Waiting for the Results

Well, the day has finally arrived for all of the voting pro football writers, when they may feel like they did as school children and their teacher would say, "Students, the test is over. Please close your books and put down your pencils."

On this day, February 2, 2008, sometime around 2 or 2:30 p.m. Mountain Time, my 20-year football career will not only have been officially declared as complete by me, but it will have been judged by all. My career will be graded, the results posted and announced to the world-signed, sealed and delivered. Hallelujah!

Truly, in some twisted, weird way -- while fighting off dinosaur-sized butterflies and sleep deprivation over the last 48 hours, and being interviewed by just about every media outlet in the nation -- I must say as I've said many times before, this experience, regardless of the results, has been nothing less than incredible. I have always been one who believed that the ride should be half the fun, regardless of your destination. However, I must admit, this ride has challenged that theory quite a bit. It has been fun, yeah.

A good example of this is right now. It's just about 1:15 a.m. here. All of my family members are sound asleep as I sit here not able to do the same; trying to type on these little keys while ignoring the rumbling in my stomach when, of everyone, I'm the one who most needs sleep.

By the time you read this, you may already know the results. Because of my great appreciation of you, the fans, it has been my great joy to share this once-in-a-lifetime experience with you. Regardless of the outcome, I hope you have enjoyed sharing this experience with me and my family; we certainly have. And, one way or the other, we'll keep living this experience together.

Let the drum roll begin.

Let me hear your thoughts, good or bad. I just want to hear from you.

Editors' note: Green's blog also appears at DarrellGreen.com.

By Darrell Green |  February 2, 2008; 12:45 PM ET
Previous: Butterflies in the Desert | Next: Green and Monk Elected to Hall of Fame

Comments

Good luck, Darrell. As a lifelong Redskins fan who grew up watching you outrun rookies, I'm rooting for you again today.

Posted by: Jake | February 2, 2008 1:05 PM

Good luck Darrell! We are all pulling for you to get into the Hall, a much deserved honor for your great career and hope that you are joined by Art as well.

Posted by: Eric | February 2, 2008 1:12 PM

Wish I would've heard you mention my name more this past week and how I'm deserving for the HOF when you were being interviewed.

Posted by: Poopy_McPoop | February 2, 2008 1:12 PM

DC transplant here in Houston. I hope to get one last autograph from you and Monk in Canton as I did so many times in the parking lot of RFK as a kid. I'm bringing my 5 yr old so he can see what clean living, hard working and faith can bring you. God Bless and my next autograph shall read, Darrell Green HOF 2008! See you in August.

Posted by: | February 2, 2008 2:10 PM

Thanks for sharing your Super Bowl/HOF Election experience with us, DG! See you in Canton!

PS ... do you have any interest in politics? I'm thinking of making you a write-in vote for President!

Posted by: Kristin | February 2, 2008 2:40 PM

We Redskin fans love you Darrell. You are a HOF person just like Art & Russ. Hopefully you all will be HOF football players to good luck & god bless. Its was a joy watching you on sundays.

Posted by: brandon2572lee | February 2, 2008 2:41 PM

Hi Darrell,

You were always class act on and off the field and deserve the HOF as much as anyone ever did. Good luck today (you don't really need it)!

Posted by: Josh | February 2, 2008 2:44 PM

Don't worry Green.

We got your back!

Posted by: 4thFloor | February 2, 2008 4:12 PM

Congratulations!!!!! To you and Art.

Posted by: Mike S from Mclean | February 2, 2008 4:41 PM

DC transplant again! Congrats! You will be signing that autograph Darrell Green HOF 2008! Congrats!

Posted by: Michael Clegg | February 2, 2008 4:47 PM

Good luck to you, Darrell! Whatever the outcome, know that you are valued by both football fans and non-football fans alike. You have been always been a great example of sportsmanship and integrity, and the Lord has used you well. You certainly did have a great career with the Redskins, but you are also valued beyond that career for just being you, by being a great example, and by boldly sharing your faith and the message of hope to others.

Posted by: Kevin | February 2, 2008 4:48 PM

DG:
I'm thrilled to see you and Art Monk get in together. You were a HoF player, and you're a HoF'er as a person. You always exemplified class, toughness, sacrifice, community and leadership and I only hope the current Redskins will look at you as an example of what greatness truly represents. Congratulations, and thanks for so many great memories and moments watching you play.

Hail to the Redskins!

Posted by: Dan D | February 2, 2008 5:15 PM

Congrats, Darrell Green! You really deserved this honor.

Posted by: Becca S. | February 2, 2008 5:15 PM

congrats on being elected to the Football Hall of Fame Darrell, you and Art were truly part of one of the classiest Teams in NFL history.......... HAIL TO THE REDSKINS

Posted by: Robert Allen | February 2, 2008 5:43 PM

Congrats to you and Art!!! Hail to the Redskins! What a great day for the burgundy and gold!

Posted by: Josh Fath | February 2, 2008 7:39 PM

Congratulations to you and Art. I can't think of a better pair to go in together!!!

Posted by: Dave Patterson | February 2, 2008 8:47 PM

CONGRATS ART AND DARRYL

See you in Canton. No two guys deserve it more than you two, we loved watching you at RFK, you were both great players!!

Posted by: Kathy | February 2, 2008 9:25 PM

Congrats to you Darrell! You are a great man and truly deserving of this honor.

Thanks for all the memories........

Posted by: Jason | February 2, 2008 11:17 PM

Congratulations Darrell! You are a hero to all of us. I will be there to celebrate in Canton with you and Art. I believe good things happen to good people and no one is more deserving than you and Art!

Posted by: Bryan M. | February 3, 2008 2:06 AM