Notes From RFK While Waiting for Ovechkin
1) Something the Redskins probably don't have to deal with: at this morning's D.C. United training session, an unruly gent wandered out onto the playing field. "Any of you white [bleeps] got a cigarette?" he asked. "[Bleep] you, you white [bleeps]," he said. "Any of you white boys want to try me one-on-one? Any of you?"
There were no takers. Assistant coach Tom Soehn told the guy he was on private property. Eventually he left.
2) Spotted: Freddy Adu wandering around RFK carrying a Ryan Zimmerman bat. "That's my boy," he said.
3) Spotted: Cristian Guzman being given a ride on a golf cart through the lower bowels. Not surprisingly, they didn't hit anything.
4) Did something happen involving T.O. today?
(Here's the police report. For the commenters below who were actually criticizing the man, settle down for a second. I don't actually have opinions about many things, but one of them is that you might not want to criticize or make fun of people who are ill. Read this. And yes, I still say the TV coverage is absurd, and yes, I have the guy on one of my fantasy football teams.)
5) Spotted: United defender Bobby Boswell parading around RFK wearing a John Deere trucker hat, to the delight of his teammates. He apparently wore the hat to dinner last night.
"Some girl actually asked me at dinner if I owned a tractor," he said. "I told her yes. I was just kidding, I thought she was making fun of me. She said 'So does my dad, what kind do you have?" I was like, 'I was just kidding, I don't actually have a tractor,' and she's like 'oh, you're rude.'"
6) United forward and fantasy football commissioner Alecko Eskandarian
(more on that later) recently saw a sneak preview of the Borat movie. He'd like you to know that it ranks up there with "Wedding Crashers" and "Dumb and Dumber" in humor value. Also, that there's a scene in which one of Borat's friends speaks in Armenian, and the subtitles are inaccurate. So be warned.
7) United midfielder Ben Olsen, like me, watches "Project Runway." Last night he watched a repeat of the black-and-white episode. More from Ben:
"I'll tell you, here are two things I'm going to tell people reading your blog to do. One, go to the Smithsonian Portrait Gallery. Upstairs there's a portrait competition. Beautiful stuff, right? Ok? I'm dead serious. And go see a movie called 'Half Nelson.' Put it in the blog. It's about a teacher caught smoking crack by a student; he's a white guy in an inner city school. E Street Cinema. And 'Little Miss Sunshine;' I mean, one of the best movies I've seen in years. I thoroughly enjoyed it from the first second to the end; it was one of the best movies I've seen in several years. I can't remember the last time I went to a movie theater and enjoyed the experience as much as I did with 'Little Miss Sunshine.' But if you want a little bit more....'Half Nelson''s pretty real, very graphic, kind of like 'The Wire.'"
8) United defender Bobby Boswell would like you to go eat at Filomena in Georgetown. ("Almost like that guy Filomeno," he said, referring to departed United forward Lucio Filomeno. Boswell's attempt to give Sietsema a run for his money:
"Great ambience. Don't put me saying big words like that, I don't want my readers thinking I'm intelligent. My readers, that's right. Ok, Filomena, make sure you're hungry, or you can go and get a meal for two days, you can eat that night and save it for tomorrow. I like the ravioli and some kind of penne pasta. The appetizers are amazing; appetizers are 'whoooo.' I've had 'em all, I did actually have 'em all at one sitting. The first time we went, he brought every appetizer, one of each. It was me, Alecko [Eskandarian] and Devon [McTavish]; we all tried every appetizer on the menu. Ben Olsen ventures there a lot, Alecko goes there a lot, I go when I can."
"Good for a date?" I asked.
"I don't date," he said.
"Married?" I asked.
"Married to being single," he said.
The comments to this entry are closed.