Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 12/21/2007

Friday List: 2007's Top Celeb Surprises

By Liz Kelly

Jamie Lynn Spears's pregnancy was only the latest addition to a year rife with Celebritological surprises. Below, the Celebritology Field Agent Guild and I have compiled a list of the items we found most surprising over the last 12 months. Some are silly, some are serious -- all took us by surprise. The list is far from comprehensive, so add your own below.

Papa-wow! Kevin Federline. (AP)

* K-Fed -- he of the jaw-droppingly inept rap career and Britney's shadow -- emerges as a good parent (at least when compared with baby mamma Britney). He's got primary custody of kids Sean Preston and Jayden James while Brit continues her shame spiral.

* Jennifer Love Hewitt and Tyra Banks are fat? So sayeth some seriously dysmorphic "critics." Snark clearinghouse TMZ.com headlined one bikini shot of Hewitt "We know what you ate this summer, Love -- everything!" Nice.

* Tony Parker gets his rap on. Sure, he's on his game when it comes to basketball and Eva Longoria, but the Spur was seriously off course when he inflicted this on us:

* Snoop Dogg takes on "Father Hood." E! asks us to turn to the oft-arrested rapper as a model daddy in the new reality show.

* Sarah Michelle Gellar is Maxim magazine's Woman of the Year. Okay, we rarely agree with Maxim, but is a series of lingerie shots enough to usher the erstwhile "Buffy" back into relevance?

* Will Ferrell is a jerk? His outing as an ungracious autograph signer seemed somehow out of character from this "Landlord" (NSFW) mastermind.

Lindsay Lohan -- we know what killed her career. (AP)

* What could Lance Armstrong possibly do that would be sketchier than dumping Sheryl Crow suspiciously close to her announcement that she suffered from breast cancer? Strike up a brief romance with an Olsen twin, of course.

* Lindsay Lohan's "I Know Who Killed Me" already out on DVD?! I mean, usually when a film is surrounded by awards season buzz, it's re-released on the big screen. Weird.

Add your top surprises below...

Celebritology field agents Tanya Ballard, Christian Pelusi and Frank Thomason contributed to this report.

----
Note: That's it for 2007. Celebritology will be taking the next week to recharge for the coming year. See you here in 2008.

By Liz Kelly  | December 21, 2007; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Friday Lists
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Nickelodeon Mulls Teen Sex Special
Next: Morning Mix: Kidman & Aniston Not Pregnant, Say Reps

Comments

Shocker: Katie and Tom are still married.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | December 21, 2007 11:03 AM | Report abuse

Katie Holmes running the NYC Marathon was pretty surprising.

Posted by: toolio | December 21, 2007 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Without a doubt, Liz's tattoo was the most surprising Celebritology event of 2007.

Posted by: mrbill | December 21, 2007 11:12 AM | Report abuse

overly rich Hollywood chicas getting arrested for multiple DUI's and other driving offenses when they can more than afford a driver or even a taxi. Do they have taxis in Hollywood?

Posted by: no_bs_4_me | December 21, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Hmmmm, that's a tough one. I think finding out Nicole Richie was preggers caused the biggest jaw drop for me.

That and the image of Lisa Marie and her mom (at least I think that's the way it is). Oh the pain.

Oh yeah and the fact that attention hounds Eva and Tony are still being mentioned on anyone's list. Bet you they paid that model to make the claim.

Posted by: petal | December 21, 2007 11:34 AM | Report abuse

Bono, for no other reason than just being him. Can't think of a whole lot of other celebs that haven't done at least one bone headed thing this year, so props to Paul for just being a good guy.

JLS for being an ever worse golddiging, classes strumpet than her sister. Brit never specifically sold something that sordid to one of those rags.

Posted by: EricS | December 21, 2007 11:46 AM | Report abuse

What do celebritology field agents do? Is there a Starbucks-run bootcamp? Do they carry loaded cameras and wear disguises? Do they sleep with one eye open, watching E! news?

Posted by: Anonymous | December 21, 2007 11:57 AM | Report abuse

sherri shepherd.
who knew someone that ingnorant could draw a tv talk show salary?

Posted by: b | December 21, 2007 12:00 PM | Report abuse

No the shocking thing about Nicole's pregnancy was that it seems to have turned her into a somewhat responsible adult.

Fabio thinkig he could beat George Clooney in a fight. Also, that people cared that he was "feuding" with Clooney.

Posted by: ep | December 21, 2007 12:07 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | December 21, 2007 12:16 PM | Report abuse

"Maybe I'm jaded, but nothing celebrities did this year surprised me. Well maybe the Phil Spector mistrial."

Celebrities didn't do that. 13 California nutjob did.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 21, 2007 12:34 PM | Report abuse

I can't think of anything that really surprised me. Maybe Madonna joining the Pitt-Jolie International Adoption Club.

Happy Holidaze to all Celebritologists! See you all next year.

Posted by: sunnydaze | December 21, 2007 1:09 PM | Report abuse

i still for the life of me can't figure out why it took so long to find out that larry birkhead (thing 1) was the father of ANS's baby, rather than howard k. stern (thing 2). twas a puzzlement.

thanks for all the 2007 celebritology fun, liz kelly. enjoy your holiday. cheers to all!

Posted by: methinks | December 21, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Wait. "I know who killed me" was surrounded by award season buzz? Seriously??? Were you joking and I'm just too sleep-deprived to get it?

Posted by: arlington | December 21, 2007 1:19 PM | Report abuse

I think I have to second the Nicole Ritchie's conversion from vapid useless waste of space to fledgling decent human being.

Best holiday wishes, especially to Liz Kelly for keeping us in gossip. And of course onies-pay to one and all.

Posted by: jes | December 21, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Arlington - yeah, you definitely need more sleep. I recommend leaving work now and heading home for a nap.

Posted by: h3 | December 21, 2007 1:49 PM | Report abuse

Umm, back off SMG Liz. She has a bunch of projects opening this spring that were supposed to open this year - so Maxim probably booked the magazine shoot prior to the opening dates being pushed back. Plus you know how the Buffy fans get. =)

Posted by: Catherine | December 21, 2007 2:29 PM | Report abuse

the biggest celebritology celeb surprise for me is that we've gone a month without mentioning Courtney Love. Where's a crackpipe and a TMZ photog when you need one...

Posted by: Quintilus Varus | December 21, 2007 3:04 PM | Report abuse

2007: The Celebritology Year of the P0~y.

Posted by: Sasquatch | December 21, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

The Crow woman is no saint. She's left a lot of footprints on the backs of people who have helped her talentless-hack arse along. And then she's gone "who?"

A pox on her.

Posted by: scott | December 21, 2007 3:21 PM | Report abuse

ENOUGH with the friggin ponys!

Posted by: Geez | December 21, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

Why can't we mention ponys anymore?

Posted by: anony | December 21, 2007 4:58 PM | Report abuse

I was going to say that my top celeb surprise of 2007 was that Lindsey Lohan didn't somehow kill herself, but there's still 9 days left in the year...

Posted by: Margo | December 21, 2007 5:27 PM | Report abuse

Biggest surprise? That Britney Spears hasn't OD'd yet.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 22, 2007 9:31 AM | Report abuse

Biggest surprise? That Britney Spears hasn't OD'd yet.

Posted by: Islamorada Girl | December 22, 2007 9:32 AM | Report abuse

to the above, hahaha. well done.

Posted by: methinks | December 22, 2007 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Liz, I read in your earlier article that you grew up in Naples, Italy in the early 80's the same as I did. I was an AF brat. We're having a high school reunion next summer in July 2008 in Orlando, Florida. Hope you can make it! My email address is tmkpk at earthlink dot net. Hope to hear from you.

Posted by: Tawnya Michie '83 | December 22, 2007 11:11 PM | Report abuse

I don't know what to do with myself...I'm at work Christmas week and there's no celebritology and no online chats. Someone, help...tell me jokes? Give me ponies? Anything!

Posted by: h3 | December 26, 2007 11:43 AM | Report abuse

H3: nothing here to report. Pretty boring here, and no wasting time reading chats or blogs *sigh*. I may have to leave early!

Posted by: atlmom1234 | December 26, 2007 2:08 PM | Report abuse

Oh the horror of leaving early!

Sorry, but I'm stuck here 8 hours no matter what. The joys of life as the temp, blech.

Posted by: EricS | December 26, 2007 2:47 PM | Report abuse

4:10...it's starting to feel like quittin' time.

Posted by: h3 | December 26, 2007 4:11 PM | Report abuse

One comment to clarify what I and my friends think about the Jennifer Love Hewitt "fat" controversy. She's not fat in those photos, but she is definitely lumpy. Sags and cellulite on a woman her age are not good things. Curves are great and she doesn't need to lose weight, but a little toning up wouldn't be the worst thing for her.

Posted by: Joe Dalhart | December 28, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

*sigh*

i need my celebritology fix.....

*yawn*

2 more hours until WEEKEND!

Posted by: b | December 28, 2007 3:50 PM | Report abuse

Jamie Lee Spears, pregnant, at 16, that was deffinately jaw-drapping for me...

Posted by: Diana | December 31, 2007 12:36 AM | Report abuse