Post Rock Archive  |  About the Bloggers  |  E-mail: Click Track  |  On Twitter: Click Track  |  RSS Feeds RSS

FreeFest: LCD Soundsystem delivers the grandest of finales

freefestJames Murphy and LCD Soundsystem didn't offer songs so much as reasons to live. (Kyle Gustafson/FTWP)

By Chris Richards

This is exactly how it was supposed to end.

A great-big band on a great-big stage sweating over great-big, exquisitely-crafted songs -- the kind that make tens of thousands of exhausted fans lunge out of their seats after hours and hours (and hours!) of live music and throw their filthy hands toward the moon. (Also: The kind that make you laugh when an errant glowstick gets chucked at your head.)

Frontman James Murphy and the six supporting members of LCD Soundsystem delivered the grandest of finales with their headlining Pavilion Stage set at Virgin Mobile FreeFest, Saturday. For 90 exhilarating minutes, the band melded rock bombast with disco's invincible pulse -- a momentous display that eclipsed the energy of the day's other performances combined.

Give or take the airborne glowsticks.

By Click Track  | September 25, 2010; 11:11 PM ET
Categories:  Live blogging  | Tags:  Virgin Mobile FreeFest
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: FreeFest: Will the real M.I.A. please show up?
Next: In concert: Virgin Mobile FreeFest at Merriweather Post Pavilion

Comments

LCD put on a great show! The sound mix was as good as I'be heard at Meriweather Post. Song selection and energy kept all on their feet.
After greats shows by Thievery and Luda - I'm a very happy music lover.
BTW - great coverage by Chris via Click Track

Posted by: cbajohn1 | September 26, 2010 8:06 AM | Report abuse

Between LCD and Pavement, the evening mainstage performances were a kind of victory lap for rumpled, middle-aged guys who happen to make incredible music. No high-gloss stage shows, but cool lights.

Also, a shoutout to the fabulous fireworks display between sets! For us lawnfolk, made it all worthwhile!!

Sound for all bands was universally balanced and crystal clear-- you really heard how good James Murphy's voice was. Most Merriweather shows tend to crank the guitar at the expense of almost everything else -- particularly the vocals. Not this time -- maybe because they were trying to prevent bleed-through among the 3 stages.

More fun and relaxed fest this year. Good job, y'all!

Posted by: lauraoev | September 26, 2010 10:53 AM | Report abuse

No "North-American Scum" and and some others from Sound of Silver I would have liked to have heard. Not a great choice for a final song either. I like them but found the set not well-structured.

Posted by: outsider8 | September 26, 2010 12:52 PM | Report abuse

I'm sorry I missed this, but by this point I was tired and covered in dust and sweat and just wanted to go home. Where's the Sleah Bells write up, that was and half an hour of delicious ear ringing perfection!

Posted by: tjc2179 | September 26, 2010 1:41 PM | Report abuse

Skipping "North-American Scum" was just ridiculous. I would have left a lot earlier if I hadn't been waiting for it!

Posted by: Janine1 | September 26, 2010 5:35 PM | Report abuse