Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 12/14/2007

How Webby is Bill Shatner?

By Liz Kelly

In which we evaluate the Web presence of celebrities.

Not very.

(WilliamShatner.com)

William Shatner's Web site is -- how shall we put this? -- dated. It's all primary colors and overdramatic fonts. Not only does it look as if it hasn't been redesigned since 1998, Bill's very own blog portion of the site ("Bill's Space") hasn't been updated since June. In fact, it seems Shatner has washed his hands of the site since posting this November video gripe about his lack of involvement in J.J. Abrams' new "Trek" movie. Seriously, his site is like parsecs behind that of other "Star Trek" alums like the tragically hip George Takei.

And, instead of cashing in on his kitschy 'net cred by highlighting gems like this quirky favorite, we're instead greeted with a call to congratulate Bill on his Golden Globe nomination. Says one adoring fan: "Bill you DEMON. You've done it again." Indeed.

For diehard Trekkers, there is a storefront portion of the site where you can pony up $80 for a signed Captain Kirk picture (Holiday hint: My choice would be this one of him in gangster garb from Episode #49.)

Shatner does get points for having a MySpace page (pals include Sid Caesar) and hosting this recent online Q&A. Still, we know Bill can take his official site to places no man has gone before.

Ranking: ** (See ratings guide below)

-----
Rankings
**** -- Rosie O'Donnell (always online -- blogging, video-ing, haiku-ing)
*** -- Will Farrell (I am funny online, too)
** -- Tom Hanks (has a minimally updated MySpace page)
* -- Britney Spears (hasn't updated her official site in over a year)

By Liz Kelly  | December 14, 2007; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Celebrities, How Webby is...
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Sneak Peek at Brit's New Video
Next: Morning Mix: Travolta Dumped from 'Dallas' Remake -- Report

Comments

its just a $20 theme on an opensource CMS system... not really all that much to get excited about - especially coming from this blog and it's notoriously suspect posting system ;)

at least i dont see old tiberius shatner on TMZ having someone scream 'khaaan!!! say it!!!! KHAAAAAN!' every night. maybe he's busy.

Posted by: Quintilus Varus | December 14, 2007 11:49 AM | Report abuse

The state of Shatner's website should come as no surprise. The Enterprise was always broken down, running on impulse power, unable to beam people up or down, its long-range scanners on the fritz, stuck in a tractor beam or miniaturized and turned into a keyfob, its instrument panels spitting out smoke and flame and sparks, or thisclose to a warp-core breach.

And what did Shatner do? He yelled at Scotty; that poor b*st*rd spent the best years of his life cleaning up after Captain McShtuppy.

Posted by: byoolin | December 14, 2007 11:54 AM | Report abuse

this is all true byoolin, and since scotty died i suppose anything techy was bound to head downhill... i mean, who else is he gonna call - adrian zmed?

Posted by: Quintilus Varus | December 14, 2007 11:59 AM | Report abuse

"...you can pony up $80..."

Pony? Shatner? Sorry, I'm just not feeling it.

Besides, Bill's no longer the svelte captain of his youth. Have you seen him on Boston Legal?? It would have to be a really big pony (like a clydesdale or something). Nope, I don't need PETA on my case.

Posted by: niceFLguy | December 14, 2007 12:20 PM | Report abuse

While I agree it's not the most attractive site in the world, and it's not like William Shatner is probably lacking the funds to get it redesigned, I can't get crazy about the state of celebrity web sites. And I'm an Internet professional!

Liz, you of all people should know what a pain in the butt it is to generate content for a daily blog! And as I've learned in my 12+ years of web development, graphic design is so subjective.

Not to mention - this is the man who parodied the over-involvement of his fans on Saturday Night Live (the classic "get a life" at the Star Trek convention skit).

He's pretty open and forgiving of his fan base, but don't you think he (and many other celebrities) might occasionally get tired of sharing everything in their lives? Especially on a web site where it's Googled for posterity, or copied onto blogs?

Posted by: Chasmosaur | December 14, 2007 12:26 PM | Report abuse

You've seen the new WoW (World of Warcraft) commercials with Shatner, yes? It could be he's too busy "playing" to update his website. :D

(Personally, I like the Mr. T commercial better, especially when he takes the director to task for not believing that he might have some programming skills. :D)

Posted by: CentrevilleMom | December 14, 2007 12:45 PM | Report abuse

William Shatner's myspace page is pretty in-depth. If you add him as a friend, he will send bulletin postings every day. As I am writing this, I realize what a dork I am.

Posted by: Marie | December 14, 2007 1:10 PM | Report abuse

byoolin, Captain Mcshtuppy was way too busy getting busy with the ladies/alien ladies to work on the ship!

Posted by: sunnydaze | December 14, 2007 1:25 PM | Report abuse

Egg-zackly, SunnyD. I figure the same thing is happening with McShtuppy.com.

But apparently the MySpace is where the action is (or so say the cool kids), so not surprising that he's keeping busy there.

Posted by: byoolin | December 14, 2007 1:28 PM | Report abuse

"gripe about his lack of involvement in J.J. Abrams' new "Trek" movie"

It's also jealousy because Nimoy has been asked to do a minor role in the movie which he kindly accepted and nothing has been offered to Shatner yet! Not having Shatner is no great loss, infact, I think Paramount killed Trek so I have no desire to see this one. I stopped watching, buying or attending anything Trek when Paramount kicked everyone associated with Gene's office off the lot and locked the doors after Gene died. FANS MADE TREK WHAT IT IS-NOT PARAMOUNT!

Posted by: Pandora | December 14, 2007 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Nice going, Liz Kelly: you've opened Pandora's Box of Resentments.

Posted by: byoolin | December 14, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Pony? Shatner? Maybe that's what happened to Smudge! Glad he found a better home.

Posted by: soso | December 14, 2007 1:44 PM | Report abuse

Will Farrell ==> Will Ferrell.

Posted by: Celebrity Spellcheck | December 14, 2007 1:48 PM | Report abuse

byoolin makes me laugh

Has anyone owned up to being the pregnant poster at the end of yesterday's chat?

Posted by: jes | December 14, 2007 2:39 PM | Report abuse

Twas me.

Posted by: Jessica | December 14, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

jessica? you're pregnant and decided to tell all of us before your family? mazel tov.

Posted by: methinks | December 14, 2007 3:00 PM | Report abuse

William Shatner himself IS all primary colors and overdramatic fonts. I can't think of a better way to describe him!

Posted by: CJB | December 14, 2007 3:26 PM | Report abuse

I don't know about his website, but Shatner totally rocks it. And I'm not even talking about Star Trek. I'm basing this solely on Denny Crane, the Priceline commercials, and because Henry Rollins said so.

Posted by: frog7694 | December 14, 2007 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone see Entertainment Weekly's website rate celebrity websites? Unfortunately Shatner's didn't rate. I caught the link through CNN.com

Posted by: Anonymous | December 14, 2007 4:57 PM | Report abuse

"Shatner totally rocks it... I'm basing this solely on Denny Crane, the Priceline commercials, and because Henry Rollins said so."

So you're saying you routinely use fictitious TV characters, paid commercial endorsements and the personal opinions of artists from the far-flung fringes of society as yardsticks for measuring the worth of a man? How interesting.

Would someone kindly pass me the tranquilizer dart gun, taking care not to spook our friend here. Thanks.

Posted by: MisterBear | December 14, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

"As I am writing this, I realize what a dork I am."

That is so funny, Marie!

And man, that "Rocket Man" YouTube clip is so bad I had to exit right around the time he got to "pre-flight" (about five seconds into Bill's, er, performance).

P.U.! How could Bernie Taupin have introduced that steaming pile of Shatner with a straight face?

Posted by: td | December 14, 2007 8:03 PM | Report abuse

MisterBear, I think what you are referring to is actually the adrenaline spike.

Posted by: Anonymous | December 14, 2007 11:32 PM | Report abuse

Will Farrell ==> Will Ferrell ==> Not Funny Either Way You (Mis)Spell It.

Posted by: No Will Fan | December 15, 2007 9:25 AM | Report abuse

Dan Fogelberg died. Maybe this isn't a big deal to many, but to those of us of a certain age it means the loss of a very special voice.

Posted by: Kly | December 16, 2007 8:37 PM | Report abuse