Riffs: Touring by color
Two hard-charging, guitar-toting rock bands -- the Black Angels of Austin and Black Mountain of Vancouver -- are scheduled to bluster through the 9:30 Club on Sunday. Sasha Frere-Jones previewed the groups' Manhattan gig in this week's New Yorker, noting that it would be "dopey" if these two troupes were touring together just because of the "black" in their names.
In this case, he's right. But does that rule out other artists from hitting the road based on the mutual colors in their monikers? Some possibilities:
- King Crimson and Maroon 5: The "We Both Supplied Hooks to Kanye West with Mixed Results" tour
- Godspeed! You Black Emperor and Black Eyed Peas: The "Death to Capitalism! Long Live Capitalism!" tour.
- Ariel Pink and Pink: The "Swing on the Trapeze IN YOUR MIND" tour
- White Stripes and Average White Band: The "Which of Us Is Really the Average White Band?" tour
- OJ Da Juiceman and Tangerine Dream: The "Lil B Rapping Over New Age Drones Can't Match This" tour
- Al Green and Cee-Lo Green: The "OK, This Would Just Be Awesome" tour
| November 5, 2010; 1:56 PM ET
Categories: Riffs | Tags: Al Green, Ariel Pink, Black Eyed Peas, Cee-Lo Green, King Crimson, Maroon 5, Pink
Save & Share: Previous: In concert: Luisa Maita at Bohemian Caverns
Next: Coda: Rap sheet's sad toll; former presidents talk rappers; revisiting Roky Erickson