Stuck Somewhere Between the Moon and the Heavens

Happy Super Bowl Sunday. I'm lying here at 6:45 a.m. on Super Bowl Sunday, while millions and millions of people from around the world are getting excited as they prepare to witness the New England Patriots try to make NFL history -- and wouldn't you know it, I find myself stuck here in outer space. Please forgive me as this is only a guess, but it looks to me like somewhere between the moon and the heavens: You know, about 900 million galaxies from earth. I'm not really sure.

But anyway, I'm sure you're thinking, "WOW! I wonder how he got up there?!" So, to the best of my knowledge, this is what happened.

You see, yesterday, sometime in the afternoon, I got selected in my first year of eligibility into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. I was at a press conference. I was standing at this podium in this big room. I remember all of my family was there, some members of the Washington Redskins ownership and management were there; hundreds of media professionals and lots of Hall of Fame officials were there. And the last thing I remember was someone saying to me, "Congratulations, Darrell!! You are now and forever more officially a Pro Football Hall of Famer!!" And trust me, I know it sounds sort of out there, but that's all I remember. And now I'm stuck up here. To make it even worse, it looks like I'm going to miss what may well be the greatest NFL Super Bowl game ever. Go figure! LOL!

Okay, well, maybe that's not exactly what happened but it was something like that! You know what I mean!

For real though, folks, it was truly awesome. Before the press conference, we were all in this room with black curtains watching the announcement on the NFL Network. My nerves were at an all-time high and I got a phone
call from my sister in Texas. The first thing she said was, "Darrell, you know Mom and Dad would be so proud of you." I practically hung up the phone at that moment because my emotions were about to explode. And then
a few minutes later, my name was called then they came and whisked us out to the press conference and my memory really does fade after that.

I want to thank all of the Pro Football writers who gave me their votes and thank all of you for loving and supporting me throughout not only my extraordinary career, but also throughout the entire process this week. Your letters, cards, notes, phones calls, emails and texts have been extremely uplifting.

A special thanks to washingtonpost.com and all of the bloggers who have followed and read my blogs and sent comments this week. This is my last Super Bowl blog on washingtonpost.com, but you can keep reading and
blogging on darrrellgreen.com. In the coming weeks, we're going
to host a live online chat and enhance our blog feature.

That's it from here. The Redskins have planned a news conference for Art Monk and me this Tuesday at 5 p.m. So please tune into that. And, last but not least, I'm going against the grain and picking the New York Giants to win.

Again, for me and my family, thank you for your love and support. And as always, tell me your thoughts, good or bad. I want to hear from you.

-- Darrell Green, HOF '08

Editors' notes -- A few key links:
- washingtonpost.com video on Darrell Green's selection to the Hall.
- washingtonpost.com video on Art Monk's selection to the Hall.
- Darrell Green's website.

By Darrell Green |  February 3, 2008; 2:00 PM ET
Previous: Green and Monk Elected to Hall of Fame |

Comments

You're a class act and now a member of the ultimate special class. Congrats on a great career and a better life as a truly real person.

Posted by: steve | February 3, 2008 1:59 PM

You are truly a Hall of Famer, not only in football but also, in LIFE. God Bless You and may we have nore young people follow the path you travelled.

Posted by: Ben | February 3, 2008 3:05 PM

I am sure that you can get Mr. Snyder to TVo the game for you flash.

Posted by: alex35332 | February 3, 2008 3:06 PM

Darrell, congrats! Your on and off the field excellence has truely paid off and all of Redskin Nation stands proud for you and your family!

Posted by: Jerry- Austin TX | February 3, 2008 3:36 PM

Darrell,

A heartfelt congratulations to you and Art for your election into the HOF last year. I grew up watching you both and loved watching you guys play and succeed in being good people in life outside of football. The players of today could take a lot from you both as it relates to how a celebrity/athlete should live their lives.

Posted by: David B - Carson City, NV | February 3, 2008 3:45 PM

Exactly what the man said. Grew up watching you guys and you and Mr. Monk epitomized class off and on the field.

I'm thankful for the opportunity for myself as well as others of my generation to have had such role models of sportsmanship as we crowded playgrounds in the Maryland outdoors.

Congratulations Darrell Green and Art Monk- you are tardy but you have shown up where you should, not too late I hope.

Posted by: Steven Young | February 3, 2008 5:43 PM

Congratulations Darrell. You were my favorite player when I was a little kid, and I'm so glad you finally get to be where you deserve to be! You're a hero to us all, and I feel blessed that I got to watch you - and that I can thank you for giving me someone to look up to. Thank you for being you, and for helping all the children you've helped.

(P.S. I rooted for the Giants as well - and they certainly rose to the occasion! I hope you got to watch the game, it was the most exciting non-Redskins game I've ever watched!)

Posted by: Jessica Lachewitz | February 3, 2008 11:37 PM

Congratulations Mr Green!

All of Redskin Nation celebrates with you and Mr Monk!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#28 & #81 Hall of Fame Baby!!!!!!

Posted by: Josh F | February 4, 2008 8:46 AM

Way to go D! To God be the Glory! I look forward to meeting you - here or in glory! You are the best Redskin - ever!

Posted by: Kate | February 4, 2008 9:29 AM

Congratulations Darrell! W're very proud of you and Art! Well deserved! Hail!!

Posted by: Smiley67 | February 4, 2008 10:05 AM

Congrats Darrell! It was well deserved and it means a lot to the Redskin nation that you and Monk got in. Saturday was truly a great day. See you in Canton!

Posted by: | February 4, 2008 10:23 AM

Congratulations Darrell!!

Good super bowl pick btw :)

Posted by: andrew | February 4, 2008 1:50 PM