Posted at 4:33 PM ET, 10/ 1/2007

Breaking News: Britney Loses Custody -- Your Take?

By Liz Kelly

Spears at the Sept. 1 opening of Las Vegas nightclub LAX. (AP)

The Associated Press is reporting that Britney Spears has to turn over custody of her children to Kevin Federline by Wednesday:

Superior Court Judge Scott M. Gordon ruled that Federline will take custody of Sean Preston, 2, and Jayden James, 1, beginning Wednesday "until further order of the court."

Details are scant, but People.com reports that Gordon issued the written decision after lawyers met with him in a private session requested by Federline's lawyer. TMZ.com is reporting that Spears was again ordered to take parenting classes and submit to drug testing.

No reason was included in the judge's written decision and we're obviously still waiting for more details to trickle out. Spears was spotted at Malibu eatery Taverna Tony's on Sunday with her sons.

E! News Online adds that "sources familiar with the case" say Spears lost custody after she was spotted driving her kids around Los Angeles over the weekend, less than two weeks after she was cited for driving without a license:

The California DMV has Spears listed as an unlicensed driver in the state. Furthermore, authorities believe Spears's driver's license from her home state of Louisiana has expired. (Update: E! is now reporting that Spears holds a valid Louisiana driver's license through 2009.)

What do you think?

Updated, 5:36 p.m. ET

By Liz Kelly  | October 1, 2007; 4:33 PM ET
Categories:  Britney Spears, Celebrities
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Britney: Just a Gum Blonde
Next: Morning Mix: After Surrendering Kids, Spears Tans

Comments

How is Kevin any better for the kids than brittney?

Posted by: ah | October 1, 2007 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: toomuchcaffeine | October 1, 2007 4:56 PM | Report abuse

I'm just hopeful that without the baggage of those kids, she'll be able to return to all her old crazy tricks.

Posted by: OD | October 1, 2007 5:01 PM | Report abuse

You know, it's not like the Judge did not make it clear what she had to do to keep the kids. The rules were actually pretty simple -- no drugs, no drinking, strap the kids in properly. This is BASIC parenting. She CHOOSE not to do these things (possibly, we don't why she lost custody).

Posted by: ep | October 1, 2007 5:03 PM | Report abuse

In terms of the welfare of the children, it seems like they've gone from out of the frying pan straight into the skillet.

Posted by: Cliff | October 1, 2007 5:08 PM | Report abuse

re: the poll, there are 4.66 people that actually thinks she should keep her kids? Really? Obviously these 4.66 people can't be regular celebritology readers.

Now when will the SPCA come in a rescue the animals?

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2007 5:09 PM | Report abuse

I'd love to think that this will make her realize she's a disastrous mess and bring on a serious attempt to straighten up, but I bet it's just making her curse K-Fed and his lawyers.

Posted by: h3 | October 1, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

Ah, you ask how K-Fed's any better? When has he shown that he's not? The paps follow him around almost as much as they do Brit now, so if he was out partying all the time we'd know. According to the judge he's the best parent. Why is it so hard to believe that he really does love his kids?

As for Brit, you're a mom now, you need to grow up and act like it. That means getting help if you need it, staying home every once in awhile, strapping the kids into carseats, etc.

This entire situation is a shame because the only two that lose out are those kids.

Posted by: My Two Cents | October 1, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

It seems to me what Britney is addicted to is immature behavior and attention. She's like the little girl in Kindergarten who is always lifting her skirt because it makes the teacher mad.
Why couldn't she just take the money, invest it somewhere other than LA and settle down? She could have opened a high-colonic spa!

Posted by: POS | October 1, 2007 5:16 PM | Report abuse

It's a sad day when K-Fed is considered the better parent. My, oh my, Britney, you've fallen so far. You have to be a truly horrible parent for the judge to decide K-Fed is the better choice.

Posted by: Ryan | October 1, 2007 5:19 PM | Report abuse

HA-ha! *points* Train. Wreck.

And yes, I DO think that Federline is going to be the better parent. He may have been a cheeseball (or worse) back in the day, but let's say it together:

A Person Can Change.

But Britney hasn't.

Posted by: 23112 | October 1, 2007 5:21 PM | Report abuse

So Popo-Zao is supposed to be a good father? When have you ever seen him with his OTHER kids? When have you ever heard him fighting for custody of his OTHER kids? Yeah - I'm sure he just LOVE being a daddy. If Shar Jackson ended up on a hot TV show and was making a rack of money he'd probably LOVE being a daddy to his other kids too. Puh-leez Federline.... get a clue.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2007 5:25 PM | Report abuse

I truly believe that K-Fed's sole motivation for getting custody was child support. Not saying that he's going to be a bad parent, I hope he isn't, but I guess compared to Britney, he would be considered the better parent.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2007 5:30 PM | Report abuse

WHO GIVES A RATS A$$ DAMN?????!!!!

