Post Rock Archive  |  About the Bloggers  |  E-mail: Click Track  |  On Twitter: Click Track  |  RSS Feeds RSS

Taking sides: Should Andy Samberg win a Grammy?

andy sambergShould this guy beat Jay-Z for a rap Grammy?

Welcome to Taking sides -- our weekly post where Click Track's contributors argue over the week's juiciest morsels of music news. This week's topic: the rap on comedy rap...

Funnyman Andy Samberg's funnyband The Lonely Island has been nominated for a Grammy for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration. Samberg began campaigning for victory this week with a new clip on Funny or Die.

Is this nomination a slap in the face to hip-hop? Or is that taking things too seriously? Should Samberg and co. actually win this award?

(Debate and video, after the jump.)

Allison Stewart: The sad thing is, Lonely Island has one of the better songs in this category. I think the bigger problem lies not with hip-hop, which has been having a bad year, (well, not that bad), but with the Grammy selection process. Most of the tracks seem to have been picked by hapless older voters who nominated the most familiar, least threatening artists: "How about Beyonce?" Or, "Justin Timberlake is someone I've heard of." Grammy voters resemble Oscar voters in that, like film critic Manohla Dargis said recently, you can never underestimate their bad taste. If I was a Grammy-eligible hip-hop artist who got passed over this year, I wouldn't take it personally.

Chris Richards: Strangely, nothing makes my blood boil quite like comedians rapping. Lighten up dude, I know. But I feel like there's something inherently disrespectful about hip-hop being the go-to genre for parody (see: Natalie Portman on SNL, Amy Poehler as Sarah Palin on SNL, Samberg's numerous digital shorts on SNL...). How can the hip-hop community not be miffed about this nomination? The-Dream's Twitter-tantrum after being snubbed for a nod proves that artists still care deeply about these awards. On that note, Kanye West appears on three of the five tracks nominated for this category. If he loses to Samberg, I fully endorse the imminent hissyfit.

Sarah Godfrey: I think Samberg is a comedic genius who seems to like and respect the genres he parodies -- and he’s actually a tight little rapper. But can’t the same be said of Weird Al Yankovic? I thought “I’m On A Boat” was hilarious, but would rather see the whole Lonely Island project recognized in the Best Comedy Album category (where Lonely Island isn't nominated), rather than having a joke track take up a nominee slot. It's mildly offensive, but it's the Grammys. If we're talking Grammy crimes against hip-hop, this is waaaaay down toward the bottom of the list. It's not nearly as bad as nominating Young MC back in 1990, or MC Hammer in 1991, or a post Jazzy Jeff-era Will Smith in 1999, or Coolio in 1995, 1996 AND 1997, or…

David Malitz: Maybe they just felt the need to keep nominating T-Pain -- he was nominated in 2008 and 2009. It's a bit lame, considering some of the decade's best songs previously won in this category but it's hard to get too worked up about it. But that's mainly because it's the Grammys, not because it's not offensive. Still, no matter how seriously you take the Grammys, Andy Samberg should not win one before he wins a Teen Choice Award.

Should Samberg should win the Grammy? Scroll down to comment!

By Chris Richards  |  December 17, 2009; 12:09 PM ET
Categories:  Taking sides  | Tags: Andy Samberg, Grammys, Lonely Island, T-Pain
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Morning click: Boyle bests Brown, STP readies new album
Next: Be specific: Local indie label Underwater Peoples on why vinyl trumps CD and MP3

Comments

I beleive a Simpson's quote is appropriate here

"Awwwww, a Grammy" *trash*

Posted by: EricS2 | December 17, 2009 12:42 PM | Report abuse

Ignoring the sanctity of rap music, it's just one of the best comedy *songs* in a long time. It's quite catchy and I have asemi-regular desire to listen to it, which I can't say about many other comedy songs, even some of the Lonely Island ones. "Dick in a Box" was a classic, but I haven't wanted to listen to it in ages.

Posted by: M__N | December 17, 2009 1:28 PM | Report abuse

Who cares? Grammys are sales & marketing awards; have nothing to do w/ music.

Posted by: nonsensical2001 | December 17, 2009 1:42 PM | Report abuse

Interesting. Are artists (and, uh, music bloggers) the only people who care about the Grammys? We've seen some real hard feelings from snubbed artist in recent years.

Posted by: ChrisRichards | December 17, 2009 2:02 PM | Report abuse

More evidence of Grammy's total and complete irrelevance. Yes, you all are the only ones who care.

Posted by: agl132 | December 17, 2009 3:02 PM | Report abuse

And just the fact that this BS is nominated for a Grammy should be a clear indication that these folks are so hopelessly out of touch with rap music that no, no serious rapper should take offense at this. Do you think Freddie Gibbs is sitting at home crying over being snubbed by the Grammy's?

Posted by: agl132 | December 17, 2009 3:10 PM | Report abuse

I don't think Gibbs is weeping -- but that's because he hasn't put out an album yet. There's nothing to snub. But I was surprised that The-Dream was so upset. Kanye's fragility at these awards show still surprises me, too.

Posted by: ChrisRichards | December 17, 2009 3:21 PM | Report abuse

Fair enough, but I think you see my point. Kanye, yes you'd expect him to care about these sorts of things, but I'd say he's more interested in being a pop star than a pure rap artist anyway, which is what the Grammy's are catering to.

Posted by: agl132 | December 17, 2009 3:41 PM | Report abuse

I don't know why hip-hop artists are so fixated on the Grammys, given the purely random relationship between Grammy awards and quality. That said, the efforts of Samberg et al. should be recognized in the comedy slot, as Sarah Godfrey suggested.

Posted by: Lindemann777 | December 17, 2009 4:20 PM | Report abuse

"There I was walking up on the stage when some dressed-up lady came up to me and said she wanted to give me a Grammy. Who did she think I am!? I threw it on the ground! ..."

Posted by: Meepo | December 17, 2009 4:28 PM | Report abuse

Should Lonely Island win, that would be as bad as Jethro Tull winning best metal song over Metallica. Oh wait, bad example.

Posted by: Hemisphire | December 17, 2009 4:41 PM | Report abuse

"I think Samberg is a comedic genius"

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!! Not -that- is comedy gold....

Posted by: guyfromjersey | December 18, 2009 3:07 PM | Report abuse