Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 03/ 8/2007

'Lost' Dueling Analysis: Win/Win -- No Cheech Marin and a Few Answers

By Liz Kelly

Warning: If you haven't watched last night's "Lost" yet, do so before proceeding to read an enthusiastic, yet measured, discussion of episode "Enter 77" between myself and post.com movie editrix Jen Chaney.

Kate (Evangeline Lilly) and Sayid (Naveen Andrews) gun for some answers even as I flail around for a witty caption. (Photo courtesy ABC)

Liz: Since crashing into our living rooms three years ago, "Lost" has managed to hit a sweet spot. Its "Twin Peaks" meets conspiracy theory as acted out by Gap ad models formula appeals to a wide swath of viewers. Me, I'm in it for the hidden meanings (I practically drool every time I catch an oblique pop culture reference or yet another nod to Stephen King or "The Watchmen") and the slowly unraveling mystery, which I still believe is leading to an end as ironclad as the fate to which Desmond says we are all destined.

But even I can recognize when things are getting out of hand. Three Dog Night songs are taking on hidden meanings and though I love Doc Jensen's weekly stab at "Lost's" more esoteric meanings over on the EW site, I find it hard to follow him into theories that trot out "Cathars, a Gnostic sect of Christianity considered heretics by The Roman Catholic Church and were horribly persecuted" as insight into the Others.

Still, in the spirit of assigning meaning where there is none and hoping for the best, I've discovered the super-double-secret meaning behind the title of last night's episode, "Enter 77." Thanks to years of faithfully reading Elle magazine's numerology column, I knew that I needed to take the 7 and 7 and add them together, equaling 14. Then, adding those digits (1 and 4), we arrive at 5. Aha! See, last night was the fifth episode of the spring series arc and we were being urged to "enter episode number 5." Also, when Sawyer wears his hair pulled back like a shogun, I think he's channeling John Belushi, but that's just me.

Jen -- thankfully you're back to pull me out of this wormhole. Please, save me.

Jen: So I have written a theme song for last night's episode. It goes like this:

"Old McPatchy had a farm
Eee-yi-eee-yi-oh
And on that farm he had a killer game of video chess
Eee-yi-eee-yi-oh
With a checkmate here and an explosion there
Here a check, there a mate, everywhere a boom! boom!"

I'm working on a verse about a cat named Nadia Comaneci but it hasn't come together yet. And I realize the dude's name is Mikhail, but I plan to call him McPatchy. If "Grey's Anatomy" can have a McDreamy and a McSteamy, then "Lost" can have McPatchy.

What did you think of last night's episode?

Much more after the jump...

Liz: Okay, that totally defused my descent into over-analysis, but now I'm kind of worried about you.

And I'm not sure if yellowed, rotting teeth give McPatchy quite the same vibe as McDreamy/McSteamy.

Jen: I would agree that "Lost" continues to venture into increasingly brain teasing, nerd-friendly territory. It's lost some of the heart it had before; I always think when I'm watching, but I rarely feel. Then again, most TV these days doesn't make me think or feel, so at least that's a partial victory.

A couple of things about last night's episode interest me, but here's the biggest: It's fair to assume that McPatchy is connected to those Portuguese fellows from the last episode of season two. You remember -- the guys who appeared to be in a RUSSIAN climate and were playing CHESS and could monitor the island? Yeah, McPatchy was their line into what's happening in "Lost"-land. Finally, some threads are kinda coming together...

Liz: We're definitely in sync on that vibe. I knew there had to be someone else on the other end of that game when Locke said something about computers not being able to cheat, only humans. But, help jog my memory here: I assumed the guys in the polar station monitoring the explosion were working for Penny (Desmond's chick) and looking for the island. A connection with McPatchy assumes they know where the island is and, in fact, had steady communication with it.

And was I the only one waiting for the chess computer to bust out the phrase "global-thermal nuclear war?"

Jen: The guys did seem to be working for Penny. But that doesn't mean they aren't in cahoots with McPatchy somehow. I obviously haven't figured it out fully, was more excited to know that last year's season finale may actually connect to something.

Liz: The episode was a definite improvement over last week's hour, which rated somewhere just below "The Corsican Brothers" in the bell curve of Cheech Marin's career. We finally found out who McPatchy (shoot, it's sticking now) was, though his character was a bit of a letdown and we had the re-emergence of Ms. Klugh, though she unfortunately died before giving us any useful information about things like her interest in Walt or why she was hiding out in the basement of the Flame station.

Jen: Yes, poor Ms. Klugh. Were they really speaking Russian by the way? Last night's episode, after two weeks of tattoos and Three Dog Night, seemed purposely packed with Easter eggs -- the Russian text in the typewriter, the dialogue between Klugh and McPatchy. I'm sure brighter Internet minds than ours' have already deciphered all of this stuff.

Liz: I assumed they were speaking Russian since Mikhail (McPatchy) seems to have walked straight out of a Cold War-era Tom Clancy plot.

One thing that's starting to wear on me as we wait for the producers and ABC heads to battle out how long the show will go on is the flashbacks. The Desmond and Juliet-focused episodes a few weeks back set the bar pretty high for useful flashbacks that have a direct bearing on the mysteries unfolding on the island. But last week's Hurley-fest and last night's Sayid side jaunt added exactly zero to our knowledge. The Sayid storyline was touching, but we already knew he was remorseful about his past as a Republican Guard interrogator. It was so much filler.

Maybe it's a reaction to grumblings from some of the actors for more screen time, but I'm envisioning a box set sometime in the future with the option to play the shows with all unecessary scenes (like filler flashbacks) deleted.

Also, something else is bothering me: Sun's hair is now six feet longer than it was when the plane crashed. Meanwhile, Hurley seems to be packing on the pounds. They've been on the island how long now? Certainly long enough for Hurley to lose some weight, but not long enough for Sun to score big-time extensions. I suppose the island's weird vibe is meant to explain these apparent contradictions.

Jen: Before I forget, I also wanted to throw out a thought about Locke: I believe he was set up to enter 77. Anyone who's been monitoring him, and it appears people certainly have, knows that dude is a sucker for archaic computers and data entry. So the island fates made sure he found that chess game.

Which raises the question: Does the evil smoke monster have something to do with all this? Because evil smoke monster = dead Eko = Locke finding message on Jesus stick leading to McPatchy's farm = entering the house = finding the chess game.

Liz: Good point. Not for the first time have I thought that there's some kind of Wizard-of-Oz-type person somewhere pulling all the strings, controlling the smoke monster and the larger game of chess between the Losties and the Others unfolding on the island. It's like some sicko's own private Sim City.

Also, last night there was mention of a "purge" and "hostiles." I guess we're to believe that the Others and the Dharma folks had some kind of skirmish at some point. And, if he's to be believed (and I never believe anyone who can't manage to brush his teeth on a daily basis), McPatchy also said the Others had been there much longer than the Dharma folks. Just more fuel for the Flame. (That joke was lame. Okay, now I'm rhyming, which is even lamer.)

Jen: Hey, I rewrote the lyrics to "Old MacDonald," so I'm probably lamer.

Sun also isn't showing (how pregnant is she supposed to be now?) and Claire suddenly has bangs. And then there's Paulo and Nikki, who are officially the Poochies of "Lost." A number of fans must have cheered last night when Sawyer looked at Nikki and said "Who the hell are you?"

However, re: the Sayid flashback, I actually thought it was somewhat relevant. At the closing moment, we saw Sayid walk away from the cat. To me that signified that he is still a torturer at heart, otherwise he would have saved the kitty like the woman he tortured did. That may foreshadow Sayid's actions to come.

I'm still not convinced that the Hostiles are the Others. The Others have been saying forever that they're not the bad guys, which suggests there are other bad guys lurking about. Perhaps the Hostiles are them?

Liz: I wonder -- did Sayid really torture that woman in the flashback or just say he did to help her heal?

I'm also wondering if the producers are getting a little reactive to us, the opinionated audience -- which can be good or bad, depending on how sure they are of where they are going. As you point out, we had Sawyer questioning Nikki's presence, though she and Paulo have stopped asking brain dead obvious questions. We also had Sun voice a long-held opinion of mine when she asked Sawyer to can the nicknames if he lost the ping-pong game.

Jen: I think they definitely are reacting. Which is either very smart, or a desperate move to keep loyal fans in their good graces.

I'll leave with this thought: Maybe the "Losties" themselves are the Hostiles. And the chess game conned Locke into entering 77 and giving himself up, in a sense?

I don't know. I do know that next week, we may find out that Claire is Jack's sister. Personally, I was hoping Jack's sister would turn out to be Neve Campbell, but then I'm a sucker for "Party of Five" nostalgia.

Liz: There's much more to be discussed, for instance the odds on next week being another filler episode (revelation about Jack and Claire or no), Sayid's seeming replacement of Jack as Locke's nemesis and the Dharma Initiative's genius for brand marketing (everything from toilet paper to vodka). We can continue in the comments thread below and in the last 15 minutes of today's 2 p.m. ET Celebritology Live chat.

Next Week on "Lost": Claire becomes suspicious of Charlie's peculiar behavior, while tensions mount between Sayid and Locke.

By Liz Kelly  | March 8, 2007; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Lost, TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Mills Wants £10,000 a Day from McCartney
Next: Morning Mix: Eddie Van Halen Heads to Rehab

Comments

Just a quick little thing that's been pointed out in a couple other places, Mikhail shared his name with a Russian philosopher. (From Wikipedia) Bakunin's political beliefs rejected governing systems in every name and shape, from the idea of God downwards, and every form of external authority, whether emanating from the will of a sovereign or from universal suffrage.