Posted by: T. Williams | October 1, 2007 5:36 PM | Report abuse

Seriously, what has K-fed done that was so terrible? So he left Shar when she was pregnant. We don' know how much time he spends with that kid. He probably did not have to fight for custody with Shar because Shar is a good mom so the kid is safe with her. When Brit was melting down, K-Fed cancelled a trip to Vegas to take care of the kids. People just see him as a golddigger, but as far as the safety of the kids are concerned, I choose K-fed.

Posted by: ep | October 1, 2007 5:37 PM | Report abuse

I think this is a good decision. Obviously Brit didn't want the kids based on her behavior.

As far as her falling, I never understood why she was considered to be so great in the first place. To me, her recent behavior is just her showing her true colors, in that she is going so far to prove that she's just a regular young woman who is spreading her wings. For so long, she's been under scruitiny, and having to live up to an image that really wasn't her true self. I hope she stays safe, but continues to express herself. It took a special kind of courage to do things like shave her head and dive in the ocean wearing her skivvies.

Maybe now she can find out who she really is and be happy with herself.

Posted by: YourStrawberry23 | October 1, 2007 5:45 PM | Report abuse

I vote with the reader from a few weeks ago who said that Brit-Brit probably wanted to lose the kids, at least on an unconscious level - why else play so fast and loose with the rules?

I know that everyone will snow back that this is what stars do, that she is a natural defier of rules, etc. But in the past she has proven pretty adept at working the system. How else do you explain her "career"?

Sex sex and promotional stunts, played up and through a media she played... well, like (name your instrument that she doesn't play).

Posted by: Bogota | October 1, 2007 5:48 PM | Report abuse

wow. i'm proud of the judge.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2007 5:50 PM | Report abuse

that piece of trash called twitney hasnt learned anything.

all she thinks and cares about is herself - she partoes, drinks and takes drugs over and over again and obviusly doesnt give a toss about her kids. if the judge that kfed was no good as a parent then he woulds have passed them over to members of the family like brits mother - who by the thinks that she is s slag

Posted by: gottahatespears | October 1, 2007 5:53 PM | Report abuse

it would be so nice if people who are clearly unable to take care of kids didn't have them in the first place. but, you don't need a license, so anybody can bring children into this world. neither parent in this case is worthy or able of taking care of two kids. all i have to say is poor kids!

Posted by: oy | October 1, 2007 6:04 PM | Report abuse

T. William, you obviously do, otherwise you wouldn't have even bothered with reading the article, let alone responding.

Posted by: Anonymous | October 1, 2007 6:34 PM | Report abuse

K Fed may well be a lousy husband and a publicity seeking hound, but there is nothing in the record to suggest he isn't a good dad. I suspect many of you who think he shouldn't get custody are simply sexist bigots who don't think Dads should ever have custody of their children. The rule should be 50/50 split between a mother and a father -- subject to the court's determination that one parent or the other is unfit. In this case the record is obvious -- Britney is not a good parent and should lose her custodial rights to make decisions for her children. She should get visitation -- supervised in her case since she seems to lack any semblence of good judgment -- but not custodial rights.

Posted by: colorado kool aid | October 1, 2007 6:41 PM | Report abuse

Those poor kids. Mommy driving dangerously with them and their faux-stubbled Daddy out attracting lightning with his cute earrings & rivaling Lorenzo Lamas in the knock-'em-up sweepstakes. What did Mickey Mouse do to those people, anyway? Some sort of rodent-to-human virus? Send the kids to Larry David, and Britney & Stanley Stubble to Cuba.

Posted by: sawargos | October 1, 2007 6:45 PM | Report abuse

Britney gave birth to her first in UCLA Santa Monica Hospital the day before my son was born. We also were supposed to go to UCLA Santa Monica but went to St. John's instead. I'm very glad that we missed the media circus that accompanied Britney launching her kid (Cletus Jr?) on an unsuspecting public.

It's a real shame that these kids are in the middle of two inept parents. I don't know that foster care in LA County is any better, but there has to be a better third option, doesn't there?

Posted by: Deanna | October 1, 2007 7:01 PM | Report abuse

Taking kids away from their mother is the very last resort -- possibly irreparable damage. What about joint custody?

Posted by: Reflection` | October 1, 2007 7:21 PM | Report abuse

well brit - we told ya it was coming...

now - get out those crocodile tears for the camera, but lose some weight first. 3 months with a physical trainer and some hard work and you'd be surprised how quickly you and the public will forget you ever had children...

Posted by: Quintilus Varus | October 1, 2007 7:24 PM | Report abuse

I wonder if she had a drug test come back positive? They already had 50/50 custody, so what ever she has done is pretty bad. Its possible the judge worries about the safety of the children

Also, I believe Shar Jackson has said that K-Fed is a very good dad, and her vote counts more than anyone talking about it.

One of the things he complains about is that when he gets the boys back they have no schedule, which is one of the most important aspects to a toddler's life, at least he gets what the need.

Posted by: MGC | October 1, 2007 7:41 PM | Report abuse

Just have some more kids, like, duh.

Posted by: SMACK | October 1, 2007 7:58 PM | Report abuse

I KNEW IT!!!!!!!
go K-Fed

Posted by: ami | October 1, 2007 8:05 PM | Report abuse

Thank god the exchange already happened, according to Poptarts at Foxnews (oh deal with it). She DROVE the kids to a designated meeting point and gave them to K-Fed's bodyguard. I was worried she was going to take them and run. As for turning over to a bodyguard, hey, he's a trusted individual and it avoids a confrontation between the parents that the boys do not need to witness.

Oh and the person who asked why not joint custody? that's what they had until this order. Twit knew it was on the line if she didn't straighten up.

Posted by: ep | October 1, 2007 8:13 PM | Report abuse

What's odd is that K-Fed only asked for 70/30, which means the judge really feels Brit is unfit because he gave K-Fed more than was asked for.

Posted by: MGC | October 1, 2007 8:43 PM | Report abuse

Well if she's got a valid license from any state it doesn't matter what California thinks. What weirdos who are involved in this case... I feel sorry for Britney. Taking her kids away will not help her mental state.

Posted by: Eric | October 1, 2007 10:11 PM | Report abuse

Poor kids. They didn't ask for this.

Now that the inevitable has transpired, Liz, can we please have a Britney-free day?

Posted by: renselaas | October 1, 2007 10:31 PM | Report abuse

It depends on the state. Most states require you to have a valid license in the state if you live in that state.

Posted by: state's issues | October 1, 2007 10:40 PM | Report abuse

Even Courtney Love, Michael Jackson, and Anna Nicole Smith managed to keep their children...

Posted by: Tirade | October 1, 2007 10:56 PM | Report abuse

As I rolled over this morning and looked into methinks' eyes, I wondered if Britney's night was as good as mine. Just as I feel liberated from my wife and daughter when I'm in methinks' arms, so must Ms. Brit-Brit feel liberated from her two "most adorable mistakes you ever did see."

Posted by: byoolin | October 2, 2007 7:07 AM | Report abuse

I imagine methinks' reaction to fake byoolin's comment is something right out of the lyrics to "Underwhelmed," by Sloan:

"She cursed me up and down and rolled her eyes/ her beautiful eyes."

Mostly, I'm just surprised fake b survived the encounter. WHAT DOES HE HAVE THAT I DON'T?!?!?!?

Posted by: byoolin | October 2, 2007 8:08 AM | Report abuse

lol, fake byoolin AND real byoolin

toomuchcaffeine said "Maybe it's just a Monday, but I'm thinking the two syllables at the beginning of your column's name have become superfluous. Consider me a former reader. (something I promised myself after the MTV coverage)"

Attention w.h.o.r.e. How much you wanna bet she came back to see the responses to her post. There were none. So, here, I'm throwing you a bone....

Posted by: Anonymous | October 2, 2007 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Having looked at your pics, methinks, I can't imagine methinks would react any differently to the fake byoolin as the real byoolin. Underwhelming in either case: the fiction is better than the fact.

Posted by: Anonymouse | October 2, 2007 9:01 AM | Report abuse

At this point, I'm wondering if she WANTS custody of her
kids. It almost seems like she's decided they're too much
responsibility, and she doesn't want to care for them, but
she doesn't want to be seen as giving up. So, she ignores
the fact that she's being subjected to random drug testing,
she's inviting photographers into public bathrooms, and the
like. Then, when the judge says "Kids must go to Kevin,"
she can use the "Mean ole Judge, it's not my fault!" excuse and
still get exactly what she wants.

Posted by: Organic Gal | October 2, 2007 10:28 AM | Report abuse

Personally i really dont give a hoot bout Kfed wanna be rap star i think that brittney can change if everybody would leave her alone and that one person that came on maury that is a true fan and i think everyone can change for a reason so that is my opinion.

Posted by: ebordayo | October 3, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse