Posted at 8:06 AM ET, 07/22/2008

Morning Mix: Report: Christian Bale Accused of Assaulting Mom, Sister

By Liz Kelly
Tuesday

Headlines: Jay Leno's final "Tonight Show" date set for next May... Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt plan Iraq trip... Denise Richards and Charlie Sheen return to court in child custody case... Balthazar Getty confirms separation from wife... Halle Berry's daughter makes public debut... Sarah Jessica Parker-produced reality show picked up by Bravo... CBS cleared in Janet Jackson Super Bowl "wardrobe malfunction" case... Tori Spelling penning motherhood book... Nicole Richie tapes "Chuck" cameo... Omarosa spars with talk show host Wendy Williams... Bill Murray to jump from the sky somewhere over Chicago... Video: Matthew McConaughey's "Surfer, Dude."

Crime Watch: Police investigating report that Christian Bale attacked mom, sister... Amy Winehouse's husband sentenced to longer prison term... "Greek" star Scott Michael Foster arrested for drunk driving.

Rumor Mill: Angelina Jolie and Billy Bob Thornton planning big screen reunion?... Bob Geldof's 19-year-old daughter treated for suspected drug overdose.

Say What?
You know what? I am actually not that much into voting. I think it's kinda crazy that a woman is running, because I think that women deal with a lot of emotions and menopause and PMS and stuff. Like, I'm so moody all the time, I know I couldn't be able to run a country, 'cause I'd be crying one day and yelling at people the next day, ya know?" -- Brooke Hogan, who will never be asked to run a country.

Chat: Debra Winger will be online today at Noon ET to discuss her new book, "Undiscovered", and her article on The Writing Life from the current issue of Book World.

Comic-COn...

Coming Later This Week: Prepare for an onslaught of news and tidbits live from the pop culture Super Bowl/Trekkie Convention/Woodstock that is Comic-Con 2008. Jen Chaney and I will be covering this year's convention live and plan to bring you celebrity interviews and lots of news about "Lost," "Tropic Thunder," "Lost Boys 2," "Watchmen" and way more. Coverage starts Thursday and will continue throughout the weekend as we gradually OD on cool stuff.

By Liz Kelly  | July 22, 2008; 8:06 AM ET
Categories:  Daily Mix
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Comment Box: Childfree by Choice Celebs?
Next: When Celebs Shill: Mark McGrath's Very Bad Idea

Comments

Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt plan Iraq trip...

***********
This has got to be a violation of the Geneva Conventions. Haven't the Iraqi's suffered enough?

Posted by: sunnydaze | July 22, 2008 8:39 AM | Report abuse

Heidi Montag is going to entertain the troups? Someone remind me, what was her talent again?

Posted by: RVA | July 22, 2008 8:40 AM | Report abuse

Wow, a lot of winners today. Those crazy kids from the Hills are probably going to try to score some cheap automatic weapons in Iraq (I mean, SRSLY, are they going over there to try to formulate their foreign policy?), Brooke Hogan thinks Hillary is still running, Omarosa...enough said, and Geldof's daughter is named PEACHES? No wonder she O.D.'d.

Posted by: 23112 | July 22, 2008 8:47 AM | Report abuse

To show solidarity for Heidi's stepbrother, who died when he fell off a roof in Colorado, Heincer are going to the Middle East.

Maybe they should go to the Midwest and carry a bale of shingles up a ladder.

Posted by: But seriously, folks, byoolin looks forward to their analysis of the situation. | July 22, 2008 8:48 AM | Report abuse

I'm torn by what Brooke Hogan said. On the one hand, it's a shame that she thinks that.

On the other, she's so much more articulate than the current president, I can't help but feel that America missed an opportunity.

Posted by: byoolin | July 22, 2008 8:54 AM | Report abuse

Ya'all beat on the Heincer comments.

Thank you Brooke for setting women's lib back 50 years.

Omarosa that ringing sound you hear is the alarm clock on your 15 minutes.

I'm kinda upset about the Christain Bale thing. About the police waited to question him about domestic violence for god's sake, because they didn't want to ruin the premiere of Batman. It's a movei for crying out loud. A crime had possibly been committed. It's your job to investigate it, not kiss up to Hollywood.

Posted by: ep | July 22, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

Heicer: the new Blackwater

Posted by: Curmudgeon | July 22, 2008 9:00 AM | Report abuse

I'm actually quite apalled by those Brooke Hogan comments. Forget that she's an M-list celebrity, its horrifying that anyone could be that stupid. She's a perfect case for forced sterilization.

Posted by: jelo | July 22, 2008 9:03 AM | Report abuse

I think we ought to let Gene W keep his mermaid in the Lizard Island lagoon.

Posted by: Curmudgeon | July 22, 2008 9:04 AM | Report abuse

Heidi and Spencer? Well, what they're not telling us is that it's part of a CIA operation for the interrogation of suspected Al-Quaeda suspects.

"Look, buddy. Waterboarding, or a Heidi-and-Spencering. Your choice."

Can't wait for the Senate hearing...

Posted by: Anonynonandon | July 22, 2008 9:05 AM | Report abuse

"...it's horrifying that anyone could be that stupid." - Posted by: jelo

*****

You say "horrifying," I say, "par for the course."

Posted by: byoolin sez that the odds are very good that your neighbour is just &#@$@#$^ stupid. | July 22, 2008 9:07 AM | Report abuse

I think after that Brooke Hogan quote, Liz should change it from "Say What?" to "WTF?"

Posted by: jake e. poo | July 22, 2008 9:09 AM | Report abuse

Oh, byoolin, I loooove it when you make golf references. 'sigh'

Posted by: Curmudgeon has to go to work now | July 22, 2008 9:11 AM | Report abuse

" . . . police did not question Bale on Monday because they did not want to interfere with the premiere."

Priorities, people. Priorities.

Posted by: MN | July 22, 2008 9:19 AM | Report abuse

Scotland Yard is investigating Batman? What the hell is the world coming to?

What's next the humane society is going to put Cat woman on house arrest. These are scary times people.

Posted by: Irishgirl | July 22, 2008 9:22 AM | Report abuse

I get to work just a little later than usual and all the good Heincer comments are taken.

Let's see, also mentioned in the Heincer article is the fact that they are making a video game saying "All your wildest dreams are going to be in it."

Now, would that include being able to blow both of them to oblivion?

Posted by: Dorkus | July 22, 2008 9:23 AM | Report abuse

Heincer going to Iraq, I thought the news said the troop surge was working.

Well Christian if it is true I'll have to take back that invite to the island.

Brooke is so right on. I know with the emotions, menopause, PMS and stuff I deal with it's amazing that I manage to hold down a job. We did send her an invite to the Manhattan Project right? She might be able to power the entire thing.

Posted by: petal | July 22, 2008 9:33 AM | Report abuse

Speidi, for the love God, don't our troops already have it hard enough? Leave them alone! Don't add to their suffering!

And I'm pretty sure Sienna Miller already confirmed Balthazar Getty's separation from his wife.

Posted by: jaybbub | July 22, 2008 9:35 AM | Report abuse

"Heincer"? Let's call them what they are and change the name to "Heinie"

Posted by: cee_jay | July 22, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

Memo to Bill Murray: Don't let the future ex-Mrs. Murray pack your chute.

And for Curmudgeon, a Bill Murray golf reference:

So I jump ship in Hong Kong and make my way over to Tibet, and I get on as a looper at a course over in the Himalayas. A looper, you know, a caddy, a looper, a jock. So, I tell them I'm a pro jock, and who do you think they give me? The Dalai Lama, himself. Twelfth son of the Lama. The flowing robes, the grace, bald... striking. So, I'm on the first tee with him. I give him the driver. He hauls off and whacks one - big hitter, the Lama - long, into a ten-thousand foot crevasse, right at the base of this glacier. Do you know what the Lama says? Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-galunga. So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

Posted by: byoolin polishes his mashie niblick. | July 22, 2008 9:36 AM | Report abuse

RVA,

Might I suggest: spirit fingers while ummmm.... singing, classic music videos that are funny as heck and probably cost $10 to produce and being one half of the tackiest couples ever. Heidi is the talent that keeps on giving.

Posted by: petal | July 22, 2008 9:40 AM | Report abuse

petal, what Heidi does are not spirit finger, *these* are spirit fingers, and *these* are gold.

Posted by: Dorkus, who always brings it | July 22, 2008 9:44 AM | Report abuse

byoolin, thanks very much for the Caddyshack reference. Made me smile.

I'm oh so happy that Tori Spelling is writing a book about motherhood. Geez, isn't it enough that she procreated? Let's keep those skanky genes going!

Posted by: B'More Cat and Caddyshack Lover | July 22, 2008 9:47 AM | Report abuse

I don't want to defend Heidi and Spencer, but I believe her stepbrother served a tour in Iraq, so the memorandum issue kind of works. It's better than learning to shoot.

Posted by: MGC | July 22, 2008 9:52 AM | Report abuse

byoolin,
I hate to tell you this but Colorado is as much in the Midwest as West Virginia is in the Midwest. Which is not at all.

Posted by: dw | July 22, 2008 9:59 AM | Report abuse

dw, yeah, I know... I was hoping the geographical stretch would slip by unnoticed, employed as it was in the service of a bad pun.

Can I appease you with a golf reference? (It seems to do wonders for Curmudgeon, for some reason.)

Posted by: byoolin | July 22, 2008 10:07 AM | Report abuse

Good for Halle for not selling her daughter (read her daughter's photos) to the highest bidder.

But does she still look a little preggers in that photo?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 10:11 AM | Report abuse

"Well Christian if it is true I'll have to take back that invite to the island.
Posted by: petal"

Sigh...The list of participants in my fictional man-harem grows shorter by the day. methinks, can I get a little Bailey's in my coffee this morning? It's been a rough few days.

Posted by: Bawlmer | July 22, 2008 10:12 AM | Report abuse

The Omorosa thing confused me. First of all, I heard "Wendy Williams" and thought of Wendy O. Williams from the Plasmatics, and couldn't figure out why she would have a T.V. show.

Then, I wasted 2 minutes of my life watching the video clip from E. Omorosa needs to go away. She is nowhere near as fabulous as she thinks she is. But I do give her props for extending her 15 seconds of fame to 20 seconds of fame.

Posted by: NW DC | July 22, 2008 10:17 AM | Report abuse

Hey, I have children too! Why didn't I think of writing a book about motherhood so I could share my experience with the world. Darn those celebrities - they always get the best ideas first.

Posted by: m.a.t. | July 22, 2008 10:18 AM | Report abuse

Who is Brooke hogan? (I didn't click on the link because after reading that I'm not sure I want to know.) And who is Balthazar Getty?
Thanks for writing about people like SJP, Debra Winger and Bill Murrya for the old folks like me...

Posted by: Ame | July 22, 2008 10:29 AM | Report abuse

RVA,

I stand corrected. Dorkus has brought it with the spirit fingers so Heidi is short one talent. Unless she can bend a bullet Wanted style.

Posted by: petal | July 22, 2008 10:31 AM | Report abuse

Did that Geldof kid even have a chance of a normal life with a name like Peaches Honeyblossom Michelle Charlotte Angel Vanessa Geldof?

Let this be a lesson to all you celebs & your weird kid names.

Posted by: Bored @ work | July 22, 2008 10:32 AM | Report abuse

Byoolin, I'll just assume you weren't reading the late posts to yesterday's Morning Mix when I used the same line to break the news of Bill Murray's jump.

I don't know what is worse: that Brooke Hogan still thinks Hillary is running or that Brooke still thinks Hillary is ovulating.

And thanks to the Wendy Williams Show, there goes my hope for an Obama/Omarosa ticket.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | July 22, 2008 10:33 AM | Report abuse

Well byoolin you usually hit a hole in one with all of your posts so I will let this one slice into the woods pass by.

Posted by: dw | July 22, 2008 10:36 AM | Report abuse

MoCo, I didn't read any of the late posts but I apologize nonetheless for stealing your line.

Posted by: Now byoolin knows how George Harrison felt. | July 22, 2008 10:40 AM | Report abuse

****
oh, oh, hate to have a geography lesson this early, but the prairie portions of colorado are frequently considered to be in the midwest. i was born in nebraska and the sections of colorado that border western nebraska are considered part of the midwest. my dad was from western nebraska and when we moved to arizona, we would drive from here back to nebraska, through colorado. no question about the eastern part of colorado. so score 1/2 point for byoolin

Posted by: janet counters dw's geography | July 22, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

The Bale story has been upgraded to include the words "under arrest."

Posted by: byoolin | July 22, 2008 10:41 AM | Report abuse

Liz Kelly, I get the impression that you and editorial writer Richard Cohen aren't bosom buddies. Or if you are, he prefers it when you wear long sleeves.
I'm not a wearer of tatts, but I just read his view of tattoos and to say he sounds like an old fuddy-duddy is putting it mildly.

Posted by: methinks | July 22, 2008 10:45 AM | Report abuse

There's got to be more to that Christian Bale story than meets the eye. A lot more.

Posted by: methinks | July 22, 2008 10:46 AM | Report abuse

byoolin -

hahahahahaha

You are ace!

your niblick is always welcome here; the mashie, not so much

BTW, do you generally get more bite after the caddie uses the ball washer?

Posted by: Curnudgeon whose nephew is a champion on the Ohio High School circuit | July 22, 2008 10:47 AM | Report abuse

ep, I can see why maybe they waited. I've tried a bunch of those civilian complaint assault and battery charges and half the time they're made up, and the defendants usually win. I'm not really talking about domestic abuse in the "traditional" sense where there's an emergency call and police oberved real injuries. I'm talking about the ones where people show up a few days later complaining about it - which seems to have happened here. I think in general the police don't immediately rush to fix those unless there's some immediate danger. They just send the warrant out to get served.

Posted by: Sigh | July 22, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

"The Bale story has been upgraded to include the words "under arrest."
Posted by: byoolin | July 22, 2008 10:41 AM"

Whoa, look at that. Good catch byoo.

Posted by: Bawlmer | July 22, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

our paper is reporting that kate moss likes to torment her boyfriend by flirting w/men. yack. she looks so skanky, it's hard to imagine even a bloated toad finding her attractive.
and the second bit from our smelly paper is that mariah's new husband is going broke trying to fund her lifestyle. does he work?

Posted by: janet flings out a couple of sparse tidbits from her local newspaper | July 22, 2008 10:48 AM | Report abuse

Please go over to the Celebritology blog. It's a closed club where the judgmental can be comfortable amongst their own.

Posted by: MN | July 21, 2008 12:36 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 10:52 AM | Report abuse

Yeah, it's going to be interesting to see how the Bale stories develop. Does he have a history of losing his temper? The local radio folks seemed to think this was part of a pattern, but 'twas the first I'd heard of it.

Posted by: Bawlmer | July 22, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

Also, a NEWSPAPER said that the police didn't send out the warrant because of the premiere. The POLICE said they made an appointment for (presumably) Bale to turn himself in. I know things sound weird sometimes, but this isn't odd and if it caused outrage, people would be outraged at their local courthouses daily. Warrants take a few days to get served if issued from a judge or from a magistrate and the defendant isn't present. That's how it is. The fact that he turned himself and saved the serving process is a good thing!

Posted by: Sigh | July 22, 2008 10:53 AM | Report abuse

They are far from collegial to anyone outside the "club", hence the term, "mean mommies". The way they've been behaving lately, they resemble the cool kids from high school who never grew up. Except for byoolin, of course.

Posted by: MN | July 21, 2008 2:21 PM

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 10:55 AM | Report abuse

...you'd think Brooke Hogan would know how moody men can be anyway...look at her family!

Posted by: Sigh | July 22, 2008 10:57 AM | Report abuse

Does MN mean byoolin grew up? Or does she mean he probably wasn't cool in high school? Aren't funny people always cool in high school?

Slow work day...

Posted by: Sigh | July 22, 2008 10:59 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: MN | July 21, 2008 12:36 PM

=====
MN: Good work. Keep spreading the word!

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | July 22, 2008 11:00 AM | Report abuse

Brooke - now that's someone who should be added to the list of people who should NEVER be allowed to pro-create, and thank goodness she's not voting! (If only everyone who couldn't be bothered to research the issues, and the candidates' standing, (rather than listening to the random clips) would stay away from the polls, perhaps we as a country wouldn't be where we are now.

(I'm stepping off my soap box to go find Brooke and b!tch slap some sense into that empty head of hers)

Posted by: anonymous lurker | July 22, 2008 11:01 AM | Report abuse

Give MN a break. Some of you, and you know who you are, are sometimes mean.

Posted by: anon | July 22, 2008 11:02 AM | Report abuse

I love Bratz dolls! Granted, I dress just like they do, so I'm a little biased, but in any case, they are wonderful.

Posted by: atb | July 22, 2008 10:45 AM

You especially like the ball gag,i bet.

Posted by: hmm | July 22, 2008 10:51 AM

Ha! Maybe that's why atb is "speechless"!

LizD is more the ball gag type.

Posted by: LOL | July 22, 2008 10:59 AM

Posted by: In the meantime, over at OP! | July 22, 2008 11:06 AM | Report abuse

Slow work day...

Posted by: Sigh | July 22, 2008 10:59 AM

It means he was always cool. Do you disagree?

Copying and pasting anonymous comments targeting an individual strike me as warm and welcoming, and not at all cliquish.

Posted by: MN | July 22, 2008 11:07 AM | Report abuse

Byoolin,

My assumption was correct. Now I can feel proud that great minds think alike!

Anyway, I've always blamed Billy Preston and LSD for turning George Harrison into a plagierist.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | July 22, 2008 11:08 AM | Report abuse

Sorry, anon, momma don't 'llow no slack cuttin' 'round here.

Go away. You don't like it here. And stay off of my lawn!

Posted by: Curmudgeon | July 22, 2008 11:09 AM | Report abuse

Whatevs. I'm getting tired of this. If the people at OP can't admit they are mean to each other (and mommies, therefore: mean mommies!), there's no hope in getting them to be rational about anything. MN was hateful to me one day when I made a comment regarding people "using grandparents" for their daycare. The context was clear that using = utilizing, not using = taking advantage of. She is a mean mommy, and clearly an attorney who gets off on arguing with people. I'm a laid back Pastafarian who doesn't see a need to waste any more time on this celinedion.

Posted by: RiverCityRoller | July 22, 2008 11:12 AM | Report abuse

I want to talk about celebrities. (a novel concept!) In line at the post office this morning, I overheard the morning news talking about "new pictures of Britney again calling into question her parenting skills". Did anyone else see that? I'm not sure what they were talking about? I didn't see anything in google news...

Posted by: RiverCityRoller | July 22, 2008 11:15 AM | Report abuse

RiverCityRoller

I remember that day!

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 11:16 AM | Report abuse

Brooke Hogan sounds like she was raised by a Neanderthal. Which is true. Hopefully she'll grow up and pull the foot out.

Posted by: ol | July 22, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Rivercityroller

If it is true, it will be on PerezHilton.

Posted by: Irishgirl | July 22, 2008 11:17 AM | Report abuse

Morning Joe on MSNBC showed the Britney pix. She was standing in front on Preston, in a bikini (I know...the horror!) smoking a cigarette. While lil' Preston (what a cutie pie) was holding her package of cigarettes in one hand and a lighter in the other.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | July 22, 2008 11:19 AM | Report abuse

Chief of Security Bawlmer reporting, sir. We have forum trolls attempting to spread anger and dissatisfaction throughout the WaPo blogosphere. Recommend retreating to the tiki bar and hunkering down. Do not attempt to engage; we will lose more people in the crossfire. Lizards, we need you- now, more than ever- to keep up the snark and fellowship. Stay strong, fellows. And...if I don't make it back alive...tell Sasquatch...that I'm the one who stole his razor...

Posted by: Bawlmer | July 22, 2008 11:21 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: RiverCityRoller | July 22, 2008 11:12 AM

Thanks, nice guy. And now back to the folks who aren't mean to each other but only to celebrities. . .

Posted by: MN | July 22, 2008 11:22 AM | Report abuse

Wait. Debra Winger's still alive?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 11:23 AM | Report abuse

Thanks for the intel, Bawlmer. And thanks MoCo for the celebrity reporting. I believe I will use the image to make my mother's birthday card. In the scope of what Britney has done, I really don't think it's all that bad...

Posted by: RiverCityRoller | July 22, 2008 11:24 AM | Report abuse

"I'm a laid back Pastafarian who doesn't see a need to waste any more time on this celinedion."

Celinedion yourself, RCR. You apparently are not as laid back as you think you are, considering you are holding a grudge that is at least a few months old. We had robust discussions on OB, and which meant that sometimes we disagreed strongly, but most of us were grown-ups and could take it. Get over it already - don't be a lame lizard (LL)

Posted by: Another MM | July 22, 2008 11:25 AM | Report abuse

Free drinks for everyone who thought I was cool in high school and remain so today!

And a double for MN, who started it.

Posted by: byoolin was cool in High School, if that's how you want it to be. | July 22, 2008 11:26 AM | Report abuse

Only if you specifically invite Jed over, byoolin!

OH! THE HUMIDITY!

Posted by: Elias Howe | July 22, 2008 11:28 AM | Report abuse

Let's all start over and make fun of the celebs? I think anything about parenting should be banned and anything from OB should be forgotten.

Posted by: Irishgirl | July 22, 2008 11:29 AM | Report abuse

***
agree. i'm relatively new to blogging on this site, altho' a long time reader, so i hesitate to stick my 2 cents in but cannot resist: i find the back and forth w/the OP people unpleasant. this is supposed to be fun. to laugh out loud at people's hilarious comments is what this is about.

Posted by: irish girl is right on, in janet's humble opinion. frankie agrees. | July 22, 2008 11:33 AM | Report abuse

I watched the Denise show that I recorded:
This one is pretty YAWN!!!

Denise has the divorce forecasting mark (tatoo) removed (hidden)

She's getting ready to go to Hawaii with her sister and friends. She thinks her big problem is her big butt, and she confesses she doesnt like flying after 9/11. (sure, like everyone loves stripping down to their lilo leggings, and having to sit starving on an airplane with no food or water!) She has panic attacks, etc.

In Maui, there's a lot of whining about the paparazzi hounding her. (There is ONE photographer!) Perhaps it might be helpful if she didn't make a big scene at the Starbucks at the airport. It's not like you didn't fly first class (BTW - United serves Starbucks coffee in-flight.) "I hope they don't follow us to our hotel" -- waa waa waa....

They are at the Westin. (We snuck into that pool last time we were in Maui - it's pretty fun) Denise is whining because the "paps" are here. (Still only ONE photog)

"They are everywhere!" (Ok, now there's TWO snapping pictures while Denise takes her surfing lesson.)

The last day the girls decide to sunbathe topless on the beach. The ONE pap that has been following Denise around shows up. She's worried now that she has her top off that the boobies will be on the web. (It's not like she hasn't shown her shoes off in Playboy.)

"The paparazzi have been hounding me this entire trip. It's so traumatic!" (Denise, that would be ONE!! dude snapping pictures. It's not like you had a bunch of autograph seekers following you around, invading your privacy. Hey, and next time be proud of you boobies! Mine used to look like that!)

That's pretty much it -- YAWN!!!
Next week: she is out promoting her show.

Posted by: anonymous lurker | July 22, 2008 11:35 AM | Report abuse

"Anything about parenting be banned"?

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | July 22, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

Right on Janet! Now who wants to throw down with me over my dislike of Angelina?

Anyone? Her eyebrows give me the willies.

Posted by: Irishgirl | July 22, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

"I am starting to miss the days when everyone jumped on me for not loving Angelina."

I'm with you there, Irishgirl. I never liked Angelina. She strikes me as very strange and unsettling. Something about her does not sit right with me.

Posted by: Emily | July 22, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

You want to go post over there and cause trouble, go right ahead. Just don't talk about it here.

Posted by: ep | July 22, 2008 11:36 AM | Report abuse

"Wait, that would harsh good snark on Britney; Denise; and the mother of the two talentless kids, one of whom has a drug problem, who has a reality show who shall not be named lest I draw a luv post."

No, I mean real parenting with real parents and cute kids. Like mine, oh wait, I broke my rule. Back to Angelina.

Posted by: Irishgirl | July 22, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Bawlmer | July 22, 2008 11:21 AM

This post is stupid. You are not funny.

Posted by: Shutup | July 22, 2008 11:38 AM | Report abuse

"Only if you specifically invite Jed over, byoolin!
OH! THE HUMIDITY!
Posted by: Elias Howe | July 22, 2008 11:28 AM"

Does that mean we get possum again?! I love possum en croute.

"Some might see poor parenting. I see a heartwarming picture of mother and son worthy of a Hallmark card. Posted by: MoCoSnarky"

"Baby, you gotta help Momma smoke her cigs. She's three cartons away from winning a new recording contract."

Posted by: Maybe Bawlmer's not so dead after all. | July 22, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

anonymous lurker watches, so we don't have to. Thanks, AL!

Posted by: Nosy Parker | July 22, 2008 11:39 AM | Report abuse

This post is stupid. You are not funny.

Posted by: Shutup | July 22, 2008 11:38 AM

Don't you people have anything better to do than to be an @sshole on WaPo blogs?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Just the line about the purlioned razor is more than funny enough to carry the whole posting. You just don't have a sense of humor worthy of a Lizard!

Posted by: to Shutup | July 22, 2008 11:41 AM | Report abuse

you're spot on. enough already. go read and comment at will, but please don't bring it back here. as a lawyer myself, if i have to go mano a mano w/MN to preserve this site, i will, but i'm old and creaky and really don't want to unless it's a mandate from the chief. frankie's services, however, are another issue.
and as for angelina, she's a nut. you can hire the tension wires humming inside her brain. the eyebrows? forget them. look at the eyes. crazy as celinedion.
and as for the parenting banned comment, i believe it was in the context of people having or not having children. of course the nuts like britney, denise, etc. are exempt from that ban. all celebrity parents are exempt.

Posted by: janet nominates ep for the nobel peace prize | July 22, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

"This post is stupid. You are not funny.
Posted by: Shutup"

I'M HIT! MEDIC!

Posted by: Bawlmer thinks it's just a flesh wound. | July 22, 2008 11:42 AM | Report abuse

Okay, ignore the trolls. Except the "Luv" trolls. They are just trying to stir up trouble and get us to turn on each other.

Remember, Celebritologies. Focus.

Angelina. Has she adoped a new kid today?

I saw an interview with Brad where he admitted with all thos small kids running around, he and Angelina don't get a lot of sleep at night. You know, Brad, there is a cure for that.

Posted by: ep | July 22, 2008 11:43 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ep | July 22, 2008 11:36 AM

Seriously, do you guys realize you're not in highschool and NOT funny? its fun making fun of celebrities and snarking on them. its another thing creating your own "island" and having "officers." stupid.

Posted by: Shutup | July 22, 2008 11:44 AM | Report abuse

I'd suggest we all follow ep's advice. You don't want to get on the bad side of a Texas girl (even if she has moved away from said State), especially when they are studying for the Bar.

I need to focus on my work at the moment, but your fearless leader will return in due time.

Posted by: Chief Dorkus | July 22, 2008 11:46 AM | Report abuse

shutup your just jelus! an isladn is to much fun!!

Posted by: luvlizards | July 22, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

And for those tempted to keep carrying on about other blogs and trolls, keep in mind our beloved Queen Liz. Her Most Gracious Majesty could get in trouble if her minions spread dissent in the blogosphere.

Posted by: ep | July 22, 2008 11:48 AM | Report abuse

1. does anyone care about jay leno?
2. has anyone heard any of the songs of miley cyrus's new album?
off to breakfast w/my BFF. her mother just returned from her 65th high school reunion in indiana, where she was the sole entertainment. she tap dances. she received a standing ovation. top that, britney.

Posted by: janet ponders a few things | July 22, 2008 11:49 AM | Report abuse

Another MM

"We had robust discussions on OB, and which meant that sometimes we disagreed strongly, but most of us were grown-ups and could take it. Get over it already - don't be a lame lizard (LL)"

The loudest OBers were pretentious bores.

anon

"I think anything about parenting should be banned and anything from OB should be forgotten"

Yup. Parenting advice from sharpfaced harpies on this blog!!! Who gives a rat's a$s?

Posted by: Get over this | July 22, 2008 11:50 AM | Report abuse

Hey shutup, did the doc miss when he was doing that vasectomy and do a lobotomy instead? Maybe you told him the wrong brain to cut on? Just asking.

Posted by: to Shutup | July 22, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: ep | July 22, 2008 11:43 AM

**********
Brad, that's what happens when you hook up with a Kid-hoarder. You think those people married to cat hoarders have it any easier?

(There is something seriously wrong with that chick and hopefully it rub off on the kids too much. We don't need instability exponentially increasing, we just need enough to keep us entertained.)

Posted by: anonymous lurker | July 22, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

"1. does anyone care about jay leno?"

Not I, but I do care about Conan O'Brien. That's the only reason I was interested in that announcement.

Posted by: Bawlmer | July 22, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

"as a lawyer myself, if i have to go mano a mano w/MN to preserve this site, i will,"

Right. Because your comments yesterday were so non-confrontational and conducive to fun discussion. You people are nuts. When you get all high and mighty, you are being exactly like every other blog. When you make fun of and bash others, you are being mean regardless of where you post it. EP is right, chill out and let it go.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 11:52 AM | Report abuse

anonymous lurker, I saw a clip of that episode on The Soup. I loved how Joel McHale pointed out that DR was getting her knickers in a twist about wanting privacy while being followed by a tv crew.

Posted by: jake e. poo | July 22, 2008 11:54 AM | Report abuse

Having lurked on both blogs, I don't have a pony in this race. But I think the Lizards started this, because they went to the other blogs purposely to cause trouble and rile the people on the other blogs. Look whose cryin' now.

Posted by: Lurker on both blogs | July 22, 2008 11:55 AM | Report abuse

But the major flaw here is that the things YOU were saying about US were mean. Don't be shocked at retaliation. I don't know who started it but let's decline to cross-link and let...this...all..go. And I'm torn on even posting this, because I don't want to engage - I want someone to link the Britney pic...and maybe that Daniel Craig pic. Definitely that Daniel Craig pic. I don't want to engage some other, different blog in some stupid little fued. But there, I posted it anyway. Such is life.

Posted by: SIgh | July 22, 2008 11:56 AM | Report abuse

FEUD, dammit. FEUD. Argh.

Posted by: Sigh | July 22, 2008 11:57 AM | Report abuse

So that we can get luvlinsey to say something:
here's what happened on Living la vida Lohan.

Still in Las Vegas: Lilo 2.0 shows up in the studio wearing hot pants (what every 14 year old should be wearing), and meets up with the song writer who gives her a new song.

Dina has some guy approach her in the gym babbling on about wanting to work for her. She does some research on the web, and decides to use this guy to do Ali's video. Since everything is all about Dina, she dances with this guy for a while, and talks about how she performed and trained, blah blah blah

(Can I just say that hot pants and a crop top that "just covers" a 14 year old's boobs -- REALLY not appropriate unless you're trying to exploit your daughter?)

Cody sets it up so mom dances at the Palms in a show. Flyers are posted all over, he's sold tickets, and a small crowd has gathered to watch her dance. Dina looks surprised, pretends she hasn't rehearsed ! WOW!! She dances with this Jonas guy and I'm officially annoyed.

Then I've noticed as she does her narrative thing, that she keeps talking, but her face doesn't really move - just her mouth - and I wish it would stop.

At the end of the recording gig there's a dinner party where Cody is pretty much ignored and they will be so lucky if he doesnt end up on Dr. Drew's Celebrity-by-Sibling-Relationship Rehab.

Once they are home 2.0 wants to know what's going on with her album. She's told that the tracks need to be "worked on" (I'll say!)

Then the agent calls about someone wanting Lilo 2.0 to be in a remaking of "Troll" and "Fame" - that's right Dina rush her down the same path as 1.0...

Posted by: anonymous lurker (with poor punctuation) | July 22, 2008 11:58 AM | Report abuse

I second that, Sigh. Let's all just let it go. And bask in the healing light of Daniel Craig.

Anyone got the ScarJo pic?

Posted by: Bawlmer | July 22, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

White flag waving! We'll let it go. Just leave us alone to snark in peace.

Posted by: Fine, you win! OP rules, Celebritology drools, ok? | July 22, 2008 12:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: jake e. poo | July 22, 2008 11:54 AM
***
I was cracking up because it was at most 2 or 3 paps, keeping a pretty safe distance....and she was waaah waa waa....

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

ep

"As Attorney General of Celebritology Island I am declaring a moratorium on all references to what is going over in other blogs. What they do, is none of our business. What we do is snark on celebritogies. When we stop doing that, this blog becomes a lot less interesting."

Shove it.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 12:01 PM | Report abuse

"Celebrity-by-Sibling-Relationship"

Brilliant coinage, AL! The perfect term for Khloe Kardashian (among a multitude).

Posted by: Nosy Parker | July 22, 2008 12:02 PM | Report abuse

jake.e.poo that was me at 12:01

Posted by: anonymous lurker | July 22, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Did I hear right, is Khloe Kardashian going to be on "Dancing With the Stars?" It's very generous of ABC to televise train wrecks as they happen.

Posted by: Bawlmer | July 22, 2008 12:04 PM | Report abuse

Ok, its getting a little scary over here. I'm going over to Gene's chat. When I come back I hope things are back to normal.

Posted by: jake e. poo | July 22, 2008 12:06 PM | Report abuse

Christian Bale arrested for beating his mother? Does the mean my taste in men is bad or just my taste in celebrity crushes? Is their 12 steps for that?

Posted by: kvs | July 22, 2008 12:07 PM | Report abuse

I apologize in advance for copying and pasting a comment from another Washington Post chat here. I only wish I'd had the wit to write the following myself (although I have a short list of lizard-suspects!).
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Prescott, Ariz.: Well, we had thought the long national nightmare was over ... until yesterday, when an "activist" court threw out the "nipplegate" fine. I had finally started sleeping again; the brazen 9/16th of a second image of Janet Jackson's nipple slowly had subsided in my mind's eye. Now it is all triggered again -- the nightmares, cold sweats ... you get the picture.

I remember the initial event rocked the nation's capital pretty hard. You wags and pundits couldn't stop obsessing about the event, perhaps even more so than those of us here in "flyover country." So how's this going over there in the Village? I checked the news and I didn't hear about any riots or civil unrest, but you know how spotty our information is here in the hinterlands. Is there word of any pending congressional investigations? Have any of my favorite protectors of America's decency and innocence, such as Larry Craig or David Vitter, issued scathing reprisals of this travesty of justice?

(hyperlink to Post article)

Matthew Mosk: I thought this question (from nearby GOP nominee John McCain's hometown) would be a good one to end things on... why, after all, should we wind things up on a high note?

From: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2008/07/20/DI2008072001266.html

Posted by: Nosy Parker | July 22, 2008 12:09 PM | Report abuse

Wait a minute, they are remaking Troll. Is that the one where June Lockhart spins around and turns into Anne Lockhart? If so, oh good god why??? Lost Boys 2 would be better than that.

Posted by: ep | July 22, 2008 12:10 PM | Report abuse

I was watching Denise Richard's reality show on Saturday (yikes, what a trainwreck), and all I could think was that she and Charlie are a perfect fit. There was a moment in there that cracked me up though. She was babysitting her teenage nephews, who had some friends over, and one of the boys brought the Playboy where Denise posed. So the nephew says something like, "Geez, that's my aunt. I don't want to see that. Would you want to see your aunt naked?"

Response from friend "Yes, if she's hot."

It made me cringe and laugh at the same time.

Posted by: Emily | July 22, 2008 12:13 PM | Report abuse

See the guy from The Soup got to the root of the issue. However, the camera crew following DR is attached to her paycheck (it's not like she has a job or can act) that pack of photogs (as anonymous lurker pointed out its just the one) aren't paying her anything. She can't quite sell herself one place and give it away for free while on holiday.

Posted by: petal | July 22, 2008 12:15 PM | Report abuse

First Bill Murray, now Christian Bale? Ugh. Although the Bale story seems odd. His stepmother for a number of years was Gloria Steinham. Not the type of woman who would marry into an abusive family.

Posted by: pockets | July 22, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Go home Emily. You are boring, mean AND STUPID. Stay on the other blog, where you and yours belong.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 12:17 PM | Report abuse

Thank you, MN. Does this mean we are finally shed of the MMs? (Raises the teacup in lieu of champagne glass)

Posted by: Proud to be judgmental | July 22, 2008 12:22 PM | Report abuse

RollerCityRoller needs to take a long hard in the "mean mirror" - their face is all there is to see. Also look in the "lazy mirror" - posts the same thing on both blogs. Originality must not be their thing.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 12:24 PM | Report abuse

kvs: Who are your other crushes? Only if you tell us can we tell you how lame/awful/terrific/great they are.

Posted by: byoolin wonders if Christian Slater ever makes anyone's list anymore. | July 22, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

"'Geez, that's my aunt. I don't want to see that. Would you want to see your aunt naked?'
Response from friend 'Yes, if she's hot.'
It made me cringe and laugh at the same time.
Posted by: Emily | July 22, 2008 12:13 PM"

Snrk. Well put. I think Pam Anderson's kids are going to have some very strange moments growing up.

Posted by: Bawlmer is singing "Stacey's Mom". | July 22, 2008 12:26 PM | Report abuse

Hear, hear, ep.

Angelina has always given me the heebie-jeebies. Ugh.

And I know a lot of the women here will disagree, but Christian Bale has, too. Something about him has never sat right with me, but that might be due to his choice of acting roles. I wonder what his stepmother, Gloria Steinem, thinks of his violence against women!

The most effective thing we can do is IGNORE THE MMs. If they don't get the attention they so obviously seek, they'll go away, back to their own world.

Off soapbox now and back to snarking on celebs.

Posted by: Californian | July 22, 2008 12:27 PM | Report abuse

byoolin, sasquatch, ep and anyone averse to name-calling, the next round's on Emily and I.

psst, Emily, you brought your checkbook. right?

Billy Bob and Angelina: Right. Because what Angelina really seems to be looking for at this point in her life is the career boost of appearing in a comedy with her ex-husband.

Posted by: MN | July 22, 2008 12:29 PM | Report abuse

2. has anyone heard any of the songs of miley cyrus's new album?
Posted by: janet ponders a few things | July 22, 2008 11:49 AM

Janet, my 9 year old asked me to take her to buy the new Miley Cyrus album today. She set aside some birthday money for this purchase. I will report back tomorrow with my review.

Posted by: new england | July 22, 2008 12:32 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: SIgh | July 22, 2008 11:56 AM

Who is YOU and US when a troll speaks?

Posted by: Conundrum 101 | July 22, 2008 12:35 PM | Report abuse

Christian Slater ... yes yes. On my list.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 12:36 PM | Report abuse

Ooh, I hope you're being serious MN. Celeb talk can really bring all kinds together. And I mean, I like kids, too.

I'm still waiting this Christian Bale thing out. So many of these family assult cases are awful - like, made up or just a mess with everyone at fault. When I get them, and I think the prosecutors and the police feel the same way, it's like when Silent Bob would step on one rake, and shudder...and step on another rake...and shudder,,,and so on. Crushes can just be on moratorium safely. I want to make it clear I'm talking about ones where someone shows up at the magistrate a few days later and swears out a complaint, not emergency situations.

Posted by: Sigh | July 22, 2008 12:37 PM | Report abuse

Whoa there, cowboy. I am a celebritology exclusive - have no idea where to even get to the other blog. I'm all for dissipating this mess, but I am also an observer with opinions. I tried not to say that, and acknowledged that maybe we started it, but it's not exactly a case of hardened criminals and innocent victims here, which is why it's nice that people can be like, "yeah that was stupid, let's get along now."

Posted by: Sigh | July 22, 2008 12:40 PM | Report abuse

"Sideshow" Bob, Sigh.

Silent Bob is Jay's friend in the Kevin Smith movies.

Posted by: byoolin sends Sigh some snootchie bootchies. | July 22, 2008 12:41 PM | Report abuse

Sideshow Bob...sorry guys. No brain today.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Sigh, I am always serious about drinking.

Posted by: MN | July 22, 2008 12:45 PM | Report abuse

Sigh, I hear ya. I workd for a domestic violence organization last summer. Most of the cases were true. Some though, you could jsut tell they were just trying "to get even" with the person for breaking up with them.

I do not understand the mental process of someone who accuses someone else of a crime (with all of the serious repercussions therefrom) just to mess with them.

This thing about Christian Bale does bother me. Maybe not the police approach, but how the paper is treating it. Firs the thing about "let's not ruin the premiere" and the first paragraph seemd to try to justify it with something about tempers being short due to stress. WHAT?????!!!!!!!! Yeah, stressed out over a freaking movie premier is a justification for battery. Musta missed that defense in bar review.

Basically, domestic violence is a serious issue. It is never justified. Nor should accusations of it be used for revenge.

Posted by: ep | July 22, 2008 12:46 PM | Report abuse

-------------------------------
gulp... okay... I'll give you top five and Bale was probably only #5 status or so. Here's the rest

#4 Ryan Gosling (And not for that crapfest the Notebook!)
#3 Clive Owen (makes Daniel Craig look like a troll)
#2 George Clooney (I try to forget whatsername the cocktail waitress in Vegas)
#1 Benicio DelToro (He's been my biggest crush forever even though I imagine he smells like a combination of Pall Malls and BO. But the man can act.)

Posted by: kvs | July 22, 2008 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Yup, totally agreed.

Posted by: Sigh | July 22, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

Californian come on, maybe if you stop calling them MMs, they will just talk about celebs.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 12:55 PM | Report abuse

*sigh* things are really going downhill here. time for a lunch break.

Posted by: b | July 22, 2008 12:56 PM | Report abuse

I checked IMDB, it was the Troll I was thinking of. It even has a link to the Ali Lohan story.

Here is what has me bwahahing instead of studying. This was made in 1986. The kid whose sister has to save the world is ...

Wait for it

Harry Potter, Jr.

Bwahahahahahahaahahahahahahaha

Posted by: ep | July 22, 2008 1:06 PM | Report abuse

Reading this blog and trying to keep up with the intellect in here is going to drive me to drink early today. Last time I started this early, I woke up to find my younguns playing with the empty bottles.

Posted by: MN | July 22, 2008 1:18 PM | Report abuse

now the impostors come out of the woodwork.

Step Away From the Keyboard.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 1:20 PM | Report abuse

If any one cares - Bale has now been released. Evidently he "lashed" out at his mother and sister Suday night, and they went and reported it Monday during the day. Sounds more and more like there was an argument, yelling, and they decided to get back at him.

I have trouble believing a woman like Gloria Steinem would marry into a family where violence against women was ever an option.

Posted by: MGC | July 22, 2008 1:35 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: MGC | July 22, 2008 1:35 PM

Violence can come from any direction at any time. The trick is letting it only happen once.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: | July 22, 2008 2:00 PM

Sad and very true.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 2:11 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: NW DC | July 22, 2008 10:17 AM

#########

I'm just checking in (late) and saw this. Thanks for the wonderful comparison of Omarosa to e. coli. Too bad the CDC can't get to work on a cure for this noxious plague. It surely counts as a national emergency.

Posted by: alex dreads the next reality show with Omarosa and Brooke Hogan | July 22, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

Bale makes bail;
Now he's out of gaol.
Who will tell the tale?
Not sister: she says 'no sale'
And calls to rep for comment fail.

Posted by: byoolin bought this poem at a White Elephant Sale. | July 22, 2008 2:13 PM | Report abuse

You people are nuts
***
why did you put just part of my comment and omit what i thought was the funny part about my being old and creaky? you did an edit that slants the comment to your point of view. whether i am or am not nuts is a diagnosis for someone more qualified than you to make. and if i am nuts, i'm certainly happy w/it. better to be nuts than a big, snoring bore.
high and mighty? no one's ever said that to me before. i feel empowered. does that mean i get to go to the front of the line?

Posted by: janet has never once gone to the op site and is blissfully ignorant of it or any other site than thi | July 22, 2008 2:16 PM | Report abuse

RIP Estelle Getty!!

I catch the Golden Girls every now and then when I'm off work and it still cracks me up after all these years.

Posted by: WDC 21113 | July 22, 2008 2:31 PM | Report abuse

thanks WDC. I was just about to post and I echo your sentiments exactly Estelle was funny!

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | July 22, 2008 2:41 PM | Report abuse

RE: byoolin bought this poem at a White Elephant Sale. | July 22, 2008 2:13 PM
=======================================

See? This is why byoolin is the Poet Laureate of Lizard Island. That boy can rhyme.

He knows from poetry.

Posted by: Curmudgeon is amqzed at byoolin's peotic fecundity | July 22, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

My grandmother always snarked on the Golden Girls. She thought they were ridiculous and inappropriate (all the dating and talk about sex I guess). I don't necessarily agree that senior citizens shouldn't have those issues in their lives, but it was kind of much. Estelle Getty, RIP, was great though.

Posted by: Emily | July 22, 2008 2:52 PM | Report abuse

Curmudgeon can't type

Posted by: Mudge's fingers are grounded today | July 22, 2008 2:53 PM | Report abuse

Ken cheated on Barbie with one of those street trash Bratz dolls....hope he wore a condom.

Posted by: Jem | July 22, 2008 2:31 PM

Well, OK Ken is AC/DC. But Ken's "buddy" is straight gay! NTTIAWWT

Posted by: | July 22, 2008 2:37 PM

whats "NTTIAWWT"????

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 2:55 PM | Report abuse

Dorkus took the spirit fingers away from 'Mudge today.

Posted by: alex | July 22, 2008 2:57 PM | Report abuse

NTTIAWWT

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

- Seinfeld

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 2:59 PM | Report abuse

NTTIAWWT

Not
That
There
Is
Anything
Wrong
With
That

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

janet: i feel empowered.

*******

Just as long as you don't get embiggened!

Posted by: alex advised janet to stick w/ her own play group | July 22, 2008 3:00 PM | Report abuse

Has anyone seen this?

10 Artists Who Should Stop Making Records

Friday list idea? Liz?

Also, anon @ 2:55 PM, www.urbandictionary.com is a good source for slang and acronyms. That's where I found out what a "wh*re bath" was.

Posted by: jake e. poo | July 22, 2008 3:07 PM | Report abuse

Emily, the show was FICTION! Get a grip.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 3:15 PM | Report abuse

Emily, the show was FICTION! Get a grip.

Posted by: | July 22, 2008 3:15 PM

You win the cut and paste across all blogs prize. Now what are you going to do? Go to Disneyland?

Posted by: Go Torture Your Own Knid | July 22, 2008 3:19 PM | Report abuse

Estelle Getty's character is where I got my "picture this" line. RIP Estelle.

Posted by: petal | July 22, 2008 3:23 PM | Report abuse

Before she descended into Alzheimers', my grandmother enjoyed watching the Golden Girls with my mom.

Now my mother and grandmother did NOT GET ALONG, but as my grandmother became more infirm, her children agreed to take turns taking care of her. My dad and I usually had to run interference between the two of them when it was Mom's turn. Except when the Golden Girls was on. They'd watch and laugh together.

The Golden Girls made them realize how much they had in common as they aged together.

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | July 22, 2008 3:27 PM | Report abuse

MoCoSnarky the show was FICTION! Get a grip.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 3:37 PM | Report abuse

Emily, the show was FICTION! Get a grip.

Posted by: | July 22, 2008 3:15 PM

*********

If you read Emily's post again, you will see that 1) she did not say anything that implied in any way that she thought this show was real and 2) she did not say anything that would give the notion that she, herself had any big problem with Golden Girls. She just related a story about how her grandmother reacted to the show. The comment "it was a bit much" does not really rise to the level of having lost one's grip.

So, yo fatty, carm down! (and in your own words, get a grip!)

Posted by: sunnydaze wonders whether Emily brought her fan club? | July 22, 2008 3:41 PM | Report abuse

So, yo fatty, carm down! (and in your own words, get a grip!)

Sunnydaze, it was a blog comment. GET A GRIP!

Posted by: td | July 22, 2008 3:46 PM | Report abuse

I think someone suggested, rightly, to just ignore the troll that's been trying to stir things up on Celebritology lately. One of the things that sets us apart from another blog that shall not be named, is that we snark on celebrities and not each other.

Posted by: Maybe if we ignore it, it will go away | July 22, 2008 3:50 PM | Report abuse

td, no need to yell.

Posted by: sunnydaze | July 22, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

"Get Agrippina!"?

Caligula's sister Agrippina Minor, or his mother Agrippina Major?

I thought the Romanes eunt domus?

Posted by: catullus byoolinus ovid | July 22, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Sorry guys. I do have a fan club. The trolls seem to like me. And I apologize for that in advance.

Posted by: Emily | July 22, 2008 3:51 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: methinks | July 22, 2008 10:45 AM

*********

I can't stand Richard Cohen.

If you think RCR is bad for holding a grudge for something that was said on OP months ago, I can beat that in spades.

I'm holding a grudge against Richard Cohen for something he wrote probably a decade ago (or more). He wrote a column deriding the women of Washington for wearing tennis shoes and other ugly footwear during their commutes when they should be wearing something more visually appealing for the edification of the male commuters. (I'm really not exaggerating.)

Granted, tennies and business attire are a declasse combo. But has Richard Cohen ever tried negotiating the Metro and a long trek thru the streets of DC in all kinds of weather wearing stockings and heels? (I hope not.) And have you SEEN Richard Cohen? He is not a looker by any stretch of the imagination. He does not have any business lecturing anyone else on their attire or relative attractiveness.

I can't stand Richard Cohen.

Posted by: alex *really* knows how to hold a grudge | July 22, 2008 3:52 PM | Report abuse

Agrippina Minor. That mother was a Mother if you get my meaning.

Posted by: ep | July 22, 2008 3:53 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Maybe if we ignore it, it will go away | July 22, 2008 3:50 PM

Whatevs. I've been reading this blog for a while now, and the regular posters constantly slam other, newer posters. Perhaps its unintentional (though i have my doubts), but its definitely there.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 3:54 PM | Report abuse

Agrippina Minor. That mother was a Mother if you get my meaning.

Posted by: ep | July 22, 2008 3:53 PM

******************************************

Great, now I'm having flashbacks of "I, Claudius".

Posted by: Dorkus | July 22, 2008 3:55 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, trolls, we slam 'em as we see 'em.

DUCK!

Posted by: Curmudgeon says if you can't take the heat, put down the bag of Cheetos and walk slowly away | July 22, 2008 3:57 PM | Report abuse

byoolin: "Get Agrippina!"?

*******

Oooh. Thanks for reminding me of I, Claudius. (I saw John Castle, who played Postumus, in a Sherlock Holmes rerun this weekend and it made me want to pull out my I, Claudius DVD set.) Now, those people really knew how to play dirty.

Posted by: alex is easily sidetracked | July 22, 2008 3:58 PM | Report abuse

I see Dorkus got the same idea! Something else to watch on the island!

Posted by: alex will queue up I, Claudius after Buffy and Firefly | July 22, 2008 3:59 PM | Report abuse

Hi folks,

I've had to chair a workshop today. Most interesting topic you can possibly imagine: ISO 9001 implementation in software development.

Needless to say, I need a drink (Drink in *that* malapropism...). After reviewing today's thread, I'm surprised that the Tiki Bar is not jam packed.

Methinks, I dimly recall that MN offered to buy me a drink. I'll take her up on her kind offer. Do you have any good imperial pils in the fridge? If not, I'll take a Beefeater and tonic.

I think I'd rather be sitting on the dock somewhere on Cape Breton, having fish and chips with my beer.

Posted by: Sasquatch | July 22, 2008 4:01 PM | Report abuse

alex advised janet to stick w/ her own play group
***
don't worry. i ventured over there once to see what the shouting was about and that was it. no interest in any of that. like this group and that's the fact jack.
very sad about estelle getty. my neighbor has alzheimer's and it's so sad because she is the loveliest person.
as far as grudges go, i still have one against the high school senior who kept me off the varsity pom line senior year due to my alleged smart a*$ behavior. thanks, ann r.

Posted by: janet can still kick above her head, which impresses frankie no end | July 22, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Speaking of I Claudius - Did anybody see Rome? I thought it was an awesome series. Titus Pullo was hot.

Posted by: Emily | July 22, 2008 4:02 PM | Report abuse

"and the regular posters constantly slam other, newer posters"

Agreed. And that's fine if that's how you play, but all this "we're better than other blogs" is just silly.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 4:10 PM | Report abuse

Emily, I just started watching the first season. At first I didn't think I would like it, but I'm really getting into the historical aspect of it (I'm a history geek) and of course all the proper nakked men. Gotta love Netflix.

Posted by: jake e. poo | July 22, 2008 4:11 PM | Report abuse

and the regular posters constantly slam other, newer posters
***
i'm a new poster and i've never been slammed by any of the celebritology regulars. but i have been by OP bloggers, for comments i consider benign.

Posted by: janet hearts the celebritology regulars | July 22, 2008 4:12 PM | Report abuse

janet, that's the difference between dogs and cats. Dogs give you positive feedback. Cats just let you know how boring you are until the next mealtime (or headrubbing).

I too see many cases of Alzheimers at the home where my mother lives. Sometimes it comes on frighteningly fast. And sometimes the patients live many, many years in that condition. It's beyond horrifying.

Emily, I missed Rome since I have to get my cable fix at someone else's house, but I heard it was worth watching. I have the DVDs on my wish list to own.

Posted by: alex | July 22, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

Emily- I'm much more of a Lucius Vorenus kind of girl. I love the broody, tortured gents. Plus, red hair on the right guy is a good thing.

I was watching the 40 best and worst beach bodies on E the other day. Anyone catch that gem? My husband was VERY impressed with Kim Kardashian's curves. He was not tainted at all with having any background understanding about who she was, and I didn't let him know. I'm just happy I married a guy who loves a big ol' butt.

Posted by: atb | July 22, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

I guess if Richard Cohen has time to write about tattoos, all must be right with the world. Looks like I should call my broker and talk about investing in some real estate! Maybe real estate in Baghdad!

Posted by: MoCoSnarky | July 22, 2008 4:16 PM | Report abuse

continued from yesterday's chat on Natalie Portman's boyfriend. She's in one of his videos

please to enjoy.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 4:24 PM | Report abuse

Titus Pullo was a great character.

Posted by: NW DC | July 22, 2008 4:27 PM | Report abuse

****

janet, we'd have at you, but we're all deathly afraid of frankie's retribution. (Hahaha.)

Posted by: alex breaks the truth to janet | July 22, 2008 4:30 PM | Report abuse

i miss just chatting about futbol (soccer) players.

Posted by: sigh | July 22, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

I have one word for you folks today:

Posted by: Dingleberries | July 22, 2008 4:34 PM | Report abuse

"Emily, agree about Rome. It was a great series and a shame that HBO killed it after only 2 seasons (very expensive to produce.)"

At least they wrapped it up nicely at the end and did not leave it at loose ends. I watched it on Netflix as well. It was almost an obsession, waiting for the next DVD to arrive.

Posted by: Emily | July 22, 2008 4:36 PM | Report abuse

I am feeling better today now that Christian Slater is back on the "yes" list. As I stated a few weeks ago when we were discussing what celebrity each of us looked like I said I had been told by both of my wife's sister at separate times I look like Christian. Then just last night I met my co-workers wife at the supermarket and she said you look just like Christian Slater. So if he is still considered hot I feeling good today!
Too bad I really don't think I look much like him outside of the fact we are the same age, height, weight, and hair style and hair color.

Posted by: dw | July 22, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

So I Googled "ISO 9000 drink" because I thought, gee, "ISO 9000" would be an AWESOME name for a drink. You'd have to get the measurements perfect every time and serve it in a calibrated beaker, but I think it would be splendid!

Did you know there's bartending software out there that has recipes--including calories and nutritional information? The shocking thing is that somewhere, there is nutritional content in cocktails.

This makes me happy!

Posted by: MoCoSnarky...into the Google | July 22, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

I think having parents who have a lot of untreated psychiatric problems causes self-esteem issues for kids. Our society has so many real problems that directly impact self-esteem (ummmm...obesity, for one).

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

i miss just chatting about futbol (soccer) players.

Posted by: sigh | July 22, 2008 4:34 PM

****
sigh, There were some pictures of a Spanish national player on TMZ. I can't find the link, but he's a hottie. He can bring my drink anytime....

____________

Posted by: | July 22, 2008 4:38 PM

HUH? -- are you referencing Angelina's kid-hoarding? or did you mistake this for the OP? Because this comment sounds a bit too serious for this forum.

Posted by: anonymous lurker | July 22, 2008 4:48 PM | Report abuse

"but i have been by OP bloggers, for comments i consider benign."

Peace, Janet. I commented on that because your back and forth yesterday with the woman who objected to the child-free website was harsh, downright OPish(I read both blogs), and just as argumentative as anything I've seen from MN on this blog or elsewhere. All this tit-for-tat is tiresome, apologies for exacerbating it. Enjoy yourself here, there's some fun and witty people here.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 4:49 PM | Report abuse

I have one word for you folks today:

Posted by: Dingleberries | July 22, 2008 4:34 PM

****

Frankie, is that you?

(I really hold janet and frankie in the utmost esteem. Plus, I'm really ascared of frankie's sharp teeth!)

Posted by: alex hearts frankie :-) | July 22, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Pics of Sean and the cigs:

Posted by: WDC 21113 | July 22, 2008 4:55 PM | Report abuse

Wonder where £££ has been?

Posted by: alex ponders a vanished regular | July 22, 2008 5:00 PM | Report abuse

Sas, I think Beefeater & tonic is what you really need today. Maybe a double.

Posted by: methinks | July 22, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

dw, as you know, Christian Slater has had a rough couple of years.

From Wikipedia on Christian Slater:

"Slater has a well tabloid-publicized record of alcohol and drug abuse, and a series of high profile romantic relationships. He splits his time between New York City, Los Angeles, California, and London, England. He has two children by his ex-wife Ryan Haddon: Jaden Zach Haddon-Slater (born April 6, 1999), and Eliana Sophia (born August 15, 2001). Slater divorced Haddon in November 2006.
He dated Christy Turlington in 1995.

Slater has had several altercations with the police and other authorities. On August 11, 1997, he was arrested by police in Los Angeles and charged with three counts of assault with a deadly weapon and one count of battery. Slater, drunk and high on heroin, punched his then-girlfriend, fashion editor Michelle Jonas, in the face at a party and bit a man who attempted to protect her. Slater did not go quietly, but hid in a stairwell and fought with officers, reportedly shouting, "The Germans are coming and they will kill us!" He then attacked a police officer. All the felony charges against him, however, were eventually dropped. He was sentenced to three months in prison and released for good behavior after serving 59 days. In 2003, his wife, Ryan Haddon, was arrested for beating up Slater at a Hard Rock Cafe while on a trip to Las Vegas, and he later received stitches."

He's now dating that super-rich woman who founded the Jimmy Choo shoe line. Life seems to be looking up for him.

Posted by: alex | July 22, 2008 5:08 PM | Report abuse

Wonder where £££ has been?

Posted by: alex ponders a vanished regular | July 22, 2008 5:00 PM

£££ probably didnt want to keep getting slammed by you regular posters.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

Moco snarkey: Your Brooke hogan comment is hysterical!!!!

Posted by: freeT | July 22, 2008 5:10 PM | Report abuse

I like soccer players, don't get me wrong, but "sigh" is not me. We can just with with "I'm different because I use a capital letter."

Posted by: Sigh | July 22, 2008 5:17 PM | Report abuse

EEEEEW, Sas, you probably had to shave your neck and hands and put on a shirt and tie for that workshop!

Posted by: Curmudgeon has been to her share of workshops | July 22, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

I know I have a generic-ish moniker, so it's cool if people use it. If I have to, I'll change...not to Spartan, though.

Posted by: Sigh | July 22, 2008 5:21 PM | Report abuse

Wow, I popped by for a howdy folks and YIKES! All these nasty anonymous posts stirring up trouble.

For the record, I only started coming to this site and posting here a few weeks ago and I never felt unwelcome. I also haven't seen much harshing the snark.

So I guess I'm in the distinct minority as an angelina sympathizer. Pity about that.

Peace, p*nies, puppies and kitties for all, I say. And a drink at the bar, of course.

Posted by: hermespal | July 22, 2008 5:30 PM | Report abuse

sorry Sigh. i use the lowercase sigh when posting. but glad to know that there are others who love soccer players. perhaps we can chat about them more instead of bashing each other and the other blog commentators.

Posted by: sigh | July 22, 2008 5:31 PM | Report abuse

Sometimes I wonder if you might be my coworker. He is male, hairy, and very funny. I am riveted by his hair knuckles.

Posted by: Emily | July 22, 2008 5:39 PM | Report abuse

I meant the last post to be for Sasquatch.

Posted by: Emily | July 22, 2008 5:40 PM | Report abuse

Hey, hermespal. Yeah, the anonymous troll is just trying to stir the pot. Ignore it.

I hope janet has been keeping frankie's teeth sharpened.

*****

'Mudge, I thought you said you stole Sas's razor, so he probably got in trouble for borrowing Ms. Snatchsquatch's when he was getting ready.

Posted by: alex doesn't forget the rainbows | July 22, 2008 5:44 PM | Report abuse

Someone posted as: Go Torture Your Own Knid.

I will, okay?! Once I find it.

Posted by: Ame | July 22, 2008 5:45 PM | Report abuse

"Still waiting for HBO to give me another reason to stay subscribed .... waiting ... waiting ... waiting ...."

Well, there's Ginnifer Goodwin and Amanda Seyfreid in "Big Love."

If drop-dead gorgeous women aren't your thing, though, I got nothin'.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 5:51 PM | Report abuse

Does anyone watch John and Kate Plus 8? They count as celebrities, right? It was on last night (why do I find these reality shows so irresistible?) and they were doing memorable moments over time. And I came to the conclusion that Kate is really a beyotch, especially how she treats John. I guess I shouldn't judge since I would probably also be a raving lunatic if I had that many children. I know I am treading on fragile ground here.

Posted by: Emily | July 22, 2008 5:52 PM | Report abuse

Is Big Love any good? I don't have HBO, but I could probably rent the first season on Netflix.

Posted by: Emily | July 22, 2008 5:58 PM | Report abuse

I've only seen a few minutes of Jon & Kate. Not my cup of tea. Waaay too stressful. I just keep thinking I'd be on trial for a serious crime if I were in Kate's shoes.

Posted by: alex knows her pathetic limitiations | July 22, 2008 6:33 PM | Report abuse

EMILY, YOU ARE A RAVING LUNATIC. JUST SO YOU KNOW.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 6:37 PM | Report abuse

I don't want to engage with the troll, but as far as I'm concerned Emily is welcome here. She may disagree, but she's civil about it and maintains a sense of humor. She also posts under her name rather using anonymous rants. And she doesn't yell by using all caps.

Posted by: alex wants to send the troll some spinach pie | July 22, 2008 7:41 PM | Report abuse

EMILY, YOU ARE A RAVING LUNATIC. JUST SO YOU KNOW.

Posted by: | July 22, 2008 6:37 PM

Pot, calling Kettle. Hello, Kettle.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 8:09 PM | Report abuse

have one word for you folks today:
Posted by: Dingleberries
****
sorry, i was out for awhile, picking up frankie and 2 of her sidekicks from the beauty parlor. they are now fragrant and oh, so beautiful. frankie did not post this nor did i

Posted by: janet | July 22, 2008 8:35 PM | Report abuse

*****
then you need a psychiatric exam. how's that for harsh, OPish, argumentative? all i wrote that her opinion is not fact. he/he's drawing conclusions and passing judgment on someone w/whom she/he does not agree. and that the person who wrote about child free has a first amendment right of free speech and if the objector didn't like it, that's certainly his or her right. but it doesn't make that person's opinion fact. and there is an intelligent and prudent way to disagree, not the rush limbaugh screaming at the top of one's lungs way like a foot stomping 2 year old. and it is judgmental to say someone is rude. there are good judgments and bad judgments and for all of those who believe, there will be a final judgment day. so i try to watch my p's & q's and i certainly don't need the behavior police passing their opinion on me. i'm just going to flick them off as obama did w/the doofs after him.

Posted by: janet's feeling cranky about censorious people | July 22, 2008 8:41 PM | Report abuse

aaargh!!! can't we all just get along?

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 9:55 PM | Report abuse

Clearly the heat has gotten to everyone. Hopefully the upcoming rain will help cool things down.

And I LOVE Jon and Kate Plus 8. But last night was a bit rough, I couldn't believe they allowed it all. Poor Jon.

Posted by: WDC 21113 says carm down y'all! | July 22, 2008 10:18 PM | Report abuse

DW & Byoolin, the Midwest/Colorado reference is not a stretch. It just depends on which part. W.Va. isn't quite fly-over, but no one should be driving through there with those gas prices! I hope that you work from home Byoolin!

Posted by: MzFitz (Geography Teacher, Before W Ruined The US Education System) | July 22, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

" how's that for harsh, OPish, argumentative?"

pretty darn good. Obviously it wasn't an isolated incident. And if you are really a lawyer, as you claimed, you certainly know that none of this invokes the first amendment in the slightest.

Posted by: Anonymous | July 22, 2008 11:16 PM | Report abuse