Making the Trip -- With Children

Hello all,

It's a travel day for the Green crew! Anyone who has kids that are in their teen years and older, as we do, knows how hard it is to get everyone's schedules to come together at the same time. But this time we got it done, no problem. It shows how special this occasion is to our family.

I feel extremely blessed to have had a career that has impacted our children's lives so much. Most of my buddies' careers were over by the time their kids were entering first or second grade; our kids were almost as old as us by the time I retired -- LOL. Like many of you, they pretty much got to experience it all. I am truly enjoying sharing our excitement about this incredible honor. Win, lose or draw, this is an amazing time for us. We're going to have a ball and we want you to experience it with us!

Sorry, I have to get ready to go! By the time many of you guys sit down for dinner, we'll be soaking in the sun and enjoying the sights and sounds of Super Bowl festivities. More importantly, we'll be one geographical, psychological, and emotional step closer to hearing the big announcement. And that's a good thing! What a nail-biter!

I'll have more for you tomorrow from Arizona. But before I wrap up these thoughts, let me give a quick shout-out to washingtonpost.com for providing this platform. washingtonpost.com is da bomb! Also, I want to thank you for joining me; and please know that each day I read all of your comments.

Because of your overwhelming response and my desire to answer all of your questions, I'm thinking of hosting a live chat on DarrellGreen.com or washingtonpost.com or maybe both. What do you think about that? If you're interested, after the dust clears, we'll set it up.

Don't forget, good or bad, I want to hear your thoughts.

Editors' note: Green's blog also appears at DarrellGreen.com.

By Darrell Green |  January 31, 2008; 10:59 AM ET
Previous: Redskins Coaching Search | Next: Butterflies in the Desert

Comments

Have a great time Darrell! Looking forward to hearing more updates and though it must be inevitable, fingers are crossed for your entrance into the HOF.

Posted by: | January 31, 2008 11:17 AM

Enjoy the Super Bowl; I hope it brings back lots of good memories. I know it always does for me. I can't wait to see you go into the hall of fame. I bet you win the fastest man in the HOF contest.

Posted by: Justin | January 31, 2008 12:02 PM

My brother: Enjoy the experience. This is a true blessing and I know you will hold it down for all the Skins Fans. The future is just starting for you and the family. Make the best of it!

Posted by: Jon L | January 31, 2008 12:13 PM

Good luck Darrell! Have a great time with your family. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you and when you do get into the HOF, I'm going to make a special trip there to specifically see your bronze bust.

Posted by: Nick B. | January 31, 2008 12:24 PM

Darrell,

As a Redskins fan I always want my team to win, but winning isn't everything. It's more important to live our lives (players, fans, coaches) with quiet dignity, and that we live our lives on principle.

I liked your post today, because like the champion you are, it shows how well placed your priorities are, it shows how important your family is.

I pray that the selection committee will recognize all the Redskins players, but in particular you and Art.

Hey, there's no Hall of Fame for people, but from what I can tell you, Art and Joe Gibbs are HOFers for your families and really, what else matters?

Peace and Hail!

Posted by: _Stumped_ | January 31, 2008 12:30 PM

Mr. Green,
Just got word of your bogging on the Post. First thought, thanks a bunch. Second thought, HOF should be a lock for you this year, good luck with the nomination. If it was up to me, your in like flynn. Third thought, Hope all is well with you and your family. Have not read much about you since retiring. I assume the adjustment has been good. Fourth thought, I can't tell you how much I respect you for your time spent as a Redskin. You performed at a very high level for a very long time, this can not be said for many professional athletes. Your actions will never be forgotten in the eyes of this long time redskin fan.

Posted by: Rando | January 31, 2008 12:34 PM

This is such a once-in-a-lifetime event for you and the fam. As I just told JG, we're with you in spirit and will be watching on Saturday!

Posted by: Ms. Fenner | January 31, 2008 12:46 PM

DARRELL GREEN IN THE HOF???? THAT'S A LOCK NO QUESTION.

DARRELL GREEN THE NEXT WASHINGTON REDSKINS HEAD COACH?????????

Posted by: LAZ | January 31, 2008 12:55 PM

Hey Darrell,

I can't wait until Saturday, you are a sho-in. Mr. Redskin, and the best player at your position, come on! Have a great time with the family. Yes i would be totally interested in a live chat on your site.

Again, have fun, we love you!

Posted by: Aaron | January 31, 2008 1:02 PM

Darrell there is no doubt in my mind that you will be voted into the Hall this weekend. My only hope is that Art Monk gets voted in along with you. Thanks so much for the great career and all the great memories.

Posted by: B. | January 31, 2008 1:17 PM

Darrell
You and Art our already in the HOF in our minds. You both have taken what the Lord's given you and you haven't forgotten Him in the process.

