Redskins Coaching Search

Wednesday Morning ...

I'm heading in to my Sterling, Va., office. This morning when I woke up the only thing on my mind was the big announcement. I must confess, for some reason over the last few days I've started to experience a little bit of anxiety about the big question, "To be or not to be a 2008 Pro Football Hall of Fame selectee?" To take my mind off the big announcement -- if you don't mind -- I'm going to write about the Redskins.

First, congratulations are in order to Dan and Tonya Snyder for making the Redskins the richest franchise on the planet. No matter how you look at it they are winners, period.

I've enjoyed watching them pull together their new coaching staff. It reminds me of how Lee Marvin picked his team in the 1967 movie, The Dirty Dozen. In the movie, each man was picked individually and with a specific skill for a specific task to meet the team's goal. Now, if I am right and this is what they are doing, then I applaud it because this way there is no place to hide for anyone. Every coach, just like every player, is in an independent contractor with full accountability to the owner and the owner alone. I think this is a great formula for success as it makes everyone pull their own weight with no relational hiding places as when a head coach hires everyone.

What about this talk about them needing to hire a GM to win big? Hogwash! I don't agree. Everybody knows that football is a game of yards and inches. These guys are very close and, trust me, it won't be a GM that puts them over the top. No! It's going to be the play on the field, not a decision in an office that will put them over the top.

"They can win big without a GM!"

Let me hear your thoughts, good or bad. I just want to hear from you.

Editors' note: Green's blog also appears at DarrellGreen.com.

By Darrell Green |  January 30, 2008; 1:13 PM ET
Previous: Headed to Phoenix | Next: Making the Trip -- With Children

Comments

how are the legs? do you think you could get one more season out of them if we only use you in the nickel?

Posted by: tugboat | January 30, 2008 1:28 PM

DG: You were the face of the Redskins in the old days. With what you had done in the past on the football field, you are a lock to be a NFL HOF electee. Congrats.

As far as coaching search, I was little disapointed to see G. Williams not getting the job. In the way, it seems to me D. Snyder does not respect/trust J. Gibbs by not giving the job to G. Williams and not retaining some position coaches like E. Byner. Most of coaches on J. Gibbs staff are moving on. Now, it seems like it's an extreme make over with all (most) new coaches.

I hope D. Snyder would make the right decision in bringing good coaches. Regardless of who is in charge, go REDSKINS all the way.

Posted by: T-Bone | January 30, 2008 1:32 PM

Darrell,

I would not think to diminish your previous contributions to the Redskins organization on the field. They are well documented, and you deserve praise for your play over your career. Good luck on the Hall of Fame. As a member of the first Joe Gibbs era Redskins, you certainly deserve it.

However, in the 1980's, the organization, Joe Gibbs, and his previous staff had the ability to identify talent in the draft, and turn those individual players into a winning football team and franchise. Maybe as you say, they don't need a GM. But, the current model with Daniel and Vinny at the top has not produced success. You don't build a winning franchise by sending proven Redskin players on their way (Antonio Pierce, oh, and where is he spending next weekend?), because of your mismanagement of the salary cap, and then signing and cutting high dollar free agents that barely produce (Adam Archuletta). That only breeds resentment from other Redskins. Just because Daniel Snyder can make money in business ownership does not mean he knows how to identify talent and run a football team.

SOMETHING HAS TO CHANGE.

Posted by: Stubbs73 | January 30, 2008 2:02 PM

Given the rich legacy of Redskin greats that are still in the area, do you think the organization does enough to take advantage of your (collective) experience and expertise?
If it were my team, I'd have people walking through the hallways with multiple rings (and yellow jackets!) every day.

Posted by: daggar | January 30, 2008 2:07 PM

there's two things greatly missing in this world:

you in a Redskins uniform

and those United Way commercials you used to star in

love you man
thanks for all the great memories
and smiles!

Posted by: thigh master | January 30, 2008 2:08 PM

DG-
Let go of that anxiety my man - they have already started working on your bust in Canton. You did enough on the field to justify the HOF, but the reason I know you will get in is your actions off the field. You are one of the best role models to have ever played the game and I look forward to sharing stories about you with my children and grandchildren. You used the talents and the gifts that God gave you in order to help others in whatever way you could.

As for the coaching / GM thing - we'll just have to agree to disagree!!!

Posted by: Kevin | January 30, 2008 2:17 PM

Couldn't disagree with you more. The players wanted to play for Gregg Williams and you know how valuable it is to have coach that you can believe in. The players are pros, so they will play for anyone. But having trust and confidence in the coaches makes a difference.

So we'll disagree on this, but I still love you!!!

As for nerves on the HOF, don't sweat it. These guys have decided your teammates, Art Monk, Russ Grimm and Joe Jacoby among others, are not yet Hall-worthy. Don't let the voters tell you who you are.

We Skins fans KNOW you are HOF. The guys that played with you and against you, they KNOW. Jerry Rice KNOWS.

No sportswriter can give that to you or take it away. You are HOF in the most important way of all.

Posted by: zcezcest1 | January 30, 2008 2:18 PM

Darrell,

Nothing but love, you were a great Skin and better person.

HOWEVER, I hope you were kidding. We need a GM. The whole coaching thing is a mockery, a travesty and a sham. It's a traveshamockery is what it is.

Posted by: Skinz | January 30, 2008 2:19 PM

Nothing to worry about DG, you are a first ballot Hall of Famer if there ever was one. You deserve HOF on your character alone, besides being the leagues premier CB for many years.

I think the coaching search has gone fine, except they could have handled the PR part of it better. As far a GM goes, we've got one now with a different title. We'll see how he does without Joe Gibbs to lean on. Hoping for the best.........

Posted by: Jason | January 30, 2008 2:20 PM

Has your basketball game improved much since you retired from football? :) I covered you in a game at the GMU fieldhouse back in about 1991. It was nerve racking because I thought I'd end up on the cover of the Post if I committed a foul that caused you to miss any football time.

Thanks for all your great years as a Redskin, good luck to you, Monk, and Grimm for the HOF!

Posted by: PowerBoater69 | January 30, 2008 2:22 PM

DG-
Do tootsie rolls REALLY make you run fast?

Posted by: dave | January 30, 2008 2:23 PM

It's great to see you doing this blog. It gives the fans just a little reminder of the great times when players like you were proud to be true Redskins and the we could all hold our heads up high about the team. Now, it feels like players and coaches just come here to get paid and the fans are abused by ownership just looking to squeeze ever more money out of us.

I'm counting on you and Art Monk getting into the HOF to take my mind off the nonsense that is going on out in Ashburn. Good luck!

Posted by: aa | January 30, 2008 2:24 PM

It doesn't matter (to me) if
they vote you in now (they should) or 20 years from now, you were the best corner to ever play the game and a wonderful role model for everyone. If only there were more like you (and Art) that let their playing do the talking and not their mouth. Hey, be our coach!!! (Don't want to work for Danny huh?) Little joke there. But seriously, your a legend and the epitome of what a Redskin should be.

Posted by: scampbell | January 30, 2008 2:27 PM

I would agree that it's POSSIBLE to win big without a GM. And it is possible to win by hiring coaches in the manner that Snyder/Cerrato have been doing it.

But is it likely? No. I can't think of a single Super Bowl team that won with an unorthodox front office setup. Typically it's the following: a GM hired by the owner or someone the head coach works well with. The head coach is selected by the GM (or occasionally by the owner) who picks his own staff.

Every Super Bowl champion has had tremendous chemistry- whether it's been for just that season or for many years- in order to be successful.

As a lifelong Redskins fan, I was looking forward to the possibility of the chemistry created by Snyder, Gibbs, the coaches, and players in 2007 to carry over into a potentially successful 2008 season. Unless there's a long-term plan I don't know about, it just seems like the 'Skins are spinning their wheels in the mud.

Posted by: Joel | January 30, 2008 2:27 PM

DG - You have to love your odds on Saturday. I can't wait to celebrate! I hope they make an announcement at the GMU v. Madison game....That place will go nuts!

I'm not happy with what happened to G. Williams, that was lame. He should have been the guy. I also think the Danny is screwing up with Ernest Byner, talk about a young coach, with some real potential. If he leaves I hope him great success.

Thanks for the blog.

Hail.

Posted by: WaPoLiveFan16 | January 30, 2008 2:29 PM

how about we name you coach?

Posted by: bsterritt | January 30, 2008 2:30 PM

I have exactly two Redskins' jerseys in my closet: A #28 in the traditional colors and a 70th anniversary #28. You will always be the face of this franchise to me, Darrell, and when one of those wears out, I'll buy another one.

Posted by: Bud Omsman | January 30, 2008 2:32 PM

D,

Excuse me if I'm mistaken, but didn't most
of the Dirty Dozen get killed?

Doesn't bode will for the Skins.

Posted by: Steve | January 30, 2008 2:32 PM

Whatever happens, you are already a HOFer in my book and in the hearts of all true Redskins fans.

Great insight into the coaching issue. While I feel like a little bit of head-scratching is warranted given the unexpected events that have occurred, some fans are getting overly concerned. I have a funny feeling we will all be satisfied with the choices that have been made come next season.

Posted by: Marc | January 30, 2008 2:33 PM

How about.... HEAD COACH of the Washington Redskins.... Darrell Green!!!

Posted by: HooFan | January 30, 2008 2:35 PM

best moment in redskin history.

Posted by: eze | January 30, 2008 2:36 PM

Mr. Green,

I can't wait until the HOF announcement! We all know you're getting in there!

Your comments about the coaching/GM search actually make me feel alot better. I was pretty down after they fired GW. You present things from a player perspective, and that opens it up alot.

Thanks, Mr. Green!!!!

Posted by: JB in VA | January 30, 2008 2:40 PM

Yeah, but if you remember...the dirty dozen kicked serious butt and destroyed the nazi's - aka they won the Super Bowl!

Posted by: KTIntk | January 30, 2008 2:44 PM

DG,

I am a long time skins fan. I remember when I as a child my parents somehow had gotten tickets to a skins game and they were able to let me go to and sit on their lap in good ole RFK stadium. Once JKC stadium opened my family was finally lucky enough to get season tickets, and since then, almost 10 years, with very few exceptions it has not been very exciting. I think your wrong as well. I dont know if the team really needs a GM, but what we need is a coach who has some control How much control is the next coach going to have, if he is not allowed to bring in any of the staff he wants to bring in and he trusts? The core of the coaching staff is staying pretty intact, but I think this is insane. The players wanted Greg Williams, the fans want Greg Williams. But both Vinny and Dan are power hungry egomaniacs who only care about the power they have, and could really care less about anything else. Danny is making fists full of dollars at the expense of the fans. To drag this coach search on as long as he has, is crazy. We will keep out season tickets next year, but the year after that we may give them up. It took 20 years to get them, but if we lose them, how long we will have to wait if we get back on the list? Maybe 5 years. My wife put her name on the list about 6 years ago and she got word that she would be eligible for season tickets this next year. Hopefully by then the team will be good enough to spend the money to go see.

Posted by: Jeff in VA | January 30, 2008 2:45 PM

Nothing but love from here DG. I enjoyed watching you as long as I could. Even in your last couple years, they were all scared to throw your way. Truly amazing. They might as well just make the announcement that you're in now. To deny you would be like denying Elway or Marino. You were the BEST at your position as well as taking on other positions (punt returner) other times. I'll never forget the game-breaking plays you made and I look forward to seeing you and your family overjoyed on Saturday.

Posted by: Ben | January 30, 2008 2:53 PM

thanks eze for that clip. Still brings a warm glow. DG has always been a class guy and should go in the HOF as a punt returner. Just an aside. I met a fellow in NC who is your greatest fan in NC. And get this, he actually looks very much like you. If yu ever need a double...

Posted by: Rollodka | January 30, 2008 2:53 PM

Good Luck DG. I would be shocked if you don't make it. Hopefully there will be one or two of your former teammates joining you, too.

Posted by: AKB | January 30, 2008 2:53 PM

You're a lock for the Hall!

Thanks for the memories, Darrell!

Posted by: BRM | January 30, 2008 2:54 PM

DG,
You ARE a hall of famer! I know you'll get in on your first try.

Posted by: COskins | January 30, 2008 2:55 PM

DG-

How come you don't get into coaching? You would be great! I don't want to take anything away from Steve Jackson but...Steve Jackson?? We need DG on staff

Posted by: Skinz fan | January 30, 2008 2:55 PM

Suit up DG! We know you still got it! Another fave moment was when you shut out Randy Moss in your 40's. Awesome.

thanks for the link eze. Oh what use to be.

Snyder's no Squire that's for sure.

I stopped following the team as intently about halfway through spurrier's tenure. Think it was the time when Ramsey got sacked 3 plays in a row against dallas. What a joke snyder's turned us into. Got back in when gibbs was hired but we're screwed ladies and gents. Nothing going to change until new ownership.

Posted by: tyroneshoelaces | January 30, 2008 2:56 PM

You the man DG, Im pulling for you this saturday at 2:30. How much input will the new coach have on coaching decisions and whats gonna happen with Springs this off season?

Posted by: Colin | January 30, 2008 2:56 PM

Darrell,

Stop worrying! If you look up the phrase "first ballot" in the dictionary, there is a picture of Darrell Green.

Any conversation about the greatest player ever at your position will always include your name. When the greatest receiver ever names you as the greatest defender he faced, it's over.

There's no deliberations to be had on the subject.

I applaud your willingness to engage in unconventional thinking about the coaching search and the GM position.

It sure looks like Vinny is using his position to assemble a staff around a philosophy he knows. But, do we have the players to run that scheme?

Is CP a West Coast back?
Are Moss and Randle El West Coast receivers?
Is Jason Campbell a West Coast QB? Sounds like he was for one year in Auburn.

It's a shame to start over when the offense was just getting off the ground.

Posted by: Austin | January 30, 2008 2:57 PM

Darrell,
You are the man. We all miss those glory years you played in. I agree whole heartedly. We have to have players. No matter coaches or front office. I just hope there is going to be someone in this organization that can identify the talent that we need to be successful.

Posted by: Club 320 | January 30, 2008 2:58 PM

Mr. Green,

Might you add your name to this potential head coach list?

Posted by: D. Green Fan | January 30, 2008 3:05 PM

good post #28

i agree...ive been skeptical of the danny/vinny show and still am however st joe forced their hands by retiring and i think they are taking their time, striving for a level of continuity, putting some well thought through pieces in place and this whole thing is starting to make sense to me...especially if htey hire mooch...

whats your take...who do you want to see be HC based on where we are now? mooch, meeks, fossil or someone else?

im glad u posted this as your points got taken over the Redskins Insider...i just hope it quells some of the hosility toward the organization that is roaring over there...

i guess anything other than a GW hire was unacceptable...

obvoiusly it made the most sense to the fans...but do you know anything as to why they balked on GW? i wanted to see it b/c it made sense...but im warming up to whats going on now as it starts to make sense as well...

and dont sweat it bro...your a shoe in for the hall...just make sure you take #81 with you...

Posted by: deadskin | January 30, 2008 3:07 PM

D-Reezy,

What are your thoughts on Bill Bellichick as the next Redskins head coach? Some rumors have him as Dan Snyder's real target. Would he be a good fit in Washington?

Posted by: The Governor | January 30, 2008 3:10 PM

Congradullations on a spectacular career.
In all the history of the NFL there was l) Never anyone as fast 2) Never anyone more of a TD threat on a punt return.

Darrell, I have somewhere in a cardboard box a photo of you as a young first year player in the parking lot behind my apartment in Bethesda.
You're preparing to race a bright red BB512 Ferrari in a 0-60mph race.
Your down in a crouch, the driver of the Ferrari was in asbestos racing jumpsuit and helmet....
Amazing 23 year old memory of many seasons ago...You were all of about 23 years old.

PS:
The Ferrari lost.

Posted by: W G Reed | January 30, 2008 3:13 PM

Outstanding reference to The Dirty Dozen, one of the greatest movies in the history of history.

But remember, Darrell, the sad fact is that only three came back alive. Let's hope this so-called process (whose rationale is so hidden that it's not understandable) doesn't kill the team.

Posted by: tony katz | January 30, 2008 3:15 PM

DG, you are by far my all time favorite Redskin. I just hope the HOF doesnt treat you the way they have Monk. You guys, along with Gibbs and the Hogs, are what made us so great through the 80's and early 90's. Do all of the fair weather fans annoy you as much as they do me? So many people talking about jumping ship because of the coaching search or saying they stopped being fans a few years back. Really lets you know who the true fans are.

Posted by: akers553 | January 30, 2008 3:17 PM

Hail to the Redskins PreSnyder!

Posted by: 4th | January 30, 2008 3:18 PM

Darrell
I for one feel you're a lock for the hall of fame. There will never be another DG ever. 20 years of playing in the NFL at the CB position and with one team. We will never see that again. You are the classiest guy to ever play the game. God bless you DG.

Posted by: Drumer1972 | January 30, 2008 3:25 PM

Darrell,

Always have loved you, always will. Your optimistic view toward the current coaching carousel is surprising.

Are we sure that Snyder is picking coaches that match his player personnel? I'm specifically referring to Jim Zorn, who I assume is a very good coach, but is also one who runs the West Coast Offense. Based on Jason Campbell's skill set, the West Coast Offense seems to be a terrible fit. I hope Zorn is far more creative than Daniel Snyder when it comes to creating a system to fit the people you have in place.

Posted by: Joe the Fan | January 30, 2008 3:42 PM

No one deserves it more than you.

Thanks for your career and your personal integrity (both have been uncommon examples of excellence).

I bookmarked your blog. Your analysis really helps the Redskins faithful. I'll check in often.

Posted by: _Stumped_ | January 30, 2008 3:42 PM

Coach Green has a nice ring.

Posted by: Alex35332 | January 30, 2008 3:52 PM

D Green, What do you think of Meeks?

Posted by: 4thFloor | January 30, 2008 4:04 PM

Wow, it looks like Snyder has donated a LOT of money to the Darrell Green Foundation.

Posted by: RD | January 30, 2008 4:17 PM

Darrell, I'm confident you'll make the NFL HOF your first time eligible. No doubt about it. I have never loved and admired another player more than you.

Unfortunately, I have to disagree with your positive assessment on Snyder's formula for success. Why on earth should we, as fans & season ticket owners, want to congratulate Mr. Snyder for having the richest franchise on the planet? He's rich and we're still the poor fans that have to put up with with his complete mismanagement of the team. Sorry to be so bitter but since Snyder has owned the team, the enjoyment level of going to the game or watching it on the TV has slipped from a 10 (10 being the best) to a 2. On the positive side, it can't get much worse, it can only go up. Thanks for the memories.

Posted by: SkinsFanSince75 | January 30, 2008 4:44 PM

Darrell, are you on the Skins payroll? A GM isn't important? PLEASE?!! Oh, and thanks for helping run Marty off ... Spurrier was such a huge improvement. At least you and Bruce Smith didn't have to do the Oklahoma drill anymore.

Posted by: Jerry | January 30, 2008 4:59 PM

Darrell, it's great to see a blog from you. You are, hands down, my favorite 'skin. I was lucky enough to be invited on a friend's ticket to RFK games in the 80s and those games were some of the best times of my life.

I've been so proud to see not only the work you did on the field, but the work you've done in the community since. You are a great DC MVP.

Posted by: Nancy | January 30, 2008 5:00 PM

Darrell,

Congrats on the nomination. I truly hope, but expect you will be a first ballot Hall of Fame inductee.

I truly hope Art Monk joins you.

Booking my travel arrangements on Sunday...Canton or Bust!

Posted by: the_squire | January 30, 2008 5:01 PM

Darrell, you are the very definition of what a Hall of Famer is. Whether it happens this year or not (it should) please know that I grew up with you as a Redskin, cried at your retirement, and thought of you as the greatest role model in the entire world. Thank you for all the years and for the forum for the fans to express their feelings.

With the utmost respect,

Danny Rouhier

Posted by: drouhier | January 30, 2008 5:08 PM

I've been waiting to visit Canton until you were inducted. I think my wait is almost over.

Congratulations on what will surely come true for you this weekend. Thank you for making us so proud to be Redskins fans.

Posted by: Dream Out Loud | January 30, 2008 5:34 PM

DG - when you go in this year, I am taking my son. In your last season with the Redskins, I took him to camp specifically to see a man who embodies "work ethic" "teammate" and "gentleman". We never got close to shake your hand, but he was impressed to say the least

Now 11, I take him on another trip to honor you there!

And good to see you on-line!

Posted by: erthdog | January 30, 2008 6:28 PM

I think you need a GM to try and control Snyder. He is acting like Jerry Jones, the ultimate idiot. Darrell, you are a great Redskin, and if you do not get into the HOF, we should investigate it!

Posted by: Tony | January 30, 2008 6:54 PM

The problem with no GM is that the next coach is not likely to have many Darrell Greens on his roster. The Redskins have done a good job of drafting high, but those are the top 10-15 picks. The club has almost nothing to show for rounds 2-4 in the past 5 years. That's where Beathard got the Charles Manns, Russ Grimms, etc. Anyone who thinks Vinny Cerrato is in Beathard's class is kidding themselves. I keep going back to the fact that the FIRST guy that Bill Walsh fired when he returned to the front office in SF in the 1990's was Vinny Cerrato. Now, why was that?

Posted by: Roy Hobbs | January 30, 2008 7:11 PM

I'll always remember your interception return for a TD in '86 when you injured your ribs hurtling a Bear's would-be tackler enroute to the end zone.

Posted by: Carter Boatner | January 30, 2008 8:14 PM

Darrell,

I was 13 years old when I saw you run down Tony Dorsett as a rookie. I was 14 when you turned the game against the Cowboys around with the pick 6 in 1984. I was 17 and at the game when you returned that punt by leaping over a Bear and returning it for a TD against Chicago in the playoffs that won the game and made highlight reels. I was 21 when you returned that int for a TD against Detroit in the '91 Championship game. There were countless memories too much to fill here. One constant, you gave everything you had on Sunday. A complete professional. I was 33 when you retired. 20 Seasons in the NFL at a position where guys come and go and most people rarely last more than 5 years. Thanks for all of the memories but most of all, thanks for being a great role model and thanks for not giving up when your high school coach said you were too small. A true Redskin and one of the last breed to play all of your years in Washington. Best of luck on Saturday and early congratulations. You definitely deserve it.

Posted by: John Parks | January 30, 2008 8:51 PM

Darrell,

You are correct, this team doesn't need a GM. Do you know what it needs? More tootsie rolls!

Posted by: Skins4Life | January 30, 2008 9:31 PM

Love you Darrell, but I disagree about the Redskins being able to win without a real GM.

Just think, if the Redskins didn't have Bobby Beathard, perhaps we would not have been blessed to see D. Green wearing #28 for the Washington Redskins.

I can't help but think about the great players we are missing out on because of the incompetence of our front office/personnel set up.

Posted by: Diesel | January 30, 2008 9:55 PM

Mr. Green,

For us 'old folks' 'Skins fans, we still see you breaking up that pass against Minnesota in the playoff game, or running back that kick, broken ribs and all, against the Bears; 'Mr. Redskin' isn't big enough to describe what you mean to this franchise.

I agree that the play on the field will make a difference, but commitment and leadership from the top down make a difference. I agree that Snyder may WANT to win, but a leader must trust the people he employs to do their jobs, and only step in when they need help.

Jack Kent Cooke/Bobby Bethard/Joe Gibbs did that, and that's why you wear the rings.

Posted by: | January 30, 2008 9:57 PM

Hello darrell

Your opinion is greatly appreciated.I'm extremely dissapointed in the disposition of a majority of the fans.It is clear that most of the opinions are based on hatered for snyder.If it was anyone else, folks would be more patient or at least fair.

I happen to believe that Snyder is becoming a very good owner and that Vinny and Dan make a good team based on trust.So what's wrong with that?

I do understand that it will take success to silence people (fair enough). The problem is that if The skins do win, folks will not reconize Snyder due to the hate factor.That is sad but true.

Posted by: ernest | January 30, 2008 10:31 PM

DG,

First happy 20th anniversary to the 1987 Skins team on the 35 point 2nd Quarter and the route of the Broncos on January 31, 1988. As the highlight of your TD against the Bears posted earlier recalls, without that play and your tough coverage of Darell Nelson on the 4th & Goal in the NFC Championship, we may never have had that great 15 minutes. That playoff run is emblematic of the accomplishments that make you a worth first ballot HOFer. Let's hope the voters recognize how deserved that honor would be.

Posted by: trosenberg | January 31, 2008 6:40 AM

Hey, Darrell. You were in the Hall the night you ran down Tony Dorsett in the opening game of your rookie season. However, I disagree with your comments re: a GM. It was Bobby Beathard who picked you with the 28th pick in the first round, not Joe Gibbs. It was Beathard who selected Gibbs, not Mr. Cooke. A true personnel man should be selecting a head coach and the coach should be allowed to succeed or fail with who he surrounds himself with. As for Mr. Snyer, being the most profitable franchise isn't that tough when you OWN the largest stadium and split the rest of the NFL's proceeds evenly with the other franchises. Few, if any other teams own their stadium. I know as a fan that whenever fans of recent SuperBowl winners gloat, I put them in their place by saying my team is worth more than any other team in the league. Yup, if being a greedy businessman makes you a winner, Dan is a world champion.

Posted by: AS | January 31, 2008 7:38 AM

Darrell,

I was 12 when you ran down Tony Dorsett, and you've been a favorite Redskin ever since.

You are a first round HOF on and off the field. Thanks for the example you've set in your life, and the memories you've given us all.

P.S. Good to see you blogging!

Posted by: Ian | January 31, 2008 7:40 AM

Memorable #28 moments (some already mentioned)

Leaping Cap Boso in 1987 playoffs at Chicago.
Chasing down Tony Dorsett in 1983 opener.
Pick for TD in 1991 Championship game (I was there!).
Pick for TD at Dallas in 1984.
your almost-could-have-been-should-have-been-it's-only-fair-if-you-had-scored reverse punt return in your final game at home v. the Cowboys.
in 1991 at home v. Eagles, your one-handed interception even though the play didn't count.
1987 Championship game, breaking up 4th down pass from Wade Wilson.
1983 your first playoff game v. Rams. You intercept the ball and in what seems like our own 20 yard line you stick your hand in the air and coast the rest of the way to the endzone. 51-7.
Watching you win the fastest-man-in-the-nfl so many years.

the list goes on and on and on...all the way to Canton.

Posted by: Dream Out Loud | January 31, 2008 7:57 AM

NO#28- MR. GREEN! The best on and off the field. I congratulate you. A fantastic role model. More should be like you!!! Good luck and I just know you will make it into the Hall of Fame. I am a die-hard Redskin. As for the Redskin situation-- Williams was well like and respected by the players which is I think very important and makes a big difference in how the team responds. You can bring in the best of the best- HOWEVER- sometimes the JELLO just doesn't jell. You know what I mean? Snyder has does this before with big named players and the plays weren't big. As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it". What does Snyder know? He doesn't play the game. He reminds me of the New York Yankees owner George Steinbrenner(however you spell his name). Money can buy coaches and players but remember the jello.

Posted by: JCfrom KC | January 31, 2008 9:16 AM

Darrell-
What are your thoughts to the lack of consideration Russ Grimm seems to have gotten for the HC position. After bein a strong candidate last year for the Steeler job is there any particular reason he has fallen off the radar? Particularly for his team.

Posted by: Matt | January 31, 2008 9:22 AM

Darrell,
It's great that the Redskins are the most valued franchise in the country and I believe the fans are what make the difference. I also applaud Dan Snyder's success. Unfortunately it has not translated on to the field.
I must disagree with your assessment on the search for our new headcoach. Changing the staff every 2-3 years (sometimes shorter) does not excite me at all. Ask Daniel Snyder if he would change the structure and processees of a company every 2-3 years? I'm no football guru but I believe part of what it takes to be successful on the field is continuity? As you well know the staff (including players)you assemble should represent and reflect the direction and strategy of your business. The current players are built for one system created by Joe Gibbs (with his coordinators) while we have a new system coming in once again managed by someone to be named.

I hold one person accountable for the last 9-10 years. He's made every decision or at least approved every decision for this organization. I hold him responsible for firing of Marty, hiring Spurrier and probably hiring someone that really isn't a Redskin at heart (Mooch or Fassel). Now you're asking us to trust him again. We love ya' but we've done our part. We've spent the money, defended him and his actions and rooted for our beloved Redskins. I will always be a fan but he won't get another dime out of me until he starts treating people with respect (Gregg Williams & Al Saunders) and making a commitment to winnng as much as making a profit.
Looking forward to watching your induction this summer. Hail!!

Posted by: Smiley67 | January 31, 2008 9:48 AM

DG,

You are without a doubt my alltime favorite player!

That said, I think your statement is both shortsighted and potentially damaging to the long-term success of the Redskins.

First of all, I disagree with lauding Dan Snyder for how he runs the team. Long-term success requires consistency. All the recent superbowl winners have had consistency in their coaching staffs and front office. New systems require new types of players, and it can take years to achieve new levels of success after each change. The marty-to-spurrier change shows what happens when you have a new system with players from the old one.

Selecting the coaching staff before the coaches necessarily limits the available head coaches you can hire. Several head coaches will not consider a job unless they can select the people they want to work with and run the schemes they want to run. By moving in reverse the Redskins have eliminated numerous viable candidates from the job, and fewer choices is never a good thing. Any head coach should have the opportunity to choose the people he will work with. Anything less will lead to mistrust or disagreement in how the team should be run. It's a pointless risk.

Finally, the hailing of the success of the "player procurement model" by Dan Snyder shows just how deluded he is. Not only does his system tend to turn over players and prevent the consistency I cited as crucial above, but it fails to maximize the talent on the team overall. The (sort-of) new reality in the NFL is the salary cap. You cannot just pay whatever you want for players. Overpaying for one necessarily limits the total talent on the team. Giving $10 mil signing bonuses to your #2 and #3 wide receivers will necessarily cost you at other positions -- this cannot be debated. It also costs you depth. Successful franchises have figured out that the draft, particularly mid-level picks, are crucial to the value-per-cap-dollar equation. You need young, less-expensive players for depth and to develop the stars of the future. Bringing in a bunch of high-priced free agents each year cannot work. It's just math.

I would hope you would help illuminate these issues and encourage ownership to recognize the importance of a GM who can build an entire organzition. The owner seems adept at business/marketing issues, but winning on the field requires a football person. Until that happens there will be no championships in Ole DC.

Posted by: beat cal | January 31, 2008 11:36 AM

Glad to see you on the blogosphere #28! You were always one of the best players on the field and I'd still put you up to anyone in a foot race. How're them legs feeling? The Skins could use a reliable corner...

Plugged you here --

Good luck this year getting in the Hall of Fame class of '08!

Posted by: Tim | January 31, 2008 11:42 AM

I simply cannot believe you would praise a first calss jerk like Dan Snyder. All he cares about is how much money he can make and that is all he will ever care about. He reminds me of a spoiled little brat who always wants to have his way. No doubt Joe Gibbs was good and fed up with his crap and that's why he left after year 4. The lord is punishing him for his awful behavior- he will have a money making franchise but never a winner. I simply call it "The Snyder Curse". You were a great football player, but I must wonder about your judgement and business sense.

Posted by: Matt | January 31, 2008 6:21 PM

yuishmdb aozpfmehi wyjz qivydsjrb qxnhdbza higbpa lzvopi

Posted by: eahk ftivw | April 16, 2008 11:29 AM

apob gucbh qskwuzrp jxyduvq qkwldism rnatqpl rlqg http://www.sbimfg.olvqu.com

Posted by: xvupyn fhxzpcj | April 16, 2008 11:30 AM

D Green, you are a fake and a sellout for the owner of the redskins..I'am sorry to say this but the way you acted to kids that were dying and not even say hi to them and pass them buy and only sign if you get paid for it is sick and you are a racist for saying that there were too many white kids to even stop by the table, but mann and manly,willams,buts, byner did, your a fake man..you just say what people that get you places want to hear and your not a man of God to do the things you have done, your with the new world order and may you burn in hell..this comes from a skins fan that love you but woke up to the damn truth..go to hell GReen.

Posted by: | May 10, 2008 12:12 AM

hgpok tpuvzgo
http://www.yourhealthforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4463 drug effects more side ultram

Posted by: drug effects more side ultram | May 10, 2008 3:08 PM

hgpok tpuvzgo

Posted by: drug effects more side ultram | May 10, 2008 3:09 PM

Posted by: overdose ultram | May 10, 2008 3:44 PM

zqoiep codthr zshwteu
http://www.yourhealthforum.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=4554 cheap generic ultram

Posted by: cheap generic ultram | May 10, 2008 5:44 PM