Gerry Rafferty and Japan's Mick Karn pass away; Uh, Dave Sitek joins Jane's Addiction; Gucci Mane institutionalized
- Gerry Rafferty, best known for penning classic rock hits such as "Baker Street" and "Stuck in the Middle With You," died at the age of 63 on Tuesday. The Scottish singer-songwriter was said to earn nearly $125,000 annually in royalties from "Baker Street." Younger generations may remember the Foo Fighters cover of "Baker Street" and "Stuck in the Middle With You" immortalized in "Reservoir Dogs" when Mr. Blonde did some ear-chopping.
- Mick Karn, bassist for art-rock originals Japan, also passed away yesterday, at the age of 52. Karn also collaborated with Bauhaus's Peter Murphy and released many solo albums.
- Here's one we didn't see coming. Dave Sitek, he of TV on the Radio fame and of Maximum Balloon lesser fame, will be playing bass for Jane's Addiction as the band works on its first album since 2003. Doesn't he have a Scarlett Johansson album to produce? The Village Voice imagined "25 Headlines Not As Weird As "Dave Sitek Joins Jane's Addiction."
- It's been a rough week for Georgia rappers. First Waka Flocka Flake surrendered to authorities on a gun, drug and gang charges. Now Gucci Mane has been committed to a mental health facility for being unable to "intelligently participate in [his] probation revocation hearing."
- Our colleague Anne Midgette, the Post's classical music critic, will appear at Politics & Prose tonight at 7 p.m. to discuss "My Nine Lives: A Memoir of Many Careers in Music," the memoir of pianist/conductor Leon Fleisher, which was co-written with Midgette.
Click shuffle: Your random song for Wednesday morning:
- Oneida, "Brownout in Lagos"
| January 5, 2011; 9:30 AM ET
Categories: Morning click | Tags: Dave Sitek, Gerry Rafferty, Gucci Mane, Jane's Addiction, Mick Karn
Save & Share: Previous: In concert: Lower Dens at Millennium Stage
Next: Eleven minutes at the Red Door Loft -- and other off-the-beaten-path spaces to see shows in 2011
Posted by: hungrypirana | January 5, 2011 12:12 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: Viss1 | January 5, 2011 5:47 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: mortified469 | January 5, 2011 9:38 PM | Report abuse
Posted by: galabs2000 | January 6, 2011 3:14 AM | Report abuse