Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 04/24/2007

Britney Spears: Suddenly Svelte

By Liz Kelly

If nothing else, Britney Spears has an amazing ability to keep us guessing and illustrates perfectly the fact that we, despite our propensity for picking apart celebrities, have an astounding capacity to forgive and forget when presented with a set of killer abs.

Hot on the heels of her stint in rehab -- which was itself hot on the heels of self-inflicted head-shaving, partying with Paris and a split from K-Fedex -- Spears has thrown us a curveball yet again.

To put it in reality TV terms, she's gone from "Biggest Loser" to "Pussycat Doll" in what seems to be the span of about a month. And where other celebs (though no one in particular comes to mind) tend to show some wear-and-tear as a result of sudden body overhauls, Spears looks healthy, toned and -- as several male friends termed it -- "hott."

Don't trust me, though. See for yourself.

How did she do it? A spokesman says Spears returned to fighting trim by curtailing alcohol binges and "working out, eating right and enjoying life," though there has been some speculation that Spears had a little help from a Las Vegas LipoDissolve clinic, which reportedly takes about three weeks to show results.

There is one constituency not at all surprised by Spears's return to the zone: In the Hollywood.com fan forums, reaction to the photos tends to echo this poster's sentiments:

"I swear that woman is freaking hot. Her [expletive] is just perfection. Bow. She looks better than she has in years, even before the kids. I can't wait to see her really dress up."

Oh, you mean like this? Well, at least she's making baby steps.

By Liz Kelly  | April 24, 2007; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Britney Spears, Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Kim Basinger Denies Releasing Baldwin Voicemail
Next: Morning Mix: Rosie O'Donnell -- Adieu to 'The View'?

Comments

liz, liz, liz...where do you find those fantastic before photos? oh never mind...they are EVERYWHERE!
seriously, this goes back to my question on the morning mix: what is the purpose of these stints in rehab? is she sober? is that even the purpose of rehab anymore? and by the way, where are her children?

Posted by: methinks | April 24, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

I will give Britney credit for working out even with it includes lipo ( if can afford it and can tolerate pain, why not). She looks much better than Courtney Love.

Posted by: Lisa1 | April 24, 2007 12:11 PM | Report abuse

Three words: Spray-on tan.

Posted by: C. | April 24, 2007 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Despite the abs, I haven't forgotten the recent Britney, there's nothing to forgive I couldn't stand her then, still can't. Yes, the abs are on point but there's still the major issue that this chick was and probably still is, unhinged and a pack of abs does nothing to change that. Let's not get excited by the body and (heaven help my ears) the possible album.

Is the Brit we're seeing a mentally stable, good decision making, non loser marrying, PANTY WEARING (that needs to be addressed) mom or is she the same little girl lost with fab abs pretending to be stable? Cause we can't blame the fallout on K-Fed. Not to be a hater or anything but I'd like a psych's note that she's ok before saying she looks good.

One more swipe at that horse. How are her kids and is she hanging with them?

Posted by: petal | April 24, 2007 12:39 PM | Report abuse

I agree with you Petal. She is still a limited singer with a taste for cute loser men which is acceptable in Hollywood as longer as she is not fat. If Britney didn't lose weight then her career would have been over.

Posted by: NYC | April 24, 2007 12:56 PM | Report abuse

The purpose of rehab in Hollywood is to keep your record contract and endorsement deals.

Posted by: Sunshine | April 24, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Most men think any woman who show skin is hot. I would not depend on my male friends' opinion on Britney's relative hotness because that outfit is definitely not hot.

Posted by: Mary | April 24, 2007 12:58 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, how does weight loss/body sculpting like this happen in such a short time period? Plastic surgery/lipo? Drugs? Exercise? All of the above?

Posted by: sen | April 24, 2007 1:10 PM | Report abuse

eeewww...not hot, not toned, stretch marks on tummy...
outfit is omg horrible.

Posted by: NanFan56 | April 24, 2007 1:10 PM | Report abuse

Why is this a story? Certainly editors can find far more use of their reporters than to focus on the ridiculously mundane while people are being killed. What has "Brit" contrtibuted to humanity?

Posted by: cfnewswire@aol.com | April 24, 2007 1:13 PM | Report abuse

First, to cfnewswire@aol.com:

It's a blog about celebrities, not the Nation or World section.

After I read those sections - along with Metro and Business - and peruse the BBC News web site to boot, it's nice to come here and read something not so infinitely depressing.

As for Ms. Spears:

Not a fan of her or her music, but I did always have to respect the fact that she used her genetic gifts to full effect, as jaw-dropping as it may have been at times ;)

Maybe she had lipo, but remember she did drop a lot of weight around her split with K-Fed, so she didn't necessarily have a huge way to go (like Courtney Love)

She's also 25 and was in fabulous shape pre-baby. If she did indeed cut out the caloric stuff and go back to whatever physical regimen she used to have, she could re-tone up fairly quickly.

Muscle memory, a 20-something metabolism, and enough money to afford really good personal trainers. Not rocket science, here.

Posted by: Chasmosaur | April 24, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

I would eat the corn out of her Daddy's Garden!

Posted by: DD Brown | April 24, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Suddenly hot? What did she lose, a pound? Didn't we just read this story a couple of months ago, pre-head shaving?

Posted by: Eh? | April 24, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

cfnewswire@aol.com:

Editors, directors, etc. hire writers, journalists, reporters, etc. to write about people like Britney because people enjoy hearing, reading, watching about them. It sells papers, drives traffic to websites, increases ratings, etc.

No one forced you to read this blog. If someone did, then you have much bigger problems than a blog entry on Britney. If you'd rather read about death, well, just about every newspaper out there has an obituaries section. Knock yourself out.

Posted by: BF | April 24, 2007 1:46 PM | Report abuse

cfnewswire@aol.com:

I might point out that people have been dying every day, for centuries, sadly, it is no longer news. Hott 25 yo's though are something special.

Posted by: Stick | April 24, 2007 1:58 PM | Report abuse

Lizzie: Why did you not mention anything about Abhishek and Aishwarya getting hitched? They're like the saintly, likeable, normal bollywood version of TomKat. Seriously big news you're missing out on.

Or maybe it's me being the only crazy person who's into hindi films that much to think it's big news.

No, I'm right. It's big news. Did that person ever send you the scoop on Bollywood?!

Posted by: not bluto | April 24, 2007 2:12 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, Liz, there's so much bollywood drama! You'd love it.

Though, unless you liked Moulin Rouge, you'd hate hindi films probably. I'm not Indian nor do I speak hindi, and the movies are terribly misogynistic... but I'm sucked in. Like MSG, you know you're not supposed to like it, but it makes everything taste so good...

Posted by: not bluto | April 24, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

oooh...not bluto...thank you for the bollywood wedding tip. i googled their names and found beautiful wedding pics. i've already sent the link to many friends who are also fans.

Posted by: methinks | April 24, 2007 2:36 PM | Report abuse

she looks dirty, like she needs a shower. Seriously. Skanky torn tights, ugly wig, skirt that was popular 20 years ago when I was in 8th grade. And FWIW, as a doctor, I can say that she has had lipo done, just as she had a tummy tuck with her second caesarean. You can tell if you know what to look for. As a layperson, I can say she got herself a spray on tan.

Posted by: Dc doc | April 24, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Yeah? And your point is?

Posted by: Stick | April 24, 2007 3:37 PM | Report abuse

idk, I don't think you need lipo to tone up like she did. ceasing alcohol consumption and working out an hour a day will do this easily in 1 month if you were fit before gaining weight.

Posted by: pete | April 24, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

I don't care how she got this way, and I don't care that all that fatass, jealous, catty women posting comments cant' see past her terrible dancing outfit... BRIT IS BACK, BABY! AND SHE IS HOTT!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Amazing what passes for hot nowadays.

Posted by: Milwaukee | April 24, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

Word, Milwaukee.

Brit--call Rachel Zoe stat.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 24, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

What is this lipo thing she's on? Can I get some, too?
Although I still don't get the hotpants craze. Or the fishnets, which actually aren't as bad as the black tights being worn by plenty of so-called "well-dressed" celebs these days. What's up with that?
Actually Brit's look is kind of cute in a way. When I was in, like, fourth grade, I probably would've thought it was very hep.

Posted by: POS | April 24, 2007 6:31 PM | Report abuse

For having 2 kids sure she looks good, for the average mom. Celebrity standards are higher, I'm not that impressed.

Posted by: cola | April 24, 2007 8:36 PM | Report abuse