Post Rock Archive  |  About the Bloggers  |  E-mail: Click Track  |  On Twitter: Click Track  |  RSS Feeds RSS
Posted at 11:56 AM ET, 12/ 8/2010

Personal memories of Lennon's death flood Post, Twitter

By Click Track
lennon
The Imagine mosaic in Central Park is decorated with flowers and other mementos on Tuesday. (AP)

On Tuesday, Click Track asked readers to share memories of where they were and how they reacted when they heard the news of John Lennon's killing 30 years ago today. Hundreds responded on Click Track and on Twitter with memories of feeling devastated by the tragedy. Below, we compile 10 of our favorite responses.

From the Click Track comments:

I was watching Monday Night Football, Dolphins v Patriots. Never forget Howard Cosell making the announcement, "Unspeakable Tragedy". Turned WAVA 105 FM in DC and they played Beatles music all night long.
pgkens | December 7, 2010 12:29 PM

I had bought Double Fantasy as soon as it came out. I loved all of Johns tracks, I had left for work and was on the bus when the headline jarred me. I bought a paper in the subway and by the time I got to work I was in total shock. He was always my favourite Beatle. I dreamt of him often in the following weeks...
warriormonk93 | December 7, 2010 12:54 PM

This is absolutely true. I was in my dorm room at U of MD, sometime late in the evening, on my own. Probably getting ready for finals. While I was studying, I put on Sgt. Pepper (I kept returning to the Beatles when I needed a pick-me-up). When it finished, I turned on the radio. Not ten minutes later, with the final chord still echoing in my mind, the news started coming through. A shooting, possible injury, serious, grave, fatal. I listened for hours, surfing stations, irrationally hoping for somebody to clarify that the reports were wrong. The world dimmed for me that night, and for many days afterward.
benhere | December 7, 2010 1:35 PM

December 8th is my birthday. On Dec 8th 1980, I was a 2nd Lieutenant in the Army stationed at Fort Hood, Texas. I was very sad to learn of his death and now always play his song "Imagine" to remember both significant events. I continue to be a huge Beatles fan.
kaybruce1 | December 7, 2010 4:09 PM

On December 7th, 1980 I learned the exciting news that I was pregnant. When I woke up on December 8th I heard the tragic news about John Lennon. That day I decided that if my baby was a boy, John would be part of his name.On July 20, 1921 my beautiful health son, Derek John, was born. He grew up listening to Beatles music.
eileenofarrell1 | December 7, 2010 5:58 PM

I heard the news on German TV. I was a 'Tower Rat' at a Nuclear Missile Site at Hardhiem, West Germany. After a short shift in the Charlie Tower I was warming up in Post#4 when word came via the German media. Our site was so remote that we didn't have Armed Forces Network or American programming so we were left with our limited German language skills and the imagery of the broadcast to piece together the event. I was in precisely the same scenario when word came that Ronald Reagan had been shot.
HeavyD1 | December 8, 2010 7:30 AM

I was working in a restaurant kitchen. The game was playing on the TV in the bar, and someone came back to kitchen and mentioned the news. I was quite upset for a couple of days, even now I recall that spell of sadness with a bit of surprise. In the next couple of days I took a several hour road trip with my parents, and the radios only played Lennon and Beatle things. I'm still more of a McCartney man, though.
bdballard | December 7, 2010 5:19 PM

I was a disc jockey on a Country station when the news came over the AP wire. I remember wondering whether this was news that my audience would comprehend. I read the bulletin, and was surprised at how many phone calls the news triggered from Country fans. Unfortunately, I had no Beatles music to play.
bushpile | December 7, 2010 12:52 PM

From Twitter:

@NESASK: In a hotel lobby in Manitoba, playing in a traveling band.

@julietagen: I was at a Bruce Springsteen concert in Philadelphia. Left elated from Bruce and suddenly SO sad from the news.

@sbartner: Rutgers College. Someone had spray painted in white "John Lennon Lives" on the wall of one of the lecture halls.

More on this story:

On Twitter: Use #wherewereyou to tell us where you were when Lennon died and watch the conversation unfold below:

By Click Track  | December 8, 2010; 11:56 AM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Remembering John Lennon; Willie Nelson charged with a misdemeanor; T.I. is blogging from jail
Next: Riffs: Five things we learned from reading rock star autobiographies

Comments

When a celebrated person passes on, we may pause and reflect for a moment on his or her life and career, but then we move on. We may watch with appreciation the brilliant performance of a long dead James Dean in the film Giant and think not a thing about his absence from our lives. That's not the case in this instance.

I sure do miss John Lennon.

It is ironic, and maybe even fitting, that our final vision of him is not as the sweet old curmudgeon we always knew he would turn out to be - but as the Lennon of 1980: Forever young, eternally whimsical, steadfastly defiant, deadly serious, and hopelessly silly - all of the paradoxes that were combined in this one incredible, enigmatic persona.

I'll say it again. I sure do miss John Lennon.

I won't recap the events of that horrible moment thirty years ago tonight. It's too painful a memory. I'll close by saying that those of us who are old enough to remember are fortunate to have lived during the period that John Lennon thrived. On this, the seventieth anniversary of his birth, it's best not to dwell on the manner in which he died, or on all that might have been. I think it's best that we reflect on a wonderful life, nobly lived - and the music - that beautiful, timeless music. Dream. Dream away. Magic's in the air....

Tom Degan