posted by: Anonymous | January 9, 2007 11:48 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: wats | January 9, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

They are both in the wrong. Rosie loves to take potshots at people, but G-d help them if they fight back.
Donald could get himself into a lot of trouble calling people degnerates, especialy since it's the current popular word to harrass gays with.
The word used to have only one meaning "not meeting the normal moral standard", but now it includes alleged sexual perversion.
He would have been better off pointing out how insensitive it was for Rosie, whether she believed that Ms. Conner was sicnere or not, for Rosie to take potshots at him for trying to be kind to someone.

Posted by: Deana | January 9, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

lmao now I envisioned him beating it to the tune of "you're fired, You're fired.." ... me very sleepy XD

Posted by: Toneto2722 | January 9, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I've never met Donald before, but I met Rosie once and she was just a nasty pig. I think that that Donald is right and she should just go away and wallow in her pig sty.

Posted by: Brent | January 9, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Brent | January 9, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I don't believe it was trump's bankruptcy that caused Rosie to call him immoral. it was the fact that he has cheated on his first two wives and left them for other women, or something like that; it just got lost in translation. that was to answer's Jo's question from the very beginning of these comments. and "comb over bunny" is hilarious. rosie at least gets points for creativity.

Posted by: teresa | January 9, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

I found Rosie's comments to be funny. Period. Trump looked up from the gutter and again became the disgusting person he is. And then throwing the Stepford Trumps into it was pathetic.

This was a TV show where she gives her opinions, just as Jon Stewart did the same night--nothing from Trump on him.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 9, 2007 12:20 PM | Report abuse

"Reasonable, intelligent beings side with Rosie"? What an ignorant statement to make about those who side with Rosie - a woman who has made insensitive racist comments regarding Asians and Chinese and did not even appropriately apologize for them.

Posted by: Susie | January 9, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

Reasonable, intelligent beings are probably siding with neither person. They are probably like me....LMAO at this trainwreck of a fight.

Posted by: This is too good | January 9, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

I always thought Rosie was a crude slob (even when she had her own talk show) and Donald was a crude slob (who would sell his own mother for publicity) so these two deserve each either.

Posted by: Lisa | January 9, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

At least I only post once.

Posted by: Stick | January 9, 2007 12:49 PM | Report abuse

Rosie's bipolarness has never resonated as loudly as it has since she hit the View. She rags on Trump for business failures, but she killed a talk show, she killed a magazine (Harper's), and she killed a Broadway show (hey, she was the producer). She thought Drunken Danny DeVito was just lovable and endearing, but gets incensed by Trump letting the party girl off the hook. And she blogs like a mental patient.

Posted by: 23112 | January 9, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

They're both right.... Trump is a sleazy, pompous, ass with bad combover who bought the Miss America franchise solely for his "pervert" fix and Rosie is a fat, loud-mouthed, slob. We could all do without either one of them!

Posted by: BD | January 9, 2007 1:09 PM | Report abuse

It would appear that "Dump Truck" and his minions have been posting in here.

The fued is most amusing. In comparasion to the shortfingered vulgarian ("Spy" magazine's deathless phrase) Rosie comes off as rather classy.

Posted by: David Ehrenstein | January 9, 2007 1:10 PM | Report abuse

rosie comes off as classy? wow, you're an R-tard

Posted by: Anonymous | January 9, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

"reasonable, intelligent beings side with Rosie; those who hate her side with Trump?" I'm not a fan of either, but I'm reasonable and intelligent, and I think Trump's got the right to smack back. Technically or not, SHE attacked him personally, his family, and his business. I always tell my daughter, never be the one to start the fight, but if you get hit first, make sure you're the one to finish it. Rosie smacked first. Trump finished it.

Posted by: Andi | January 9, 2007 1:15 PM | Report abuse

I cannot believe that any civilized person would prescribe to this obviously imature and non sensical behaviour. My take is that this is indeed a promotional "skit" encouraging a gullible public to watch the show of either one. As for myself, I do not find either of these people entertaining or for that matter informative. They have both proven by their imature antics, to have very little grey matter between the two ornamnets they hold beside their heads, called ears.

Posted by: J H Roetz | January 9, 2007 1:18 PM | Report abuse

Trump and Rosie are both acting like idiots. I would think Rosie is making the producers at The View rethink their unwise decision to bring her own. I mean, her reaction to that whole Clay Aiken thing was way off kilter ... I like how she insinuated that Kelly Ripa was somehow homophobic and essentially gets a free pass on that, in part, because she's a lesbian.

Finally, Rosie did more than just give her opinion initially. She also mocked Trump's hair and his voice during the moral compass comment. Like Rosie is someone the world should emulate.

Posted by: dallenva | January 9, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

Rosie started this, just as she started with Ripa. Too late for her to be offended and take the I was being a comedian defense. She was offensive with Trump and really offensive with Kelly Ripa. She is horrible.

Posted by: tc | January 9, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

I am sick and tired of hearing about Rosie and Donald. The last time I looked these two individuals were adults. Isn't it time to act like it. Give it up and get on with your lives.

Didn't your parents teach you morals and values. Your children must be so very proud of their parents. It is time to grow up.

Posted by: Lee Ann | January 9, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Rosie & Trump are sooo 5 minutes ago.

Can we now move on to bigger & better celebutards?

Posted by: Bored @ work | January 9, 2007 2:16 PM | Report abuse

OK...wrestling in Jello. Rosie has to wear a bikini/thong and The Donald has to have his hair wet so we can see his bald patch.
That'll even things up.

Posted by: Barb | January 9, 2007 2:24 PM | Report abuse

Rosie constantly suffers from Foot-in-Mouth syndrome and lives to bully and insult others. Then she acts offended when someone hits back. CHILDISH.

Trump, who had time to think of a response, retaliates by attacking Rosie's appearance. All he had to say was, "I don't respond to those who routinely make racist and unintelligent comments." That would have been that and he would have finished on top. MORON.

While this doesn't really hurt The Donald's persona which is basically cartoonish and ridiculous, it appears that Rosie is torpedoing herself, yet again.

Posted by: Chris | January 9, 2007 2:28 PM | Report abuse

Rosie "technically started this thing"??? "reasonable, intelligent beings side with Rosie" -- are you on drugs? Rosie did start this thing, and you can be reasonable and intelligent and NOT side with Rosie. What I cannot fathom is why Barbara Walters has allowed The View to morph into a Jerry Springer-style talk show where the entire purpose of the show is to make outrageous, mean and nasty remarks about public figures. It has become trash television -- but I guess the women who watch television in the AM are all in favor of trash -- the ratings are up and that is all that matters!

Posted by: Colorado Kool-Aid | January 9, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I love it how Trump seems to think that attacking Rosie's looks is a legitimate way to engage her. He is no looker himself, starting with the ridiculous combover. Plus, he's an arrogant SOB. Rosie, on the other hand, is smart as a whip. And what she said is true. Who on earth is he to be the moral compass of youth in America? She's right about him, ant that is what irks him.

His insults are ridiculous and only show him to be the classless arrogant SOB that he really is. You can put a $2000 suit on a monkey, but then all you have is a monkey in an expensive suit.

Posted by: dc | January 9, 2007 2:51 PM | Report abuse

And The Donald needs an eyebrow wax.

Posted by: Barb | January 9, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Donald Trump used to occasionally attend a church I attended in NYC. Though he would sit up in the balcony while I was down on the floor, his hair was the main thing you would notice from a distance. It wasn't until much later that the person I thought was his "daughter" attending with him was, in fact, his girlfriend. I think he should have a new slogan: "Trump. You don't have to be rich to look bad." It's not unlike Listerine: "It doesn't have to taste bad to do nothing."

Posted by: Jean | January 9, 2007 3:14 PM | Report abuse

First of all, there are like only 10 actual comments on this story, but people apparently feel the need to post each comment five times. Please only submit a comment once, thank you.

Second of all, Rosie is a no-talent mean-person (who somehow at one time had a reputation for being nice - where did that come from?). And I feel like Trump is not getting a fair shake from commenters here. The man may have shortcomings, but he marries hot women and has a seemingly successful real estate business. Criticize how he got that business (largely from his father), whether his sense of decorating is "tacky" (go ahead, show how much of a snob you are), or that he went financially bankrupt (at a time when most real estate moguls struggled with a slow market). But he's pretty savvy, having parlayed a regional real estate business into a national reputation. And I'm sure a few of us have won some money off his casinos.

