Headed to Phoenix

Editors' Note: Throughout Super Bowl week, washingtonpost.com will publish posts from Redskins great Darrell Green in this blog. The posts also will be available on his blog on his website, DarrellGreen.com, after The Post publishes them. Here's Darrell's first post:

To the Redskins faithful, all of you who remember the good old days, and the Darrell Green fans -- especially those of you who were kind enough to keep in touch with me through DarrellGreen.com (thank you!) -- I want to let you all know, if you haven't already heard, that I've been selected as a 2008 Pro Football Hall of Fame finalist.

It goes without saying that my family and I are extremely pumped! So much so that we've decided that, should I be fortunate enough to be selected, we should be there in Phoenix for the live press conference; so we're going. Hopefully, you all have the NFL Network, which will air the announcement live at 2:30 ET this Super Bowl Saturday. I want you all to see it and celebrate with us.

Now, don't get me wrong! Trust me, I don't know if I'm going to get in or not. But don't worry, we've got a plan: If I'm not selected, we'll just slide out the nearest side door lick our wounds, celebrate the selectees, and continue to enjoy the great western sunshine of Arizona.

Simply put, we'll live. Either way, I wanted to share my thoughts and plans with you. Let me know your thoughts, good or bad it doesn't matter; I want to hear from you.

Next post: Redskins Coaching Change

By Darrell Green |  January 29, 2008; 3:12 PM ET
Next: Redskins Coaching Search

Comments

Darrell, we love and miss you! It will be so great to see you get inducted in the HOF. You're a true superstar and an inspiration to all

Posted by: Skins Fan | January 29, 2008 3:58 PM

Darrell,
My earliest memories of professional football are highlighted by your spectacular performances as a Washington Redskin.

My Dad and I still talk about that punt return you had against the Bears in '87.
Now, I tell my son bed-time stories about how a little guy named Darrell overcame the odds and played like a champoin in a league full of giants.

You will forever be the greatest Redskin of all time. You epitomize what being a true Washington Redskin means to the fans.

Posted by: Harrisonburg, VA | January 29, 2008 4:05 PM

Darrel, you are very missed. I really hope you get inducted to the HOF. 28 is the only jersey I own, and brings me memories of all the respect and class you brought to the redskins.

Posted by: OKC Skins Fan | January 29, 2008 4:05 PM

Darrell,
No question you'll get in. Thanks for the 20 years you performed to the best of your abilities every single game. The Hall of Fame is where you belong.

Posted by: Skins Fan 4L | January 29, 2008 4:13 PM

You've always been the greatsst... pride of the Skins... if not this weekend, then very soon for sure, the Hall of Fame.

You're already in the Hall of Fame of Class and Peformance.

All the best !!!!

Posted by: RJ_NY SKINS FAN | January 29, 2008 4:18 PM

Darrell Green

Hall of Fame first and foremost as a person.

Hall of Fame as an example of what all of us should strive to be as human beings.

NFL Hall of Fame First Ballot - if not shame on the selectors. Who should already be ashamed for not yet selecting Art Monk. Michael Irwin was a HOF receiver, but should never have been selected ahead of #81.

Let's hope the injustice to the great Redskins teams of the 80's is finally rectified, with DG, Art, Joe Jacoby and Russ Grimm all getting in this year. All deserve to be in.

Posted by: Bill | January 29, 2008 4:26 PM

Darrell,
Your bust deserves to be enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. Not only are you one of the greatest Redskins, you are one of the greatest of all-time. What I want to know is -what are your thoughts on your teammate, Art Monk, still not being recognized in the Hall of Fame?

Posted by: | January 29, 2008 4:30 PM

Darrell,

You won't be slipping out any side doors. You are a first ballot Hall of Famer if there ever was one. The question is, will you break the record for vote percentage. I will be in Canton to listen to your induction speech because you are my all time hero as a player and as a person. Hail

Posted by: Jim | January 29, 2008 4:49 PM

Darrell,

It is with great appreciation that my family waits along with yours on your selection into the HOF. Your career has been a pleasure to watch and you have provided us with moments we will never forget. Running down Dorsett and Dickerson, defending the goal line against Minnesota, and the unbelievable punt return in Chicago on that cold January day.

We will see you in Canton in person.

Good Luck!!!!

Posted by: Rhett | January 29, 2008 4:52 PM

Darrell

You personify the best in human dignity and pride. We are elated for your great accomplishment...In our hearts you will always be number 1 and our Hall of Famer forever...

Posted by: Sam | January 29, 2008 5:01 PM

Darell -

Best of luck. You'll be in and you deserve it. Hopefully you will coat tail in Art Monk whose candidacy suffers from not enough abuse of cocaine and women.

Posted by: ART MONK NOW | January 29, 2008 5:01 PM

Mr. Green you are the defintion of Hall of Fame!

I have always said that you are the Best Cornerback of all time!

I am proud to say that my sons first Redskins Jersey was #28

Hail to the Redskins!

Posted by: Josh F. | January 29, 2008 5:03 PM

How about we put together a group and buy the team for Darrell!

Posted by: Dusty | January 29, 2008 5:08 PM

Darrell,

You represent Redskins class.

Posted by: | January 29, 2008 5:25 PM

Darrell,
While I am a diehard Cowboy fan, I would like to extend my heartfelt wishes in hoping you making the Hall of Fame. You are one of the FEW, of the Redskins that I truly admire.
Best wishes to you and your family.

Patsy

Posted by: Cowboy Fan! | January 29, 2008 5:30 PM

Darrell,
Congratulations. Eric Dickerson was one of my all time favorite players, ever. I remember the break-a-way, when we were sure he had a touchdown in the bag, only to be caught from behind. Questioned about that later, he said, "I didn't even have to look up, I knew it was Darrell Green." That was one of the finest defensive plays I've ever seen.

Posted by: Shag | January 29, 2008 6:11 PM

Darrell,
You ARE the redskins, and as much as we loved lavar and how special Sean Taylor was and is to us, no one will ever replace the classiest defensive player we've ever seen!

HTTR

Posted by: Poconnor | January 29, 2008 6:11 PM

You are a Hall of Famer as a man and a player. I enjoyed your play for many years and have no doubt you will be elected.

Posted by: Mike Morgan | January 29, 2008 6:22 PM

To:Darrell Green #28,I have been a Redskin fan all my life.But in 1983 when you were drafted by the Redskins No one knew of you..I did,to run track with the great Carl Lewis,then to the NFL for 20years with the Redskins,I 'm very proud of you and your great accomplishments in the Wash.D.C. area.You are Truly "Mr.Redskin" and should be in the HOF along with your teammates Art Monk and Russ Grimm.You are still the Best CB the NFL ever had!!!!
Hail to the Redskins!
and God Bless you!!

Posted by: Charles | January 29, 2008 6:35 PM

#28,

Just wanna wish you well and it was an honor to watch you play and glad that you wore the burgundy n gold with pride. We don't have many of our own redskins any more due to all the turnover in front office and players being released but thats another topic for another day. congrats D.Green and you still are Mr.Redskin to us! Take Care

Posted by: Cory | January 29, 2008 6:36 PM

Darrell:

I always found football totally dull, but you and Art Monk are still admired by me b/c of those years that the Redskins brought everyone together: D.C., MD and Va, rich and poor, black and white, democrat and republican. If the skins won, everyone was happy! Taxi drivers, businessmen, government workers, waiters - it was wonderful to live in the DC area while you were on the football team.

You deserve to be in that pro football hall of fame AND to have a spot on the Wash. Post website - b/c you are a reminder of everything that is best about the people of D.C. AND your name on this website made this non-sports fan read about sports. Your dignity and graciousness have always been inspirational.

Good Luck!!

Posted by: Amelia | January 29, 2008 6:47 PM

Darrell, 100% all the time. You were a joy to watch and your life after football has been just as great.

Posted by: Pat The Villages, Fl | January 29, 2008 6:48 PM

Bring some bronze cleaner and thank you for being the greatest player,humanitarian and washington redskin of all time.
You are the model for what anyone should be on and off the field. We the fans were blessed to have you. then and now.
Congratulations and may art monk,another gentleman soon find his way. it's a slap in his face that he did not go ahead a crackhead

Posted by: WHERESGIBBS | January 29, 2008 6:52 PM

Darrell,

You're already a Hall of Fame person and player.

Still, it'll be nice to see the rest of football recognize with a well deserved spot in the Hall. Extra special would be to to see you go in with Russ, Art and Emmitt Thomas. Enjoy the day. We know you'll be smiling no matter what the voters think.

Posted by: AL | January 29, 2008 6:56 PM

Darrell,

You'll make Super Bowl Sunday worth watching for me. And whether you make it this year or not, I know you will get in because there is a special place in Canton for people who have not only your skill and talent at football but your character. For over twenty years, I watched the Redskins each Sunday not just to see football but to follow the players and you were always my favorite.

Posted by: | January 29, 2008 8:20 PM

#28 you are truly deserving of a spot in the HOF. Both as a player and as a human being. You stood out on the field and also off w/the Youth Life Foundation. you truly have changed children's lives. for football fans you shone as an example of how to carry ones self and how to play the game w/both toughness and humility. thank you for the memories DG.

Posted by: gibbshogs | January 29, 2008 9:27 PM

Darrell,

You are what Gibbs really means when he is referring to a "True Redskin." You played for the love of the game for 20 years and it showed with your smile and youthful enthusiasm till the end. There is no one more deserving of the Hall of Fame then you. Thanks for all the great memories!!!

Dave Weiss

Posted by: Dave W | January 29, 2008 9:31 PM

DarrellIf you don't get in - first vote - there is no justice. As a 'skin-4-lifer' since before the Over-the-Hill-Gang - I have to say it has been noticed that only one player from the great Redskin teams you played on has made it to the Hall. Your teammate - Art Monk - who held the record for most receptions in a career - is still not in. And the greatest offensive line in 20 years still doesn't have one player in. The Hogs are still snubbed.

It is this fan's fervent hope that you Darrell, who provided the finest example both on and off the field for so many years, will bring an end to that drought and receive the honor you so richly deserve. Good Luck #28.

-Nick Hofmann

Posted by: Nick Hofmann | January 29, 2008 9:58 PM

Simply The Best!

Darrell! Darrell! Darrell!
I loved hearing all of RFK yell that loud and proud every time you made an amazing play. There were many of them! I enjoyed watching you play for 20 great years with ONE team, the best team, the Washington Redskins! You are the epitome of a class act human being that happened to be an incredible athlete and brought much joy to the whole DC area. I and I am sure many others count ourselves to be incredibly lucky to have been able to watch both you and Cal Ripken play your entire careers with DC area sports. All kids growing up should have such sport stars to watch and try to emulate. One of my prized positions is a big 28 Jersey framed and signed by you. It reminds me to always do things 100% and always be a good human being. I can't wait to plan my trip to Canton to see one of the great ones get enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame.

Thank you for so many awesome years!

DC loves you!

Posted by: James Hammer | January 29, 2008 11:00 PM

Darrell,

It is awesome that this day has finally come. How wonderful would it be for you and Art to go in at the same time? I look forward to going to Canton this year when you are selected as I know you will. I want to say that I was fortunate enough to meet you at your last training camp in Carlisle in 2002. I felt very lucky and wanted to say when you meet someone you idolize they sometime leave you wishing you would have never met them. That was not the case with you. You were one of the classiest people I have ever met and I will always be thankful I had the opportunity to have met you. I look forward to celebrating your induction with all of the other Redskins fans and yourself. Thanks for all of the memories Darrell and with the circumstances of us losing Coach Gibbs, your pending induction into the Hall of Fame is great for all of us.

Posted by: Bryan M. | January 29, 2008 11:24 PM

Darrell, I will be there in Canton this summer to honor you at your Hall of Fame inductee ceremony.

Wouldn't miss it for the world.

Posted by: Barno | January 29, 2008 11:40 PM

Darrell,

You've always been one of my role models and heros. You are a beacon of light in a sea of darkness.

Thank You.

Posted by: Alexander | January 29, 2008 11:45 PM

Mr. Green,

I'm not a Christian, but I've always respected the way that you carried yourself and the dedication you have shown to the community. I know you're religious, but I've never been put off by your expression of your faith. Very few public figures compare to you in public-service accomplishment and selflessness. As humble as you appear to be, you should be proud of that.

You were also a kick-butt football player. You brought me a lot of joy over the years. Thanks.

Legend has it that Micheal Irvin told the following story during a radio interview. Can you confirm it if it's true?

In 1992, Darrell Green severely broke his arm early in the football season, and a rod was surgically implanted in the bone. In December, he came back, and once again, he was to cover WR Michael Irvin. Irvin
gave an interview before the game and said that he planned to hit Green "right on that broken arm, every play, bam bam bam, maybe break it again." The game was a fierce struggle, but the key play in the fourth quarter was Green sticking his broken arm between Irvin's stomach and the ball and popping it loose. Green's team
recovered that fumble and ultimately won the game.

Fast forward to 1996-7 when Irvin is in all kinds of trouble with the law over drugs and his marriage is in trouble due to his fast living. He was followed everywhere by reporters. Out of the blue, he got a call from Darrell Green, who offered to let Irvin stay at his own home until events calmed down. "No reporter would ever think to look for Michael Irvin at Darrell Green's house," he said. And everything changed between them. Irvin and Green became friends because of this gracious offer.

Posted by: mugamack | January 30, 2008 12:10 AM

Mr. Green,

recovered that fumble and ultimately won the game.

Posted by: mugamack | January 30, 2008 12:38 AM

You are a hero and idol of mine. I am praying you get in. Please tell Dan to hire Mooch and that he needs to get his act together cause he is tearing the Redskins apart...Luv ya Darrell.

Steve

Posted by: steve jones | January 30, 2008 1:55 AM

Darrell,

Thank you for being an exemplary role model, on and off the field.

Posted by: uniquepostid25 | January 30, 2008 5:59 AM

Darrell,

Did you ever get to race Bobby Mitchell?

Posted by: etrod | January 30, 2008 7:34 AM

Darryl
I sincerely hope you go in the HOF. You are a true Redskin and played when it meant something to be a Redskin. You were a great president

As much as I would like to attend the HOF ceremonies, I made a vow years ago never to go to visit or support the HOF until they let Art Monk in.

But wish you the best

Posted by: Kathymac | January 30, 2008 7:49 AM

Darrell: It is my prayer that you, Art, and Russ will be selected. Redskin Clyde and Tailgate H Group are in the process of making Canton plans to cheer for you as you are inducted. You are the greatest. Players like you, Art, and Russ makes me so proud to be a devoted Redskins fan.

I am looking forward with great anticipation to your induction.

Posted by: Barbara Offer | January 30, 2008 8:09 AM

The two players I have grown to respect the most in the modern era of the NFL are you, Darrel, and Mr. Art Monk (a fellow nominee). It's a travesty that he has not be ushered through the doors of Canton OH yet, but maybe it was sweet destiny to be ushered in with #28, the true heart and soul of the Redskins Organization. If that is the case,,, you will definately see my smiling face at your induction ceremony later this summer!!!! Good luck Darrel,,,, We love you and the Buss family is definately rooting for you!!!!

Posted by: Aron Buss | January 30, 2008 8:11 AM

Darrell, you were a role model and an inspiration to us all. I could only wish that more football players followed your example both on and off the field. I know you helped make my Sunday afternoons a little bit more exciting especially whenever the ball came into your hands as we never knew what was going to happen. I remember one interception where you must have run about 100 yards back and forth laterally across the field trying to evade the wave of big offensive lineman coming at you and then somehow managed to find a hole and had a big return. I sincerely hope that you get elected into the HOF as you are the epitome of what a good football player is. P.S. Thanks for teaching Smoot everything he knows about playing cornerback in the NFL.

Posted by: | January 30, 2008 8:35 AM

Darell,

I am a Cowboys fan with season tickets to the Redskins. I enjoyed watching you play for 20 years and have a tremendous amount of respect for you as a person and a player. The HOF needs you more than you need them.

Enjoy your blessings,

A football fan

Posted by: | January 30, 2008 8:35 AM

You are Da Man!!

Thanks for all the years of enjoyment you provided me and all Redskins fans with your all out effort every game, every play; as well as your exemplary off the field life.

Good Luck in the HOF!!

Posted by: Ozzie | January 30, 2008 8:40 AM

Have fun out in Phoenix, DG. I'll be watching with al hope that you get you're well deserved induction into the 2008 Pro Football HOF. You deserve it because of your stellar play and making other players better. You were a thrill to watch for 20 seasons and I can't wait till hopefully we can celebrate it all on Saturday

Posted by: Goose | January 30, 2008 8:48 AM

Darrell,
Regardless of what happens this weekend with the HOF induction, you are already the greatest Redskin of all time because of the way you've carried yourself on and off the field. As a short kid growing up in the 80's you were and always will be my favorite player of all time. 28 is the only jersey I own. When my 10 month old son is old enough, I'll make sure he understands what made you the greatest Redskin of all time. Thanks for all the memories and good luck with the vote this weekend.

P.S.
This organization could really use a guy like you now, and I think the fans would be comforted knowing that a true Redskins is guiding our team. Any chance you might come back in some role within the organization?

Posted by: Brian B | January 30, 2008 9:53 AM

Darrell,

You, Art Monk and Russ Grimm are hall of fame players and hall of fame people! Good luck to you three this weekend. I always admired the way you carried yourself on and off the field.

Posted by: Skins Diesel | January 30, 2008 9:57 AM

Hey Darrell. Hopefully you will have some company in getting in (You are a lock). Thanks to you, my familie's summer vacation will be to lovely Canton Ohio. Thanks for your greatness as a Redskin.

Posted by: Jason | January 30, 2008 10:19 AM

Class act on & off the field. Good Luck on your selection.

Posted by: | January 30, 2008 10:39 AM

DG, you're the greatest CB that ever lived.

Sure, there is Deion Sanders and Rod Woodson, but you shut down the opposition's top WR.

You are the greatest shutdown CB of all time. You carried yourself with class and dignity during your NFL years, and continue to do so after your career is over.

You were my role model growing up (in addition to my parents, of course) and there is no doubt that you should in the HOF.

On behalf of everyone, I'll congratulate you in advance on becoming an HOFer.

Hopefully Grimm and Monk will join you too.

Can't wait for your next blog post.

Posted by: vdoggay | January 30, 2008 10:51 AM

Darrell,

See you in Canton. You have been a pillar to this community on and off the field.

Maybe a HOF lane next to DG blvd?

Posted by: Bryan L | January 30, 2008 10:57 AM

I hope your coattails bring with you into the HOF another classy former Redskin in Art Monk.

Posted by: JohnnyU2Berry | January 30, 2008 10:58 AM

Ahh Darell,

Wish you were still playing, although I'm sure you're happy to be retired! I miss watching you man.

I hear there's a head coaching position open with the Redskins....wanna be coach? ;)

I hope you and Art both get into Canton together. Take care and have a blast in Arizona.

- Ray

Posted by: Ray | January 30, 2008 11:06 AM

Darrell,

The greatest redskin! Thanks for all the memories, you will definitely get it! So will Art and Russ.

Still a true redskin fan - even though they are owned by Satan.

Posted by: Frank | January 30, 2008 11:55 AM

2-8,
You are a lock! Whatever you do celebrate this weekend and moment, we'll all be watching proudly. But please, please...if you get in and Art doesn't: Make sure the world knows how unfair this process is!

Enjoy the moment!

Posted by: Ryan | January 30, 2008 12:02 PM

Darrell,

You are definately a hall of famer. If you dont get in trust and believe that in addition to my boycotting the HOF until Art Monk gets in, I will boycott till both of your busts are side by side with all the other legends of the game. Thanks for all you did for the skins the great highlights and shaking my hand as you circled fedex for the last time after your final game.
You are the best!

Posted by: Matt in DC | January 30, 2008 1:01 PM

Your one of the best corners ever. Point blank your a first ballot Hall of Famer.
If God is for you, who can be against you.

Posted by: Tjzukoski | January 30, 2008 1:08 PM

who cares about the hall of fame dg? you were voted as one of the 70 greatest redskins of all time and have a spot on the ring of fame in the stadium. canton, ohio is nothing if football players and human beings the caliber of yourself and art can't get in. im keeping my fingers crossed that justice is served saturday. hail to the redskins.

Posted by: tugboat | January 30, 2008 1:25 PM

Congratulations and good luck Darrell!! We'll all be routing for you and you deservie it!!

Posted by: Skinsdiehard! | January 30, 2008 3:58 PM

I have no doubt that you'll make into the Hall this year. I only hope you will be enshrined with Art Monk. You two were the heart of the team. No one came up bigger on defense than you and Art made more clutch catches than anyone of his era. I'll be working but plan to record NFL networks coverage of the announcment. Best wishes and I'm looking forward to seeing your bust in the HOF.

Posted by: David Jackson | January 30, 2008 4:01 PM

Darrell,

Please bear with me a moment while I GUSH!

I never had the chance to meet you in person and tell you what you meant to me growing up a Redskins fan. I have so many great memories of you. I was often so proud of you that I could have popped a button or two. You were and are so admired by me not just because of your on the field play but also for how you always conduct yourself. I was never so happy when you were named by the fans as "Mr. Redskin". I thought to myself that we got it exactly right :-) Thanks so much for being the role model that you are.

BTW, while I havent had the pleasure to meet you in person, one of those great memories was from your last year. The place was Texas Stadium and my sis and I were the lone Redskins fans in our section behind the Skin's bench. We saw you standing there and started hollering. I thought you wouldnt possible be able to hear us but you did, I think. Anyway you turned around, saw us and winked. We were so tickled, we still havent got over it. haha.

Ok so now that I have blown up your ego, I leave it there. From here on, I'll reply to your posts with a level head. Promise.

So happy to see you blogging. Keep it up.

Posted by: Peggy Rapier | January 31, 2008 9:51 AM

Hey Darrell

As I sit here reading your blog it makes me proud to be your brother. Reading the many warm comments from all these people makes me think about Mom and Dad. It reminds me of their strength,their strong family values,and their love of God. She was an incredible story teller,all the stories she told about her childhood.Those stories help to shape our character. And now you are here telling your story to the world.I can feel her big smile beaming down on you.I think Dad would be proud too. Thanks for being an awesome brother. You are already in our Hall of Fame

Terry

Posted by: Terry Green | February 1, 2008 9:41 PM

CONGRATULATIONS, never know what comes between now and then but i plan on going to ohio to see this.
Also congratulations to Art Monk,well deserved. Thanks for being a Redskin.
Thanks as well to the Dallas fans who were classy in some remarks. I know we as well despite the rivalry respect alot of your past and present players.
WAY TO GO TEN SPEED!!!