Posted at 10:42 AM ET, 05/ 2/2008

'Lost' Dueling Analysis: Something Nice Back Home

By Liz Kelly
Lost

In which fellow "Lost"-obsessed over-analyzer Jen Chaney and I pick apart the latest episode of what is truly the best show on TV (now that "Rock of Love" is in hiatus).

Liz: A slow moving episode, but important, I'd say, as pinpointing the genesis of Jack's descent into addiction, general nuttiness and (we can assume) what shall henceforth be known as "the bearded era." Where are we in this mini-arc, Jen -- episode three out of five? It's all starting to run together.

Jen: That was just episode two out of five, hour two out of six since the finale is a two-hour extravaganza. I didn't find it slow-moving, actually, although I understand the tendency to see it that way after last week's shootapalooza. I thought we got back on track -- this was more like a "Lost" episode I recognize rather than an installment of "Benjamin Linus and the Temple of Randomness, Which Happens to Be Hidden Behind a Secret Door."

Claire (Emilie de Ravin), gone -- but for how long? (ABC)

Started out as an episode for the Jaters, and ended on the side of the Skaters, didn't it?

Liz: Jaters, Skaters, Haters, whatever. Ben was nowhere to be seen this week -- along with Sayid, Locke and island time Hurley. And is flash forward Kate a happy housewife or are we missing some reference to her post-island career?

Jen: That's a good point. We don't know what she does for a living, other than keep promises to Sawyer.

And we'll get back to them (Locke, Ben, etc.) next week, since it will be a Locke-centric episode. And a doozy from what it sounds like. And Christian Shephard -- who also popped up tonight -- will be on board as well.

Liz: Right, Christian Shephard, who suddenly seems to be taking quite an interest in his grandson.

Jen: And also still wearing sneakers with a suit when Jack sees him. He had on a different outfit when Claire saw him. But maybe we should start by talking about Hurley. Dude, I don't think he's crazy.

Liz: I don't think he's crazy, either, man, but he's having a hard time handling reality. More importantly, for this episode, he delivered a message from Charlie to Jack. A message, we assume, regarding who should (or shouldn't) be raising young Aaron. Are we to believe that dead Charlie and dead Christian Shephard are in cahoots (I know how you love that word), or are they manifestations of the same entity?

Much more after the jump...

Jen: After last week's Hurley comment -- "Australia is the key to the whole game" -- and this week's -- "We're all dead. We never got off the island" -- I am starting to think we will understand what is going on by simply believing everything Hurley says.

Liz: Right. I thought that statement by Hurley and Rose's bit about people getting better, not sicker, on the island were ways for the writers to address lingering questions without really addressing them. We know you're out there wondering about this and we'll acknowledge your concern. But don't look to us for answers. Yet.

Jen: It hadn't occurred to me that Christian and Charlie are the same entity. I wonder about that message. The obvious interpretation is that it means Jack shouldn't raise Aaron. But raise can have more than one meaning. I also wondered if it meant he shouldn't raise people -- perhaps his father? -- from the dead.

Liz: Are you going to play the religious card again here? If so, I'm going to light some candles.

Jen: Well, in that conference call a couple of weeks ago, LindeCuse did tell all the reporters they should keep reading the Bible to understand the show. But no, I'm not going to get all religiousy on you.

Liz: Good question -- though would that be a metaphorical way of describing Jack having visions of his dad? Because it sounded like Charlie predicted Jack would get a visit from Christian. So those would be opposing messages. I'm going to assume the message was meant to shake Jack's confidence in his presence in Aaron's life. And that was further shaken by Kate's doing "something" for Sawyer.

Jen: Yeah, they are in contrast. Maybe it does simply mean Aaron and obvious is the way to go here. We know from Claire's psychic that it's very important for her to nurture the boy. Am I the only one just heartbroken every time I see poor Aaron without his mother? And when he walked in on Jack saying Kate's not even related to him, I just wanted to hug him. Which also means Jack does know Claire is his sister, but when and how he found out is unclear. Maybe the island doesn't want Kate to be with Jack. The island is a Skater!

Liz: Or, a Jack-iet. A Jacket.

Jen: I'm thinking we won't be coining a new phrase with that one. Especially since that relationship is more like an excerpt from The Surgery Channel.

Liz: Speaking of which -- that was a straight up homage to "Master and Commander" -- the scene in which Dr. Stephen Maturin directs the removal of a bullet from his guts via mirror. Same exact set up.

Jen: Whatever Kate is doing -- including errands for Sawyer, it clearly involved her wearing diaphanous shirts.

Good "M and C" pull. I also appreciated the reference back to the pilot, when Kate sewed up Jack. When Kate walked in and saw Juliet playing that role, it clearly impacted her.

Liz: Yes, not to mention Juliet's jarring admission of a Jack kiss. What was she getting at, do you think? Does she really like Jack that much?

Jen: I think Juliet does care for Jack. But I also think she recognizes Kate is the woman he really loves.

Liz: To change the subject, what of Charlotte and her Korean fluency?

Jen: Yeah, that was wacky. I will say I picked up on the vibes between her and Daniel several episodes ago and was happy that situation was finally acknowledged. Charlotte clearly has done some traveling, so perhaps she had to learn Korean at some point?

Liz: Perhaps, she certainly seems to be a renaissance woman. Though I have to say I never picked up on the Faraday/Charlotte vibe before. I wonder if the feeling is mutual or if the knowledge of Daniel's crush will just become another weapon in Charlotte's arsenal?

Next point: Keany and several of his men are still alive. Is the smoke monster slipping?

Jen: That's a great question. Smokey was less than thorough. I will say that others have escaped the monster before -- remember Locke did -- so it's not out of the realm that Keany and co. got away.

I want to note something about the time frame: Jack picked up the newspaper and -- in keeping with the Yankees/Red Sox thread -- saw that the Yankees swept the Sox in a five-game series. Which means the flash-forward was August 2006. So Aaron should be about two. I wonder why he was playing with a Millennium Falcon at that age. That's what Jack tripped over in the kitchen early in the episode, another nice shout-out to "Star Wars."

Liz: Right -- noticed that, too. But I can see a two-year-old playing with that. He might not get the reference, but he would recognize the nice loud noise it made when bashed into the refrigerator door.

Liz: But one more point re: Jack. Why would seeing his pops send him off the deep end? After all he's been through at this point -- the crash, the Others, smoke monsters, time warps -- would hallucinating really send him running for the drugs?

Jen: It might. He saw his dad shortly after arriving on the island, and discovered his empty coffin. He chalked that up to a hallucination, I guess. Now here dad is again, as Jack is trying to push down any guilt he is surely feeling about leaving people on the island. And if he knows Christian is Aaron's grandfather, that's got to add to his doubt about raising the child. Speaking of, I liked the "Alice in Wonderland" reference when Jack was reading to Aaron.

It was nice to tie that back to "Through the Looking Glass," the same of last season's finale. They really did a lovely job of keeping those threads nice and tight, even if there wasn't a lot of Dharma/sci-fi/time travel mumbo jumbo to dissect.

Liz: So, is Claire gone or will we see her again before season's end?

Jen: Good question. I suspect Claire will return, at least for the finale.

Liz: Earlier in the day before Claire disappeared, she mentioned that she'd been seeing things and chalked it up to her being in the Others camp explosion. I'm wondering what she saw since she seemed genuinely surprised to see her dad. If she'd been seeing flashes of him all day, she'd hardly have that reaction.

Jen: Right. She supposedly had a vision in last week's episode that wound up being cut for time. So unfortunately we don't know what she saw.

Let's talk about Bernard.

Liz: Bernard, who it must be mentioned, was a dentist before the crash. Hence his fitness for administering lidocaine and such.

Jen: Bernard told Jack he should be dreaming of "Something Nice Back Home," which happens to be the title of the episode. That, coupled with Hurley's suggestion that raising Aaron with Kate was a form of heaven for Jack, makes me wonder whether Jack was dreaming some of this. I am inclined to think not, but both of those comments are worth thinking about.

Jen: I also want to note Jin's instructions to Charlotte.

Liz: Yes, why Charlotte? Because she speaks Korean?

Jen: He told her to make sure Sun gets on the helicopter, which starts to paint a picture of why he might not be around off-island. It almost seems like he intends to stay behind or knows he is going to die or something.

I think the Korean thing makes a difference. He speaks some English but not a lot. And he needed to make sure the person he told would understand.

Liz: What of Miles and his desire to hold baby Aaron. Anything there or was he just being a friendly guy?

Jen: Oh, I am glad you mentioned that. I am sure someone will enhance the audio on the moment just before Rousseau and Karl were discovered -- which I also want to touch on -- but I got the sense he was having flashes that went beyond just discovering their bodies. Like he knew the baby was in danger, potentially. Although why he would let Claire take off with Christian is sort of a mystery.

And we certainly know for sure now that Rousseau and Karl are dead. That was a pretty creepy moment.

Liz: But his allowing Claire to wander off with Christian could be the island manifesting its will again, no? If Christian is some kind of agent of the island force, I'm sure it could disable any feelings Miles might have about questioning the logic of Claire wandering off into the jungle at 3 a.m. with a tall man who looks like a refugee from daytime soaps.

Jen: He's not a refugee from daytime soaps. That dude was in "Full Metal Jacket," dang it.

Let's close with a couple of screencap notes I just found: One, Jack does not have a scar from his appendix surgery off-island. See here.

Liz: Well, I can vouch for the fact that Juliet cut him. And cut him good. That was g-r-o-s-s.

Jen: Second: His back tattoo says R E, if I am reading that right. I have no clue what that means. Let's hope some of our smart readers have some solid guesses. And that was awesome slicing. This is why they are on at 10 p.m. now.

Liz: Hmmm, R E I'm coming up blank. It also kind of looks like a Star Trek logo or a compass heading.

So, next week: Cabin Fever -- Locke is enlightened as to the whereabouts of Jacob's cabin, and life aboard the freighter becomes perilous.

Jen: And that means our new best friend, Desmond, is back!

Liz: Yay, Des. And, umm, sorry I won't be around at 2 p.m. ET for the chat. But I'll be there in spirit. So if you see me sitting somewhere in the middle distance, don't be alarmed.

By Liz Kelly  | May 2, 2008; 10:42 AM ET
Categories:  Lost
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning Mix: Report -- Mariah Carey Marries Nick Cannon
Next: Morning Mix: Lindsay Lohan Begins 'Ugly Betty' Taping

Comments

furst

Posted by: dave | May 2, 2008 10:51 AM | Report abuse

I think the Red Sox/Yankees newspaper article was from August 2007 - not 2006.

Posted by: Tara | May 2, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

What do you guys think of Doc Jensen's Claire is a ghost theory? It sounds possible....

And lots of Ghost Christian Shepard...

Posted by: PC | May 2, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

Per Kate and "what she does"...

Um - if Sayid wasn't kidding in his episode flash forwards, it sounds like the Oceanic 6 got massive settlements. Perhaps she doesn't have to "do" anything at all.

Posted by: Chasmosaur | May 2, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

dumbest!

Posted by: Sully | May 2, 2008 11:14 AM | Report abuse

Here's my question: Hurley said to Jack, by way of explanation for his "We're all dead" theory, "I was happy too, at first."

What was Hurley's 'heaven' and how did he go from being happy (and visiting Sun in Korea) to ending up in a mental hospital?

Posted by: JEGS | May 2, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Stella | May 2, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

Who was Kate talking on the phone with? Could it have been Sawyer?

Posted by: Vicky | May 2, 2008 11:31 AM | Report abuse

"We're all dead" is a shout out to people with discredited theories.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 2, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

No - it was August 2006. I'm a Sox fan, those games are ever so painfully etched in my memory. I try to forget, but I can't.

I thought it was weird that Jack's appendix scar wasn't visible off the island too... very strange.

Posted by: U street girl | May 2, 2008 11:37 AM | Report abuse

JEGS, maybe Hurley was happy before he started seeing dead Charlie. From that point on he hasn't seemed to be doing well.

Posted by: cb | May 2, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

i think hurley was happy until charlie started visiting him.

my first reaction when i saw jack's back tat is that it's someone's initials.

i'll bet the island heals jack in a hurry, which is why he doesn't have any scar from his appendectomy.

anybody notice a scar from where kate stitched him up in the first or second episode?

Posted by: b | May 2, 2008 11:40 AM | Report abuse

I think the back tat might say 'R S', not E. Am I the only who thinks that? not that RS makes any more sense than RE. Although, S for Sawyer? I always hoped he & Jack, those crazy kids, would work it out.

Posted by: different liz | May 2, 2008 11:45 AM | Report abuse

What were the initials on Naomi's bracelet? Wasn't it R something?

Posted by: Courtney | May 2, 2008 11:47 AM | Report abuse

R - 8

Rate

Posted by: Anonymous | May 2, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

The thing I noticed - or wondered about - was why Jack didn't look happy when Kate accepted his marriage proposal. He just look teary-eyed and resigned. Perhaps he just wanted to be Aaron's father more than Kate's husband. IMHO

Posted by: BeachGirl | May 2, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

Re post-island careers: Don't you think the Oceanic Six got massive settlements? I mean, those golden passes could hardly be their only compensation (and hush money). My guess is that they're all set for life (and Kate has even more, as she would have Aaron's share too). The only one we've seen working is Jack, and that's just because he wouldn't know what to do with himself if he weren't fixing people, right? Saayid isn't playing hitman for money -- he's working with/for Ben for his own reasons (revenge, guilt, whatever else).

Posted by: jane | May 2, 2008 11:53 AM | Report abuse

ok, he does still have a scar. You can see it (faintly) in these pictures (if I can get this to work). If it doesn't, go to losteastereggs.blogspot.com & scroll down to 'Jack's Scar'. But given the conditions he had his surgery in, that scar healed up really nicely! A lot nicer than my appendectomy scar.

Posted by: different liz | May 2, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to take Hurley at his word. They are dead. So, what we're seeing in the flashforwards is not necessarily reality.

Perhaps the Oceanic 6 are experiencing a kind of (un)consciousness, but they're not truly conscious. As with dreams, some are pleasant, some are not. I tend to think that a lot of these sequences have a dream-like quality to them. Things just don't add up. Kate's trial; Jack's descent; Hurley's visions; Sayid's loyalty.

Posted by: pano | May 2, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

claire's toast. last time she disappeared it set up a majore plot turn. i think the same is going on. where ever she is, she's going to change the direction of the story when she leaves. and if that's the case, and "austrailia is the key to the game", maybe the show is really all about jack and claire, not penny and des?

Posted by: los angeles | May 2, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

I thought it said RS and it looks like the South arrow from a compass. Is there another Shepard (Robert or Rebecca) who died?
What does Kate have to do for Sawyer? Does it have to do with his daughter? Does she figure out that she knew the mom?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 2, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

I agree with U Street Girl about it being August 06, but as a Yankees fan, I have it etched in my brain, and the hard drive on my computer, and a couple dvds I made to commemorate the event.

I thought the initals were R.S., too. It looks the symbol in the middle had a 7 in it.

The "we're all dead" statement kind of brought me back to Anthony Cooper's "A little to hot for heaven" quote.

It really looks like they're trying to make up for the Season 3 snafus by giving us an awesome season 4. I end every episode with a "Whoa..."

Posted by: VaYankeeGirl | May 2, 2008 12:03 PM | Report abuse

Regarding the Red Sox, it was August 2007 per http://www.boston.com/sports/columnists/wilbur/2008/05/02/game_time/. Plus, the columnist makes a good point that Aaron would be about 3 years old at that time and certainly looked 3 in the ep last night.

Posted by: 1buj | May 2, 2008 12:08 PM | Report abuse

Jack's tatoo: RS - Red Sox? I don't know: but here's a good screenshot of it: http://bp1.blogger.com/_Hxnvg45zlCw/SBqNfki_uoI/AAAAAAAAA4M/JQTGKV
3YIao/s1600-h/back+tat.jpg

Posted by: U street girl | May 2, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

I thought this was a "meh" episode. Though I did find it interesting that after the gamechanging ep of last week, they threw us a very old school, season 1 type episode: interesting reveals in the flashbacks/forwards; mysterious island doings; Claire disappearing (again!).

Poor Hurley. Of all those we know of from the flashbacks, Hurley is the only one who was innocent/a good person before the crash, and yet of them all, he now seems to be paying the price for all of them.

And what does it say about Jack that pre-crash and post-rescue he is a miserable, paranoid control freak, but on the island he seems to have found some calm? I think the reason he is so freaked about his dad is because he can't be sure it is not real. He saw the empty coffin after the crash and then saw his dad walking into the jungle. As an empiricist, not having that definite closure (my father is dead) has to be maddening.

Posted by: BDL | May 2, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

Ok, the Sox were swept buy the Yankees in August 2007, but it wasn't nearly as devastating as when they were swept in 5 games in 2006. I can tell by that screenshot that the fine print says it was a 3 game sweep, not a 5 game sweep - which was in 2006. So yes, date is August 2007. Though, deductive reasoning would think that being "bludgeoned" would be the 5 game sweep in 2006 which killed the Sox's season. I mean, it wasn't that devastating in 2007, they won the freaking World Series.

Posted by: U street girl | May 2, 2008 12:16 PM | Report abuse

I loved the episode!

Posted by: oceana | May 2, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

losteastereggs.blogspot.com has the image of the paper blown up, and a google search finds the same text in a NYT article dated August 31, 2007.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 2, 2008 12:21 PM | Report abuse

Lostpedia gives the date as August 31, 2007 but notes that the paper "may be simply a prop, and may not be canon". I'm inclined to agree, especially since the newspaper in the bearded Jack ffw puts that in April 2007, even though it has to be after this ffw.

Posted by: julia | May 2, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

I do like that Miles is now playing the same pain in the a$$ to Sawyer that Sawyer played to everyone else. And I do so enjoy seeing Sawyer get annoyed by it. Not nearly so charming as you think, eh James?

Posted by: BDL | May 2, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

I think Kate works, because they have a nanny with apparently set hours.

I don't think Christian is a ghost because Miles behaves/reacts differently when he's "seeing dead people." I think he let Claire (who's not a ghost either) run off in the dead of night because he doesn't care about the survivors and he wanted to screw Sawyer.

Good catch on the mercs having survived Smokey. I didn't even realize that - I was too busy worrying about Sawyer/Claire/Aaron. Speaking of Smokey, I think all the dead people (and Kate's horse) being seen on the island are somehow solid manifestations of Smokey. It is somehow able to read minds (as it did with Eko) and create physical representations of what it sees there. Something similar could be at work off-island (temporarily given independence, a la The Doctor on Star Trek Voyager) when Christian or Charlie appears.

Posted by: fft5305 | May 2, 2008 12:33 PM | Report abuse

the tatoo is not an R, its a K. It says K 8, or Kate!

Posted by: Meredith | May 2, 2008 12:34 PM | Report abuse

FYI-My husband has had our baby girl playing with a Millenium Falcon since just about the time she could sit up, so I don't think the MF is anyway to date the flash forward. Although, this probably says more about my husband than anything else, ha ha.

Posted by: tl | May 2, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Also, we don't know how many mercs started out from the ship for sure, so we may have just seen the survivors (with one not surviving so well), and not the whole bunch.

Posted by: Joe from VA | May 2, 2008 12:47 PM | Report abuse

______________________________________

Posted by: Anonymous | May 2, 2008 12:48 PM | Report abuse

Looks like future Kate has decided to give up pants! Is there a message there?

Posted by: so... | May 2, 2008 12:50 PM | Report abuse

"Re: Kate's phone conversation. What was the name of Sawyer's "baby mama"? Wasn't it Noreen? He could have asked Kate to help her and his child. And Kate knows her already... Just a thought.

Posted by: oceana | May 2, 2008 12:17 PM "

Good catch! I don't remember her name either, but it's certain she's the only person Sawyer would care about. Don't forget- he didn't die, according to Jack he decided to stay behind.

Posted by: PIT | May 2, 2008 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I really don't think that Jack saying Kate isn't related to Aaron implies he knows he is Claire's sister.

Also I found it very interesting that Kate was able to communicate with Sawyer over the telephone. If in the future they have gotten to the point where communication to and from the island is that simple, then I gotta think that Sawyer and the rest of the gang back on the island are definitely there because they want to be there. Or is Sawyer secretly off the island the way Michael once was?

Posted by: ARM | May 2, 2008 12:53 PM | Report abuse

I think Sawyer's baby momma was named Cassidy, or something similar. Also, Kate was saying something about "being able to stay for an hour," which makes me think that she was talking to someone locally, not Sawyer on the island. I'm guessing if the-powers-that-be wanted the O6 to pretend they are the only survivors, they wouldn't give Kate the phone number to Sawyer's bunkhouse for afternoon chats.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 2, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

So... did anybody else notice that Jack, in the flash-forward at the beginning of the episode, has a completely smooth chest, like it had been recently shaved? Could this whole flash-forward sequence be a dream or hallucination he experienced when he was knocked out for the surgery? (After all, didn't one of the other characters--Juliette or Bernard--tell him "dream of something nice" when they put him under?).

I also noticed that the producers/writers seem to be giving the audience some wink-winks--first Bernard's wife saying something like "it can't be a coincidence that Jack gets a life-threatening illness right before we're supposed to get rescued [because it's a necessity for the plot, wink wink] and Hurley telling Jack "we're all dead!" (which was one of the initial theories about this show).

Posted by: John B. | May 2, 2008 1:01 PM | Report abuse

"well is it possible that Jack got better after the bearded phase and this is after that? he could be relapsing?"

It seems unlikely, because this episode seemed set up to explain Jack's descent into crazy bearded Jack.

Posted by: julia | May 2, 2008 1:07 PM | Report abuse

I'd guess Kate got a nanny when going through thru the trial. Maybe Kate doesn't have a job at all. I know there's gotta be plenty of moms that don't work outside the home yet still have nannies because they can.

Posted by: Bored @ work | May 2, 2008 1:08 PM | Report abuse

Good Call John B. I hadn't thought of that

Posted by: Whoa | May 2, 2008 1:09 PM | Report abuse

Just a curious thought from one of the previous episodes...

When Charlie came to visit Hurley at the mental hospital, who was busy with his painting/coloring activity...it was one of the other patients that pointed out to Hurley that someone was watching/looking at him that made him look up to see Charlie standing there causing him to freak out...

If Charlie is really dead, his ghost/spirit (whatever) can be seen by anyone?????

Posted by: perplexed | May 2, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

jack might have fantasized a life with kate while being unconscious, but i don't think he would have fantasized kate raising aaron. it's an interesting idea, but i don't think that part makes much sense.

Posted by: anony | May 2, 2008 1:12 PM | Report abuse

::It's spelled (and pronounced quite clearly on last night's show) "Keamy" not Keany.::
Thank you! This has been bugging me since last week's recap when Liz/Jen kept insisting on calling him Keany.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 2, 2008 1:16 PM | Report abuse

Did anyone catch the artwork on Kate's refrigerator? There were cut outs of a shark and butterflies. The butterflies looked just like the ones that were on the wall in the activity room of the Mental Hospital where we see the meeting between Hurley and Abbadon. The shark reminded me of the drawings on the chalkboard in that room as well. Just thought it was interesting...

Posted by: Anonymous | May 2, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

The Sawyer-Claire-Kate thing is simple. Sawyer is still on the island with Claire (they're moving towards a relationship between them anyways). The favor Sawyer is asking is for Kate to keep taking care of Aaron for Claire.

Next, everyone on the freighter is putting on an act. Lapidus led Keamy and Crew to the Losties so they could see Miles convince them to keep moving (to earn the Losties' trust). Miles wants to snatch Claire's baby (I haven't resolved that part yet, but he's just biding his time).

Posted by: Please | May 2, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

BDL - Great point about Miles becoming Sawyer's Sawyer.

SULLY - You're not dumb. That poster last week was weird.

my first question : Kate's horse ?? Did I miss something??

Posted by: camis | May 2, 2008 1:40 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Please | May 2, 2008 1:40 PM

This doesn't make much sense since she's already been watching him for almost 3 years & everyone in the outside world either thinks he's Kate's child or she's his legal guardian there wouldn't be any reason for Sawyer to ask her to 'keep taking care of him'. What's she going to do? Put him on the curb?

Also, if Miles wanted to snatch Aaron he easily could have done that while Sawyer was sleeping. He saw Clair leave so he could have just followed her.

Posted by: jes | May 2, 2008 1:44 PM | Report abuse

"Looks like future Kate has decided to give up pants! Is there a message there?
Posted by: so... | May 2, 2008 12:50 PM"

I was so annoyed by that- I'm not a prude either, just so sick of her "come hither" looks to Jack. Also annoyed that she continues looping Sawyer into that annoying 3-way relationship. Ugggh- I actually said out loud, "make up your mind woman"!

I did enjoy the Sun/Jin/Charlotte/Farraday trek to the medical station and Jin calling Charlotte out on understanding Korean. I found his instructions interesting- it makes me wonder as I did during the ep "Ji Yeon" whether or not he is dead in the future. I think he will choose to stay behind.

Posted by: plamar1031 | May 2, 2008 1:52 PM | Report abuse

I think Jin's telling Charlotte to make sure Sun gets off the island is his way of making sure she'll be safe. Farraday has admitted the freighter isnt' there for the losties so everyone knows deep down rescue is iffy. Jin wants to make sure that if only everyone doesn't get save then at least Sun will.

Posted by: jes | May 2, 2008 1:57 PM | Report abuse

"Also I found it very interesting that Kate was able to communicate with Sawyer over the telephone" Posted by: ARM | May 2, 2008 12:53 PM

Although she told Jack that she was doing something she promised Sawyer, I don't think Kate was actually talking to him. That is another thing annoyed the crud out of me- if she was simply doing a task or favor for Sawyer who is still on the island, why couldn't she tell Jack what was going on.

Posted by: plamar1031 | May 2, 2008 2:01 PM | Report abuse

When Juliet was waking Jack at the beginning of the show I thought there was 2 time periods, the first as if she was trying to wake bearded Jack up an the second was the present time.

Maybe Juliet gets off the island and tries to help Jack

Posted by: adam | May 2, 2008 2:26 PM | Report abuse

People with faith are healed.

People without faith get appendicitis.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 2, 2008 2:48 PM | Report abuse

WOW! I can't believe everyone has missed this, but I thought the Kate contact with Sawyer in the flash forward went back to the very FIRST flash forward of last year, when Jack went to a bad part of town for a funeral and we never saw who was in the COFFIN.

Then, this season they give us the Oceanic 6 and Aaron is one of them. But Aaron wasn't born when the plane went down, so maybe it's trickery. Maybe SAWYER is the last of the Six and he's in the coffin.

Remember: When Jack asked if she was going to the funeral service, Kate said: "Why would I go see HIM?"

Posted by: rickNmd | May 2, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Jack assumed - or jumped to the conclusion - that the smoke detector went off because of low batteries; we don't have to make the same assumption.

Far more likely that the ghost of Dr. Christian Shepherd is somehow manifested by Smokey - as is probably Tall Walt, Ghost Charlie, Kate's big black horse, and Sayid's cat.

Posted by: Jean | May 2, 2008 3:36 PM | Report abuse

I am the smoke monster, beware. I will eat you all. Prove me wrong.

Posted by: really | May 2, 2008 3:40 PM | Report abuse

I don't think we can accurately assume that everytime Kate uses a masculine pronoun ("HE" "HIM") she is referring to Sawyer. There are lots of men on this show. I don't think Sawyer is in the coffin. And the O6 have been confirmed--Aaron is one of them. Let's just take that at face value for now.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 2, 2008 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Not only are there lots of men in the show, there are a few in America too.

Posted by: Anonymous | May 2, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

rickNmd -- Maybe, but I can't imagine why Kate wouldn't go to Sawyer's funeral, even if they had some kind of falling out post-island. Or why Jack would say (in last night's episode) that Sawyer chose to stay on the island.

Jean -- The smoke detector didn't go off, it just chirped periodically. If you press the "test" button on your detector, you'll see (well, hear) that there's no confusing "going off" with a low-battery chirp.

Posted by: jane | May 2, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

I agree with previous poster that Jin was trying to ensure Sun's safety by pushing for Charlotte to take her off the island. Don't forget that, unlike everyone else, Sun only has a few weeks before she is predicted to get sick and die, if Juliet is telling the truth about pregnant women. So while Jin and others can wait for rescue, he can't afford for Sun to miss any opportunity to get off.

Although, when I first learned Charlotte could speak Korean, I immediately thought maybe she was hired by Sun's father. Don't forget that he too is a rich and evil man, and I've read speculation about a possible connection with him and Widmore.

Posted by: watcher | May 2, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

For my money, the future of this show lies in the characters who have "father issues." Maybe the reason no one is mentioning this idea is b/c it is too obvious.

All of the following characters have father issues: Jack, Claire, Sawyer, Kate, Hurley, Locke, Sun, Jin, Ben, and Penny. Now Aaron, Sun's son, and Sawyer's son will have them, too. (I've probably forgotten others who suffer from "daddy deeds.")

As much as I like Desmond, Michael, and Sayid as characters, they don't have father issues, and may end up secondary characters.

Recently on LostPedia Lindelof or Cuse reminded viewers to read their Bible if they want clues to the future of the show. That said, Jacob is the father of the 12 tribes of Israel. Of his 12 sons, only one, Ben, has an eponymous counterpart in "Lost." (Interestingly, if I remember the Bible correctly, Jesus, eventually comes from the tribe of Ben, and, since Lindelof/Cuse like literary references, Renaissance writer Ben Jonson often referred to a group of fellow writers as the Tribe of Ben.) So, I'm watching Ben Linus VERY closely.

I can't help but feel that Jacob (who has appeared in the guise of Christian Shepherd, the key father figure on this show) and some twist on the biblical Jacob will help form where Lindelof/Cuse plan to take things.

I'm not bright enough to see that path. Perhaps some of you in this discussion group have ideas along this line, and I'd love to read your opinions.

- Harry Merkin

Posted by: HarryMerkin | May 2, 2008 4:59 PM | Report abuse

Interesting theory. Walt has father issues too, of course.

The biblical angle is also intriguing. I've never known what to make of Aaron's connection, though last week's episode really made me think of (biblical) Aaron's brother, Moses. Didn't Sawyer put Aaron in a woven basket at one point? (And this week, he finds Aaron abandoned, lying in a blanket in a tree.) Moses's mother put him in a basket and put it in a river, where another woman found him and raised him as her own. Hmm.

Posted by: jane | May 2, 2008 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Good show, especially for those few of us who do like the Jack/Kate story line : - ) That said, I too got a little irritated when Kate found it almost impossible to tell Jack what the substance of the phone call she was having because it had something to do with her doing something for Sawyer. Why couldn't she simply tell Jack? Was it because she knew any mention of Sawyer would set Jack off? Wait, I think I just answered my own question because that's exactly what happened. Yet, if that's the case, we will need to see more as to why Jack still feels threatened by Sawyer for Kate's affection, if that is his issue. I'm pretty sure Kate wasn't talking to Sawyer himself though as some above speculated.

I agree that Jin, in his discussion with Charlotte (I thought her Korean was pretty good unless they dubbed it in), was simply trying to ensure that Sun at least got off the island. I think it's quite clear to the Losties that the freightor people don't have their best interests in mind.

Good thoughts above about the show continuing to focus on those folks with father issues. Next week's show featuring the trip to the cabin and possibly meeting Jacob will likely go along way to fleshing out this idea.

Good use of the original freightor people this week. They had been side-lined for the most part the last couple weeks.

Finally, Sully, I hope that strange poster from last week didn't turn you off to this chat forum. I do like hearing your thoughts.

Posted by: emcdoj | May 2, 2008 5:50 PM | Report abuse

Jesus was of the tribe of David, not Benjamin - that was why Joseph and Mary were in Bethlehem, "the city of David," for the Roman-ordered census when Jesus was born.

Posted by: dc-native | May 2, 2008 6:24 PM | Report abuse

"Master and Commander"? Please. Robert DeNiro removed a bullet from his side while Jean Reno held the mirror a few years earlier in "Ronin."

Oh, wait. Maybe "Ronin" was doing an homage to the book, which was decades earlier. I take it back.

Posted by: DeNiro et Reno | May 2, 2008 6:43 PM | Report abuse

I think the O6 are, for the most part, resigned to the fact that once they had left the island there was no way they could get back. Each of them deals with this is different ways: Sun focuses on raising her child; Sayid on revenge; Jack on delusion; etc.

So, as others have said, the post-island triangle of Sawyer-Kate-Jack must go deeper than what we've seen. I think Jack is just trying to act like he can move on. But, he can't because he knows fate will catch up to him. And, we know this because of how last season ended. He goes from avoidance to trying to get back to the island by flying weekends to Sydney.

Anyhow...I agree...Sully needs to come back...much better at this than I am...

Posted by: pano | May 2, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

correction: "David" is not a Tribe of Israel. It's true Jesus' geneology was traced back to King David in the New Testament, but David is of the tribe of Benjamin.

Posted by: to dc-native | May 2, 2008 9:19 PM | Report abuse

Sorry, actually I confused King David who was from the Tribe of Judah with his predecessor, King Saul who was from the Tribe of Benjamin.

Posted by: to dc-native | May 2, 2008 9:25 PM | Report abuse

the tatoo is not an R, its a K. It says K 8, or Kate!

Posted by: Meredith | May 2, 2008 12:34 PM

Nooooo! It's not K8. Jack isn't a Tween Texting Tw*t!

Posted by: 98102 | May 2, 2008 9:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Jean | May 2, 2008 3:36 PM

I think this was a great catch. No, the smoke detector wasn't going off, but I think the fact that the smoke detector is what led Jack to Christian is probably a clue that Smokey is somehow involved in the "ghosts" all the Losties have seen. Not sure how Smokey can be appearing off island, but I think this was a good catch for a clue.

Posted by: 98102 | May 2, 2008 9:32 PM | Report abuse

OK, West Coaster here just getting around to reading the chat transcript...

Jen, totally agree that the kiss is going to be between Claire and Charlie. Hopefully with all the "dead people" coming back and Jacob in the picture we'll get some answers on where the ghosts are coming from. I also think Claire is not going to survive the season. So I definitely for a Claire and Charlie reuniting in the afterlife scene. Especially since she really didn't get any "grieving" scenes when he died.

Posted by: 98102 | May 2, 2008 10:10 PM | Report abuse

I, for one, thought that there was absolutely no passion between Jack and Kate. Their kissing scenes seemed very forced. Not like when they kissed in the beginning of Lost. Also, neither seemed really happy at the thought of marrying each other. Like they are just doing it because they don't know what the hell else to do. Kate really wants Sawyer, and she can't have him, so she's settling for Jack.

For everyone trying to figure out what Jack's tattoos mean, they probably don't mean anything - apparently he got them during his "Party of Five" days.

Maybe the island is Purgatory.

Posted by: Georgetown | May 2, 2008 11:25 PM | Report abuse

Watching last night's episode, I now can't help but wonder if when Jack says to Kate in last season's finale, "We have to go back!" that it isn't somehow related to taking Aaron back to the island. After Hurley told Jack that he's not supposed to raise "him" it just sparked that little theory. With Claire missing -- but maybe not dead -- Jack and Kate probably thought it would be best to take Aaron with them when they left the island. Just a thought.

Posted by: srm1138 | May 3, 2008 1:10 AM | Report abuse

I'm focusing on one thing from the show, Jack's lack of a scar from the surgery. They went to great lengths to give us a shot of his abdomen, and no scar. So there are only three possibilities:
1) It was a dream.
2) Is was actually a flashback.
3) The surgery is a dream.
I'm leaning toward (1) but as another poster noted, why would he dream Kate was raising Aaron, unless that flash forward was also a dream. I'm sorry, but this episode was probably one of the most confusing to draw conclusions from. Why did smokey leave Keamy and some of his men alive? And where was Ben? I'll just wait for next week and hope things clear up a little, but for now its totally possible the whole show was just Jack having a bad dream, or dreaming within a dream, or drwaming within a dream within a ... oh man I love this show!

Posted by: Sully | May 3, 2008 9:18 AM | Report abuse

Welcome back Sully. I don't know about it being a dream but you are right. The scar, or lack there of in the flashforward, is probably signficant. Maybe it's just the healing qualities of the island as someone posted but, if that's so, why did Jack suffer the burst appendix in the first place?

Posted by: emcdoj | May 3, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

What about the fire alarm going off as being being a sign of Christian being there as a force of the electromagnetic properties of the island? Maybe his being there drained them to signal Jack to come to the waiting room (yet another double term).

Posted by: Jan Lopez | May 3, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Check out these screencaps... Jack does have a scar, albeit a faint one. I find it hard to believe his incision would have healed so cleanly under the conditions but then again, the island has healing powers, right?

Posted by: For Sully, other scar naysayers... | May 3, 2008 1:10 PM | Report abuse

*************************************************************This is a beautiful woman from New York. i am just in the beginning of my career and want to find a rich man, maybe to be my sugar daddy. so i uploaded my hot and even **** photos on******http://www.sugarmatchmaker.com. under the name Michle4184, maybe you want to check out my photos firstly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: rosa | May 3, 2008 3:13 PM | Report abuse

is there no moderator on this site anymore ??

about jack asking kate to marry him: seems like he did this right after hurley warned him that he wasn't supposed to be "raising him" (supposedly that was a reference to aaron).

the feeling i got was that jack keeps thinking he can "tempt the fates" as it were - control things despite all signs - and he thinks that by marrying kate he can lock in his place as the man who is will raise aaron.

He certainly didn't seem to be very focused on or happy about the idea of actually marrying kate. something feels mutually "convenient" about their marriage plan, don't know what yet. she seems secretive and selifish as usual, he seems scared.

sully - glad yer back.

Posted by: camis | May 3, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

The lack - or dimness - of the scar shouldn't be a surprise, given they're on Super Healing Island of Recuperation.

Posted by: Heef | May 3, 2008 3:56 PM | Report abuse

First of all, you two absolutely cannot address each other as "dude". It's really unseemly.
And the sports page could come from any year. The Yankees always sweep the Red Sox when it matters most. That's why the newspaper was a red herring.
I buried Paul.

Posted by: Dave on Demand | May 3, 2008 4:09 PM | Report abuse

That particular article is from 2007. The headline is different, but the text of the article (and Jack's comment about A-Rod) are clearly only applicable to what happened in 2007 ("...finishing off the Red Sox, 5-0, yesterday behind Chien-Ming Wang"). See what a little thought and research can accomplish? You too can sound as bright as a non-Yankee fan!

And the Yankees always sweep the Red Sox when it matters most? You mean, like, in the 2004 ALCS, right?

Or maybe you mean 2007, when that game happened... I'll go do some more research to see who won the World Series that year... back in a flash with that tidbit.

Yankee homers: dumb since 1927.

Posted by: Nobody actually demands Dave | May 3, 2008 6:39 PM | Report abuse

the scar's there!

Posted by: Anonymous | May 3, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

Three years allows a long time for a scar to fade, no matter how ugly it was at the start. I think they did a good job with it.

Posted by: jane | May 4, 2008 3:42 PM | Report abuse

When Jack was in court at Kate's trial, didn't he say that 8 people survived? The tattoo seems to say R8. Maybe it's related to that.

Posted by: Liz | May 4, 2008 4:21 PM | Report abuse

You mean like "There R8 survivors" -- ? that would be cool.

I'm still confused about whether there are 6 or 8, though. Has the show given us a definitive answer about that ?

Posted by: Camis | May 4, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Yea, the scar is there, though very faint. I had surgery 5 years ago and it took about 2 years for my scar, using "scar cream" to heal that well. Maybe they have lots of aloe on the island.

Ok, so its a flash forward. I think Jack is looking for a normal life. Marrying Kate would give him that, but as you could see after he asked her, he had doubts by the look on his face. As someone else pointed out, the Kate-Jack-Sawyer triangle must be pretty significant, but I'm not sure why it would drive Jack to grow hair, drink and take pills. I mean, he can do better than Kate!

As for the Red Sox angle, I'm starting to think that we'll learn that the powers being used by the Widmore people are manipulating things like who wins baseball games in order to make millions, or maybe Steinbrenner is one of Them. Didn't Tom live in NYC? Anyway, if Jack was to learn that the Sox kept loosing due to Widmore, he might be as mad as Sayid and work with Ben too. I mean, loosing the love of your life compares to your team loosing due to supernatural powers. It gets the blood up.

As for the ghosts, Hurley is bothered by Charlie, Jack and Claire are bothered by Christian, which makes since since he is the father of them both, Eko was bothered by his brother. Remember Ben saying that there is a box and whatever you wish for will appear in the box. He later said it was a metaphor, but it seems clear Ben can make things appear, like Locke's dad. So why not Jack, Kate, Hurley and others making things appear on the island, though not consciously? If its a real thing, like Locke's dad or Kate's horse, its is transported there. If its dead, like Charlie, Eko's brother or Jack's dad, it appears but ghostly. I think it is significant, as another poster noted, that another inmate told Hurley there was a guy watching him that turned out to be Charlie. But I'm not convinced they are really ghosts and not manifestations created by these people that others can also see. Imaging that you pretend to be talking to a long dead relative, but that relative then appears in front of you and can be seen by others. It does not mean the apparition was a ghost, just your manifesting the person. Miles sees Christian with the baby, which Claire dreamed and woke up to. The inmate sees Charlie that Hurley imagined, but I don't think the security cameras in the convenience store saw Charlie, which sent Hurley running out of the store and then on a high speed chase. And it seems you don't need the island to make these things happen since its happening off island as well.

That leads me to Jacob, the ultimate manifestation. Ben conjoured him up and Locke could see him in the cabin. That freaked Ben out. Jacob would be like Ben's imaginary friend, that the island has manifested into a ghostly reality. But like dreams, they cannot be controlled.

Posted by: Sully | May 5, 2008 9:32 AM | Report abuse

moderators? what are you, fascists?

Posted by: Anonymous | May 5, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I just read the chat this morning. (Couldn't watch the episode until the weekend and did not want spoilers)
Anyway the big kiss- Hurley and Locke.

Why do you think Hurley always chooses to go with Locke and not Jack? He has a big crush on him! And now he is in the mental institution because he misses Locke so much!
Joke - for those sacastically challenged.

Posted by: DW | May 5, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Merkin -- Desmond has father issues with Penny's father, Widmore. Michael has father issues -- his fathering of Walt. Not only was he a long distance father, but when he finally picks up Walt, they get stranded on an island and then Walt is kidnapped. The only Oceanic survivor whose father issues have not been developed (as far as I can rememeber) is Sayid. Anyone have any thoughts about that?

Posted by: Scandibaby | May 5, 2008 2:27 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Scandibaby. I told you in my original post I'd probably forget one or two. Also, to correct my original post about folks w/ "pater problems," I know Sawyer's child is a girl. Don't know why I typed "son" in my original post. Why is it I never find a mistake until I press the "submit" button or until the 10th copy comes out of the Xerox machine?

Posted by: HarryMerkin | May 5, 2008 2:56 PM | Report abuse

Whether that smoke alarm "chirped" or "went off", it would have been interesting to know whether the female doctor passing by even heard it - as she clearly did not see Dr. Christian Shepherd walking the corridor. I still think it's an imbedded "clue" that ghosts are Smokey manifestations. As someone else hinted - it's probably also "electromagnetically" connected since I think Ben once saw the ghost of his mother near the electric "fence" (she was just on the outside of it and he was approaching it).

Posted by: Jean | May 5, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Camis - yes, there are 6 who get off the island, but I meant that in Kate's trial, Jack told his made up story of how only 8 people survived the plane crash. That is when Kate said something like "you've told that story so many times, you seem to believe it". So I meant that the tattoo could be the fictitious 8.

Posted by: Liz | May 5, 2008 5:02 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know why this latest episode isn't on iTunes yet?

Posted by: Teri | May 5, 2008 6:57 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone know if the tattoos that we're discussing are actually just Matthew Fox's real tattoos? I'm pretty sure the ones down the inside of his arm are real and Bai Ling only gave him part of the shoulder tattoo, the other part is MF's in real life...

On a completely different note, I think it's really interesting that Ghost Christian Shepherd wears different clothes depending on who sees him. Jack always always sees him in a suit (his Going to Work Outfit?) and Claire saw him in a more casual shirt (his Going to See My Illegitamite Daughter Shirt?).

Posted by: 98102 | May 5, 2008 9:13 PM | Report abuse

what if Kate wasn't doing something for Sawyer, what if she was doing something for Ben? He's already got Michael and Sayid doing his bidding, maybe he'll get his hook's into Kate as well.....

Posted by: clueless | May 5, 2008 11:41 PM | Report abuse

Clueless, you may be on to something. It has been bugging me why Kate felt she couldn't tell Jack that she was doing something for Sawyer off-island, let alone tell him what it was she was doing. I think it would bother Jack even more if he knew she was doing something for Ben and perhaps Kate knew that, thus explaining her reluctance to tell Jack. In any event, it's an intriguing theory.

Posted by: emcdoj | May 6, 2008 6:10 AM | Report abuse

98102 wrote: "On a completely different note, I think it's really interesting that Ghost Christian Shepherd wears different clothes depending on who sees him."

Good observation. It jives with my idea that these appearances of Christian Shepard are not real but only imagined, but they are more than just imaginary, the imagined Christian can be seen by others as well.

Also, Hurley, up to this point on the island, seems to be holding his own. He's shouting people down, making decisions. But in the flash forwards he is in the institution, humbled, scared. I don't think running into Charlie at the convenience store alone did this to him. Since it seems the O6 will be rescued soon, I think something bad is about to happen to Hurley at the cabin or when they leave the island. Something that makes him feel helpless and questioning what is real and what is not. I'm worried for Hurley this Thursday.

Posted by: Sully | May 6, 2008 8:20 AM | Report abuse

Don't worry, Hurley isn't real.

Posted by: freaks | May 6, 2008 12:43 PM | Report abuse

Man I am late in responding this week...

I agree about both Jack and Kate not looking too excited about their engagement. Could it be because of convenience? It seems that all of them are having a difficult time being labeled and recognized everywhere...Maybe Jack and Kate feel like this is as good as it will get. You would have to think that it would be hard to really relate to people who hadn't gone through that whole experience...

And Sully, people are jerks. I like your opinions and ideas! :-)

Posted by: Ohyouknow | May 6, 2008 12:51 PM | Report abuse

Liz - gotcha. thanks.

the tattoos could be seen as a physical manifestation of the interconnection between them. kinda like the ghosts being physical manifestations of the conscious and subconcious struggles of the characters - lots of unresolved conflicts, lots of manifestations that represent these conflicts and, perhaps, remind the characters they still have work to do.

Inter-connection. Dharma. Gotta deal with it or it will continue to eat away at you one way or another until you finally face it.

That may be too lofty for the tattoos - but my point is that they represent the connection between Jack and Claire.

... unless I'm wrong about Claire giving Jack the tatoos - which would be highly embarrassing at this point....

Posted by: camis | May 6, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

a few thoughts . . . i was reminded of the movie jacob's ladder (i believe this has been mentioned in weeks past) where tim robbins(?) character "dreams" of his future after vietnam. the dream isn't very happy and in the end he's still on the OR table in nam. but, that seems to work better for a movie than a multi-season show.

the timeline has become harder and harder to follow . . . accurately anyway. i'm not certain that bearded jack is after asking kate to marry him. it could be a relapse as someone pointed out above. when jack goes to see hurley the first time (in the gym at the hospital) hurley says something to the effect of jack having "cleaned up" and jack mentioning something about being back at work. am i way off here? my memory ain't what it used to be. so, did jack freak out, calm down, find some comfort in being with kate/aaron and then freak out again? i seem to recall jack having anxieties (and a serious drinking problem) before his first marriage.

i don't think that jack knows that claire is his half sister . . . yet. i think that ghost/smoke-christian will let him in on that one. perhaps christian is telling claire that same stuff right now.

the jin/charolotte portion was interesting. i don't think charolotte cares about farrady at all. but now she knows he likes her, which gives her a leg up on him. also, i think that jin may do something bad in order to get sun off of the island. just a thought. as for farrady, he seemed to show a little more backbone in this episode when he tells charolotte that her attitude isn't helping. couldn't agree more. she's a total b. and she may be working for sun's old man.

good lord, this show is something else.

Posted by: Lost in Mpls | May 6, 2008 2:03 PM | Report abuse

thanks for the circle jerk guys

Posted by: Sully | May 6, 2008 5:41 PM | Report abuse

Some thoughts . . . .

bearded Jack is AFTER the proposal which explains why Kate is reluctant to meet up with him, but I think it's relatively shortly after. He seems to start his dependance on pills during last week's ep

Hurley starts HIS downfall next week after an encounter with Jacob's shack. He is happy top be off-island but when Charlie starts to show up, so does Abbodon(sp) and then it all unravels. Remember, he is involved in a car chase after seeing Charlie in the store which probably leads to him going to the ward

Sawyer definately is on the island, not dead or in relatively frequent contact with Kate. It has to be the mother of his kid, whose name also escapes me. Sawyer has asked Kate to watch over his kin, so to speak . . . but I do like the idea that Kate could be working for Ben, as prevoiusly mentioned

Posted by: isledweller | May 6, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

Camis wrote: "Re Jack's tattoos - didn't Jack get a tattoo from Claire in Australia before the island? They crossed paths without knowing they are related or that they are about to share the same wacky adventure on that goofy island."

hmm, did he? I know he got one from Bai Ling, but Claire? I don't remember that part...

Posted by: Anonymous | May 7, 2008 12:12 AM | Report abuse

oh man, I'm getting loster and loster. I thought it was Claire doing the tattos -
who is Bai Ling ?

Posted by: camis | May 7, 2008 12:34 AM | Report abuse

oh- the actress who played the woman Jack had a fling with - the one who warned him that the tattooo would get him in trouble. right?

Posted by: camis | May 7, 2008 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Ok finally got to see the ep last night. Pretty good but I can't believe nobody picked up on the line of the night...when they're in the medical station and Charlotte says "Where do they get the power for all this stuff?" For me anyway that seems to be one of the biggest mysteries of the island...where is all this power coming from and how is it that nobody has discovered it's source yet??

Posted by: Da Plane Da Plane | May 8, 2008 12:31 PM | Report abuse

Da Plane, I also found that a key line. Good catch...It is interesting how the Losties haven't really bothered to question one of the biggest mysteries that is in constant play...

Posted by: Ohyouknow | May 8, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

First !

Posted by: camis | May 8, 2008 10:09 PM | Report abuse

I am trying to draw on this biblical theme. Is Jacob actually God and can take on the shape of anything or anyone, like Christian Shepard, for example? Is Ben a disciple, Aaron- Jesus? How would Locke fit into that theory?

I think Claire will play a big role, maybe in this theme somehow.

Posted by: kc | May 9, 2008 9:10 AM | Report abuse

I thought this episode was a homage to the late Aaron Spelling. I'd like to call it Lost 90210. Could there be more drama??? Juliette's confession to Kate, Jack's marriage proposal, Kate's little secrets, Jack's jealousy scene - which show am I watching, anyway? It seems like not only are all survivors dead, per Hurley's assertion, but all the writers are, too. Who wrote this episode - temps?

Posted by: Alina | May 16, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse