District Gun Registration Starts Tomorrow

D.C. police will start the gun registration process at 7 a.m. tomorrow, when it opens an office at police headquarters at 300 Indiana Ave. NW.

It is the start of the 180-day amnesty period in which residents may register handguns they have had illegally, or guns from other states.

An officer from the gun unit will meet the applicant at the door and take temporary possession of the gun to ensure safety at headquarters.

Officers will tag the gun and run ballistics tests before returning it to the owner. Paperwork indicating that registration is in process will be provided.

About 14 days later, after an FBI background check, the gun will be officially registered.

By Marcia Davis  |  July 16, 2008; 7:05 AM ET
Categories:  Gun Ban Case
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gun Legislation Wins Unanimous Vote in D.C. Council
Next: D.C. Council summer recess? Not Quite Yet!

Comments

Will they run "ballistics" while I am waiting there? If not, I'm not giving up my gun. Come and take it from me, dickwads.

Posted by: A P Taylore | July 16, 2008 9:50 AM | Report abuse

I don't need a gun. I am such a bad ass that I can insert the bullets manually.

Posted by: Jonathan Rees | July 16, 2008 1:50 PM | Report abuse

Reason #1 I moved from the DC area - because I can't throw rocks at 1250 fps.

Posted by: MountainCop | July 16, 2008 4:17 PM | Report abuse

Wow the city is going to get sued again! I am writing my congress idiots and tell them I want all funding to DC withheld until they take a basic civics class to understand the constitution.
Imagine this with a ballot:
Here citizen let me take that to insure you filled in the bubble correctly. It will take a couple of weeks and then your vote will count. No it does not infringe on your rights we see that your vote counts!

Posted by: Ron | July 16, 2008 4:29 PM | Report abuse

Good luck with this one! Youu'll pry my guns and my microphone out of my cold dead hands! How else am I gonna cap Russ Paul and his morning show???

Posted by: Donnie Simpson | July 16, 2008 4:31 PM | Report abuse

Donnie, like Biggie Smalls says, "There's gonna be a lot of slow singin', and flower bringin', if my burglar alarm starts ringin'!!! Bang! Bang! Donnie!

Posted by: Russ Paul | July 16, 2008 4:33 PM | Report abuse

Don't make me start rappin' 2-Pac on your ignorant azz Russ Paul. I came to this comments section to do 2 things: drink Cisco and shoot Russ Paul with my unregistered handguns.... and I'm almost out of Cisco!

Posted by: Donnie Simpson | July 16, 2008 4:38 PM | Report abuse

What a bulls**t way to handle this. Who wants to be the guns get "misfiled" after they're collected? This is just a way to get citizens to hand in their weapons.

Posted by: Christina | July 16, 2008 4:42 PM | Report abuse

I object strongly to the article calling this an amnesty period and calling the possession of guns by people illegal. The supreme court has made it clear that the DC government was out of line, not the people possessing guns so I find it rather difficult to call the possession of guns illegal. Furthermore, the registration requirement is brand new so this is hardly an amnesty period. It is, instead, a change over period to allow people to comply with the new requirement that guns in DC be registered.

Posted by: Michael | July 16, 2008 4:43 PM | Report abuse

Now if they could only get the criminals to comply...

Posted by: Mike Hammer | July 16, 2008 4:45 PM | Report abuse

They're going to run a ballistics test and then come knocking at your door when it matches for some unsolved crime. Next they'll start taking DNA to register to vote.

Posted by: Todd Barrera | July 16, 2008 5:22 PM | Report abuse

What an outrage to any and all gun owners. The "writer" of this article should seriously take a look at the definition of the word "perspective". I'm very tired of this lack of perception among those attempting to convey news or opinions.

Just look at the comments, not only do people disagree but we also see this "article" as tantamount to government influenced banter supporting the rape of our constitution.

Posted by: chron | July 16, 2008 5:25 PM | Report abuse

Don't do it!!!! Its unconstitutional! Without our private guns King Georges Redcoats would have won!

The 2nd Amendment
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infinged".

Posted by: John | July 16, 2008 5:56 PM | Report abuse

Ballistics tests? Are you kidding me? What are the police going to do, make a person wait for hours while they do these tests?

Posted by: Kevin | July 16, 2008 6:01 PM | Report abuse

Be sure and wipe all your finger prints off before handing the pistol to the officer. It would be great to have someone on the sidewalk passing out bleach wipes to everyone before walk in the door.

Posted by: oldflyer | July 16, 2008 6:11 PM | Report abuse

This is akin to giving up your free speech rights while the city cops decide whether what you say won't be a danger to society.

Posted by: Grub | July 16, 2008 6:35 PM | Report abuse

Oh, yeah, and one more thing:
I don't need a gun.
I'm so badass I can kill you with a spitball.

Posted by: David Gallinger | July 16, 2008 6:47 PM | Report abuse

These treasonous scum belong in prison, or perhaps an insane asylum. SCOTUS need to stomp on the DC police - repeatedly. You don't need their permission to have a firearm; a registration requirement is UNCONSTITUTIONAL. Next they'll want to start requiring "conversation permits."

If you do go through with this perverse license scheme, be sure to buy a new barrel and slide as soon as possible. Running some steel wool though the barrel might be a good idea, too.

Posted by: AC | July 16, 2008 6:52 PM | Report abuse

The ballistics tests are sinister signs that you are considered a would be criminal because the police are being forced to stop violating the law.

For a couple bucks extra, purchase and change to a different barrel after the tests. Many are replaceable, some by a gunsmith, some are removed during cleaning and you could just re-assemble it with a new one.

Posted by: CT_Yankee | July 16, 2008 6:58 PM | Report abuse

I would never register my firearms with these fascists! You should not either!!

Posted by: wolverine | July 16, 2008 7:11 PM | Report abuse

Should I bring all my guns at once? I have about 23 various handguns, rifles and shotguns. Would they be shooting them that day? I am afraid to leave them with the city employees. My weapons are very expensive and I do not trust these idiots as far as I can spit.

Posted by: DC resident | July 16, 2008 7:24 PM | Report abuse

Ballistics Testing? That's like a waiter taking a bite of your dish and serving it to you.

Posted by: Cory | July 16, 2008 7:31 PM | Report abuse

"Now if they could only get the criminals to comply..."

They couldn't care less about the criminals my friend. They just want your guns. They know darn well that criminals will still have them but they also know that law abiding citizens FAR outnumber the criminals. This means that if they go for the guns owned by law abiding citizens they will take guns from the majority of people.

This isn't about crime at all :), and I think you know that.

They don't differentiate between criminals and law abiding people. They don't care. They don't trust either group. Guns represent a threat to their power and they want that threat removed.

Maybe we should just start registering the Mexicans and Jewish people? That way when we need to we can collect them...

Sorry but I simply MUST draw that comparison. It's absolutely absurd and makes me nervous.

It's my opinion that they are taking this step in order to get sued again. If they do they'll fight it as high up as they need to. I'm sure they would be pleased if this went to the SCOTUS as well and have the scotus rule on whether or not the registration of guns is constitutional or not.

I'm sure we can all understand the consequences of that ruling going either way.

Posted by: Don | July 16, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Velcome comrades to the Peoples Democratic Socialist Republic of Vashington DC. Von't you please let me have your guns and do some tests. Ve'll return....really ve vill...comrade. Now off to the Gulag

Posted by: Richard | July 16, 2008 8:28 PM | Report abuse

Know that you will have traffic jams. Just like most governments, see that you did not think this one through! You are joking, are you not?? YOU CANNOT BE SERIOUS!

Posted by: jwatl | July 16, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

this is fking rediculous. I thought california was bad

Posted by: take it from me a$$! | July 16, 2008 10:21 PM | Report abuse

There is an obvious out here for the city....they can collect all the guns, delay the ballistics testing then close the office.

That is essentially what various state and federal agencies have done in the past. Pass a law that you can only drive while black with a special license, then not staff the desk where you apply for that license, classic liberalism.

Posted by: dubious | July 16, 2008 10:22 PM | Report abuse

I have various old,collectable guns in oblelete calibers that are hard to find ammo for. Where are they going to get ammo? They put the wrong ammo in my blackpowder frame Colt Single Action Army and blow it up and the cop gets hurt. This could get really interesting in a hurry.

Posted by: Ron Trame | July 16, 2008 11:09 PM | Report abuse

Well, after being actively involved in this campaign for some 4 years, it appears that either the government of DC is one of the following;

A: Illiterate
B: Didn't read the SCOTUS decision directed at THEM

C: Doesn't believe the SCOTUS applies to them because of superior legal knowledge

D: Didn't realize that the events that lead to 'Immediate serious harm' and reassembling a firearm, the criminals don't make appointments for a 'legal suitability determination' hearing.

E: They are absolutely insane and need to be replaced as soon as possible.

F: Well, this letter applies to all fo them from the mayor to the thief of police.

E: All of the above.

So, how did you score? Hopefully with a bullseye in the perp's head. My prayers for legal sanity are with you, people!

Mark

Posted by: Mark in Spokane | July 17, 2008 3:09 AM | Report abuse

FTA: "About 14 days later, after an FBI background check, the gun will be officially registered"

um...shouldn't they be using the Federally mandated "Insta-check" system that is...what's the word I'm looking for? Oh, yeah, INSTANT!!!!!

Posted by: Cliff Clavin | July 17, 2008 4:13 AM | Report abuse

( Federal Law 18 U.S.C. 926 (2) (a)) being: No such rule or regulation prescribed after the date of the enactment of the Firearms Owners Protection Act may require that records required to be maintained under this chapter or any portion of the contents of such records, be recorded at or transferred to a facility owned, managed, or controlled by the United States or any State or any political subdivision thereof, nor that any system of registration of firearms, firearms owners, or firearms transactions or disposition be established. Nothing in this section expands or restricts the Secretary's authority to inquire into the disposition of any firearm in the course of a criminal investigation.

I am begining to think that they like lawsuits...

Posted by: Glenn | July 17, 2008 8:33 AM | Report abuse

Sorry I forgot to highlight the line for easy reading.

"nor that any system of registration of firearms, firearms owners, or firearms transactions or disposition be established."

I think the Pennsylvanian State Police and the Governor were sued under this law a few years back. They were keeping records of background checks for "accounting purposes".

Posted by: Glenn again | July 17, 2008 8:38 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: damien hunter | July 17, 2008 8:55 AM | Report abuse

I have to turn in all 40 of them???

Posted by: MrSeatle | July 17, 2008 9:41 AM | Report abuse

Who said our leaders aren't smart?

Posted by: cliff | July 17, 2008 9:43 AM | Report abuse

Warning: I found out that you may only register 1 weapon! I have 23. I will not be registering any of my weapons.

Posted by: DC resident | July 17, 2008 10:08 AM | Report abuse

What say we make DC a carry district? With all the congresspersons intent on destroying the fourth amendment, the Bush torture rendering grab 'em off the streets criminal teams and the other criminals from the lobbying community not to mention the bad guys who murder for fun in DC, the only recourse is to be permitted to be armed at all times. Start with deposing King Adrian because of his kiss off to the supreme court reflected in his latest gun registration dreams. In the schools, teach proper safe gun handling 101 to all school kids 12 and older.

Posted by: cyberman | July 17, 2008 1:19 PM | Report abuse

Drop off two old and busted 22LR's Come back in 3 weeks, Honest officer when I came in here I had two Glock 27's and you lost them, just give me two service pistols and we'll call it even.

Posted by: Greg | July 17, 2008 2:36 PM | Report abuse

What a bunch of S%#T.

Posted by: Jerry | July 17, 2008 4:03 PM | Report abuse

What part of shall not be infringed
doesnt DC get yet-SCOTUS just clarified
the issue and they STII try to gun grab..
Give it up DC you lost and it time to
face the truth.

Posted by: skifool | July 17, 2008 7:00 PM | Report abuse

You knucklehead whiners must not support the 2nd Amendment. It still says "well regulated."

Posted by: NoFear | July 17, 2008 8:18 PM | Report abuse

Gee, I didn't see this one coming:

Posted by: Tannim | July 17, 2008 9:12 PM | Report abuse

This one will not stand up to Constitutional scrutiny. Too bad lawmakers cannot be held criminally liable for enacting unconstitutional laws.

Posted by: Chuck | July 17, 2008 11:06 PM | Report abuse

Dear Retarded Police Chief and Brain-Damaged Mayor:

FOURTEEN DAYS to do a FBI Check that typicallytakes TWO-MINUTES in "AMERICA"?

You folks definitely are the Poster Idiots of the COYNTRY!

I'll bet if your family was in harms way you would thank God a neighbor had a means of coming to your aid and saving YOUR FAMILY from any harm, huh? YES you would THANK GOD - don't even think about LYING (again!).

THAT 'protection circumstance' would be "OK" - but you don't feel "regular citizens" deserve the same protection?

Then again, I'll bet YOU nad the other political prostitutes who support your idiotic beliefs have a means of protection at your corrupt finger-tips! "You're special"? Yea, "special example of a walking FOOL".

Try supporting your fellow D.C. residents and quit swamping them with your idiotic "Rule and Regulation GARBAGE".

LAW ABIDING CITIZENS WILL FOLLOW LEGIT LAWS. YOUR DEFINITION OF "REASONABLE REGULATION LAWS" IS THAT OF A SELF-CENTERED FOOL WHO SIMPLY WANTS TO SHOW OFF "POWER"! THIS IS AMERICA -- THERE IS MORE TO "OUR COUNTRY" (NOT SIMPLY 'YOUR COUNTRY') THAN SMOTHERING THOSE YOU SEEM TO FEEL YOU "RULE" - NOT SIMPLY "GOVERN"!

Posted by: Logical Labiding Citizen | July 18, 2008 11:51 AM | Report abuse

Tannin said, "Gee, I didn't see this one coming: http://muddythoughts.blogspot.com/2008/06/its-heller-va-ruling-and-its-not-what.html"

That's because almost all of the Barney Fife hidden-gun toting vigilante knuckleheads only read the part of 2nd Amendment they liked and ignored "well regulated." For many, the Court's affirmation of gun regulation including bans on concealed carry, is even better than affirming DC's total ban since those are harder to get enacted by local and state legislatures.

Posted by: NoFear | July 18, 2008 4:54 PM | Report abuse

Right on, NoFear. DC's crafty Attorney General read the Court's decision and drafted a great law following the Constitution's "well regulated" requirement and their clear guidance.

Posted by: Citizen J | July 18, 2008 5:09 PM | Report abuse

"Guess what, Citizen? While your firearm was in our custody, it was 'stolen' and used in the commission of a Capital crime--that makes YOU an accessory to Capital Homicide!!""

Posted by: Larry | July 21, 2008 5:50 AM | Report abuse

This is depressing. Now i'm gunna have to grab a shovel and bury...............
whoever comes knockin on my door to take my guns.

Posted by: Dan | July 22, 2008 4:57 PM | Report abuse