Redskins Video Progress Report

File this under Things I Thought I'd Never See on the Redskins Insider:

dwdjmu: REDSKINS OVERLOAD!

Say what now? Too much Redskins? That's a new one.

The Insider crew has been quite critical of Post reporter Jason Reid's OTA video updates, but this is unprecedented.

Here's the latest video for reference:

Reid says he wants feedback, so here it is, typed up in a nice little report:

The major issue here seems to be the backdrop, or lack thereof. The current setup is slightly Blair Witch Project-ish.

dwdjmu: maybe they're using all of their free time out at the park looking for sketchy hallways in which to shoot web videos.

AL Zeke etc: Jason -- you absolutely need a backdrop, maybe a helmet with WaPo on it. And something subliminal would be cool, like a single frame that says 'Snyder sucks' or something. Or barely audible music about paranoia. And maybe a contest or two, where people can vote on something. Or win bonus points.

P Diddy: BTW, if the Jasons did their act in front of a green screen, we could do all sorts of cool mashups and post them on the Inter-tubes.

Word on the street (actually, word from my boss, Jon DeNunzio) is that they're working on getting a banner for the backdrop. I still vote for green screen.

Additional ideas to improve upon the videos:

Josh: How about much later in the off-season, periodic position breakdowns, with individual segments for each area, also focusing on their adjustments. And what's a West Coast Offense? I know what it generally refers to, but it's thrown around so loosely these days - does it mean anything anymore?

And even better ideas:

Hizzle: My request for the video blog is to hear him sing "Hold My Hand"

Uncanny!

What else do you want to see? Throw out some ideas.

By Lindsay Applebaum |  June 5, 2008; 4:47 PM ET  | Category:  Redskins
Previous: Fastest Man in the Whatever | Next: Voodoo Bobbleheads

Comments

I believe the fine folks at MAD Magazine referred to themselves as "the usual gang of idiots." That's more or less a fair description of the devoted, demented commenting community over on Redskins Insider. Of which I are one.

What I'm saying is, ask a silly question of a silly group of people like us, and you're gonna get a slew of silly answers...

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 5, 2008 5:21 PM

I would love nothing more, Nate.

Posted by: Lindsay Applebaum | June 5, 2008 5:35 PM

I think it's a little bit weird that there's a WashPo blogger blogging about nerds commenting about WashPo blogs. If Lindsay blogs about this comment, will the universe explode?

Posted by: P Diddy | June 5, 2008 5:36 PM

I tried it once, Diddy. Don't want to talk about it.

Posted by: Lindsay Applebaum | June 5, 2008 5:40 PM

So, in this brave new world, are all WashPo reporters issued video cameras? I would love to see Lindsay video blogging about nerds commenting about Dan Balz taping Chris Cilizza taping his FixCam.

The possibilities are endless. Cronkite and Murrow would be so proud.

Posted by: P Diddy | June 5, 2008 5:52 PM

posted this on the video page, but it seems like it fits better here:

about the video:

The content's fine -- though it'd be nice that if you're going to do video that you'd be able to broadcast an interview "away from Redskins Park" once a week or something. Or something else that we've "just gotta see" (like Rabach's car from this morning).

Essentially, I don't see any benefit in having this stuff conveyed to us as a video when it would be just as well-suited, if not better-suited, as a podcast which we could download and listen to in the time that we're commuting from work to home and being forced to take a break from perpetually refreshing RI.

Posted by: snides | June 5, 2008 6:18 PM

Is there a blog that blogs about THIS blog?

Feels like one of those bathrooms with a mirror in front of you and behind you. The upside is that you can FINALLY get a good look at your upper back. The downside is blogs and calculus (and frankly anything approaching infinity) don't mix ....

Posted by: dcsween | June 5, 2008 9:50 PM

If anyone wants to do a video blog about this blog, I will blog about the comments on it.

Posted by: Lindsay Applebaum | June 5, 2008 10:20 PM

I'm definitely blogging about this blog tomorrow.

Posted by: Dan Steinberg | June 5, 2008 10:28 PM

Ms. Applebaum, you and Mr. Steinbog ought to come to our little Redskins Insider blog community meet-up Saturday afternoon in DC. It's gonna be awesome. A bunch of nerds from the internet actually getting together in person. Fancy that! Breaking the fourth wall, or the glass ceiling, or the bounds of good taste, or something along those lines.

Details can be found on RI a few threads back, or I'd be happy to email them, just ping me at nateinthepdx at gmail dot com.

Cheers.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 5, 2008 10:39 PM

Look, I'm probably one of the coolest people you'll ever meet. Hell, my shoes always match my outfit, and, let's face it, I always moisturize. But only a complete imbecile would come out to meet a bunch of nerds from the Inter-tubes. I mean, really. What are you expecting, here? It's not like we're going to share recipes for canapes and reminisce wistfully about our first time reading "The Great Gatsby". We're going to be talking "Star Trek". And we're going to get into a heated Picard vs. Kirk discussion. While it's true that I prefer Janeway to them all, this is immaterial. My gut hangs over my ankles in ways heretofore unimaginable, and my fellow nerds find this altogether endearing. "Sexy" is something that once appeared in the back of my mind at 11 years of age, henceforth unseen in the annals of my imagination.

My advice is to find a nice quiet bar and drink heavily. Which is the same advice I'd give a damsel in distress, a gentleman in the throes of passion, and a mere citizen fleeing an impending nucular holocaust.

Me? I'm going to find a quiet spot in the bar and drink my face off. If anyone talks to me with hair growing out of their eyeballs, I'll direct them to Nate. If anyone wants to video blog the whole charade, I will punch their lights out. Everyone else, I will hug and serenade with a lecherous smile and green screen.

Posted by: P Diddy | June 6, 2008 4:51 AM

BTW, this is my new favorite blog. I'm going to post here as if it were my own.

Posted by: P Diddy | June 6, 2008 4:53 AM

Posted by: Ouroboros | June 6, 2008 7:27 AM

I do find the WaPo Blog sports culture funny as all get out. I mean are you writers just sitting in the office break room reading comments all day?

Posted by: Alex35332 | June 6, 2008 9:37 AM

"nerds from the inter-tubes?"

I practically live on the inter-tubes, P Diddy. Don't insult my people.

Alex: Yes.

Posted by: Lindsay Applebaum | June 6, 2008 11:15 AM

i Love this blog now, and agree with P Diddy! This is like meta times infinity!

Posted by: cHrIs lARRY | June 6, 2008 12:14 PM

Love the ouroboros reference*.

I'll see that and raise you one chupacabra.

* And I especially appreciate it as a not entirely subtle way of implying that this whole deal is something of a circle jerk.

Posted by: Nate in the PDX | June 6, 2008 12:25 PM

Thx cL (and F cL).

JRied as Hootie was well worth the trip over heah.

Rok rok AUN!

Posted by: The AMAZING Dik Shuttle of the Fabulous ShuttleLOUNGE | June 6, 2008 12:27 PM

P Diddy,

Everybody who comments on WashPost blogs aren't ugly nerds. Not to toot my own horn, but I have been called "hot" on several occasions by people besides my relatives.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 6, 2008 12:27 PM

"Not to toot my own horn, but I have been called 'hot' on several occasions by people besides my relatives."

The Chair thanks the gentlewoman from the intimately close state of West Virginia.

Posted by: Anonymous | June 6, 2008 2:06 PM

The posts on this blog about blogging about blog postings and the comments on those blog postings has to be one of the funniest series of postings on a blog I've ever seen in my brief blog posting commenting career.

blog

Posted by: Blog | June 6, 2008 2:37 PM

Per the Wikipedia depiction of the Chupacabra, I thought the eyes would be smaller and the spikes less pronounced. Live and learn. Though I'm pretty sure the mouth should be completely closed when it's in that position.

But I'll see your Chupacabra and raise you one -- no, five -- Hopkinsville Goblins.

Posted by: The 100 Proof Is Out There | June 6, 2008 2:37 PM

I raise you 30,000 gremlins and a liger.

Posted by: Lindsay Applebaum | June 6, 2008 7:23 PM