God Bless

Posted by: SkinsFan 4 Him | January 31, 2008 1:40 PM

Travel thought. If you fly DARRELL GREEN AIRLINES, you get there really really really fast ...

Posted by: AL | January 31, 2008 2:16 PM

Good luck, although I don't think you have too much worry about. Thanks for being Mr. Redskin and an ambassador for what is right with pro athletes and pro sports. To this day, my mom who is 65 only wears a DG "28" Redskins jersey and that is saying something. It is a testament to how you treat people and the way you live your life in the spotlight. I only wish you were still playing so my son could see what it means to be a true "pro".

Posted by: CT | January 31, 2008 2:24 PM

D. Green!
Washingtonpost.com IS da bomb!

I want you to know that you will always be one of the most beloved figures to have ever step foot in D.C. -Sport, Entertainment, Government or otherwise. You represent so much of what is good in people and I wish more of our athletes and celebrities would learn a lesson or two from you.
I grew up watching you in the prime of your career and now I look forward to congratulating you on your HOF induction in a few days!

Who woulda thought I could send #28 a msg through an online newspaper "blog" 5 years into your retirement?? Crazy world we live in!

Posted by: John C | January 31, 2008 2:40 PM

Good Luck to you Darrell and your family. Thanks for all of the memories you brought us. Hope to see you and Art inducted.

Live Chat would be great

Posted by: Arico | January 31, 2008 2:45 PM

Good luck Darrell, though you probably won't need it. I hope all of the 'Skins finalists get in but since you're a first timer I'm sure you're excited! When the announcement is made my #28 jersey will become a HOF's jersey!! Hail to the 'Skins!!

Posted by: SkinsFanSC | January 31, 2008 3:11 PM

Darrell - Good luck on Saturday! I hope Art joins you as well. You are both deserving for being the best at your position, winning, and doing it with class.

Posted by: LonghornGK | January 31, 2008 4:09 PM

Darrell,
Thanks for the great memories!In my mind you and Art and the hogs and the smurfs are all in my hall of fame!I wish those Joe Gibbs teams would have lasted forever!I miss knowing we would win lots of games each season!Good luck but you don't need luck YOU EARNED IT!

Posted by: casey | January 31, 2008 6:51 PM

Good luck Darrell! I know you will make it and you will always be a Hall of Famer in the hearts of Redskins Fans!

Thanks for giving us 20 years (and beyond) of joy :)

Posted by: Lisa_R | January 31, 2008 11:52 PM

DG,
You started with the Redskins just before I was born, and left them when I was 19. Thanks for all the memories and best of luck at the ceremony.

Posted by: Doug in SG | January 31, 2008 11:55 PM

So who will present you when you get in?

Posted by: Aaron | February 1, 2008 1:08 AM

Darrell.... If (and when) you get elected into the HALL OF FAME on SATURDAY I'll be wearing your JERSEY on SUNDAY..

Posted by: rando | February 1, 2008 2:02 AM

Posted by: rando | February 1, 2008 02:02 AM

--------
So will I. Good Luck! We're all pulling for you (and Art).

Posted by: suzannepdc | February 1, 2008 9:13 AM

Good luck DG!

Posted by: tony | February 1, 2008 9:46 AM

Please know that I'm praying (along with a lot of others) for your family and yourself. Select or not selected, I've always admired your way of life. While the football accomplishments are fantastic, I think one of the greatest was when you did the commercial for the colonoscopy (sp). From all of us middle aged guys thanks.

Posted by: Bill N. | February 1, 2008 9:59 AM

Darrell,
You were my boyhood hero while growing up and I'll be watching when you get into the HOF. Enjoy all the honors you so richly deserve!

I use to attend Art Monk Football camp growing up. I only wish you two could go in together! I don't know how he became the forgotten Redskin.

Posted by: Rahsaan | February 1, 2008 12:11 PM

Darrell: You belong in Canton and the HOF. Thanks for the great memories and great victories with the Redskins! We'll be ready to celebrate on Saturday with you. Best of luck!

Posted by: Sally W. | February 1, 2008 1:34 PM

Darrel-
I was born in 1982, so while I don't remember your first years, I do know that I have been watching you before I could even remember. Your jersey was the first that I ever owned. You were my favorite player when you played and continue to be my favorite all time Redskin. I wish you the best, and I hope that tomorrow you will find out that you (and hopefully Art Monk and Russ Grimm) are going to Canton. Thanks for the wonderful memories.

Posted by: Amanda K Waldorf, Md | February 1, 2008 4:05 PM

D-
How bout a live video chat that would be freaking awesome

Posted by: alex35332 | February 1, 2008 8:17 PM

Darrell,
You are truly deserving of the HOF induction. I am so happy for you. Thanks for the truly incredible football memories.

Hail to the Redskins!!!