Posted at 10:43 AM ET, 04/27/2007

Friday List: Rosie's Replacement?

By Liz Kelly

A "View" without Rosie O'Donnell is like a hot dog without mustard. Hmm. Or perhaps, it's like Pam Anderson without implants. No, that's not quite right either. I've got it: "The View" without Rosie O'Donnell is like a sedate, estrogen-dominated yawnfest without a perky lesbian known for speaking her mind. In other words, it's about to get boring again.

Earlier this week, O'Donnell, citing unsuccessful contract negotiations with ABC, said she'll be leaving the confines of the coffee klatch in June. Barbara Walters struck an appropriately wistful tone, saying she felt bad for dragging O'Donnell back to TV in the first place. Joy Behar stuck with her well-worn post-menopausal arch pose, wondering how Donald Trump would get any press without Rosie around to kick. And Elizabeth Hasselbeck, who over the eight months she's sat across from O'Donnell has become something of a right-wing nemesis, managed to look smug, triumphant and radioactive orange (no doubt, thanks to a recent fake bake) all at once.

Beyond a planned summer cruise and her self-indulgent blogging, O'Donnell's career course has yet to be charted.

(All photos AP -- except Rita Cosby, courtesy Fox News)

Today, though, we apply ourselves to the task of virtual talent scouting. Barbara Walters will no doubt be relieved when, by the end of the day, we are able to deliver to her a comprehensive list of potential replacements for Rosie.

No one is off limits. The only requirement is that our replacements return a sense of balance to the table while goosing the format a bit. Without O'Donnell and Star Jones Reynolds (who still hasn't been replaced, either), the show is in grave danger of veering into irrelevancy (again).

Some suggestions have already been floated: Kathie Lee Gifford, Connie Chung, Joan Rivers, Whoopi Goldberg, Soledad O'Brien, Rita Crosby and even Alec Baldwin and "Idol" reject Sanjaya Malakar.

Share your write-in candidates below. By COB, I'll fire off our list to the execs at ABC (who will surely put off an early Friday exodus to their Hamptons manses to await our input).

By Liz Kelly  | April 27, 2007; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  TV
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Baldwin Gets a Little Help from Dr. Phil
Next: Morning Mix: Boy George Arrested for Allegedly 'Kidnapping' Male Escort

Comments

Wasn't Rosie hired before Meredith Viera got the NBC job? That would make her Star Reynolds' replacement. You know, the seat reserved for obnoxious self-promoters.

Since they did the former comedien thing with Rosie, that leaves out Carrot Top. Besides, can you imagine a guy on that show? He would be virtually emasculated in nothing flat by those harpies.

Posted by: ep | April 27, 2007 10:55 AM | Report abuse

Does it have to be a woman? I vote for Gilbert Gottfried. He's weird, quirky, and would definitely say plenty of off-color things to keep Babs on her toes.

Posted by: charlietown | April 27, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

The only people with the chops to replace Rosie on the View:

1. Vergie Arthur
2. Sandy Bullock's Stalker
3. Sanjaya's Dope-Growing Mom
4. Phil Spector
5. Ann Coulter

Posted by: Larry | April 27, 2007 11:04 AM | Report abuse

Fox News announced their "Viewer's Choice" pick to replace Rosie was Ann Coulter. Repulsive.

Posted by: JP | April 27, 2007 11:06 AM | Report abuse

2 words.... Delta Burke.

Posted by: BF | April 27, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

ep, Rosie was Meredith's replacement, what she said was they still have not found Star's replacement, not that Rosie was Star's replacement. Please read carefully before you post.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2007 11:10 AM | Report abuse

Can't think of a soul. As soon as I begin to consider someone I'd watch (Whoopi, for example) I realize I wouldn't wish that on anyone. At all. Ever. Even the over-exposed (and over-just-about-everything and just so over Joan Rivers).

Couldn't we just let the show die? Please?

Really. Please can we?

Posted by: toomuchcaffeine | April 27, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

I nominate Dixie Carter.

Posted by: MW | April 27, 2007 11:11 AM | Report abuse

Who on earth cares anymore?

Posted by: SoMD | April 27, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I love the idea of Whoopi Goldberg, I think she would be fantastic. Has anyone approached Campbell Brown - although I fear (please no!) that she may be a republican..and they already have thier token female republican. But it would be great if they replace hassleback with brown. WAIT...why don't we replace ALL of them. The new line-up should be:

Whoopi Goldberg (Left wing Commedienne)
Campbell Brown (Level headed Republican)
Dame Judy Dench (Grand Dame to oversee/Post Menopause rep)
Mia Hamm - (Everygirl/mom/real world)
Joss Stone - Youth perspective (did you see her interview yesterday - too cute!)

Potential substitutes/regular fill ins: Tina Fey, Drew Barrymore, Connie Chung, Soledad O'Brien, Roseanne, Helen Mirran, Melissa Ethridge...

I would totally tivo that show.

Posted by: navybrat | April 27, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

I don't even own a TV, never saw The View, but whatever. WHOOPI GOLDBERG is the only option.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

My vote is for TYRA! She's trying to do it all anyway and has an ego as big as Rosie.

Posted by: SJ | April 27, 2007 11:13 AM | Report abuse

ha ha - of course i meant as big as Rosie's ego. or did i?

Posted by: SJ | April 27, 2007 11:18 AM | Report abuse

Danny DeVito! Just get him drunk every one in a while to keep the ratings up.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2007 11:20 AM | Report abuse

Ross the Intern (from the Tonight Show)
Big P*@#y ( from the Sopranos, but he may have to change his name for daytime)

Posted by: Lisa1 | April 27, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Do the anonymous person who corrected me, just because Liz, who is usually right on, says something does not make it true. I was corrected HER in a polite way by questioning the timing.

Posted by: ep | April 27, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

Kirstie Alley - loud, proud & confrontational, not to mention a world-class self-promoter

Posted by: KiKi | April 27, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Michelle Malkin, but only if she wears her cheerleading outfit for every show.

I still would never watch it, because I hate talk shows, especially ones where everybody talks at once and yells.

Posted by: b | April 27, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

My vote is for WHOOPI GOLDBERG. Did you see how she was able to get her point across without offending anyone....and she's funny as all get out!!!

Posted by: cj | April 27, 2007 11:45 AM | Report abuse

Whoopi Golderg, Roseanne Barr, and while I love the idea of having Drew Barrymore on because I like her, I wouldn't kill her career like that. The other two have a leg to stand on and I haven't seen them in anything in a while (which is a shame, because frankly I like the fact that they're willing to speak their minds and better yet they're willing to stand by their opinions for better or worse frm what I've seen).

Posted by: My votes eho others'.... | April 27, 2007 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Sandra Bernhart(sp?) Although I don't think she's as much of a pain as Rosie but she is a loud mouth.

Posh Spice Beckham, she could give Hasselbeck and everyone else an icy cold stare when she doesn't like what they've said.

charlietown,

I think the man you're referring to is Hamish. Can't remember his last name for anything but he would be great.

Posted by: petal | April 27, 2007 11:53 AM | Report abuse

Judi Dench??????!?!? For shame! Dame Judi is too good to be on the same continent as 'The View'.

Since she came here to be a big star, I nominate Victoria Beckham.

Posted by: tamerlane | April 27, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

I like some of the women mentioned already:
Roseanne Barr
Sandra Bernhardt
Whoopi Goldberg
Joan Rivers

Also, to replace Star Jones:
Wanda Sykes
RuPaul

Posted by: CJB | April 27, 2007 12:05 PM | Report abuse

Megan Mullahy...never saw her solo show, but strikes me as someone who could direct a good conversation nonetheless.

Posted by: ckf | April 27, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Clay Aiken! It would be great to get a guy on the show, and he's intelligent, humorous and definitely not afraid to speak his mind.

Posted by: Amanda | April 27, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Ohhh, I like the Kirstie Alley suggestion. But I also think Mia Hamm is a good nom, since she'll bring the median age down a fair bit and actually puts some soccer into soccer mom.

Posted by: 23112 | April 27, 2007 12:12 PM | Report abuse

Kathy Griffin! She's hilarious and Babwa hates her. You know you'd tune in for that, don't even lie, y'all.

Posted by: um | April 27, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

donnie osmond

Posted by: megadork | April 27, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

It can't be Rita Cosby because she is only shot from the waist up.

Posted by: C. | April 27, 2007 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Love the wanda sykes suggestion! The more I think about it, the more I think they should completely ditch the current format and get a whole new cast.

Posted by: navy brat | April 27, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

I like the idea of a male (not that I ever watch this show). How about Rupert Everett?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2007 12:25 PM | Report abuse

how is ann coulter any worse than rosie? That is a poor choice anyway... it would be the same show, the outrageous comments would just be slanted the other way. Any show that has to rely on shock-jock tactics for ratings isn't worth my time anyway, so I don't care.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2007 12:29 PM | Report abuse

How about the current Mrs. Cruise or maybe the almost ex-Mrs. McCartney? We could happily watch either of them melt away and disappear forever . . .

Posted by: Fairfax | April 27, 2007 12:33 PM | Report abuse

Margaret Cho
Julia Sweeney
Bette Midler

Posted by: MaryB | April 27, 2007 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Sherri Shepherd made for a great fill-in on the show before. I nominate her.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2007 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Soledad O'Brien would not be a good replacement - she has no original opinions of her own.

Posted by: Janny | April 27, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

How about the latest of Mrs. The Donald? That way Trump could get his name mentioned with the reverence he thinks he deserves. He's going to need something since his show has pretty well tanked.

Posted by: pnina | April 27, 2007 12:46 PM | Report abuse

Never seen it, don't really care, but put on Sarah Silverman or Jenny McCarthy and I might watch it for the car-crash factor.

Posted by: Jaybob | April 27, 2007 12:47 PM | Report abuse

Donna Hanover (ex-wife of Rudy Giuliani), Margaret Cho, Megan Mullaly or Valerie Bertinelli.

Posted by: Baltimore | April 27, 2007 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert Gottfried, brillant. Unfortunately, he will never get the gig.

Posted by: Irish_Ed | April 27, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Martha... no, wait, Nancy Grace. Yeah, Nancy, I love her.

Posted by: Blanch Dubois | April 27, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

WHOOPI GOLDBURG
JACKIE REED (HAS ALREADY APPEARED ON THE SHOW AS A GUEST)
ROSEANNE BARR
SANDRA BERNHARDT

ALL GREAT CHOICES!!!

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2007 12:52 PM | Report abuse

Connie Chung -- did you see the clips from her last show with Maury? She pulled out some wacky stuff.
How about Alexis Arquette?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2007 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Such a shame we just lost Kitty Carlisle Hart. She could have put the whole bloody lot of them down while exuding such class that not even Babs would dare fume.

If Alec Baldwin is on the list to replace Rosie, then the other slot should be filled by Kim Basinger, of course. ::ducking for cover::

Susan Lucci? Tipper Gore? Elaine Stritch?

Actually, I think I like the suggestions of Delta Burke and Dixie Carter.

Posted by: Tim | April 27, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Victoria Beckham

Posted by: g | April 27, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

I nominate that we reanimate the corpse of Jerry Orbach.

Lenny Briscoe for Rosie's Replacement '07!!!

Posted by: Pompous Magnus | April 27, 2007 12:57 PM | Report abuse

Two words...
Gwen Iffill

Posted by: ef8 | April 27, 2007 1:02 PM | Report abuse

I'd really like to see a woman of color on the panel, preferably someone with a background in journalism or business. Someone like Lisa Ling, though I know she had the gig previously. They need somebody who's intellectually sharp yet is also grounded. What about Gayle King? I think she'd be great fit.

Posted by: vjl | April 27, 2007 1:04 PM | Report abuse

My vote would be for Janeane Garofalo -- She would replace Rosie as a liberal voice to balance against the conservative views of Elisabeth. Also, she is extremely articulate and would be a nice deadpan presence to balance against high-energy Joy.

Posted by: Delancey916 | April 27, 2007 1:07 PM | Report abuse

Annie Potts
Jean Smart

I was noticing a "Designing Women" trend a few posts ago. just kidding. sort of.

but I think Meschach Taylor probably needs a job...

Posted by: KI | April 27, 2007 1:11 PM | Report abuse

Ditto to many (but not all) of the above suggestions. I don't watch the show right now, but there would be about a 10% better chance I would watch with:
Whoopi
Roseanne
Jeaneane Garofolo
Wanda Sykes
Jenny McCarthy
Kathy Griffin

I also want to add Brett Butler to the list.

And George Clooney. Who wouldn't watch that?

Posted by: Heather | April 27, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I loved these suggestions:
Kathy Griffin
Jenny McCarthy
Alexi Arquette
Gilbert Gottfried

The View absolutely sucks and has for a long time. I hate all the squabbling!!!

They should just sack the old bags and that young twerp and get some funny, entertaining, off-beat people in their seats.

Posted by: Sasha | April 27, 2007 1:17 PM | Report abuse

I'd vote for Megan Mullally or Jeneane Garafolo too. Since "The View" is supposed to be women's views, I think that should rule out Donny Osmond and Clay Aiken, though they are both cuties and have better than average male understanding of women.

Posted by: hosaa_joy | April 27, 2007 1:20 PM | Report abuse

How about Mary Cheney.

Posted by: pkhoepner | April 27, 2007 1:22 PM | Report abuse

or Urvashi Vaid?

Posted by: pkhoepner | April 27, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Space Ghost is the obvious choice. He would really bring in the 'wake-n-bake' demographic

Posted by: zorak | April 27, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

How about rotating in Democratic presidential hopefuls?

I saw the picture of the Dem confab after the debate and thought to myself, "How can we get these folks onto American Idol instead of cable access?

Posted by: Dave R | April 27, 2007 1:29 PM | Report abuse

Dream Cast:

Janeane Garafalo
Margaret Cho
Kathy Griffin
Whoopi Goldberg
Elisabeth (whatever, she can stay)
AND..
that ubercatty gay guy from Joan & Melissa's just cancelled red carpet show.

Posted by: um | April 27, 2007 1:30 PM | Report abuse

Karen Valentine
Barbara Feldon
Tina Louise
Mary Ann Mobley

Just put the four of them together on a couch and bag the current lineup entirely.

Posted by: TD | April 27, 2007 1:33 PM | Report abuse

Kirstie Alley
Jeneane Garafolo
Hillary Clinton
Abe Vigoda
Andrew 'Dice' Clay

Posted by: Kim | April 27, 2007 1:34 PM | Report abuse

How about the author, Kitty Kelley? She's good with finding dirt on people and can talk and talk and talk.....

Posted by: LV | April 27, 2007 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Or change the show's name to "A Room with The View," keep Barbara Walters and add:

Maggie Smith
Judi Dench
Helena Bonham Carter

Posted by: TD | April 27, 2007 1:36 PM | Report abuse

Gayle King needs the jobs so she can pay Oprah back for the money she borrowed over the years.

Posted by: Lisa1 | April 27, 2007 1:38 PM | Report abuse

Liz writes:
"I've got it: "The View" without Rosie O'Donnell is like a sedate, estrogen-dominated yawnfest without a perky lesbian known for speaking her mind. In other words, it's about to get boring again."

I guess some people ARE entertained by people who use racial slurs (remember Rosie's rascist imitation of "Asian" speak?), which explains why Rosie has stayed on the air so long. The fact that Rosie did not get slammed for that incident, while Michael Richards was slammed (rightfully) shows the place of Asian-Americans in our thoughts about racism: they don't matter.

Why doesn't anyone make more noise about Rosie's rascism? Liz? Anyone?

Posted by: Why Give Rosie a Pass? | April 27, 2007 1:43 PM | Report abuse

It was talked about on the radio this morning and the name that continued to circulate was Katie Curic. She is last in the rating with CBS News and will be out of a job pretty soon. Her salary will be about the same as Rosie's. She has good opinions and has the contacts to get all kinds of good guests. She would play well with BABWA.

Posted by: MIkeymike | April 27, 2007 1:45 PM | Report abuse

How about Paula Poundstone? She cracks me up.

Posted by: nprgirl | April 27, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

Borat - dressed up as a woman.

Posted by: Pinky | April 27, 2007 1:47 PM | Report abuse

rosies' comments weren't racist. they were boorish, stupid, at worst insensitive (but who could be sensitive about someting so childishly dumb). ultimately revealing more about her own ignorance of other cultures than anything else. 'ching chong' says nothing negative or hateful about Asians.

I imagine Rosie to have bad body odor. her comments are like that: offensive to others but not about the people she is offending.

Posted by: osull1va | April 27, 2007 1:50 PM | Report abuse

tina fey, margaret cho, and whoopi. perfect counterpoints to the orange-glow set.

Posted by: imrhyming | April 27, 2007 1:53 PM | Report abuse

Liz,

The modifier "self-indulgent" is completely unnecessary in front of the word "blogging." What other kind is there, really?

Posted by: Nate | April 27, 2007 1:56 PM | Report abuse

Paul Wolfowitz is probably going to be looking for steady work soon. I can't think of anyone more qualified to hold forth on topics like "Celebrity Kitchen Makeovers" and "Summer Movie Preview." Plus, he'd be perfect if they ever do a "Help, my husband/boyfriend keeps trying to reshape geopolitics" special.

Posted by: Brian | April 27, 2007 2:10 PM | Report abuse

elizabeth kucinich! she's intelligent, politically active, and cute as a button

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2007 2:19 PM | Report abuse

Lauren Bacall, she would kick all their asses to the curb
Bette Midler
Jeneane Garafolo

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2007 2:31 PM | Report abuse

I second Megan Mullally, but only if she's in her "Karen" persona from "Will & Grace."

Posted by: Jen | April 27, 2007 2:33 PM | Report abuse

Tiger Woods

Posted by: Phil | April 27, 2007 2:34 PM | Report abuse

/bye! Rosie is just a blowhard to be ignored, if not pitied. There are scores of other awesome, independent minded women out there who at least know what they're talking about. They could bring fresh air to the yawnfest you described without the slovenly tirades Rosie brings wherever she tramples.

Posted by: hillrat | April 27, 2007 2:54 PM | Report abuse

to whoever suggested either RuPaul or Megan Mullally - brilliant. I actually see them fitting right in!

Posted by: WOW | April 27, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Tony Kornheiser

Posted by: Kim | April 27, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

David Spade! yes, for at least a week

Posted by: obviously not all here | April 27, 2007 2:58 PM | Report abuse

Gotta go with Norm MacDonald. Seeing how he was responsible for the only entertaining 12 minutes in the history of the show.

Talk about a perfect foil for Elizabeth Hasslebeck. You wouldn't watch that? Plus he'd probably take the job because its not like hes doing anything else these days.

Posted by: Norm Fan | April 27, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

I agree that Sherri Shepherd was the best guest co-host The View had so far. She's so funny, down to earth, real and says what the average person is thinking in the funniest way possible. I would watch anything she is on!

Posted by: Gabe | April 27, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Gwen Ifil? come on, she's much too intellectual not to mention smarter than the rest of them put together. I did like the idea of Margaret Cho, she would be great...I may even actually watch.

Posted by: dym | April 27, 2007 3:07 PM | Report abuse

I love the RuPaul idea. Hey what happened to the man version of the view with Danny Bonaducci (sp?) and Mario Lopez?

Posted by: SJ | April 27, 2007 3:10 PM | Report abuse

Yep, Sherri Shepard. She is a normal (i.e. not mega-star), single mom paying alimony to the ex-husband that she caught cheating on her. And she is HI-larious about that, her weight, politics and life in general. Plus, she supports spanking as discipline--I absolutely don't--but talk about diversity of perspective.

She would keep me watching what had become a train wreck before Rosie showed up.

Posted by: Jill | April 27, 2007 3:18 PM | Report abuse

Kim Basinger
Donatella Versace
Joanne Lumley as "Patsy"
Dame Edna or other large man in drag
Nancy Reagan

That should restore the "ICK!" factor.

Posted by: POS | April 27, 2007 3:20 PM | Report abuse

Max Headroom

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2007 3:34 PM | Report abuse

Ann Coulter is the only choice -- doesn't ABC and Barbara Walters want to continue with loud-mouth, vulgar, mean and nasty, know-nothings?

Posted by: Colorado Kool Aid | April 27, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

"Or, how about that guy from Barney's who is always on VH1 I love the 80's? I can't remember his name, but he is British, gay, and VERY catty. He'd be the perfect foil to that right-wing blonde fake tan girl."

I think you're thinking of Simon Doonan

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Our very own Pookie, Lisa de Moraes!!!

(Although she said on today's chat that she favors Whoopi Goldberg).

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2007 4:06 PM | Report abuse

I haven't had a chance to read thru all the other posts--has anyone suggested ROSEANNE BARR yet?

Or Bonnie Hunt? (Not Helen--Bonnie.)

Posted by: sen | April 27, 2007 4:09 PM | Report abuse

donald rumsfeld

Posted by: frieda406 | April 27, 2007 4:14 PM | Report abuse

Bonnie Hunt would be wonderful! Wish I'd thought of her.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

what about Tyra Reid? she could bring down the median age of the group, she's typically drunk and would say funny inane things that would piss of Joy and/or Hasselback, and she's hot to look at. would get me to watch it.

Posted by: HS | April 27, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

a high paula abdul.

obviously

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2007 4:21 PM | Report abuse

Monica Lewinsky
Tonya Harding
Anna Nicole's Mom
Pricilla Presley
Paris Hilton
OJ Simpson's ex sister-in-law
Laci Patterson's mom

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2007 4:24 PM | Report abuse

I could watch a high paula abdul babble on and giggle about nothing for an hour every day.

Posted by: Great Idea! | April 27, 2007 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Cancel the show. PLEASE. And never let Rosie O*Donnell appear in public again - anywhere, ever. Or speak either. She has the ugliest mouth and the most grating voice. And she*s ugly. While you*re at it, cancel Oprah, too. Too many fat women talking too much as if anyone cares what they think.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 27, 2007 4:34 PM | Report abuse

i came in here thinking 'Sandra Bernhardt' - because i REALLY want that smarmy blonde idiot to explode

Posted by: Quintilius Varus | April 27, 2007 4:39 PM | Report abuse

the view w/out rosie isn't like a hot dog w/out mustard, it's like mustard w/out the hot dog.

Posted by: methinks | April 27, 2007 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Tina Fey
Rachel Harris
Steven "Cojo" Cojocaru

Posted by: KI | April 27, 2007 4:45 PM | Report abuse

Tori Spelling and/or Tara Reid...they would say really stoooopid stuff that would make the other 3 materialistic snobs cringe and the rest of us down to earth people laugh.

Posted by: sickofRosie | April 27, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Laura Bush
Dolly Parton

Posted by: R | April 27, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

Yes, thank you, I think that guy from VH1 and Barney's is Simon Doonan. Hilarious, snooty, and always has a spot-on snarky comment for every situation. And looks FABULOUS doing it.

Space Ghost! HA! I snorted diet pepsi through my nose on that one.

Inspired choices would be Kathie Griffin, Margaret Cho, or best yet, Wanda Sykes. Jeneane Garofalo would be too combative, as in someone would actually be the recipient of a violent beating (obviously it would be right-wing blondie).

Posted by: charlietown | April 27, 2007 5:06 PM | Report abuse

Although the network probably wouldn't go for a "woman of a certain age" because of wanting to skew the show younger, Carol Burnett or Betty White would be great choices and, I think, would appeal to viewers of all ages. But I know that network execs don't seem open to the possibility that an older celeb could draw a younger audience.

Posted by: Baltimore | April 27, 2007 5:23 PM | Report abuse

Charles Manson

Posted by: MtMav | April 27, 2007 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Roseanne Barr....

Posted by: GG | April 27, 2007 6:45 PM | Report abuse

My votes:

Kathie Lee Gifford
Roseanne
Dixie Carter
Bea Arthur
Betty White
Rue McLanahan
Marlo Thomas

Posted by: Donna | April 27, 2007 7:24 PM | Report abuse

None other than Gene Weingarten... with a voice modulation machine.

Really, are there any other good choices?

Posted by: SJK222 | April 27, 2007 7:41 PM | Report abuse

End this liberal yenta-fest. The show needs another conservative to balance the other three liberal high-school only educated airheads. Bring in Laura Ingram to put them in their place.

Posted by: kevin | April 27, 2007 8:15 PM | Report abuse

Don Imus would be a great replacement.

Posted by: Unkle Cracker | April 27, 2007 10:59 PM | Report abuse

Let's hear it for Lauren Bacall, Dixie Carter or Diane Keaton. Classy, elegant babes with brains!!

Posted by: Maye | April 28, 2007 2:07 AM | Report abuse

How about Don Imus? He's looking.

Posted by: (Time&)SpaceMonkey | April 28, 2007 9:20 AM | Report abuse

Oh, sorry, Uncle Cracker already did the Imus joke.

Uhmmm....new guess....uhmmm...Ellen DeGeneres? Too soft?

Roseanne Cherrie Barr has the crude, tough B part down but is she smart enough? I think not.

Whoopi has the stuff but is so sanctimonious and annoying - like fingernails on a chalkboard.

I guess Rosie is irreplaceable! Have to cancel the program then.

Posted by: Ol' Space Monk | April 28, 2007 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Of course! Barbara Streisand. You can annoint me later, I'm getting a rubdown.

Posted by: Space Monkey | April 28, 2007 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Wanda Sykes has my vote, but would she leave LA?

Cybil Shepherd

Santino Rice
Isaac Mizrahi
Sarah Ferguson
Tiffany Pollard
Kathy Lee Gifford

Posted by: Auntie Matter | April 28, 2007 10:35 PM | Report abuse

A large brown bag with two eye-holes and call her/him the unknown Viewee.

Posted by: jswallow | April 28, 2007 10:38 PM | Report abuse

While I'm at it, I'll add these to my list:

Bette Midler
Margaret Cho
Monica Lewinsky
Tracy Ullman
Mia Farrow
Angelina Jolie
Simon Doonan
Jonathan Adler

Posted by: Auntie Matter | April 28, 2007 11:37 PM | Report abuse

Roseanne Barr: She's the only one who's gutsy enough and funny enough to fill Rosie's shoes.

Posted by: jy | April 29, 2007 4:57 AM | Report abuse

Please - perky lesbian? You forget that Rosie already had her own show. She's already been around the block. Perky she is not. Loud, abrasive and got an axe to grind about a trillion little heterosexual issues that put a wild hair up her buttocks - yes, that would be Rosie.
Any, I repeat ANY, replacement will be refreshing if they are heterosexual, non-man hating and can refrain from talking about their butch experiences as head of household with toddlers conceived from only God knows where.
Had it with Rosie. Had it with the freakish liberal 'give the little woman a platform to speak her mind' attitude. Little woman she is not. Big and butch she always will be (with help from the network costume department, she tones it down for the public!)

Posted by: Anonymous | April 29, 2007 7:25 AM | Report abuse

The day Rosie leaves is the last day I will watch the show. I stopped watching when Star was preparing for the wedding of the year. I started watching when Rosie was hired and never stopped. She is bright and funny. I don't agree with everything she says but I admire her passion and candor. No matter who they hire they will not be given the freedom that Rosie was given and the show will go back to BORING!

Posted by: Carol | April 29, 2007 8:25 AM | Report abuse

Arianna Huffington

Posted by: Eric J. Fitch | April 29, 2007 12:48 PM | Report abuse

I believe they need a man and Ambassador Wolfowitz may be available soon. If not him, how about his bunk buddy, Ms. Riza?

Posted by: Rev. Findlay Longstaffe | April 29, 2007 2:45 PM | Report abuse

Rosie is the only one in the MSM bringing up subjects that are otherwise repressed. She's not just speaking her mind, she's speaking the truth. The truth so many Americans are still in denial about, that 911 was an inside job. That our country wasn't attacked from outside by terrorists, but from the inside, by a criminal cabal whose agenda has nothing to do with the good of the American people. Rosie is standing up for her country, and she is taking the same flack Jane Fonda did over the Vietnam War. History will make these women heroines of their time, because they are helping us to awaken and change. Because they are right.

Posted by: shaman7214@sbcglobal.net | April 29, 2007 2:48 PM | Report abuse

Why not let him see if he could do it any better for half a year.

Posted by: Donald Trump | April 29, 2007 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Donald Trump. See if he could do it better for half a year.

Posted by: adrienne | April 29, 2007 5:56 PM | Report abuse

How about Satan?

Posted by: Anonymous | April 30, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Rosie replacing Rosie would be perfect! They both have the same opinionated yet comedic view!!!

Posted by: Roseanne Barr | May 1, 2007 10:42 PM | Report abuse

I personally feel that Roseanne Barr would be the perfect replacement for Rosie O' Donnell. Roseanne has much more spark for television audiences and her personality is so relateable to others. I discovered Roseanne after her own talk show had already gone off the air and I would love to see her have her own show again. I adore Roseanne, she is the only person on television that I truly relate too, admire, and have upmost respect for.

Posted by: Melissa L.Gowans | May 4, 2007 10:45 AM | Report abuse

most everyone I personally know stopped watching The View after Rosie started slamming every celebrity out there.I believe in free speech and different points of view. I also believe in tact and a hint of politeness coupled with some intelligence. Whoopi would be awesome to preplace Rosie. Shes confident, funny, and gets her points across without the shock jock attitude. I understand though, some people live for that stuff...the same people,no doubt, who buy tabloids.

Posted by: Barbara | May 9, 2007 9:09 AM | Report abuse

We love Rosie! No one can replace her! She said that she doesn't want a three year contract, so put her on the show when she's willing and available.

When she's not available, we love watching and listening to 1)Drew Barrymore, 2) Sherri Shepherd, 3) Roseanne Barr.

Posted by: np | May 11, 2007 8:46 PM | Report abuse