Marion Barry on Gilbert's Party

Well, since Ward 8 Council member Marion Barry was at this morning's D.C. United ownership press conference, where he was lavishly praised, I figured I might as well start asking him about Gil's birthday bash. No one else was.

"I had a ball," the former mayor said. "I had a BALL. It was just fabulous. I mean, to be at Love, the atmosphere was good, the music was good, the drink was good, had beautiful women there...."

Sounds just like the inaugural party. Then I asked about Gilbert.

"I mean, we have a superstar at last," Barry said. "You know, should have had a superstar some time back. We haven't had one in a long time. And they've been winning. They lost the other night. They shouldn't have. Can't win everything."

This was the inaugural. Not as good as Gil's party. (By Linda Davidson -- The Washington Post)

When, I inquired, was the last time "we" had a superstar?

"You know what, I can't remember," Barry said. "I hate to say Elvin Hayes and back in those days...Wes Unseld and Elvin Hayes, I think. That era."

"And [Gilbert]'s as good off the court as on the court," he continued. "That's important. Don't act crazy off the court and do well on the court. That's not good for anybody, particularly the black athletes. The black young people need as many positive images as they can get, and he does that. Big Oh. Zero."

(I tried to get his thoughts on Agent Zero, but he didn't seem familiar with the nickname. "You hear a few things," he said.)

Anyhow, before he left, I asked how Gil's Birthday Bash compared to other parties he's been to in recent months.

"One of the better ones," he said. "Better than the inaugural."

Really? I said.

"In terms of just everybody getting down," Barry confirmed.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 8, 2007; 2:37 PM ET
Categories:  D.C. United , Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: The Breaking News to End All Breaking News
Next: On the Barra and the Eagles and the Caps

Comments

So Michael Jordan wasn't a superstar? Or was Marion Barry incarcerated during his tenure here?

Posted by: FS | January 8, 2007 2:53 PM | Report abuse

What a joke of a man.

Posted by: Boyohboyohboy | January 8, 2007 3:09 PM | Report abuse

FS,

I can't believe you didn't jump at the opportunity to discredit Barry for not giving Jagr his proper due as a superstar. You've lost a step.

Posted by: bryc3 | January 8, 2007 3:16 PM | Report abuse

Jagr was a primadonna, not a superstar. He was too busy "dying alive" to be able to do any type of public work.

And to someone like Barry, "ice" has a completely different meaning than a surface on which hockey is played.

I would say Ovechkin is already a far bigger superstar than Jagr ever was in DC.

Posted by: FS | January 8, 2007 3:40 PM | Report abuse

Actually, I was just hoping to give you a chance for another trite Barry cheapshot. Thanks for obliging. And pat yourself on the back, cause that one was hysterical.

Posted by: bryc3 | January 8, 2007 4:16 PM | Report abuse

The mayor was having a ball at Gil's party. I have the picture to prove it:

Posted by: Jamie Mottram | January 8, 2007 4:20 PM | Report abuse

Hey Dan,

Is Marion Berry as coked up, I MEAN ETHUSIASTIC, in person as he seems to be on television?

Posted by: Ian | January 8, 2007 5:13 PM | Report abuse

Yeah, Marion had a ball allright. An eight ball.

Posted by: Rack D.C. United! | January 8, 2007 10:04 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | January 9, 2007 11:27 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Anonymous | January 9, 2007 11:30 AM | Report abuse

Gilbert actually told his guest to get drunk and make bad decisions. I guess that was suppose to be a joke. But some people there didn't see the humor in it. He's not a role model for making that statement.

Posted by: Anonymous | January 9, 2007 11:41 AM | Report abuse

Hey Jacka$$, whatever your name is that thinks you deserve so much attention here, I was not there, but if Gilbert said something along those lines I'm sure it was in jest. Guess you have never said something stupid before or tried to make a joke that fell short of it's target. Really, your ridiculous for making such a big deal out of it. Get a life! Gilbert is a star and a better role model than 99% of the athletes out there.

Posted by: Rob P | January 9, 2007 1:37 PM | Report abuse