About Channel '08  |  Blog Partner: PrezVid.com  |  RSS Feeds RSS Feed  (What's RSS?)

Holiday Ads From Candidates

Holiday ads from the presidential candidates continue to roll in. Ron Paul was first, then Mike Huckabee, and now Rudy Giuliani, Barack Obama, John Edwards, and Hillary Clinton are airing ones too.

The former mayor co-stars with Santa Claus in his ad, which will air in New Hampshire.

"There are many things I wish for this holiday season," the red-vested Giuliani says in the ad. "I wish for peace with strength. Secure borders. A government that spends less than it takes in. Lower taxes for our businesses and families. And I really hope, that all of the presidential candidates can just get along."

"Ho, ho, ho, ho. I was with you right up until that last one. Ho, ho, ho, ho, ho," Santa Claus says.

"Can't have everything!" the former mayor concludes.

The former mayor also has an online-only version of the ad.

"With the primaries coming so early this year, I've gotta tell you, I'm having a little trouble getting my holiday shopping done," Giuliani says. "So I'll be working to get everyone the same gift: A safe America, lower taxes, secure borders, job growth, fiscal discipline, strict constructionist judges, and probably a uh... a fruitcake or something."

"A fruitcake?" someone asks off camera.

"What?" Giuliani says. "It'll be a really nice fruitcake with a big red bow on it, or something like that."

Obama goes straight for the heart of Iowa voters by co-starring with his wife Michelle, and daughters Malia and Sasha in his message. The family is seated by a fireplace and Christmas tree, wearing white.

"We'd like to take a moment to thank you and your family for the warmth and friendship that you've shown ours. For sharing your hospitality, and your stories," Michelle says.

"In this holiday season we are reminded that the things that unite us as a people are more powerful and enduring than anything that sets us apart. And we all have a stake in each other, in something larger than ourselves," Barack says. "So from my family to yours, I am Barack Obama and I approve this message."

"Merry Christmas," Malia says.

"Happy Holidays," Sasha adds.

In her ad called "Presents," Clinton is seeng wrapping certain gifts for voters: universal health care, alternative energy programs, withdrawing U.S. troops from Iraq, and a universal kindergarten program.

Finally, Edwards's ad is called "Season." It focuses on poverty.

"This is the season of miracles, and faith, and love," Edwards says. "So let us promise together, 'you will never be forgotten again. We see you, we hear you, and we will speak for you.' In America, the chance to build a better life is a promise made to each of us. And the obligation to keep it, rests with us all."

Which one is your favorite so far? Leave your thoughts in the comments section below.

-- Ed O'Keefe

By Ed O'Keefe |  December 19, 2007; 4:16 PM ET Ad Watch , Barack Obama , Rudy Giuliani
Previous: New Ads From Clinton, Richardson, Romney | Next: New Ads From Clinton, Dodd, McCain

Comments

Obama Ad is authentic and sincere.

Posted by: Tre | December 19, 2007 5:23 PM

Hillary by herself at christmas, ironic eh?

Posted by: eork | December 19, 2007 10:15 PM

Leading with Mrs. Obama is a nice show of deference to his wife (her hand on his inner knee is sweet.) White becomes them. And the daughters? Wow, they made this scrooge smile. I liked how one says Merry Christmas and the other Happy Holidays - to omit the latter as Huckabee does shows a lack of good will toward all. It makes him seem unfit to be the president of all of us. These ads are well-thought out, so the exclusion was not inadvertent. He has a tree but no family? Hmmm.

Posted by: jhbyer | December 20, 2007 1:07 AM

The Oscar goes to...Obama! The others were just cheezy.

Posted by: Lisa L | December 20, 2007 5:29 AM

Obama gets an A. Right message (thematic, but not political), good production concept, and two kids from Central Casting's
"Adorable Kids" files.

Rudy G is working too hard, but at least he's smiling. B.

Edwards' approach is sincere, but whether he recognizes it or not, seems a little too earnest (not to mention that he positions "we" as the savior of the poor, which strikes me as a little presumptuous). C.

Clinton? Ugh. Insincere, too clever by half, and yes; where's her family? She has that rare inability to be incapable of believably playing herself when it comes to ads. D+.

Posted by: Marcus, Chicago | December 20, 2007 7:01 AM

And the winner is ... Obama!

A warm, winning, sincere presentation that leaves you with a smile on your face. What a holiday message should be!

Posted by: RCHubb, | December 20, 2007 11:40 AM

I loved the Edwards ad ... I think it was a nice summation of what this season is ...

Obama's was nice but very Madison Avenue

Hillary's seemed nice until my brain kicked in ... that ad is Hillary in her full Evita mode! She has replaced deities and Santa Claus as the source of all good... you go Goldwater girl!

Posted by: Louise | December 22, 2007 6:52 PM

I love Hillary's ad. It's short, to-the-point and has to do with getting the job done and making life better for the American people.

The Obama ad was typical. I like it but there isn't anything different or memorable about it -- four pretty people perfectly dressed, saying all the appropriate things - like a living Christmas card. For a candidate who is running on change, his Christmas ad is same old, same old.

Edwards is Edwards. He used to make me cry with his sob stories about the poor. Now I just wish he'd tell me HOW he plans to do all he promises. Anyone know?

Posted by: Carter | December 23, 2007 12:22 AM

In defense of Hillary being alone in her ad, she's damned if she "uses" Bill or even Chelsea and damned if she doesn't. She can't change the fact she's married to a popular former president, though, tellingly he actually hurts her with those who complain loudest that she rides his coat-tails. Those who feel she ought to have had her own parallel political career don't realize that retaining her maiden name professionally supposedly cost Bill his first race. The lies about her being a lesbian are to counter the obvious truth - she married for love. Her respect for her vows feeds the fears of the vast right-wing hypocrisy.

Posted by: jhbyer | December 23, 2007 7:29 PM