Post Rock Archive  |  About the Bloggers  |  E-mail: Click Track  |  On Twitter: Click Track  |  RSS Feeds RSS

Ticketfail: Did you get shut out of FreeFest this morning?

MIAFans are hating on Ticketfly.com with the same ire that M.I.A. hates on truffle fries. (AP Photo/Jim Cooper)

By Chris Richards

We've been pumping up Virgin Mobile FreeFest all week on Click Track -- to peruse our giddy keystrokes, just scroll down. But today, Facebook, Twitter and our email inboxes are lighting up with reports from extremely frustrated fans.

Tickets went on sale at 10 a.m. this morning and for many, trying to score a pair on Ticketfly.com resulted in password glitches, frozen screens and dreaded UNKNOWN ERRORs.

Did you have trouble scoring tickets? Or were you one of the lucky ones? Share your pain/joy/confusion in the comments.

By Chris Richards  |  July 24, 2010; 10:43 AM ET
Categories:  Local news  | Tags: FreeFest
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Coda: FreeFest frenzy; Chuck Brown meets Chips Ahoy; Chromeo talks Hall & Oates
Next: Clicky Shuffle: Random songs for Monday morning

Comments

I did FINALLY get a pair, but it took an hour of screaming on frustration and repeatedly opening and closing browser windows. I realize they don't want people scalping the tickets, but there's gotta be a better way than this.

Posted by: EricS2 | July 24, 2010 11:09 AM | Report abuse

I've attended hundreds of concerts over the last fifteen years and this was easily the worst ticket-purchasing experience I've ever had. I secured tickets at various levels, including the $125 level, about 5 times, but each time the system crashed before the transaction was processed. Sometimes before I was able to enter my credit card info, but once after. That one burned. It was a maddening mess.

Posted by: 44 Editor | July 24, 2010 11:37 AM | Report abuse

I also finally got a pair after an hour of screaming and punching things. Ticketfly is a terrible company and I wish nothing but the absolute worst for them. It really sucks for those who actually did log on at 10am on the dot (like me) and aren't going to get to go to VFest solely because of Ticketfly's unprofessionalism and poor planning. They're worse then the Bush administration during Katrina. Okay, maybe that was an overstatement but seriously, they suck.

Posted by: fakedude1 | July 24, 2010 11:38 AM | Report abuse

ticketfly is probably the worst website ever to get tickets from. whatever happened to ticketmaster? I managed to get my tickets during the presale, but not after a 15 minute fight with the website.

Posted by: sonim14 | July 24, 2010 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Ticketmaster was ripping IMP off and raising prices since they merged with Live Nation. I'm not very happy with Ticketfly, but Ticketmaster was just as bad last year. They really need to come up with some other solution.

Posted by: EricS2 | July 24, 2010 11:54 AM | Report abuse

i'd tag the babe in the article pic.

Posted by: OldSalt8 | July 24, 2010 12:54 PM | Report abuse

Are tickets sold out now or is ticketfly still glitching? I've been trying since 10 and it has been telling me there are no tickets that meet my request since 10.

Posted by: belicker | July 24, 2010 1:23 PM | Report abuse

Major Failure!! Ticketfly was the worst experience ever. Never had any problems scoring tickets for Freefest in the past. Ticketmaster worked flawless. This was a horrible experience for many people. Imagine having the tickets, and then the system was so bogged down it timed out and the tickets were "poof" gone. FAILURE!!!

Posted by: themoleman | July 24, 2010 2:16 PM | Report abuse

At 10 am until 11 am I received a internal error for claiming virgin mobile festival tickets. This is extremely frustrating because I was a returning customer who already had a account and purchased Something Corporate tickets through 930 club. I also went to see blink 182 last year.

Now the problem was that I had the presale code: loft and signed in July 23 and got locked out! That was fine because it was presale.

So I log in again at 10am today and was locked out for hours. Countless times the page would freeze. Thankfully at one point I got to checkout and then it froze again!

So after two days of trying to claim tickets, a returning member of both ticketmaster and ticketfly gets screwed. If you check up on my track record I go to concerts to enjoy the music. I have a background in music and actually like analyzing their talents. I don't see why a customer would get locked out two days straight with eternal errors.

Posted by: jns1287 | July 24, 2010 2:42 PM | Report abuse

btw Ticketmaster over ticketfly any day of the week. Ticketmaster is awesome and allows customers to get great seats.

ticketfly locks you out with eternal errors and laughs at your failures

haha ticketmaster GREAT

ticketfly TERRIBLE

Posted by: jns1287 | July 24, 2010 2:44 PM | Report abuse

*points up* plant. Sorry, but ticketbastard sucks to. They screwed me last year to till they put everything they held back out for 20 bucks a pop.

Posted by: EricS2 | July 24, 2010 3:22 PM | Report abuse

I am livid. I woke up after two hours of sleep after babysitting a special needs child to be ready to log on promptly at 10 AM. I refreshed my browser and started right on time. I spent over an hour timing out and never got tickets. Additionally, I was talking with six friends via twitter during the countless freezes/loading times and not one person, despite all of us starting at 10 AM, managed to complete a transaction and get a pair of tickets. That is BEYOND PATHETIC.

It's funny they are called VIRGIN mobile because I know thousands of people feel like they just got f***ed by them.

I will never buy tickets from Ticketfly nor will I ever switch to Virgin Mobile due to this unbelievably horrible experience.

Oh, it was SO kind of them to offer tickets at $125. Can we say "bait and switch?"

Posted by: lifeat45rpms | July 24, 2010 3:27 PM | Report abuse

The worst part was their attitude on Facebook about it, "Well everyone wasn't going to get tickets and we did our best." Disqualifying half of your customers from the start isn't your best. They should be ashamed for being making rational people defend Ticketmaster, that's a sign that you're sucking at your job as a ticket provider.

Posted by: tjc2179 | July 24, 2010 3:56 PM | Report abuse

I have done a little research on Twitter and Internet blogs and they suggest that b\c I tried to donate I was denied a ticket when Ticketfly servers went down. This is quite shocking b\c it suggests I would have had a better result (i.e. actually gotten my tickets) if I would NOT have tried to donate and instead tried to get free tickets. Not cool at all.

Posted by: SSReader6876 | July 24, 2010 4:04 PM | Report abuse

I prefer Groovetickets aka Flavorus. I might be biased

Posted by: tomdavidson | July 24, 2010 4:13 PM | Report abuse

I completely forgot about the ticket this morning until my friend reminded me and I signed on around 10:23 to try get some tickets. The site kept crashing in IE and Mozilla but I kept checking the VirginFestival Twitter and they were very good about updating everyone and saying 1) there was an issue with the site that they were attempting to fix and 2) that tickets were still available. About 11 AM the tickets were finally available again and sold out in about 15 minutes.

Obviously everyone cannot attend so people shouldn't be so angry. There was also a freesale the day before which gave everyone an opportunity to get tickets. Until you heard there were NO tickets left, you definitely keep trying.

This year they only allowed people to get 2 tickets per household/credit card where I believe last year people were able to get at least 4 so the festival was trying to get more people involved. Having to create an account again probably did trip some people up as many do have ticketfly accounts but the tickets were still on hold while you were creating the new account.

There will be volunteer opportunities to get tickets in the future.

Posted by: jennifermbodie | July 25, 2010 1:16 AM | Report abuse

People should be angry. A Ticketfly tech system that did not work right from 10 to 11 on Saturday; a VirginMobile/IMP decision to let people buy tickets for $125 each the day before....

Posted by: outsider8 | July 26, 2010 10:38 AM | Report abuse