Riffs: How "zef" is Washington D.C.?
By Chris Richards
Nearly all of the lyrics that spew from the mouths of South African rave-rap surrealists Die Antwoord aren't printable on the website of a family newspaper, making the trio's Wednesday night performance at the 9:30 Club difficult to recap.
But we can talk about how the show looked. That's because Die Antwoord posit themselves as the champions of "zef," a style that follows the fuzzy logic that many, many fashion wrongs can make one glorious right (we think).
Quadruple-XL hoodies, "Dark Side of the Moon" boxer shorts, coats made of imitation albino rat pelts, Russian prison-style tattoos, gold lame everything -- anything goes. In a profanity-laced mini-documentary about the group, Die Antwoord's Yo-landi Vi$$er describes zef as the "ultimate style."
How zef are Die Antwoord's fans? We posted up on V Street N.W. after Wednesday night's show to try and guesstimate the zef-ness of our fellow Washingtonians, garment by garment. Here's what we saw:
- Spats over Converse All-Stars: Not zef.
- Chipotle t-shirt: Zef.
- Black tank-top-and-denim combo with white felt bones sewn onto it: Halloweeny, but also zef.
- Old Navy t-shirt with the sleeves cut off: Zef
- Camouflage golf visor: Not zef.
- Bowler hat: Not zef.
- Bedazzled "Boilermakers" t-shirt: Zef.
- Leather cross medallion: Zef.
- Old Dominion beer pong t-shirt (backside: "I Sink It - You Drink It"): Not zef.
- Yale t-shirt: Zef
- Hair dyed candy apple red: Not zef.
- Hair dyed Windex blue with matching toilet bowl sanitizer colored tights: Not zef.
- Men's Warehouse suits: You're gonna like the way you look, but you're not zef.
- Penny Hardaway Orlando Magic jersey: Not zef.
- Collar bone tattoos: Not zef.
- Scalp tattoos: Definitely zef.
| October 28, 2010; 12:15 PM ET
Categories: Riffs | Tags: Die Antwoord
Save & Share: Previous: Be specific: Jeff Krulik on the wild years of NoVa rock and roll
Next: Local news: Little Big Town to visit Library of Congress for CMA Songwriters Series
Posted by: dfunkt | October 28, 2010 8:15 PM | Report abuse