What has Rosie ever done for any of you?

Posted by: OD | January 9, 2007 3:57 PM | Report abuse

Rosie is subtly right about Trump's moral compass.

Personally, I see no reason why Trump gave the contestant another chance, since the winner knew from the beginning, that to be a contestant, it is a standard imperative to have the highest moral standards. Giving her a second chance, only shrinks the pageant further from its ever eroding pedestal.

Posted by: JS | January 9, 2007 4:25 PM | Report abuse

If either Trump or Rosie were remotely good looking, I bet Hollywood deal makers would pitch this little "feud" as the premise for the next great (try lame) romantic comedy in which the male and female lead despise each other initially but end up falling for each other in the end.
Come to think of it, the original players do not have to be good looking. So who would play them in the movie--Brad and Angie?

Posted by: still | January 9, 2007 4:36 PM | Report abuse

Barb: It's bad enough that Rosie would be in the bikini/thong (I just threw up in my mouth a little bit) and Donald with the wet bald spot (there goes the need to hurl again) but does it have to be in jello? Jello's a fun snack.

Still: I think that was the premise of a movie (can't recall the name) but Julia Roberts and Nick Nolte (of all people) were in it. They worked for competing newspapers. Totally forgettable movie (don't know why I remember it).

Posted by: petal | January 9, 2007 4:47 PM | Report abuse

If I'm keeping score, I have it at
Rosie-5/Trump-0. She has that Long Islander ability to "rank out" with the best of them. We'd rank on each other's mothers, and laugh our asses off. It was like the Olympics. You honed you skills--both offensive and defensive. Rosie is a joy to watch. Trump falls for every jab. He takes things personally and gets mean--but not even in a creative way. "Fat slob?" Oh yeah. Donnie. Real original. And Rosie laughed at it. That makes him even madder! At least Rosie spends some of her money helping kids--not exploiting them like Trump and his Miss Ho USA competition.

Posted by: Aeolus | January 9, 2007 5:11 PM | Report abuse

I think the intelligent beings are the ones who actually want them to both shut up.

Posted by: Sharon | January 9, 2007 5:20 PM | Report abuse

OMG. I just read your comment Barb...ewww..the visual...need to go scrub retinas.

Posted by: Sharon | January 9, 2007 5:22 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | January 9, 2007 5:52 PM | Report abuse

I am not a fan of Rosie O'Donnell at all but since she joined it is an interesting show to watch. She definately stepped out of line going after Kelly Ripa but Donald Trump was fair game. And see if they make the term combover bunny into a t-shirt. Nice!!!

But now that I am watching it that Hasselback chick is a little to dumb for my taste.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 9, 2007 5:54 PM | Report abuse

This is uglier than the battle between slim shady and borgen, or slim shady and his ex, or slim shady and will smith, or slim shady and etc., etc.

Posted by: bebe | January 9, 2007 7:13 PM | Report abuse

Enough already, children! Donald, Rosie, go to your rooms!

Posted by: Phil | January 9, 2007 8:24 PM | Report abuse

I'm not a Rosie fan, but I can't stand Trump either, he's as obnoxious and arrogant as she is. There's no winner in this juvenile debate. Trump insults everyone( I think Martha Stewart was the last target of his childish rants) who doesn't live up to his imperfect standards. Neither are prizes.

Posted by: Cheryl | January 9, 2007 8:52 PM | Report abuse

*sigh*
I miss Che.

Posted by: byoolin | January 9, 2007 10:23 PM | Report abuse

drop them both on a deserted island and make them work together to survive! That would be a great money making reality show!

Posted by: Chris | January 10, 2007 2:21 PM | Report abuse

Put them both on a desserted island and make them work together to survive... or start referring to them in celebrity couple names like Trumple or Dosie

Posted by: Chris | January 10, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

Put them both on a desserted island and make them work together to survive... Rosie would lose weight and Donald could build real estate from the ground up!

...or start referring to them in celebrity couple names like Trumple or Dosie.

Posted by: Chris | January 10, 2007 2:37 PM | Report abuse

...or start referring to them in celebrity couple names like Trumple or Dosie.

Posted by: Chris | January 10, 2007 2:39 PM | Report abuse