Posted by: Kevin | March 8, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

why was locke so stupid? seriously what makes him think hey I'll leave this guy here on the floor and go play chess. he used to be smarted than that, did he hit his head when the hatch exploded?

Posted by: locke | March 8, 2007 11:35 AM | Report abuse

Re: McPatchy

Yes, they really were speaking Russian (her not so well). She was telling him "You know what to do." Apparently, he did. McPatchy's name was Mikhail Bakunin, which is keeping in line with the Locke, Rousseau, Hume connection.Bakunin was a Russian anarchist.

Posted by: Arlington, VA | March 8, 2007 11:36 AM | Report abuse

I suspect the others are a group that spawned from the Dharma Initiative. The Others have referred to a sub in past episodes, and we learned that Dharma had a sonar beacon installed in the ocean to communicate with their subs. Seems rather unlikely that the Others merely took the Dhara facilities AND the sub(s) by force (let alone know how to work everything.)

One timeline thing doesn't make sense. Everything we've seen has led us to believe that the Dharma Initiative was a 60's-70's organization that apparently disappeared quite some time ago. Yet the guy who was pushing the button before Desmond (can't remember his name) couldn't have arrived there until 1993 as he was seen in Iraq during Desert Storm with Sayid in flashbacks.

BTW, how on earth did that old CGA monitor play a video? (I'm assuming that somehow a victory triggered a VCR somewhere since video playback of that quality from that computer was decades away)

Posted by: Buck Dharma | March 8, 2007 11:40 AM | Report abuse

It seems clear the Dharma instructions after Locke won the chess game were not live communication, but sort of a video operating system. As Locke tried to enter commands though the system kept giving him error messages ("satellite is down", "sonar is down"). It is logical for the program/system to then assume and ask if hostiles have breached the facility since it would be likely strategy in combat to take out the oppositions communication capability.

Locke in some way was fated to push 77. The last time he doubted instructions to enter in numbers "the sky went purple" so I figure he wasn't ready to go down that road again.

Posted by: SK | March 8, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

My son thinks that Locke "lost his touch" after the Hatch exploded. Now Locke can't do anything right. Kharma? The universe righting itself? Who knows. I'm starting to get bored with it all.

Posted by: Anonymous | March 8, 2007 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Any ideas what the paper written in Russian said? This is the dialogue between McPatchy and Klugh:

Klugh: Mikhail. Mikhail! You know what to do.
Mikhail: We still have another way [out].
Klugh: We cannot risk. You know the conditions.
Mikhail: There is another way.
Klugh: They captured us. We will not give (or let, or betray) [unintelligible].
Klugh: You know what to do. It is an order.
Mikhail: We still have another way!
Klugh (in English): Just do it, Mikhail.
Mikhail: Forgive me. (shoots)

Posted by: Fairfax | March 8, 2007 11:52 AM | Report abuse

McPatchy - love it, and I don't even watch Grey's Anatomy ;)

Thanks for the Russian translation Fairfax.

And did anyone else have a thought: McPatchy talked about the whole scientist vs. Dharma thing. Has it occurred to anyone that Rousseau's group were the scientists? Or have I forgotten some Lost lore from Season 1...

Posted by: Chasmosaur | March 8, 2007 11:58 AM | Report abuse

Now that I know the actor playing Paulo is going to be Xerxes in the movie "300" I feel we should cut the dude some slack.

Posted by: Not Shlomo | March 8, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Back in Season 1 when Sayid was searching along the beach, didn't he stumbled upon a wire going to the sea and eventually led him to Rousseau's hideout?

I wonder if that was the communication for the submarine that the Dharma guy was telling Locke.

Posted by: Bethesda | March 8, 2007 12:22 PM | Report abuse

I dont really think Sayid's failure to adopt the cat means he is standing behind the need for torture, since a. the cat wasnt in the process of being harassed and b. I'm sure the cat can find pretty much anything he wants on the Island.

However, since Sayid was all about torturing the Head of the Others last season, why is he suddenly remembering his own brush with torture and turning over a new leaf? Which leads me to wonder...hmmm, to torture or not to torture, does it really matter what Sayid chooses???

Posted by: Bilbo B. | March 8, 2007 12:23 PM | Report abuse

"I'll leave with this thought: Maybe the "Losties" themselves are the Hostiles."

How can the Losties be the Hostiles, when the Hostiles were mentioned way before they arrived? They were mentioned by Kelvin in Desmond's flashback, and by the guy in the video, which must have been recorded years before.

Posted by: J | March 8, 2007 12:24 PM | Report abuse

Could be that the people from the others/Dharma think that Rousseau's people are the hostiles...considering they all died (except Rousseau). I know she said they all got sick but just a thought...

Posted by: Fairfax | March 8, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

I swear, sometimes this show gives me SUCH schpilkes!!

I didn't see the need for the Sayid backstory but I must say I enjoyed seeing more of Naveen Andrews.

And did anyone else keep waiting for McPatchy to go all Wishmaster on em? For those that aren't horror fanatics, McPatchy's real name is Andrew Divoff & he played the Djinn in the Wishmaster movies fromt he late 90s.

Djinn, according to wiki "The jinn are said to be creatures with free will, made from 'smokeless fire' by Allah"

Co-inky-dink? I think not!!

Posted by: Bored @ work | March 8, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

Hey, I never saw the musical 'Chess', but it was some cold war thing, right? And from the song 'One Night in Bangkok', the guy is talking about the chess championship & he says "Thank God I'm only watching the game, controlling it." Maybe it's that same guy!

And if you take the 'L' from 'Hostiles' & replace the 'H' with it (and delete the 'H'), what does it spell? 'Losties'!! No way!!!!

Posted by: Different Liz | March 8, 2007 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Liz, I'm with you on the Sun-hair thing. That's been driving me crazy. And Hurley's weight, too! I mean, I know he's had plenty of food available to him, but heavens! It's only been, what, six days since he returned to camp? Acc to timeline on Wikipedia, Hurley returned to camp on Nov. 29th. The Tricia Tanaka episode took place on Dec. 5th!!!

And I'm with locke. I lost it last night. What the heck was Locke thinking, to leave McPatchy alone so he could take a look at the chess game? That just did not seem Locke-like at all, hunter that he claims to be...

Posted by: Locke is crazy | March 8, 2007 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Mikhail & Nadia both resonate with Russia. about the cat at the end - don't think Sayid could practically pick it up & go crashing thro the jungle with it ...good luck with trying to do that. cats are pretty self sufficient & my guess is someone from the beach will come looking for the team & it will eventually end up back at the beach. I think it is symbolic of goodness of the world overcoming the cruelty of humans. I think Sayid, looking at it was just his trying to imprint that on his mind. and I was glad to get more of his backstory.

Posted by: hattiehoo | March 8, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

was the cat similar to the one that the woman who said sayid tortured her was holding? and it's named nadia. isn't that the name of the woman he's looking for? or am i totally over-analyzing.

Posted by: cat | March 8, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

"Yet the guy who was pushing the button before Desmond (can't remember his name) couldn't have arrived there until 1993 as he was seen in Iraq during Desert Storm with Sayid in flashbacks."

Posted by: Rockville | March 8, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I take issue with Locke entering 77. If that means that the hostiles have taken over doesn't it stand to reason that something would occur to stop the hostiles from taking over the station. A trap or warning alarm of some sort, come on now. Use your head Locke!

Another thing I take issue with is Sayid not knocking out Ms. Klugh the moment she started speaking. Their talking in a language you don't understanding so you let them continue, hell shoot somebody or knock somebody out but shut down the communication.

Sun should have had Sawyer cut out the nicknames for a month or longer. Although I did enjoy the "Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon" reference.

Lastly, Kate is about as useful as an a&*hole right here. To borrow from Kill Bill 2. I hope they let her walk by that weird thing in the jungle in next weeks episode. Whatever happens to her I don't care. I did enjoy the episode it made up for the Hurley episode and the one with Bai Ling.

Posted by: petal | March 8, 2007 12:53 PM | Report abuse

"I thought they'd clarified that the pre-Desmond pusher had had a partner, who was there even longer than he had been. Or something along those lines. I was under the impression that different people got roped into button pushing over the years- that the soldier was simply one in a series of button pushers, not the original one."

The grey beard dude said he got the job by responding to a newspaper ad. So that indicates that Dharma was still managing the island at that time. Yet, nothing was ever done to update any of it (not even a single Cyndi Lauper LP)

Posted by: Buck Dharma | March 8, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Kelvin was pushing the button before Desmond. Radzinsky was his partner. (Thank you Lostpedia!)

Posted by: Fairfax | March 8, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Enough with the Mc-This and Mc-That. Please!

Posted by: no | March 8, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

I think the whole point of the Sayid flashback was to show that he is no longer in control of the Republican guard (which would never admit to what they did) and he is in control of himself right now (which is why he was able to break down and admit what he did and therefore earn his freedom). I think you can cross reference the timing of the last flashback coming right after Rousseau was pushing Sayid to kill Mikhail, and Sayid not doing it showed that he was in control now...he's not taking orders from anyone anymore.

Posted by: Dan | March 8, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

WHhy in the world were Mikhail's teeth so f'ed up??? All of the other Others seem to be handling their personal hygiene pretty well.
Why wouldn't the Others disconnect the explosives when they took over the facility?
Perhaps the falshback wasn't filler. The Losties are the cat. The others are the kids throwing firecrackers.
Fate (Desmond story) vs. free will (Hurley story) vs. having other people impose their will on you (Sayyid story)

Posted by: Earl | March 8, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

Locke is an idiot. Thought so from the start, now I've been proven right. He LEAVES his prisoner to PLAY A VIDEO GAME???? Ahhhhhhhh! Tell me it wasn't perfectly obvious once Sayid and Kate spotted the C4 that Locke would blow it all up.

Ah Sawyer, I knew his kinder, gentler self would peak out eventually. Sawyer is like a burnt marshmallow (stay with me now, non-campers). He's bitter and crunchy on the outside, but sweet and gooey on the inside. Or maybe that's my husband. Oh well, either way.

Posted by: KiKi | March 8, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

I think Locke suspected that entering "77" would destroy the station (or otherwise disable communications), and that is exactly why he did it. The island gave Locke the ability to walk again, and he is in a situation where his woodsman skills make him important and useful. He is in his element. I think Locke entered the numbers knowing--or at least hoping--that the communication station would be destroyed, so that there would be even less of a chance of him being rescued and returned to a wheelchair and to his miserable life in a box factory...

Posted by: Anonymous | March 8, 2007 1:26 PM | Report abuse

If Sayid and the annoying elf are frustrated with not getting enough screen time NOW, just wait till they introduce a WHOLE NEW CAST OF CHARACTERS (which will be the Hostiles). You KNOW that's coming! At which point, I think pretty much everyone will run screaming from their TVs and never watch another episode.

Complexity can be used to pique interest and intrigue; the maniaical level of detail and massive overload of complexity in this show just makes it unbearably annoying and exasperating. I am SO tired of having questions answered with more questions, MORE characters, MORE subplots, and more filler (I agree that Sayid's flashback was useless-other than giving the guy work for a few days).

Posted by: tbaxter | March 8, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Locke is as stupid as everyone says. I think Locke intentionally blew the place up. Remember the island gave Locke the ability to walk and I'm not sure he ever wants to get off. Kinda like Bernard and Rose. Speaking of which what happened to those two? That satellite was the one way of maybe communicating to get off the island. That is why Sayid made the point of saying Locke that was our only way of communicating with the outside world. I think there is a definite split between those desperately trying to get off the island Jack and Sayid and those who don't want to leave and maybe want to keep everyone else there to keep them company ie Locke.

Posted by: John | March 8, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

Oh you guys make my Thursdays. "Old McPatchy's Farm." "The Poochies of Lost." I needed that. And as alwasys I agree with you: last night's flashback was pointless, and Locke WAS set up.

Posted by: Sam | March 8, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

So why didn't the rescue party at least take a cow with them for a snack down the line. I mean weren't there animals all around that place. That cow was even trained to come just when whistled for. The least they could have done was slap it on the rear toward the beach in hope that their lost buddies might get a meal out of it.

Also, wasn't there some great magnetic force on this island that would render a compass useless but they have been following some busted old compass for two days?

This show is nothing but more and more questions. It has no answers because none of the writers or producers ever knew where it would go to begin with.

Posted by: Big | March 8, 2007 2:05 PM | Report abuse

Re: Locke entering "77." Every flashback and real-time depiction of Locke has involved his ability (weakness?) to fixate on a goal -- from the need to participate in the outback adventure, to giving his kidney to is father, to parking outside his father's house every night, to digging up the hatch, to entering the numbers and then not entering the numbers...does it seem so illigical that a man who focuses all his energies on his latest obsession wouldn't go over and continue playing chess? Mikhail tempted him, "you can't win, it cheats," and Locke was hooked.

Was it a plan on the Others part? Not sure, becasue it looked like Locke got more out of the computer experience than just, holy cow, the place blew up! Sayid seems to be on the same page as Locke, because his anger at the loss of the transmitter was quickly tempered by Locke's comments. It seemed like more was going to be said, but just ended there, as if the editors decided to hold back some dialogue. Very confusing, one second Sayid was ready to tear him a new one, and then, Locke says "I did what it told me to do when the hostiles came," and Sayid just seems to say, "Oh. Ok. Let's go."

Still the best show on TV!

Posted by: LostieLostie | March 8, 2007 2:07 PM | Report abuse

Re: Sayid's flashback, I'm not sure it "added nothing." The cat was found in a box and was being tormented by children for fun, and was saved by a "higher being" [a human]. Perhaps the Losties are in a similar situation. Reminded me of the old Star Trek episode "The Squire of Gothos."

Posted by: Harry Haller | March 8, 2007 2:35 PM | Report abuse

With the talk of the "purge" last night, I am working on a theory that the Other" were the lab rats for the Dharma people. I haven't gotten it completely fleshed out yet.

Posted by: j-mas | March 8, 2007 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Re Sawyer's nicknames: in addition to being a key part of his "cool" style and superiority, and holding everyone at arm's length, I wonder if there is also a sly commentary of President Bush's lifelong habit of conferring nicknames on people? And was Sun's request a commentary on that practice?

My husband & I also debated whether the cats were the same cat or different. I say different but similar animals.

Re: Said, I am curious about his timeline. does this Paris torture interlude precede his experience in America where he got involved in undercover involvement with a terrorist cell? I thought that episode led directly to his travel to Australia. I'm a bit confused.

Posted by: Lindy48 | March 8, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

1. Before the purple sky, the compass didnot work, remember Sayid trying it in season 1?

2. I think the idea of Locke intentionally cutting communications has merit. Remember in Season1, early on, he hit Sawyer in the head with a stick when they were looking for the 16 year distress call? Why did he do that? He claimed that his co-losties wer enot "ready" to find it, I believe.

3. Kind of inhuman of Sayid, Locke and Kate to not bury Klugh. Yes, they are in a hurry, but still no coverage of where the body ends up.

4. Great sequence when Sayid baits McPatchy , when he says, "We killed on of them." Was he talking about Sun on the boat? (Colleen? Who said if you kill us, we will be your enemy - they get real mad)

5. Per a previous comment weeks ago, another African killed/leaves. What's up with this? Can we have a little PC diversity to watch?

6. OK, who is really first, Ben and Co. (Hostiles) or Dharma? Juliet siad Dharma was "long ago", implying that the Others-Hostiles won the war?

Posted by: dr | March 8, 2007 3:13 PM | Report abuse

With Sawyer not giving nick names for a week on the island, that will be about 15 episodes in ABC time.

Posted by: dr | March 8, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

Sully - Where are your comments?

Posted by: dr | March 8, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

Or maybe they are all Dharma and the people in the stations were the lab rats (but didn't know it) and the Others were studying them. Then when the rats found out they weren't actually saving the world they revolted and were killed by the Others. Then the Others tried to make Rousseau's scientists their new lab rats, but they all got sick/died from the new tests. Then the plane crashed and they figure they had been waiting for new lab rats and so they stole a few.

And I think Penny's dad owns the company that does the Dharma initiative and Penny found out that Desmond was in the hatch because she stumbled upon the surveillance video tape of the hatch, but couldn't figure out where they were. So he bribed the guys at the Siberia station who do some other Dharma thing to find where the hatch is based on what she found out the hatch/lab rats were for.

Dude. That is totally it.

Posted by: mango | March 8, 2007 3:32 PM | Report abuse

P.S. I think the Others think they are saving people by the researhc/tests they are doing which is why they don't think they are the "bad guys." They probably think the bad guys are the rest of the world or something.

Posted by: mango | March 8, 2007 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I don't understand how anyone from the "Losties" would do anything (anything at all) without first consulting Sayid. He just seems to know everything thats going on, but I feel like he should have found out most of the island's mysterys by now...

Posted by: Sayid | March 8, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

P.P.S. The whole island is probably being watched/controlled by Penny's dad's company and is the real experiment. what is the name of the fake company that they used to have commercials for during the show? I bet that is his company.

Posted by: mango | March 8, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Mango-

Good ideas. Maybe the others are stealing the kids in order to do experiments on them, like Karl's brainwashing. Or was he punished? Either way, he and Alex seem to have freedom with the Others, but are not one of them, much like Juliet.

Posted by: dr | March 8, 2007 3:48 PM | Report abuse

response to dr's question #4 above:
I think Sayid is referring to Ethan who the Losties killed. Has Sun even told the other Losties about killing the woman on the boat?
And Eko killed 2 Others, and Anna Lucia killed one (Sayid may not know about these).
There are many answers.

Also, in the early episodes with Rousseau, I seem to recall a somewhat cryptic remark she made about her fellow scientists getting sick, and indicating she had to kill them. I think it is going to turn out that Rousseau knows McPatchy better than we think, and that she has dark secrets to hide as well, which is why she did not go into McPatchy's building.

another thought, I wondered if Said's reaction to the torture lady was also his grief over the torture of the woman he loved. (I've forgotten her name). Perhaps there was a connection between the 2 women.

Posted by: Lindy48 | March 8, 2007 5:50 PM | Report abuse

I believe that the Others are NOT good people. They are creepy through and through. They might think they're good, but Dick Cheney thinks he's good and Benito Mussolini thought he was good, and so on.

I liked the idea of McPatchy being an actual Dharma Project survivor and his notion that the Others (who we might have previously assumed were PART of the Dharma project) actually were a competing, adversarial group - i.e., the Hostiles. I was confused about how Sayid & Kate knew or sense that McPatchy's story wasn't true. And if was in fact in league with the Others, why did he pretend otherwise at first? What was the point of that??

As to Locke playing Chess and then pressing "77" when prompted ... I think Locke is really pathetic and I get so tired of his obsessions. He always follows the path of blind faith, like a child taking a game too seriously. Thanks for blowing up all that equipment and all those Dharma manuals, you bozo.

Sayid leaving the cat behind does NOT mean he's a still a torturer at heart. That's silly, and a slander to Sayid, who I think is one of truly decent characters on the show. What's he supposed to do, adopt a stray kitty-kat while he and Kate and Locke go off in battle, prisoner in tow, to fight the Others and rescue Jack? C'mon, now.

Posted by: SJH | March 8, 2007 6:06 PM | Report abuse

Sayid left the cat behind because he is not one to chase ghosts - unlike the others, who just go chasing things from their pasts that they see or imagine that they see. His past is the past - that is why he left the cat behind.

Posted by: star11 | March 8, 2007 6:27 PM | Report abuse

I don't know if Syid's flashback was filler or not but it was triggered by the cat. Since a large part of his past recent and distant has him doing pretty bad things to people its only right that he still has to work through what he has done. What is interesting is that this time he was on the recieving end of the torture. I can't say that he was the person who tortures the woman but he may have been the Commanding officer of someone who did.

Posted by: GDH | March 8, 2007 6:51 PM | Report abuse

This season is all about the "Others" and it also seems to be addressing the issues from the first two seasons of the Losties. For instance Hurley's obsession with his bad luck which ended last week, this week deals with Syid's tortuous past. Hurley now believes he can change his own circumstances and that other people will not suffer because of that. Trich Tanaka died because of Hurley's bad luck, Charlie did not died because Hurley made his own luck when he started the Van and did not crash. Syid has tried to move beyond his need to torture people for information. The flash back to himself being tortured was an physical manifestation of his mental issues. He had to forgive himself, which in the flashback was done by the woman forgiving him. This was aided by the fact that he found the Dharma Initative Operation Manuals. When they were leaving he said that they now have a ticket to get to where the others are, The French Woman said he will never tell what we want to know, Syid said I don't mean him pulling out the layout of the powerlines on the island. The map freed Syid from resorting to torture when that is what he feel comfortable doing and feels is neccessary when you have someone who can answer questions. With that said the other main Losties will have some of their issues resolved by seasons end and we should have a clear understanding of the "Others" and who they are. Now the Hostiles and the other issues the Losties have will take us through at least two more seasons.

P.S. Shouldn't we all be mad at Locke for blowing up the Communication station with all the Dharma Initative Manuals. How much information about the Dharma Initative could they have gained from reading those.

Posted by: JPMartin | March 8, 2007 7:39 PM | Report abuse

A minor technical point..from a gun geek

When McPatchy shot Sayid he use a Mosin-Nagant rifle. This rifle was initially designed circa 1900, when military thought caused rifles to be designed to shoot accurately out to 2,000 yards. That kind of range, coupled with a flat trajectory requires a high velocity round.

At 25 yards (probably less judging from where McPatchy was when he shot Sayid)the bullet would have gone straight through him (unless it struck bone). Instead it was that traditional movie routine "it's only a flesh wound" followed by the equally traditional digging out of the bullet (which was far too small and deformed to have been fired from such a gun). A minor point I know, compared to some of the other stupidities we've seen (I'd have a little talk with Locke about basic military procedure- I.E. when your guarding a prisoner watch the prisoner) but it bothered none the less.

Posted by: Da Big Kahunna | March 8, 2007 8:06 PM | Report abuse

I don't think the flashback was a waste of time. I think it fit in perfectly with a theme that has been running through this season - lies! Think about it, we've seen Sun's lies that caused the maid to get fired because she dropped the glass balerina; Eddie, the undercover cop, lying to Locke and Locke falling for those lies; Jack believing that his Father was lying about Sarah; Sawyer's many layers of lies while in prison: Juliet's multiple lies and the lying lies that she told to cover those lies - obvisiously I could go on and on. But to address last night's flashback, Sayid was living under a false name, Sami lied to Sayid to get him to the resturant, Sayid lied to him about having tortured his wife and she lied to her husband in order to release Sayid. In fact, I wasn't totally convinced with Sayid's remorseful tears and vows never to torture. After all since coming to the island Sayid has tortured Sawyer and Ben. The flashbacks are often much more nuanced than sometimes appeared on the first viewing (except for the wretched Bai Ling one, which I hope is Lost's nadir). One gripe about the flashback - if Sayid lived in Paris, how is it he didn't understand and of Rousseau's message from the first episode?

And LostieLostie's analysis of Locke I think was spot on! When Locke pushed the button, he wasn't being dumb but just guilable again. His history is chocked full of falling for schemes hook, line and sinker - hell, he even thought a phone sex girl was interested in him! Now that's guilable. Given that the one time Locke resisted the urge to do as he was told, the sky turned purple and the hatch imploded. Locke had to push that button, it's what makes him the character he is. Which of course opens up the whole can of worms about fate vs free will!

