About Channel '08  |  Blog Partner: PrezVid.com  |  RSS Feeds RSS Feed  (What's RSS?)

Huckabee's First Ad is 'Chuck Norris Approved'

Mike Huckabee starts airing the first ad of his presidential campaign this week, and it co-stars one of his biggest (meanest?) supporters: Chuck Norris.

The star of the TV's "Walker, Texas Ranger" and movie classics like "Top Dog," "The Delta Force," and "Slaughter in San Francisco," among others, recently announced his support for Huckabee, saying the former governor is "The David among them."

The ad debuted this morning during an interview with Huckabee on "Fox News Sunday." The former governor said he hopes the ad will increase interest in his campaign, by convincing folks to visit his Web site to learn more. He also acknowledged the goofy nature of the ad is meant to remind Americans that a presidential campaign can also be fun.

The 60-second "Chuck Norris Approved" commercial show Huckabee and Norris going back and forth on various "facts" about the two men.

"Mike Huckabee is a life-long hunter, who will protect our Second Amendment rights," Norris says.

"There's no chin behind Chuck Norris' beard, only another fist," Huckabee says.

"Mike Huckabee wants to put the IRS out of business," Norris says.

"When Chuck Norris isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the earth down," Huckabee says. "Chuck Norris doesn't endorse, he tells America how it's gonna be," he adds.

Various reports says Huckabee has already shot other TV ads that are expected to air closer to Jan. 3, 2008, the date of the Iowa Caucus.

-- Ed O'Keefe

By Ed O'Keefe |  November 18, 2007; 10:24 PM ET Ad Watch , Mike Huckabee
Previous: The Ads of the Week | Next: Clinton, Rudy, Romney Release New Ads

Comments

LAMER than the WFL. That's pretty lame.

Posted by: Bloodfeud | November 18, 2007 11:46 PM

Well, it's not nearly as silly or childishly dishonest as Rudy's Stalin-tastic ads or most ads.

Of course, if Huckabee had so many great ideas that separate him from charlatans like Rudy, the omission of them says it all.

When I ran for office (I lost b/c Bloomberg spent 85 million dollars to subvert democracy!) my ads were simple laundry lists of the things I promised---guaranteed in writing---to do if elected.

My ideas were so good and concrete/specific, that even my enemies called me "brilliant" and my opponents often praised me too.

EX: the mayor can't give himself a 50% pay raise (as Rudy did) unless all cops and other city workers get the same raise.

EX: all politicians take an oath at their inaugurations (usually swearing on a bible like in court) so I said I'd make a more overt law that says we can ARREST any politician who lies, for perjury. Starting with ME.

(Check out the rest of the incredible list at MayorBrodeur.org: 100 INNOVATIONS FOR NYC)

THIS is what campaigns should be about, yet I see on ABC.com they're more interested in telling Americans what's Rudy's fave movie!

The fact that Rudy doubled NYC's debt in just 8 years or any of the other shocking 50,000 scandals (kerik is a fluff scandal compared to most of Rudy's skeletons)is OFF LIMITS to the media.

Just keep telling us poll numbers, fundraising numbers, and hack endorsements, b/c that's what the voters need to know, right Corporate America?

Posted by: cxb | November 18, 2007 11:54 PM

I've noticed (like everyone else) that Huckabee has been rising in the polls. It seems like the media actually believes he has the opportunity to win now.

Huckabee is just a regular guy with an incredible message. I checked out:

www.mikehuckabee.com
and
www.hucksarmy.com

and got some good info. I didn't know that Huckabee was a supporter of the fair tax...kinda cool.

Posted by: chris | November 18, 2007 11:55 PM

Chuck who?? Isn't he the guy who hawks some sort of 'fitness' equipment on late night tv?

Posted by: Walter Tobias | November 18, 2007 11:55 PM

I like the idea, but they could have been a lot more creative.

Posted by: Jordan | November 18, 2007 11:55 PM

Posted by: Matt | November 18, 2007 11:58 PM

Big deal! Norris endorses Huckabee. So what? Just what qualifies Chuck Norris to judge whether someone would be a good President? Stupid endorsement. Show me a politician who's endorsed by well respected politicians from both sides and then I'll believe a candidate's ads. Certainly not by some hack second string actor. Thought maybe the country learned a lesson by already a second-rate actor to play the part of a living, breathing President. Guess not. Or the people of California would have known better than to elect another two-bit actor. Also apparently not. History has already judged Ronnie Raygun as a flop, the jury is still out on Arnie after he got his wings clipped in the last election cycle .

Posted by: Farmer Fred | November 19, 2007 12:01 AM

Huckabee for President? Please, pull the other one! And WOW, Chuck Norris endorses him? Well, obviously then, Huckabee must be the best man for the job - NOT! Grow up people, and elect the person who can help the country, not some politician endorsed in a crappy ad.

Posted by: Bill Fitzimmons (USAF- Ret) | November 19, 2007 12:04 AM

Chuck doesnt have a chin, he has another fist. I approve, Huckabee for President.

Posted by: ZOMG | November 19, 2007 12:08 AM

Yeah, elect someone who can help the average American, not someone who makes a million a year. I'm an independent who'll most likely vote Democratic this time. I've seen what the Bush-whackers have done to this country, it's time for change. I ask my Republican friends to name me one good thing - just ONE - that Bush and his cronies have done for the average American and do you know what? They can't come up with a single thing! Amazing, but true! Try asking your own friends to name one good thing he's done for average Americans. Then ask them to name something bad that Bush has done. LOTS of responses for the latter, none for the former. Speaks volumes. So Huckabee? Not a chance . Save your money, Republicans, don't throw it away on Huckabee!

Posted by: Bob Lee | November 19, 2007 12:09 AM

Norris is a joke! He wasn't any good as an actor - strictly second rate (talk about wooden performances - he seriously needs a better acting coach) - and he isn't any good selling exercise equipment on late night TV with all the other hucksters. I guess being a flop in both those jobs qualifies him to recognize another flop when he see's one!

Posted by: Terry T - Bakersfield, CA | November 19, 2007 12:13 AM

I would rather have Chuck Norris for President than that lying-phony Hillbillary!!!!!!!!

Posted by: Bobby D | November 19, 2007 12:31 AM

This is a great ad! The next step is to raise Huck the funds to continue airing it & other important messages. That's why I'm taking a stand and donating $100 to Mike Huckabee on November 20th. Together we can make a big difference.

Posted by: Thaddeus Billman | November 19, 2007 12:37 AM

You wrote:
"When Chuck Norris isn't lifting himself up, he's pushing the earth down,"

Actually the ad says:

"When Chuck Norris does a pushup he isn't lifting himself, he's pushing the earth down"

Posted by: TBM | November 19, 2007 12:41 AM

You might want to mention the internet phenomenon of Chuck Norris facts. Doesnt seem like a lot of people are getting the joke.

Posted by: Dan | November 19, 2007 1:12 AM

Mike Huckabee is the freshest thing to hit the political scene in decades. This commercial is a hoot! Huckabee takes the issues and people seriously - but not himself. That's called HUMILITY! We need it, and it's sadly lacking in anyone else running for POTUS.
Mike Huckabee's also the only candidate with the ability to BRIDGE the GAP between the parties and cure the deep fractures in our nation caused by the oral dysentery of congressional players.
He's "Snoopy" and he's got my vote! Watch this FOOT TAPPING video for a little bit of fun:

Posted by: gamama | November 19, 2007 1:23 AM

if this was 1986, and if i had a mullet, i suppose this ad would hold some relevance.

maybe huck can get toto to do his themesong. that will rope in the youth vote!

Posted by: Anonymous | November 19, 2007 1:27 AM

After these past 6 years, I can't stand Republicans and I've become a de facto Democrat. But this ad is hilarious. And to be real about, Huckabee is one of only 2 Republican candidates who aren't complete morons.

Posted by: In Da Pendant | November 19, 2007 1:38 AM

What most people are missing is that the Chuck Norris endorsement appeals to religious conservatives, since Norris is an advocate of conservative religious causes, and maybe only marginally to people who know him from television and movies.

Posted by: Cisco in Paso | November 19, 2007 1:43 AM

This is a good ad. You can download it at mikehuckabee.com.

Posted by: good ad | November 19, 2007 1:46 AM

I don't agree with Huckabee on very many things and I have never seen a Chuck Norris movie, TV show or commercial (until now) but at least they guy is trying to get a little (very little, indeed) humor into the political arena. It's better than some stupid attack ad or some strident celebrity talking about what a good man the Huckster is. Give 'em credit for trying.

Posted by: halhiker | November 19, 2007 1:47 AM

The amazing thing? Not one shotgun Ron Paul comment...

Posted by: WhatThe | November 19, 2007 1:50 AM

This is an embarassment. I can't believe I was just about to max out for Huckabee.

This has got to be the worst introduction for a presidential candidate in the history of presidential politics. Who is this ad targetted to? The 5% of Americans who get the Chuck Norris joke? What about the 95% who have no idea what's behind this joke? How do they view this thing?

I'll tell you how: like it's a joke. Mike Huckabee is running for the President of the United States, not the President of Saturday Night Live.

I've already donated $300 to the campaign and was set to drop the rest of my $2k on the 20th, but I think I'll save my money and start shopping for a serious candidate and not someone who is clearly just shopping himself around as a VP.

Posted by: Mike D. | November 19, 2007 1:56 AM

It's a very funny ad. The point was to be light-hearted and help get the candidate's name more well-known. (It quickly became one of the featured "most discussed" videos on YouTube, for instance, with over 66,000 views in the first 16 hours.) Certainly people will remember this ad much better that the run-of-the-mill boring campaign ads of the other campaigns. Huckabee is a serious and articulate candidate, with thoughtful positions on all the major issues. But that all does him no good if he's not more well-known; in this ad he both highlights his sense of humor and helps fix the name-recognition problem.

Posted by: MML | November 19, 2007 2:20 AM

Mike D.

If you truly like Huckabee I'm certain one of the reasons is because he is nothing like any of the other candidates. He's real, honest, isn't painfully serious, and is not running a "campaign as usual." The great thing about this ad is the fact that it is different and outside the box that has become American politics. Regardless of whether you or anyone else thinks it's a great ad doesn't necessarily matter. The spot catches the eye and helps a person remember both the name and the face. That creates curiosity which leads to people seeking information about Mike as a candidate. The more people look at his stance on the issues, his strong record, and his character the more support he'll draw. Don't be so quick to pass judgment or lose faith. The more "serious" ads with a more direct message are right around the corner.

Posted by: Bryan Horner | November 19, 2007 2:36 AM

Mike, I concur with Bryan. This ad is being played in a limited $60,000 buy in Iowa -- with that ad Mike has gotten numerous plays on national television and thousands and thousands of views online. That, any political pundit will tell you, is a brilliant ad. More traditional, serious issue-based ads are already in the works, waiting for the funds to broadcast them to a wide audience in the early states. If anything, I think the big bang for the buck this ad has received is another reason to trust Mike with your financial support.

Posted by: Joe | November 19, 2007 4:05 AM

A great ad...the purpose was to get people to take notice and visit the web site an see his stand on the issues. Mike has a great sense of humor but is extremely intelligent and a very impressive communicator and takes his run for the presidency very seriously. Without media coverage or millions of dollars...great candidates might never get their message out. This is very creative and very effective. Conservative media does not cover Mikes campaign like they do certain other candidates...hense the ad which is getting him massive media and internet coverage....and some simple minded viewers actually took the ad seriously. Don't you know a brilliant move when you see it?

Posted by: Rena Cook | November 19, 2007 4:25 AM

Mike Huckabee is the only candidate with guts, determination and charisma. Other candidates waffle on subjects whereas Mike comes across totally trustworthy. It is impossible not to like Mike, every news media report coming out is saying great things about him. Even both sides like the guy. Can that be said about any other candidate? Not a chance!

Watch Mike's video debates, he is superb! He wants to give everyone a chance on Main Street, not just those on Wall Street. Mike represents 90% of the population not just 10%. As Mike says he wants to take this Nation "Up" not "Left" or "Right". He wants to put the ordinary citizens picture up in the White House, not his. Mike is skyrocketing in polls all over the place now.

Posted by: Tony | November 19, 2007 6:57 AM

I encourage all to look at Huckabee's website. I think you will be surprised. Even "Dems" will find something they like about him.

He supports: music and the arts education, energy independence, being a good steward in regards to the earth, fair trade, and the fair tax.

We should make informed decisions!

Posted by: Janine | November 19, 2007 8:16 AM

Very funny add! Great soundtrack too.
I don't think I'll be voting for Governor
Huckabee soon (I am lifelong democrat who
is supporting Governor Richardson) but I
think it is going to appeal to independents with a sense of humor.

Posted by: WesternNY Geologist | November 19, 2007 8:50 AM

Increasingly, Huck - and his FairTax - have the "look of leadership" ( http://snipr.com/leaderlook ).

Posted by: Ian | November 19, 2007 9:00 AM

It's just funny. Really, really funny.

Sure, some people have no idea who Chuck Norris is, won't get the joke, and have never seen a Chuck Norris 'fact'.

But it's still brilliantly funny, and THAT is incredibly refreshing.

And Joe's right, the sort of buzz this ad is getting (and will continue to get) is basically unheard of from a $60k buy. As for the Norris endorsement, columnist or not, I think the idea of a Norris endorsement being taken seriously is ridiculous, and so find Huckabee's, 'yes, I acknowledge this, and I find it vastly entertaining' attitude (which he's maintained ever since it came out) just the right one to take.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 19, 2007 9:18 AM

Huckabee is just a regular guy with an incredible message. I checked out:

www.mikehuckabee.com
and
www.hucksarmy.com

Posted by: chris | November 19, 2007 9:49 AM

this ad was so funny. Maybe a lot of youngsters won't get it. But still, funny. I like Huckabee's sense of humor. Won't vote for him because I am a committed democrat, but I like the guy generally...

Posted by: Neerja | November 19, 2007 10:20 AM

Don't think that Huckabee is a joke, friends: http://theolympiaacademy.blogspot.com/

Posted by: The Academy | November 19, 2007 10:22 AM

Mike is far & above the other candidates- I am not sure if this will help him him but I like someone who is not a condescending smug, critical, negative know itall types like the Democrats - When people get a fair look at Mike and what he stands for he could win with or without Chuck Norris' endorsement--But I still like the commercial regardless fun & upbeat...something needed in Presidential politics- let's kick some A** on Jan. 3rd!!! Go Governor Huck!!!!!

Posted by: Tim Kelley | November 19, 2007 10:28 AM

If you want a serious look at Chuck see Jonathan alter's Newsweek article onnline:
: The GOP's Best Bet?
Hope and a common touch: reasons to like Mike Huckabee
November 15, 2007
By Jonathan Alter
Newsweek Web Exclusive

Posted by: Tim Kelley | November 19, 2007 10:35 AM

Anyone interested in what Huckabee is really like face to face should try this funny (but it actually happened) column:

Posted by: lane filler | November 19, 2007 10:38 AM

For those unfamiliar with Chuck Norris Facts, here's a link:

Posted by: Steve | November 19, 2007 10:50 AM

So this is why he should be president? Because of a Chuck Norris Action Jackson infomercial? A huckster, this other guy from Hope Arkansas. See the article at salon:

Disclaimer: I am the original washpost, but the suits at Wash Post changed my moniker to washpost3 as punishment for not being a liberal.

Posted by: Ward Ciac | November 19, 2007 12:48 PM

As a native Arkansan, I am very familiar with the Huckster and his sticky fingers.

In GOOGLE, punch in "Huckabee", "ethics", and "Arkansas".

You will find scores of reputable reports of how the Huckabees (while he was governor):

STOLE State House furniture; POCKETED campaign funds; DESTROYED State of Arkansas computers to hide his criminal activity; was INVESTIGATED numerous times for "ETHICS VIOLATIONS" and CONVICTED on many of the violations; RELEASED a convicted rapist who then went on to RAPE and MURDER AGAIN; SET UP PHONY "bridal registry" for his wife so they could furnish their new home on taxpayer's contributions.

Need more evidence of what a pious CHRISTIAN man the Huckster is? Read the rest of the story about a man, who as a "Baptist Preacher" has become an expert on living on the public dole and on the Arkansas taxpayer's money.

YEP! This country REALLY needs the Huckabees in the White House. The list of corrupt "preachers" may be just as long as the list of corrupt "politicians."

P.S. For MOST of my life (65 years old) I voted as a Republican and supported the Republican party. With the corruption, perversion, and thievery that I have witnessed among Republicans, I cannot visualize another one as head of the country . . . so hold off on the "You are a Democrat" slurs, good folks of faith.

Posted by: DocChuck | November 19, 2007 12:53 PM

There are some real problems with Huckabee - take a look at Wikipedia and elsewhere. For one thing he's creepy, making the comment that the other presidential candidates should be using razor blades in a bathtub. When someone asked him how he lost 100 pounds almost overnight he said he had been in a concentration camp. He increased the debt in Arkansas by $1 billion and is a serial tax increaser - the 'biggest taxer and spender in Arkansas history'. As governor he pardoned Wayne Dumond, a convicted rapist, who then went out and raped and killed another woman. Then he had a wedding registry made up and took gifts that way so that he could skirt the gift laws as an elected official. He is also pro-illegal immigration and illegally took money from his governor's special fund to help set up a Mexican consulate in the Arkansas state capital. These are not qualities I would like to see in a president.

Posted by: Ward Ciac | November 19, 2007 12:55 PM

Mike B,

Chill out!!!

Huckabee is more serious than the rest of the schmucks who only want power!

This ad has only one purpose...attention-getting...(the fact that you are reading a Washington Post article about a political ad tells you that it achieved that purpose)...the rest of his ads will address the issues

once again CHILL OUT!

Posted by: Matt C | November 19, 2007 1:11 PM

Doc,
Mike answered each and everyone of your accusations on Chris Wallace's show Sunday morning. You didn't mention that the allegations were all initiated by Democrats in a character assassination attempt.

In reference to the Norris ad, at first I was a little disappointed. But the more I think about it, and the more responses I see, the more I think it was a brillant move.

Posted by: WV4Huckabee | November 19, 2007 1:51 PM

Just as I was coming around for him and waiting for a report to see what they said about his tenure in Arkansas, up pops this ad.. Chuck Norris... man alive, whatever possessed Huckabee to let this clown represent him. For that matter , what does any candidiate even consider any usless dolt from Hollywood as being worthy of comment on anything except sleeping around. What's next , Redford , Streisand, and some of the aliens from Beatty's sister's spaceships ? Or perhaps Britany can take time out from her driving escapades to back Clinton. Well, they never learn.... Hey candidates, your bread and butter is with us. You know, the poor unwashed clods whose nickles and dimes pay for those stupid movies you make. Not me, of course, I haven't been there since the Jazz singer made Jolson famous. So go ahead and pander to that bunch and see where it gets you come next November.

Posted by: thom4sw1@msn.com | November 19, 2007 1:54 PM

Thanks for sharing the ad. It confirms my prior suspicion that Huckabee would not be a suitable president. The ad may be aiming for clever, but it just ends up simply stupid without substance. ("Abolish the IRS" is not substance.) Choosing a president based on who tries to run the cleverest ads instead of on substance is a sure sign that the country is going down the (You)tubes...

Posted by: jet | November 19, 2007 1:58 PM

Ward,
Get you facts straight man!
Huckabee left Arkansas with almost a billion dollar SURPLUS!
He NEVER pardoned Drummond, never even signed his parole.
The "bridal registry" was established by his wife's high school friends as they moved into a new home (there was no "house-warming" registry available at stores like Dillards and Target.
The Mexican consulate provided Arkansas businesses with access to Mexico and opportunities to expand their markets, and would help further ensure that immigrants from Mexico are legal and better able to secure legal documentation. At the same time, the office would open up opportunities for Mexican investors to invest money with Arkansas partners, which would help create more jobs in the state.

Posted by: WV4Huckabee | November 19, 2007 2:02 PM

If any of these allogations were true, which they are not, he still would out shine any other Pub and would smear any Dem especially "The Clintons". I strongly suggest anyone with sincere questions on who is the best candidate for president to go to mikehuckabee.com There you can find the truth not just rumors. Also, a since of humor is needed. This man has the best charactor of anyone I've seen in politics in a long time. He is just plain out funny.

Posted by: Anonymous | November 19, 2007 2:17 PM

WV4Huckabee wrote: "Ward, Get you facts straight man!"
--------------------------------------------
Whoa, Mr. WV4Huckabee!

I lived through the Huckster's reign in Arkansas . . . I don't think that you did.

You and his other "supporters' (like Norris) can "play" with the facts all you like, but Huckabee planned for (and instructed) his cronies to free Drummond from day 1, careful to leave himself a political "out."

As far as the "bridal registry" fiasco is concerned (which is a MINOR point in the scheme of the Huckabee's corrupt dealings) . . . most Arkansans know that the Huckster's "friends", childhood and otherwise, were always quick to aid the Huckabees in their devious methods of SKIRTING the State laws.

Much of the information on the State of Arkansas's computers (which Huckabee ordered destroyed . . . PHYSICALLY destroyed) was known by many of us to contain evidence that could have sparked criminal proceedings (and likely convictions) against the Huckster.

He is a typical crooked preacher who wants to devote his "charm talent" to fleecing the taxpayers in a MUCH LARGER POND than Arkansas.

The only redeeming feature about the Huckster is that he has not stolen as much as the Clintons' did . . . yet. I think that may be part of what's bothering Mr. and Mrs. Huckabee . . . there's SO MUCH MORE out there that they can add to their "portfolio."

HEY! I didn't give up my on "Pachyderm Club" awards for nothing . . . the Huckster made me do it!

Posted by: DocChuck | November 19, 2007 2:44 PM

Now that his internet connection has been restored, you may see A LOT of my husband here. Of course there's a lot of him to go around, if you know what I mean.

His troubles have kept him out of Arkansas for quite some time now. He may or may not have any idea what he is talking about. I sure can't understand him.

I am voting for Mike Huckabee, if that excites you.

Posted by: mrsdocchuck | November 19, 2007 3:21 PM

Re "What The"'s comment re Ron Paul. WHO WOULD BE a good endorser for Paul? Anyone have an idea?

Re Huckabee/Norris: There goes most of the NASCAR/World Wrestling Federation vote!

Posted by: Spectator | November 19, 2007 3:25 PM

Why's everyone so scared about Huckabee? Could it be that he actually campaigns on his message and not his money?

Posted by: Joe Meyer | November 19, 2007 4:23 PM

I just lost alot of respect for Chuck Norris. Mike "I destroyed Arkansas" Huckabee? Oh nooooooo!!!!

Ron Paul 2008...the real conservative.

Ron Paul will defeat Mike Huckabee just like Bruce Lee defeated Chuck Norris.

Posted by: Jon Arthur | November 19, 2007 6:07 PM

Huckabee will lose to Ron Paul. Google Ron Paul.
www.ronpaul2008.com

THE RACE: The race for the Republican presidential nomination in New Hampshire
___

THE NUMBERS--

Ron Paul, 8 percent

Mike Huckabee, 5 percent

Fred Thompson, 4 percent

Undecided, 14 percent

Chuck what are you thinking????

Posted by: E. Lyon | November 19, 2007 6:38 PM

I checked out Chuck's weekly column and it's really good! I didn't know he wrote a weekly article-- and he actually defends Huckabee's various positions very well...

Posted by: Ricky Andrews | November 19, 2007 10:21 PM

That is the most brilliant political ad I have ever seen

Posted by: Anon | November 19, 2007 10:51 PM

That is a hilarious video. For a more serious look at Gov. Huckabee, go here: http://www.mikehuckabee.com/index.cfm?FuseAction=VerticalDay.Home&l=50F49E7D03868E58F54AA1ED674B0C61

Posted by: kwbagwel | November 20, 2007 12:13 AM

Huckabee does not support illegal immigration. He believes that the problem IS at the border and that it makes little sense to address those already here without FIRST fixing the border problem. Regarding those already here, I believe he has a realistic view of addressing this situation, and despite the many idealistic hard-line views, deporting everyone is not practical or realistic.

Re: his comment about "abolishing the IRS." This is a serious statement, but if you do not know what it refers to, it may sound foolish. Mike Huckabee has embraced the idea of "The Fair Tax" - a system proposed by leading economists from MIT, Harvard, Stanford, etc. which would eliminate INCOME taxes and therefore the need for the IRS. It is a proposal to benefit families (especially lower/middle income) close tax loopholes, end tax-avoidance, eliminate tax-incentives that push corporations overseas, and make government's collection of tax revenue much more efficient. There has been a book published; again, Huckabee did not come up with these ideas, he has just embraced it as a common sense approach.

One reason I like Mike is his willingness to be a visionary, to challenge us to re-think issues, and to emphasize "vertical" politics - not a left-right horizontal divide, but working to lift everyone up. I believe, if given a chance, he would be a good leader and could help many of us rise above the bitter spirit in the American political debate.

Mike has proven to be a non-traditional; he won as much as 45% of the black vote in his races for governor and has been endorsed by a major labor union - the International Association of Machinists. He is the 1st Republican they have ever endorsed in their 100+ year history (he actually received a dual endorsement as they also endorsed Hilary on the Dem. side.) Mike also wants to approach energy independence much in the same way JFK did in getting us to the moon - as a national priority focus with an ambitious timeline set to reach the goal. He has envisioned that much of this would include adoption of clean alternative sources of energy. I was skeptical of his ambitious timeline and wrote his campaign; the response was that if we truly chose as a nation to address this problem - both the energy resources and environmental stewardship - we have the ability to make it happen. The question is, do we have the will? I like his optimism. And I really like a social conservative who is willing to take a strong stance on the environment & health care, perhaps one of his strongest issues.

Posted by: docline | November 20, 2007 1:13 AM

We have real serious issues in this country. A war in Iraq that is killing Americans and Iraqis a like while costing hundreds of billions of dollars a year in our tax money - all while we are in a mild recession with a big one looming.

How about the issues, Mike? This ad is code for the Christian Fringe Right to vote for him.

Posted by: J.C. | November 20, 2007 1:13 PM

Governor Mike Huckabee addressed the Arkansas General Assembly, pleading with them to pass a tax, any tax. He ticked off a list of various taxes that he would find acceptable, a tax on tobacco, a surcharge on the income tax, a sales tax... "I will very happily sign that," he proclaimed.

Just call him "Tax Hike Mike"

Posted by: Bill | November 20, 2007 1:50 PM

To BOB LEE, the President isn't supposed to do anything for you except keep you free and safe to do business and I think the honest folk will admit we are free and safe to do business.And to FARMER FRED remember Carter, gas lines, terrorism,12% inflation,I don't know if you both could get together and combine for an IQ of 100.

Posted by: Rick T. | November 29, 2007 5:33 PM

you people are showing your age. Your children know all of these chuck norris jokes, and chuck is a internet idol. He is also very popular with a online computer game called the world of warcraft, with over 9 million subscribers. The younger generation got this joke and love it!

Posted by: Anonymous | December 4, 2007 3:44 AM

Way cool.........I loved this......

Posted by: Jk | December 17, 2007 1:36 PM

I really like Huckabee's standards and agenda. I believe he will be the best candidate for the Republicans. What are the chances of a black islamic with rumors to boute or a loud-mouthed, in-experienced woman to get in? Honestly? I have nothing wrong with a black or female president, just not Hillary or Obama. Ehh, just creeps me out to think of Hillary as president. Huckabee wants to get rid of the IRS and distribute a flat tax dependent on your income. That sounds prety great to me. Get your facts straight people before you go bashing someone you dont know anything about. I've done my research on all the candidates and Huckabee's my man for sure. Mike Huckabee for '08!!!

Posted by: savannah_4_huckabee | December 25, 2007 4:40 PM