About This Series | Chapters:

About This Series

Over the next four days, The Washington Post will present an in-depth investigation of the vice presidency of Dick Cheney, the most influential and powerful man ever to hold the office. The stories will examine Cheney's largely hidden and little-understood role in crafting policies for the War on Terror, the economy and the environment.

About This Series | Chapters:
[Photo]

Cast of Characters

Read about the important people in and out of government who have had an impact on Vice President Dick Cheney's career.

Dick and Lynne Cheney.

Cheney's Personality

Dick Cheney's colleagues, friends, and acquaintances shared stories with Post reporter Bart Gellman.

[Photo]

Cheney's Life & Career

Starting as a junior aide on Capitol Hill, Dick Cheney built an unmatched Washington resume as White House chief of staff, House minority whip and secretary of defense.

Comments

Dear Washington Post: It's about time! This series could be as important as those on Watergate and Vietnam. Bush, Cheney, and Company is composed of a bunch of Fascist wannabes, and no one has ever seriously challenged them. You have taken on the one at the top. Stay the course; there may be consequences. (PS:More newspapering like this is what your industry needs to revitalize itself.)

Posted by: desaulniers | June 24, 2007 11:44 AM

Posted by: desaulniers | June 24, 2007 11:44 AM

Posted by: desaulniers | June 24, 2007 11:44 AM

I think that Cheney is accruing power because he is a dying man. Even if his desperate will is an understandable pnomenon, reasonable men must resist its
destructive force.

Posted by: oconm | June 24, 2007 01:06 PM

The more I read about Dick Cheney, the more I am convinced that he just lacks couple of fangs & horns to go with his mental build up. Do you think Lynn Cheney- in the privacy of thier home would have asked him "Honey, why are you being so evil?"

Posted by: sarvenk63 | June 24, 2007 02:09 PM

This article makes me more and more afraid that Bush and Cheney have no intention of leaving the White House in 2008. As much as I hated Nixon, I never once doubted he loved his country enough to leave when the time came. And he did. As time goes on, I think Bush will come right out and declare the dictatorship.

Message to Mr. Bush. If you have that in mind, DON'T.

Posted by: trouble97018 | June 24, 2007 03:29 PM

I look forward to reading the articles, but PLEASE, who gets credit for the amazing photograph of Cheney the fisherman (and when and where was it taken) that leads with the online version?

Posted by: lori | June 24, 2007 10:02 PM

The 4th Estate finally emerges! For the past seven years I've wondered what happen to the press. What has been going on since the Bush administration took over has provided so many opportunities for great jounalism, it boggles the mind! All the crap this administration has been pulling, seemed to go unnoticed until lately. John Dean was the first to alert all of us to the dangerous things going on in the Bush Administration, with his excellent book, "Worse Than Watergate".

This administration makes Watergate look like child's play. Starting a premptive war based on a lie, that is killing thousands and maiming tens of thousands, while weakening our military? Please! How many times has this administration violated the constitution? Can we count that high? Where in the world are the checks and balances? Is there no one in Washington who has the guts to stand up, point a finger and say, "Let the impeachments begin!?"

Thank you for having the guts to tackle the hard problems. May you be fruitful and multiply with more articles to come.

Posted by: sherrill | June 25, 2007 01:36 AM

I don't usually respond to articles, however I find this to be so facinating thus far that I can't wait to read the rest of this series.

Posted by: jordyndata | June 25, 2007 04:51 AM

Thank you for doing this. I am afraid that honor has gone from our country. The behavior of our highest officials is disgusting. Does no one recognize that being honorable brings respect and being cruel while breaking laws and agreements brings disgust and mistrust? These are foolish men!

Posted by: beldameyocom | June 25, 2007 06:26 AM

This is a wonderful series, well written and well researched. I wanted to e-mail today's article and found no way to do so.
Is there any way to e-mail any part of this series?

Cay Drexler

Posted by: caygd | June 25, 2007 07:36 AM

This man Chaney, our Dr. Strangelove:
(1.)How much serious damage has he done, covering it up today, that we do not know about?
(2.) This arrogant man declares he is the law unto himself. He owes no explanation to anyone. As he goes out the door of 2008, he will have destroyed the paper-trail behind him. The evidence of the damage will surface by degrees in the months following.
(3.) He has the distinction of being wrong on just about everything he touches, Iraq being the very best example.
(4.) Why do we not begin proceedings to impeach Dick Chaney. I have been writing congressman and senators for six months imploring them to start the impeachment process. I shall continue on, writing, imploring everyday. I hope you will join me.
Write today, call, urge others to impeach this arrogant, failed ideologue.

Posted by: Iconoclast1 | June 25, 2007 07:43 AM

Finally, the sordid story of a truly evil man, Dick Cheney. Dick Cheney and Karl Rove are the the authors of the play book for this administration. George Bush is their Manchurian Candidate. Bush lacks the intelligence, political savey, curiosity, common sense and attention span necessary to compete with Cheney and Rove. The harm they have done to our nation is incalculable. This expose is long overdue. The American media must bear full responsibility for what has happened during this administration. With few exceptions, they failed in their responsibility to investigate and disseminate the facts. Better late than never, but without the internet, as well as a few courageous journalist, the media would probably still be solidly supporting the Bush administration of Cheney and Rove.

Posted by: searcher272 | June 25, 2007 07:51 AM

Before I even read the article I have to ask; "What took so long to bring this issue to the forefront". I believe the reason Chaney's approval rating is in the "single" digit is because most (if not all)Americans have known what this report is about to reveal to those who have NOT been paying attention. My second question; So, is impeachment finally going to be on the table for Chaney; then we can go after Bush, Rise, Rumsfeld, Wolfowitz and the rest of these Untouchable Empiricle Dictators? Go for it guys..help save our Democracy!

Posted by: merrilynk | June 25, 2007 09:06 AM

This article is long overdue. Where was the Washington Post when the drums of war were beating so long ago? With this series, there must be a movement within Congress to impeach first Cheney and then others. There need to be the same non-partisan public hearings in Congress that occurred during Watergate. This gang of felons must be removed from office for the sake of the Republic.

Posted by: RobinL1 | June 25, 2007 10:43 AM

Cheney, Rove, Gonzales, the whole bunch, as we have long well-known, are evil sociopaths. But let's not forget that they are supported to this day by the GOP, and the vast majority of its members and supporters. Cheney and his gang should, of course, be in prison for any number of crimes, but the real enemy of America and democracy is the Republican Party. The Money Party, the Fat Cats, the Jim Gerlach Loyal Bushies, who will do anything to stay in power. Mission Accomplished? Missing Accomplice!!

Posted by: jpmagoots | June 25, 2007 10:49 AM

Wow! Great article. Was it not Dick Cheney that compared his opponents to Nazis. He should be forced to read William Shirer's
"Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" to see who most closely resembles Nazis and their contempt for a democratic government.

Posted by: jney | June 25, 2007 11:11 AM

Thank-you Washington Post. You have my greatest respect!

Posted by: marylou-bill | June 25, 2007 02:59 PM

Thank you for the well researched and well written articles in the "Angler' series about Dick Cheney. (I have read the first two.)It begs more questions: the long-term significance of Cheney's maneuvering within the White House political infrastructure, and the effects world-wide of this blatant circumvention of the rules of the Geneva Convention.

Posted by: bellavista2 | June 25, 2007 05:27 PM

Is the 4th estate finally awakening after a very long sleep? Hope it is not too late.

They have been razzle dazzling us with trivia for the last six years to keep us away from the real truths of what this administration is doing to our country.

Let's hope we can bring the country back to the people!

Posted by: utahmink | June 25, 2007 07:11 PM

As many before me have said, "It's about time...". Your newspaper, and prominent others, has been no better than our politicans in speaking out when it really matters. Is this series on VP Cheney the real thing or are you just jumping on the bandwagon as the Bush Gang goes down the sewer? I am an ordinary citizen, no particular deductive skills, and a poor writer. But, I had this administration pegged for what they have shown themselves to be back in 2002.
So, take this series and really go for it! Spare no one. Tell all the truth now! You have an audience of millions. It is too late to save thousands of lives and our integrity is badly burnt. But, we must have an airing of this Vice President's linen, and many others' as well. Bless you for what is here in this series, now. And, keep going.

Posted by: achenbach_lr | June 25, 2007 08:02 PM

Does VP Cheney's family line of that name go back to the early "Cheyney" family in England, some (1700s)in the London area, just west of it. I've noticed migrating Cheney families crossing the Midwest in the early 1800s, from the Atlantic coastal areas.

Posted by: pdavis37840 | June 25, 2007 08:28 PM

I am a Bay of Pigs Veteran. I have the disquieting honor of having shed blood in the defense of freedom. I fought (and lost) to destroy a communist government that: put people on prison without due process; had secret prisons; torture individuals with impunity, etc. Now, Dick and this administration are putting people in prison without due proces, have secret prisons and torture individuals with impunity, etc. This administration is destroying the essence of what this beatutiful country represents: Freedom. And what saddest me the most is that I don't see any outrage about this. I wonder when will Americans wake up to get rid of this nightmare before is too late.

Posted by: giron1961 | June 25, 2007 08:34 PM

The Washington Post has finally awakened and put forth some effort worthy of the legacy it long enjoyed following the Watergate scandals. Thank you for your well-researched efforts to expose the unconscionable actions of this coterie of self-important power-hungry demagogues. In their often-successful attempts to evade, parse, and undermine basic tenents of the Constitution and Bill of Rights, Cheney and his ilk have not only betrayed the very principles upon which the United States was founded, but have turned their backs on the citizens who elected them and have exploited the courage and loyalty of the thousands and thousands of our armed forces who have died in the mideast and who continue to be placed in harms way. As your careful journalism brings light to his shameful back-room politics, it becomes increasingly clear that the behavior of the Vice President, his "loyal" minions, and those who have gone along with their Machieviellian maneuverings is nothing less than treason. Let us pray that the judicial system continues to stand up to the systematic dismanteling of our Bill of Rights and that Congress finally finds the guts to hold the executive branch responsible for their abuse of power and flagrant disregard of their oaths of office. And I for one hope that the Washington Post will continue to shine the light of clarity, reason, and truth into the darkest corners of our political system.

Posted by: sweetsgl | June 25, 2007 08:51 PM

Congratulations ! These articles are long over due. Perhaps your articles will "inspire " some of the rest of MSM to also show some guts. Thanks

Posted by: ed1977gretchen | June 25, 2007 09:58 PM

Posted by: ed1977gretchen | June 25, 2007 09:58 PM

PLEASE, PLEASE remember that there are life-long members of the GOP, including me, who did NOT vote for Bush and Darth Vader in either 2000 or 2004. I will admit that I held my breath when I voted Democratic in 2000, but in 2004 it was easy, even though Senator Kerry was by far not the best candidate the Democrats could have put up.
I have voted Republican in every election since 1964 - except for the two mentioned, and I assurredly will NOT vote GOP in 2008.
I am a life-long Republican and a 24-year retired military officer.

Posted by: swanie | June 26, 2007 05:51 AM

Thank you Washington post for writing,this amazing series. Bush and Cheney must go to jail they are very EVIL.

Posted by: graenn | June 26, 2007 01:18 PM

I find this series to be a veiled tribute to the Vice President. Most of the sources are from the administration neocons, and the issues are framed so as to make it appear that Cheney is tough but strong and principled. My impression is that this series is trying to paint a rosy picture of Cheney while pretending to be an expose of him. Typical corporate media garbage.

Posted by: dherzog2 | June 26, 2007 01:37 PM

Cheney's incredible arrogance and his disdain for the American public and the U.S. Constitution continue to boggle the mind.

But you yourself said it in the series -- he doesn't care what anyone else thinks about him or what he does. And therein lies his genius. He's like the playground bully, daring the other kids to make him stop. But he knows that no one has the guts or wherewithal to take him on, so he keeps going and going and going.

This is great work by the reporters and editors. Unfortunately, it's too late to do anything about Cheney now, but maybe this series can serve as a reminder about how someone in a position of power can flaunt and ignore the rules if left essentially unchecked. Wake up, America.

Posted by: decue19 | June 26, 2007 07:13 PM

Washington Post, Excellent article!

By the way, I recently found Section 5, Article II of the U.S. Constitution!

I couldn't believe my eyes when I came across this tattered document. I have included it, word-for-word, below. I am sending the original to the staff of the National Archives. Also, it occurs to me that this wonderful "Lost Article" may go a long way to explaining the recent behavior of our current Vice President.

Article II. Section 5
"Section 5. The Vice President, should his name be Mr.Dick Cheney, shall be a law unto himself. Further, he shall be his own branch of government. It shall be lawful for him to make and break any law. He shall hold the Constitution in contempt whenever said document is deemed contrary to his wishes. He shall be accountable to no one. He shall defy all international treaties and conventions. He shall have the power to detain, surveil and solicit information from any person at his pleasure. It shall not be necessary for the Vice President to tell the truth, since his opinion will hold sway over objective reality in all matters."

Posted by: mike | June 26, 2007 09:48 PM

The authors deserve a Pulitzer for this well-researched and painstakingly documented perspective on the appalling nightmare that Cheney has wrought. The deep damage Cheney has done to the American fabric will not easily be remedied. Constant fear, abrogation of democratic processes, a culture of torture, and politicization/polarization of everything--these are Cheney's legacy.

Posted by: marty | June 27, 2007 07:32 AM

Just wanted to say that you have some amazingly talented reporters. Thanks for the series on our vice president Dick Cheney.

Posted by: Lipnickcs | June 27, 2007 09:09 AM

The American people has no right to complain. They got what they wanted. They had a chance to disband the most dysfunctional team ever, but they decide to keep them in the White House for another 4 years. It is a pity that the Country can not put them on trial for all the damage they made to the country, physically and emotionally. I prefer the womanizer Clinton, who did what he could for the Country. His personal life was and is not my concern, or anybody else for that matter. I hope you don't vote republican again!!!!!!!

Posted by: m_c_melo | June 27, 2007 09:25 AM

Two things are revealed in this series, other than the strange phenomenon of Dick Cheney.

One is that there is an interesting dynamic going on at the Washington Post. On one hand, there are genuine journalists like Dana Priest and Anne Hull writing about Walter Reed, and the authors of this series. They prove that the craft is not dead, and that even in Washington, DC honor still exists.

On the other hand, there are opinion writers like David Broder and Richard Cohen, who write in service of power, keeping a little for themselves.

As the Bush criminal regime descends into further chaos and exposure, it will likely be enjoyable to watch this dynamic intensify. Will journalism prevail, or sycophancy? Just an intuition, but I think journalism.

The other thing revealed by this series is that the tide has truly turned against the Bush criminal regime. Blood is in the water, so to speak. The BCF (Bush Crime Family) may win a Supreme Court decision here and there, stonewall an investigation, and prolong the occupation of Iraq for a while, but the momentum has turned against them (it). Only some great crime like a sneak attack on Iran or a contrived domestic emergency can save them now. Vigilance, the price of liberty, is a small price to pay, and more critical than ever.

Posted by: southsidejohnny | June 27, 2007 10:47 AM

WOW!!! Great report....I wonder if Laura Bush has read it?

Posted by: cholekiki | June 27, 2007 02:20 PM

I think many people have been aware of how a president with limited attention span, limited reasoning skills and no language abilities has been manipulated by an untethered, ruthless, power-driven, greedy vice president. The details given in this Series are confirmation of this ugly reality. I think everyone should be able to read the Series, and I SEARCHED EVERYWHERE ON THE PAGE FOR AN E-MAIL LINK. WHY ISN'T THERE ONE?

Posted by: profjvas | June 27, 2007 03:13 PM

It's too bad that the press, including the Washington Post, didn't do it's job from the inception of this administration. Maybe then we wouldn't have destroyed Iraq, leaving ten of thousands of dead Iraqis. The Middle East wouldn't be on the verge of chaos and our own military wouldn't essentially be destroyed. Where were the Woodwards & Bernsteins?
Ann Wilson

Posted by: jbp805 | June 27, 2007 05:44 PM

Ann Wilson

Posted by: jbp805 | June 27, 2007 05:49 PM

This was a marvelous, well-researched series that begs for a top Pulitzer.
Fred Ferris, Columbus, Ohio

Posted by: converser77 | June 27, 2007 06:43 PM

Didn't you guys voted for this administration for 2nd term? What this administration did to this country were all your faults? It could have been ended on 1st term. Now get on knee and ask God for forgiveness of your sin.

Posted by: drkly | June 27, 2007 10:34 PM

Machiavelli would recognize Dick Cheney in an instant. Will somebody on Capitol Hill back efforts to get this guy out of office?

Posted by: EinsteinsDaughter | June 28, 2007 04:57 PM

I have printed out this article in it entirety, to read in my own time so I can fully understand and comprehend it all. Unfortunately, the third part, "A Strong Push From Backstage," does not print out properly. I would appreciate it if the print margins could be adjusted so I can print out the entire article. This looks like such an amazing article, I really want every word.
Thank You in Advance.

Posted by: anne | June 29, 2007 10:57 AM

the guy is just old school politics, that has not changed a lick since moving to the national stage. typically, folks modify themselves due to the additional scrutiny. This guy does not even blink. He punks the President and punks the nation as you know halliburon has a big fat check waiting for him once his term is over.

Posted by: oknow101 | July 2, 2007 06:05 PM

Each year on the fourth of July the New York Times reprints the US Declaration of Independence and each year rereading it helps to recall the great ideas that launched this country.

In reading the splendid series of articles on Vice-President Cheney in the Washington Post last week one is struck by the remarkable similarities of his conduct with that of King George III.

Posted by: drb25 | July 4, 2007 12:53 PM

I'm very frightened by this piece; not for myself but for my country.

Posted by: JLancellotti | July 11, 2007 04:24 PM