Posted by: dre7861 | March 8, 2007 9:52 PM | Report abuse

-- If you think Sayid's flashback was pointless, then I suggest re-watching Season One. This show started out with very heavy character development, because it was originally supposed to focus on the characters and not island lore. Somehow that idea got lost (no pun intended) during Season 2 and as Season 3 began. The writers started ramping up the action, the Others, and the lore at the expense of character development. This is why viewers seem to be confused by Sayid and Hurley's latest flashbacks--old school Season 1-like Lost feels like such departure compared to what we've seen during this mediocre season. Not every flashback has to answer a question!

-- Sun has been only pregnant for 2-3 months at most in Lost time. NOBODY starts showing that early into a pregnancy. Even if Lost runs a few more seasons and continues running at its current pace, her pregnancy still would not have progressed in Lost time to her last trimester, which is when she would really start to show. So don't bank on seeing a baby bump any time soon.

Posted by: Tirade | March 8, 2007 10:34 PM | Report abuse

One thing I'm convinced of is that we're experiencing the law of diminishing returns with all the flashbacks.

For example, we already knew Sayid had been a torturer and that he regretted this part of his past. Therefore, I don't think last night's flashback added a darn thing to our understanding of his character.

Likewise, we already knew that all sorts of bad luck (including death) had surrounded Hurley after he won the lottery. Therefore, the Trish Tanaka (spelling?) flashback didn't add anything to our understanding of his character.

As to the Jack flashback with Bai Ling, the less said the better. It certainly added nothing to our understanding of his character. Even if one takes Bai Ling's assessment of him seriously, we already knew he was a reluctant leader, potentially a great man but with issues.

Finally, thanks to the poster who reminds us of what a fool Locke is -- he actually did believe he was having a serious relationship with a phone-sex worker was calling. Locke should go back to working at Toys'R Us where he can play with Mousetrap.

Posted by: SJH | March 8, 2007 10:49 PM | Report abuse

Damn...10:49 pm and still talking about it - I love this show and this post game chat. Thank god it's not in reruns like everything else..."you make my Thursdays", well said.
For me, it's all about the humor. Lineof the week: Sayid has been shot, he's bleeding, miss fussybritches runs up to him and asks, "Are you alright?" Well of course, don't I look alright?
Anyway, keep up the good work, guys. Love you.

Posted by: thefan | March 9, 2007 3:36 AM | Report abuse

Hi very nice!hoodia-goedonii

Posted by: Zervvodoss | March 9, 2007 4:50 AM | Report abuse

I'm just glad that Sayid actually asked good questions. I couldn't understand why Jack never once asked anything relevant in the entire time they were holding him. Sure, the answers are suspect, but at least he didn't blow the opportunity to ask.

Posted by: Sarah | March 9, 2007 8:56 AM | Report abuse

Cmon SJH, equating Cheney to Mussolini is an over-the-top cheap shot. How can you criticize Locke's blind faith when you espouse blind liberal allegiance? I'm not a big Dick Cheney fan, but have to call out a political cheap shot.

About the cat - Was it not there to remind Sayid of his choice he has to make with his prisoner? After all the metaphors with the cat in the box, the Iraqi women herself,etc, the episode beautifully showed Sayid's inner conflict/past wrongs.

Sayid's ground smarts are pretty awesome: He smelled out Michael, and now Patchy, but got whipped by the woman, Danielle! He is good and I think good at heart. However, I fear for his life if he kills an Other, much like Eko, Anna, and soon Charlie (Nathan).

Posted by: dr | March 9, 2007 10:30 AM | Report abuse

Do you think the horse Kate saw in the forest a season or so ago was from McPatchy's farm?

Posted by: kc | March 9, 2007 10:52 AM | Report abuse

About the Russian text -- it had the name Andrei underlined, and in the margin was scrawled "My name is also Andrei". I couldn't read all of the handwriting on the second note in the text, but it said something about Afghanistan.

Posted by: myshka | March 9, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Ummmm... I love Lost as much as the next guy, but something about having to play a game of chess in order to self destruct your station seems a bit dumb...

"Hey Bob, look! Guys with weapons and nasty looking smiles are coming our way."

"...give me a minutes the damn computer has a knight threatening my king and I can't take an offensive position for at least 4 more moves."

Posted by: Bug | March 9, 2007 1:54 PM | Report abuse

re: needing to play chess to self-destruct the station... When Locke won, wasn't there some message about 'manual override activated'? That indicates to me that there was probably a more direct way to get to the destruct function and the chess game thing was just a 'back door'.

Posted by: thirstycat | March 9, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

"I do know that next week, we may find out that Claire is Jack's sister. Personally, I was hoping Jack's sister would turn out to be Neve Camppell, but then I'm a sucker for "Party of Five" nostalgia."

Now tell how you DID KNOW this was gonna be revealed? and in your next 12 episode review you compare Claire to Neve. now, how could you possibly now that it would be C_l_a_i_r_e who'd be Jack's sister?

Posted by: tatiana | March 15, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse