Desperately seeking French translator

Looking for a Redskins blog with that certain je ne sais quoi? Hoping to read musings about football and Fourme d'Ambert from someone who knows more about both subjects than I? (I'm not a blue fan.) Didn't get enough Frenchiness from Project Runway's brief foray to Paris? (Later, Vincent; you're so very humble.) Anyhow, go here, now! Run! Sur-le-champ! A Redskins blog in French, by an almost-actual Redskin! Formidable! Fantastique!

When I first saw the site I screamed in my clear-crisis-tone-of-voice, "Does anybody in here speak French." Bear in mind I work in the sports department, where we're lucky to find people who speak English. Luckily, someone who decidedly does not work in the sports department heard my agony and appeared. A British native working in Outlook, where they don't write about gloops or M-M-M-Moss Men or Redskins blogs but about things like Britain's ambassador to Uzbekistan.

Here are some snippets about Le Cochon that will have to do until my dedicated Redskins blog translators begin to volunteer. (Anyone? I'll buy you French cheese, or even wine.)

It's called "Sur la route du Super Bowl! Ma saison NFL aux Redskins de Washington," which you can probably figure out on your own. Almost-actual linebacker Philippe Gardent tells us that "We had some days [in training camp] where we only practiced one time, but on these days we had long video watching seances and even longer muscle building seances [seances de musculation]." He also biffs on the spelling of his two coaches: Jo Gibbs and Greg Williams, which should earn him some extra en haut-en bas. (Does that even make sense? Why did I take Russian?)

Naturally I subscribed to the RSS feed tout de suite, just after I went into Outlook's offices and asked for a French translation of "right away." Oh, how I pine for Gardent's first post about mass-marketed American cheese.

By Dan Steinberg  |  September 7, 2006; 1:39 PM ET
Categories:  Redskins
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: M-M-M-Moss Man
Next: What You Need to Know, Thursday Afternoon

Comments

I can't believe it took you this long to work cheese into this!

Posted by: Kim | September 7, 2006 2:18 PM | Report abuse

In honor of this find, you should add "Je Ne Regrette Nien" to the music poll. Bonus points if you can get Clinton Portis to dress as Edith Piaf for a press conference this fall.

Posted by: DevilGrad | September 7, 2006 2:26 PM | Report abuse

And I'd love to see the video of Dan explaining to Portis who/what Edith Piaf is/was.

Posted by: Kim | September 7, 2006 2:58 PM | Report abuse

www.babblefish.com

Posted by: jhorstma | September 7, 2006 3:08 PM | Report abuse

Oh stewardess, I speak jive.

Trust me, this thing would be a lot more interesting if you were French and you didn't already get 24-hour coverage of every aspect of the lives of NFL players and aspirants.

This guy is unbelievably earnest, and very intelligent, but you're not going to get any hilarious quotes. It's interesting if you want to read about what it's like trying to make the team, but not funny, not even unintentionally. (I assume funny is what you're after?)

You've already found the good parts, which are the misspellings of names. Here's another good one: "Rendezvous Thursday night against Steeve MC Nair, Jamal Lewis and Ray Lewis..."

Posted by: District Selectman | September 8, 2006 11:57 AM | Report abuse

Whoa, I didn't see that artisinal cheese and craft beer post before I commented. I'll translate that whole blog for you if you want to hook up the wine and cheese.

Posted by: District Selectman | September 8, 2006 12:02 PM | Report abuse

I can't believe it took you this long to work in a Project Runway reference.

Why does Vincent always say that things "get him off"? It really skeeves me out.

Posted by: Phil | September 8, 2006 12:03 PM | Report abuse