Post Rock Archive  |  About the Bloggers  |  E-mail: Click Track  |  On Twitter: Click Track  |  RSS Feeds RSS

Taking sides: Make your own Michael Jackson "Greatest Hits" album

It's been 364 days since Michael Jackson passed away and here at Click Track we're breaking out our old MJ LPs to mark the anniversary. But of all his stellar recordings, here's one Jackson collection we don't own: A greatest hits album. In the age of the mp3, why buy what you can compile on your own?

For our weekly Taking sides post, Click Track's contributors each compiled their own personal Michael Jackson "Greatest Hits" album. Here are the rules: Ten songs. Solo material only. No Jackson 5 stuff. And as difficult as it is to type these words, no "Blame it on the Boogie."

Check out our "Greatest Hits" track lists after the jump and share yours in the comments.

Allison Stewart: It's a testament to MJ's greatness that this list could easily have been twenty or forty songs long, and assembled in pretty much any order - Track 10 is almost as good as Track 1. What's also staggering about Jackson's solo output: The ballads are as good as the dancefloor tracks which are as good as the straight-up R&B tracks. And until he started getting into the "stardom is a drag" work of his later period ("Childhood," "Leave Me Alone"), he went almost twenty years without a noticeable drop-off in quality, a feat no one else in pop history can replicate.

1. "Billie Jean"
2. "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough"
3. "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)"
4. "Man in the Mirror"
5. "I Wanna Be Where You Are"
6. "Ain't No Sunshine"
7. "Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'"
8. "Bad"
9. "Beat It"
10. "Black or White"

Chris Richards:The front end of my tracklist doesn't pack any surprises, but as Michael grew stranger and stranger over the course of his career, I found myself drawn to his weirder tunes. "Liberian Girl" always felt like an unheralded little fever dream of a song (the odd, star-cluttered video relegates it to mere background music), while "Blood on the Dancefloor" and "Scream" capture the King in much darker headspace.

1. "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough"
2. "Rock With You"
3. "Working Day and Night"
4. "Billie Jean"
5. "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)"
6. "Human Nature"
7. "Liberian Girl"
8. "Leave Me Alone"
9. "Blood on the Dancefloor"
10. "Scream"

David Malitz: Sorry to be predictable, but aren't MJ's greatest hits basically the singles from "Off the Wall" through "Bad"? Then again, basically every song from those albums was a single. These aren't in any real order except for "Billie Jean" at the top. Again, predictable, but definitely his best.

1. "Billie Jean"
2. "Don't Stop 'til You Get Enough"
3. "Rock With You"
4. "Wanna Be Starting Something"
5. "Leave Me Alone"
6. "We're Almost There"
7. "The Way You Make Me Feel"
8. "Bad"
9. "The Girl Is Mine"
10. "P.Y.T. (Pretty Young Thing)"

What are your ten favorite Michael Jackson songs? Share your "Greatest Hits" tracklist in the comments.

By Chris Richards  |  June 24, 2010; 12:00 PM ET
Categories:  Taking sides  | Tags: Michael Jackson
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Roots, Branford Marsalis, John Mayer, Smokey Robinson and Mambo Sauce to perform "An American Playlist" at Kennedy Center
Next: Clicky shuffle: Random songs for Friday morning

Comments

I LOVE & ADORE MICHAEL JACKSON AND IT WAS HARD TO CHOOSE THE TOP 10 BUT HERE GOES
1.HUMAN NATURE
2.Invincible
3. BILLIE JEAN
4. BEN
5. Butterflies
6.FOREVER CAME TODAY
7.WHO' LOVING U
8.PYT
9.MAN IN THE MIRROR
10. AIB'T NO SUNSHINE

Posted by: sanji327 | June 24, 2010 3:30 PM | Report abuse

I'm guessing PYT is going to be on every tracklist submitted.

Posted by: ChrisRichards | June 24, 2010 3:45 PM | Report abuse

Difficult task for a career that lasted 40yrs. Vocally he was a well trained tenor.
MJs Greatest Hits

2. "Beat It"
3. "Say Say Say" w/Paul McCartney
4. "Rock With You"
5. "Smooth Criminal"
6. "Scream"
7. "In the Closet"
8. "Don't Stop 'til you Get Enough"
9. "Billie Jean"

6. Give in to Me
7. Come Together
8. Scream
9. Break of Dawn
10. Whatever Happens

Posted by: thebee32 | June 24, 2010 5:19 PM | Report abuse

On behalf of my 5- and 2-year-old sons who LOVE MJ thanks to mommy and daddy playing his music, I'll have to say
Beat It
Billie Jean
Thriller
Rock With You
Don't Stop Til You Get Enough
definitely belong on the list. And while there is no option for Jacksons/J5 I can't make it out the car without playing Shake Your Body (Down to the Ground). It's their absolute favorite.

Posted by: 39aka94 | June 24, 2010 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Workin' Day and Night
Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough
Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'
Billie Jean

6. Bad
7. Dirty Diana
8. Scream
9. Man In The Mirror
10. You Rock My World

Posted by: destewar | June 24, 2010 7:51 PM | Report abuse

An impossible task. I found it difficult to leave out no. 11 because it's just as good as no.'s 8, 9 & 10.

Posted by: Nobrun | June 24, 2010 9:33 PM | Report abuse

I still cannot believe that Jacko is gone. He touched so many children.

Posted by: eldonth | June 25, 2010 3:26 AM | Report abuse

1. Unbreakable
2. Wanna Be Startin Somethin
3. Lovely One
4. The Way You Make Me Feel
5. I Just Can't Stop Loving You
6. Smooth Criminal
7. Jam
8. Morphine
9. Don't Stop Til You Get Enough
10. Maybe Tomorrow

Posted by: linroy62 | June 25, 2010 8:22 AM | Report abuse

It is almost impossible to pick MJ's To Ten List of songs. However, given that I can only pick 10--after carefully considering my options, this is what I have come up with in no particular order.
1. "Man In The Mirror"
2. "Billie Jean"
3. "Smooth Criminal"
4. "Dirty Diana"
5. "Human Nature"
6. "Beat It"
7. "You Are Not Alone"
8. "Thriller"
9. "Bad"
10. "You Out of My Life"

Posted by: celassoc | June 25, 2010 10:24 AM | Report abuse

Wow, some tough choices with only 10 slots. In case anybody's wondering what didn't make the cut, they were Earth Song (HIStory), Man in the Mirror (Bad), Dangerous (Dangerous), Childhood (HIStory) and Scream.

1. Human Nature (Thriller)
2. Stranger in Moscow (HIStory)
3. P.Y.T. (Thriller)
4. Beat It (Thriller)
5. Say Say Say w/ Paul McCartney (Pipes of Peace)
6. Jam (Dangerous)
7. HIStory (HIStory)
8. They Don't Care About Us (HIStory)
9. Smooth Criminal (Bad)
10. Bad (Bad)

Posted by: DrewAPicture | June 25, 2010 4:37 PM | Report abuse

This is no easy task. On this sad day, one year on. So here goes.All these say something. The reason Morphine is in the mix is because it's one of the most disturbing songs MJ ever recorded it sends shivers down my spine everytime I hear it.

1. One day in your life.