Two Birds, One Column: Wise Alienates United Fans, Irritates Caps Fans

Everyone is so darn sensitive these days. Can't Mike Wise write a nice column praising Alex Ovechkin and the Capitals without being attacked from all sides?

It turns out that no; no he can't, if he's going to say this: "Ovechkin is about to become the first Washington star in 25 years to win the most valuable player award in a major American team sport."

And this: "Not since Joe Theismann was the NFL MVP in 1983 has any athlete from the District come close."

Whoops. Wise seems to have forgotten about three MLS MVPs from D.C. United, aka the red-headed stepchild of the Washington sports scene.

jonkmartin@gmail.com: Wise; nothing but love for you, but please do a little MVP research. Etcheverry, Gomez and Emilio have all been league MVPs while playing for DC (all within the past 10 years)! Imagine that! And if you are going to try and weasel your way out by stating MLS isn't a "major" league, then shame on you; I'll take my lovin' else where and let you wallow in your ignorance.
soccerman: Wise? Jeez, try and live up to your name!. . . . You're a sports columnist...soccer is a sport and DC United has had 3 MVPs in the last decade. Wake up, remember RFK, and come out and watch a game...you might like it.
RIP-21: 2006-7 NHL average attendance: 16,500; 2006-7 Capitals avg attendance: 14,000; 2007 MLS avg attendance: 16,670, 2007 DC United avg attendance: 21,000

Can't really argue with the numbers, but PowerBoater makes a good point:

PowerBoater69: Winning MVP of the NHL means that Ovechkin would be widely considered the best hockey player in the world. Etcheverry, Gomez, and Emilio all had nice years, but please, no one would ever think that an MLS MVP was even in the discussion for the world's best soccer player.

Still though, is Major League Soccer not a major American team sport? What about this?

Now on the other hand, we have the bitter Capitals fans who don't want Wise -- or you, for that matter -- jumping on the bandwagon this late into the season. What happened to "the more the merrier?"

daddy_axe: welcome to 2008 mike, the verizon center has been sold out or darn close since january. nice to see local media discovering the caps with 3 games left in the season.
je121819: Stay off the bandwagon Wise, real Caps fans don't need you and your twice a year columns. This article is full of flaws, comparing Semin to Scott Stevens for throwing one check, OV supplanting Crosby as the marquee player (try watching NHL Network, VS or NBC games it's still a Crosby loveathon), Huet is a UFA, no guarantee he will be back.

And then we have the Caps fans who are just plain irritable, maybe feeling the heat of a tight playoff race.

dcfury: Wow way to write an article that was all about Ovechkin and the Playoff push and in just the last few sentences make it completely about how worthless you think Olie is. Thanks a lot pal you didn't distract the team enough the first time so why not distract them again during this crucial time.

Guess what? You just have to watch the game, buddy. Take it easy.

Keedrowe: WHATEVER! To us it will be just another typical washington pro sports team get excited about nothing season if they don't get to and go deep into the playoffs.

Hey -- who let the Redskins fan in?

By Lindsay Applebaum |  April 3, 2008; 10:47 AM ET  | Category:  Capitals , D.C. United
Previous: Patriots, Belichick and Videotape | Next: What Do You Mean, We Play Again Sunday?

Comments

Wise's column wasn't bad, and the Kolzig stuff was OK.

But nobody cares what his neighbor thinks.

Wise's neighbor, I mean, not Kolzig's.

Posted by: Eddie C | April 3, 2008 10:58 AM

Wise's article is a day late and a dollar short. Let's get another bald guy to write a blog about something he obviously doesn't watch... Oh wait. Looks like the Post already has that taken care of.

So let's have him write about an article that all the other major news outlets have already written, two weeks ago. Oh wait.

Why don't we get a writer that actually pays attention to hockey besides Tarik? How many baseball writers does the Post have vs. hockey writers? I know it's more than one. The Post has the Capitals behind all the other sports teams in the area, and NHL last displayed on the scoreboard between the other leagues.

It doesn't really matter anyways, I just read Tarik's page and then NHL.com for more hockey news. The Post are throwing away considerable amounts of online advertising page views by not featuring more hockey features. Especially with all the new fans that are getting interested now because of Ovechkin, Backstrom, Green, Semin, Fedorov, Huet, and more... Can you imagine how we'd be playing if Nylander wasn't out for most of the season?

But at least get a guy that will write about something new and interesting instead of regurgitating the same content that's already been reported. What was the point of the Wise's piece? It was nothing. I didn't learn anything new from it, or gain any additional insight.

Posted by: MNMNT | April 3, 2008 1:19 PM

Cristobal Huet is the King of the Crease.

BOW TO THE KING, dcfury.

Viva Huet!

Posted by: King Huet | April 3, 2008 1:30 PM

The guy giving a tutorial in "Lying with Statistics" by giving only the average crowd numbers for the Caps and United omitted the total attendance numbers for both teams:

2006 DC United 273,225; 2006-2007 Caps 571,129 (one of the worst in the NHL)

2007 DC United 314,505; 2006-2007 597,893 (to date; two remaining home games which are almost sure sellouts).

The Caps more than DOUBLE United's attendance figures. They play more games, but they play them in an arena with about 40% of RFK's capacity, with less overhead, and draw many more spectators, despite the mediocre local coverage. The revenue is far, far higher.

Granted, DC United has made the playoffs the last couple years, and the Caps haven't, so they get a few more spectators from the post-season. Of course, even a first round loss in the NHL playoffs that goes to five or six games would bring more spectators to Caps playoff games than to United playoff games, at way higher ticket prices. United fans will also point out that they won trophies in 2006 and 2007, but don't listen to them: the "trophy" was the MLS equivalent of the President's Trophy and is of little consequence, even if United fans lie and say they won the MLS Championship.

I'm not saying this because I hate soccer. On the contrary I love the sport and watch MLS regularly, and even go to RFK a couple times a year (not a United fan). I'm saying this because many United fans, used to being the big fish in the tiny pond that is MLS spend a lot of time insulting fans of other DC area teams, and distort the facts to do so.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | April 3, 2008 2:13 PM

I'm not sure that bringing attendance figures into the discussion is necessarily helpful. If I am not mistaken, average attendance at NBA games did not routinely exceed 10,000 until the 1970s. But surely no one would argue that Bill Russell, Wilt Chamberlain, and Oscar Robertson were not bona fide MVPs who should be mentioned in any discussion of the history of the NBA.

Posted by: cica | April 3, 2008 2:13 PM

I actually think MLS and NHL can be compared in many ways. Both sports are trying very hard to be relevant to the average sports fans. Neither are at the moment. The good news for soccer (including DC United and MLS) is that it is slowly becoming more relevant every year. Hockey is going the other way due to serious gross mismanagement by the NHL. However, if you asked the average sports fan, the NHL is still the more relevant and well known sport (it should be...think about the difference between the salaries of NHL players and MLS players - it's not even close). Full disclosure - I'm a big soccer fan and fan of the other major American sport, but have lost all interest in the NHL. I don't think I'm alone.

Posted by: JohnR | April 3, 2008 2:28 PM

"Wise seems to have forgotten about three MLS MVPs from D.C. United, aka the red-headed stepchild of the Washington sports scene."

I love redheads, they are darn sexy...and I take umbrage to the above comment. :)

I'm a big fan of United and the beautiful game in general and it bothers me not a fart when the success of United and its players are overlooked by the sporting press.

These are people who were raised knowing the BBalls, Football, and sometimes Hockey and have their jobs due to their knowledge of those four sports.

Their sporting world is limited severely limited. If I want information about the BBalls or Football, I go to them. But if I want complete coverage of sports, I go elsewhere.

So they overlook United. That is par for the course, really.

Let us be content, nay, delighted that those who do cover soccer at The Post are top notch journalists who far outshine any other soccer reporter on this continent.

to reiterate: know your source. Get your information from people who know the subject and don't be annoyed when someone who has no training in something is ignorant of it.

Posted by: bribri | April 3, 2008 2:29 PM

I've been a big critic of WaPo's lack of coverage of the NHL in general and the home team Capitals in particular for awhile now. It's no wonder Ted Leonsis goes to the Bloggers to get coverage of his team. The Post editor is kissing up so bad to her 2 stars, that she can't see clear to give space for hockey. She'd rather give space to high school sports than the pro team. Need proof? Look at the Express yesterday. Not a word about the biggest hockey game since 1998. Thank God for Tarik and his blog!

Posted by: Greg S. | April 3, 2008 2:31 PM

Mastodon Juan all i can say is that U SUCK!!!!!!!!

PS sorry to the poster of this thread but this guy just pisses me off with all his crap!!

Posted by: 135 | April 3, 2008 2:33 PM

Lying with statistics? If United only plays HALF the home dates the Caps do, what meaningful way is there to compare the teams' attendance numbers BESIDES average attendance? You purport to be talking statistics but you throw out unsubstantiated, indefensible opinions like they are fact: less overhead at the VC than RFK? Mediocre coverage for the Caps as compared to United? Let's see a citation for these supposed "facts."

And don't let bitter Juan try to convince you that the Supporters' Shield is of little consequence in MLS. The Supporters' Shield winner is one of two MLS invitees to the CONCACAF Champions Cup, and thus has a chance to earn participation in the FIFA Club World Cup. Most soccer leagues around the world recognize the regular season winner as the league champion; only the US, with its obsession with playoffs, requires another round of games in order to determine the MLS Champ (which I will freely admit Houston Dynamo have now won two years running).

Jeez Juan, can't you find some RedBulls blog to frequent instead of constantly trolling the WaPo site looking for ways to nick United and their fanbase?

Posted by: JB | April 3, 2008 2:42 PM

Please click on "About This Blog." Applebaum said nothing about this blog being the exclusive preserve of fans of United or any other local team. Incidentally, the same goes for Goff and his blog.

Posted by: cica | April 3, 2008 2:47 PM

Mastodon: The figures you cited do not include international competitions, super liga etc. Add another 125-150 thousand to your attendence numbers for DC United. On numerous occassions reporters from the post have talked about attendance numbers without discussing all the international tournaments DC United plays in. They are a very important part of our schedule.

The vast majority of DC United fans are fans of other local teams including the redskins and the caps. Members of the Barra were involved with trying to start a similar group for caps games and the Barra has done offseason caps games.

The vast majority of United fans do not bash other sports or fans of other sports. Trying to correct the numerous oversights and factual mistakes the post writers make is understandable.

Posted by: victory | April 3, 2008 2:48 PM

Thanks for your words of support, 135. If you get that worked up that you are willing to make a fool of yourself because someone pointed out the obvious-- that if attendance is what matters, there are many more butts in seats at during Caps seasons than United's, and that translates to revenue and most importantly the quality of the players either team can afford-- I feel good.

As a soccer fan, Ovechkin:Hockey::Cristiano Ronaldo:Soccer. They're both amazing goal scorers who can also get assists, fast, agile, and very, very exciting. Ovechkin and Ronaldo are also the most exciting players in their respective sports right now.

NHL MVP is equivalent NOT to MLS MVP, but to FIFA World Footballer of the Year. Get over yourselves, United fans, and wake me up when you can put the soccer equivalent of Ovechkin on the field. Marco Etcheverry, probably the best player in United's history, was pretty good, but at best, the soccer equivalent of Brian Sutherby.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | April 3, 2008 2:49 PM

NHL MVP is equivalent NOT to MLS MVP, but to FIFA World Footballer of the Year.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | April 3, 2008 02:49 PM

---------------------------------------------------

Then why didn't the column reference "best player in the world?"

It didn't so don't try and move the goalposts. It referenced the MVP of a major American sport, and if you look at things after unbunching your panties, it's pretty clear that MLS and the NHL are on relatively even turf when it comes to "major" status.

Posted by: Brian | April 3, 2008 2:56 PM

"Members of the Barra were involved with trying to start a similar group for caps games and the Barra has done offseason caps games."

I remember this, and I remember the mocking tone of the posts by the Barra members who went to the game.

I'm not the one who tried to distort the picture by offering average attendance numbers. But you're not wrong to point out the difference in number of games as long as you also acknowledge the average Caps ticket price is almost double that of United.

The additional games for all those competitions and playoff games added around 86k spectators to United's totals in 2007, by the way. Still about 230,000 fans SHORT of the Caps attendance (not including a possible playoff run-- and 1997-98 saw a dozen extra home games, and over 230k additional spectators, for perspective.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | April 3, 2008 3:07 PM

Uh, last I saw this wasn't about Caps v United. I cheer for both and am excited about the Caps possiblities.

The fact remains that the majority of sport's writers, columnists and editors are woefully ignorant of the world's game---football, and not the American kind.

I've seen a huge upswing for soccer since I've been around these parts. There are billionaire owners (Hunt, Kraft, MacFarlane), celebrity owners (Drew Carey, Oscar de La Hoya) and lots of new fans.

The media's ignorance of football notwithstanding, MLS is here to stay.

Posted by: delantero | April 3, 2008 3:07 PM

Mastodon,

Please go away.

Thanks,

Reasonable People Everywhere.

Posted by: not here too | April 3, 2008 3:09 PM

So let me get this straight- If a Kansas city columnist mentioned Kansas City MVP's and overlooked Preki, or a New York columnist overlooked Guevara fans who pointed out this overlooking would also be worhty of your derision and you'd continually whine about them, Juan? Or do you just occupy DC blogs because you are a Jersey troll who doesn't seem to post anywhere else on any other team but the DC team that is not his to ridicule them?

Posted by: bluemeanies | April 3, 2008 3:09 PM

Thanks, Brian. Even if I DIDN'T live in the District, and weren't a paid subscriber to the Post, it's a major national newspaper and I would reasonably assume I could post here unmolested.

Thank God for United fans. I'm waiting on a lengthy flight delay and this is helping to kill time.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | April 3, 2008 3:10 PM

I pick on United fans because (1) many of them are among the most unjustifiably arrogant and unsufferable sports fans who aren't in pinstripes, (2) my work has taken me to DC and I have to put up with them everywhere, and (3) I am a rabid Metros, uh, RBNY fan.

And Big Soccer is worthless. I occasionally read what people have to say there, but I have never even registered. Storm and fury and echo chambers. It's better here.

Also, I actually have grown kind of partial to the Caps. I was never a Devils or Rangers fan. But that's as far as I can stretch my loyalties.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | April 3, 2008 3:15 PM

Juan, I say this with the utmost sincerity: I've totally lost the bubble on your whole attendance figures argument. What point are you making again? And I'm not trying to be needlessly antagonistic; I really don't understand how the number of people who attend games across the NHL factors into whether or not United's MLS MVPs were slighted by Mike Wise.

Posted by: JB | April 3, 2008 3:22 PM

I'm sitting here doing some fact-checking on some colleagues' work, which is why I'm wondering who was Wise's copy editor. Shouldn't that person share the responsibility for this faux pas, just as I would if I let something like that slip by?

Posted by: cica | April 3, 2008 3:25 PM

If someone catches that gaffe, Wise's column loses a lot of visceral impact. It now reads "Ovechkin is about to become the first Washington star in six months to win the most valuable player award in a major American team sport." or "Not since Luciano Emilio was the MLS MVP last November has any athlete from the District come close."

You gotta admit; it's not quite as impressive!

Posted by: JB | April 3, 2008 3:34 PM

"However, if you asked the average sports fan, the NHL is still the more relevant and well known sport "

the average ESPN-watching, Washington Post-reading, American sports fan, sure.

"NHL MVP is equivalent NOT to MLS MVP, but to FIFA World Footballer of the Year."

Well actually, if you want to really make a fair comparison, you have to account for the discrepancy of soccer players vs. hockey players. Ovetchkin is in the top .1% of pro hockey players, let's say. But the top .1% of pro soccer players is in the hundreds. Why don't you do some more statistical analysis on this while you're waiting for your flight and get back to us?

Posted by: Glaucon | April 3, 2008 3:35 PM

JB, I was responding to the comment in the original entry by RIP-21. The line of reasoning is a loser for MLS.

Glaucon, fair point: the smaller universe of hockey players would tend to make the chances of extreme outliers lower than in soccer.

But Ovechkin is a total joy to watch. There has never been as compelling a player in MLS, in my opinion.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | April 3, 2008 3:40 PM

Juan, I'm not certain average attendance is as meaningless as you think. What that stat tells me is that, when both teams play, on average, DC United outdraws the Caps. Is it relevant that the Caps play twice as many home games as United, and therefore are seen by more people? Perhaps. But if you extend that line of reasoning, if United were to play 40+ home games, how are we to know that they would not outdraw the Caps IN TOTAL over the course of the season? Furthermore, the size of their respective arenas is totally irrelevant. By your math, a team that plays in a 100k+ arena and averages 25K/game, still outdraws a team that plays in a 24K seat arena and sells out every date.

I think the real argument here is relative growth potential of the two leagues. The NHL has been playing since 1917 and is largely regarded as in a long period of slow decline. MLS has only been playing since 1996 and is still growing in this country, owing in large part to the popularity of the sport among youth in America.

Having said ALL that, I hope and pray that Ovie wins the MVP and the Caps sneak into the playoffs. See, no hate there! C-A-P-S! CAPS CAPS CAPS!

Posted by: JB | April 3, 2008 3:52 PM

Posted by: Dave Lifton | April 3, 2008 3:53 PM

Point being, in order to declare NHL hockey to be a "major American team sport" and MLS Soccer not to be one, you have to draw the line in an arbitrary place. If anything, Mastodon Juan's pedantic attendance argument tends to emphasize the point (if his mere existence as a Red Bulls fan having to "correct" DC Untied fans on the second most popular sports blog on WashingtonPost.com, Steve Goff's Soccer Insider, didn't already).

Sad truth is, although hockey is more popular than soccer in this country, the major sport game is one we probably BOTH lose. Media folks tend to define major sport as one that can draw TV ratings on a relatively regular basis, and neither NHL hockey nor MLS soccer can do that at the moment.

Posted by: S | April 3, 2008 3:54 PM

******************************************

If you were commenting on RIP-21 rather than Wise, you should have said so in the first place. As I pointed out above, this line of reasoning is, most of all, a loser for common sense, as it would imply that the pre-1970 NBA was not a major American team sport. All you did was perpetuate RIP-21's faulty premise that attendance figures are especially relevant, instead of shutting it down.

Posted by: cica | April 3, 2008 3:58 PM

"Media folks tend to define major sport as one that can draw TV ratings on a relatively regular basis, and neither NHL hockey nor MLS soccer can do that at the moment."

Perhaps, but there are TWO MLS matches on national TV tonight. That's a 100% improvement from last year (though I doubt they're doing this every week).

Posted by: Glaucon | April 3, 2008 4:11 PM

Fair points, S and Cica. As antagonistic as I am towards DC fans, I genuinely would like to stop the more patently dead-end logic that tends to get repeated, usually having to do with finding ways to compare MLS to other sports. I believe-- NAY, am CERTAIN-- that MLS is situated and growing such that no MLS fans have any reason to be defensive about the merits of the league.

But inapt comparisons don't make that case.

And with that it seems that I have to get on my flight.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | April 3, 2008 4:13 PM

Glaucon, I suspect we are getting two games simply because ESPN doesn't have any meaningless college football games to show tonight.

Posted by: JB | April 3, 2008 4:14 PM

Full disclosure: My longest passion for any sports team is for the Caps, who I have loved since I can remember. My most intense feelings, though, are for United. They are, by far, my two favorite sports teams/individuals.

This attendance argument has nothing to do with the topic. Let's see if I can stay on topic:

On United players getting snubbed by Wise: I don't see how anyone can question that Wise dropped the ball here. Most reasonable sports pundits would agree that if you can still call the NHL a major sport, you have to also call MLS major. Thus, Wise should have noted Etcheverry, Gomez, and Emilio's MVP seasons. Even worse, in my opinion, is that no editor stepped in to make the correction. I expect better from the Post, which normally treats soccer better than any paper in the country. I also expect better from Mike Wise, who wrote a couple of good pieces on Jaime Moreno back in 2004 right around our 4th MLS Cup victory.

Comparing Ovechkin (the world's best hockey player) to United's MVPs is irrelevant. The issue at hand is that United fans are peeved at another perceived snub. What US soccer fan doesn't have a Napoleon complex? And, on this occasion, I believe we are in the right to complain.

Now, as for Caps fans not wanting people jumping on the bandwagon: Get over yourselves. Do you also get mad when the unknown band you like has a hit and gets popular? That is perhaps the most insufferable attitude I can imagine. You'd prefer the Caps play in your back yard, for you and no one else, rather than enjoy the fact that this whole city is actually abuzz with talk of hockey for the first time in 5 years. That's pathetic.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | April 3, 2008 4:27 PM

Wise thinks a soccer match ends with a buzzer, or so he said in one of his columns! Do you really care if this dimwit fails to recognize the sport?

I'll be happy if he continues not to recognize MLS so long as he promises never to write about it again.

Posted by: Wiseacre | April 3, 2008 4:39 PM

Mastodon Juan is only here because the Red Pukes are so horrible even he can't bring himself to read about them.

Posted by: Rocko | April 3, 2008 5:16 PM

Mastadon Juan, I think you are confusing DC United fans with a minor few. We ended the season last year with the best league record. Which in some football leagues, like the EPL, is the championship. We did not win the MLS cup but we won the Supporters Shield.

Clearly the caps would bring in more revenue, with a longer season and higher ticket prices. But I don't think we can devalue anyones accomplishments, whether it be OV or Moreno. MLS may be a substandard league compared to the leagues of Europe, but an MVP is an accomplishment nonetheless. That said an MVP in the NHL is too an accomplishment being that it is the premier league in the world.

In my opinion DC United fans are some of the best fans in the league. But I fail to see where the majority of them jus tinsult other DC Area sports teams. I follow the Caps, O's, and Zards religiously, and I can say that is true for a number of other DCU season ticket holders that I know of.

Posted by: Kevin | April 3, 2008 5:18 PM

That's PowerBoater69 to you my dear.

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | April 3, 2008 5:55 PM

38th!

Posted by: Rocko | April 3, 2008 6:02 PM

Chest Rockwell: I agree that Wise should have mentioned United's MVPs, but I think it was a genuine mistake rather than a snub.

Brian, I also agree that MLS and the NHL are on even turf. The VALUE of being named MVP is irrelevant in this argument.

Mastodon Juan, keep on doing what you do. You SHOULD be able to post whatever you want.

Posted by: Lindsay Applebaum | April 3, 2008 6:24 PM

I am a blogger's best friend, what with my hornetsneststirring (that is a word in German).

Keep writing about MLS, Lindsay! I hate to see United fans get such ego gratification, but the Barra Brava puts on a nice show, and DCU are a pretty good team with supporters as devoted as any in town.

Posted by: Mastodon Juan | April 3, 2008 7:31 PM

Y SALTA Y SALTA Y SALTA LA NORTE SALTA.........

Posted by: DC UNITED | April 3, 2008 11:42 PM

Congrats to Etcheverry, Gomez and Emilio on their previous MVP awards.

Hopefully Ovechkin will join them (and Joe Theismann) as the holders of some MVP hardware.

Posted by: Hooray for awards | April 4, 2008 7:59 AM

Posted by: Lindsay Applebaum

A mistake? Really? Like he knew and had it in his notes and somehow deleted it? Come on.....he used the words "major sport" for a reason. He sees soccer as a minor inconvenience - he, like Kornheiser and other scared old men, don't know why but, they hate soccer.
DCU fans (and Caps fans too)should just ignore it. Its smells of whining. I allowed some of this to bother me previously. Now I just ignore them like they ignore me and my teams.

Posted by: marksman | April 4, 2008 8:07 AM

Am I the only person that finds it funny that a blog about some of the less rational comments that readers make is filled with irrational comments itself?

Or am I just adding to the white noise?

Posted by: FS | April 4, 2008 9:32 AM

Capitals fans need to pretend like they are actually from Washington, D.C. and stop screaming "O" during the national anthem. It's a disgrace. Go Back to Baltimore!

Posted by: mjwies11, Section 320 | April 4, 2008 9:46 AM

ESPN led off with Ovechkin this morning, saying he could be the 6th MVP in Washington history, obviously excluding MLS.

Posted by: RK | April 4, 2008 10:44 AM

*****************************************

And Disney/BSPN is the MLS' principal broadcast outlet, at that. Can you imagine CBS being so oblivious to the history of the Masters golf tournament?

Posted by: cica | April 4, 2008 12:02 PM

So when is the next US-born MVP that plays for a DC-based team?

I think that is why Wise doesnt like the Caps (NHL) nor United (MLS).

Posted by: Vic | April 4, 2008 2:19 PM

yawwwwwwwwn.....did someone actually get upset about soccer-er foobal? he did say major. that would take how seriously the fans take-support-pay to see the game. fill the stands, then complain. the CAPS have finally put a product for every fan to watch. soccer needs to lose the stupid offside thing and all that bad acting, D movie fall down crap. pink card them

Posted by: devans | April 4, 2008 8:42 PM

Wise knew all about D.C. United's MVP's, he did the closing on Washington post live tv show the night before his column was in the Post. The host Russ Thaler pointed it out to him. Wise is a Kornholio wannabe. Mastodon is a Redballs fan,no surprise.

Posted by: zosodave | April 4, 2008 10:39 PM

Dear fellow hockey and soccer fans,

Can't we focus our derision on our mutual enemy baseball and save the enmity for another day. Both sports have been screwed over by the lack of media coverage and both United and the Caps have a bright and strong future. Fans of both sports have had to retreat to various corners of the internet to get information that the mainstream media overlooks. Why are we fighting,we are in the same boat.

Posted by: Anonymous | April 5, 2008 12:59 PM

The Redskins are the EVIL Empire of media coverage.

Posted by: zosodave | April 6, 2008 3:46 PM