Paper Bag Head at Caps Game

So I was peacefully watching last night's Caps game with former DCU goalkeep Nick Rimando and wife Jacqui, who were there with United MF Clyde Simms and friend, when I noticed a guy in a Flyers jersey sitting directly behind one goal, with a paper bag directly over his head.

Official Caps Beat Writer Tarik El-Bashir had actually promised me some Flyers Paper Bag Heads earlier in the day, so I was most-pleased by this sighting. And so naturally I went over to talk to Mr. Paper Bag Head, who turned out to be 17-year-old Fairfax High senior Zack Angeline, who turned out to be a Caps fan!!! An imposter!!! Are Imposter Paper Bag Heads, who are actually home fans in road jerseys taunting opposing bottom-dwellers, a big thing? I love it. You get to wear a paper bag on your head, and you get to humiliate the opposing team, and all it costs you is the price of an opposing team jersey. Plus the cost of a paper bag.

The bag in question turned out to be from Hollister, which Zack informed me--in a tone often reserved for one's greatgrandparents--is a clothing chain for teenagers. One side of the bag said "Last Place Game Face...." The other side said "Will Trade Whole Team 4 Ovechkin."

Zack Angeline, in game face. (By Sports Bog)

Zack, as it turns out, has about 10 jerseys of non-Caps players, even though the Caps are his favorite team. He has some weird thing about loving players as much as teams. "No one understands my concept of The Player," he said, although I'd beg to disagree.

Anyhow, The Player in question for the Flyers is Joni Pitkanen (???), so Zack busted out his Pitkanen jersey for last night's game, but then he found out Pitkanen had the flu and would not be on the ice. And then....inspiration hit.

"I was like, 'They're in last place, might as well put a bag on my head,'" Zack told me. "I was like, 'They suck, why not?'"

So when they roll up downtown, Zack and his friends get out of their car and head to the arena with Bag in place, and everyone points and stares and laughs, and at least 20 people ask him to pose for pictures, and several Philly fans come up to commiserate with a Caps fan in disguise! One Philly fan advised Zack to forget about the Flyers and concentrate on the Eagles. Zack isn't an Eagles fan, but he knows how to make friends.

"I was like, 'Ok, go Eagles! E-A-G-L-E-S!!!" Zack said.

Then they got down to their seats, and Zack became convinced the Flyers noticed him. I mean, he was in the front row, and all. He described the look they gave him as "You've got to be kidding me. This is a joke."

Sitting next to Zack was family friend (and loyal Bog reader!) Preston Calvert. I asked whether he was embarrassed by spending the night next to Zack.

"Most nights, yes," Preston said. "This night, certainly not."

Turns out Zack has done more potentially harmful things in the past. Preston and Zack and Zack's dad went to a Flyers game in Philly, and they sat right next to the Flyers bench, and when Ben Eager declined a chance to fight Donald Brashear, Zack chose to scream "Drop the gloves, you [bad word]." Eager heard him.

"He stood up and gave me a death stare," Zack said.

"You know I wasn't going to save you, Zack, no way," Preston said.

"I thought we were dead," Zack said.

Point being, I wondered whether Zack would take to dressing up as Paper Bag Head for future opponents, just to crush their fighting spirit, and he said he would indeed. After all, one of his 10 non-Caps jerseys is of Sergei Gonchar, from when he was with the Bruins.

"Boston's in last place, too," Zack pointed out.

By Dan Steinberg  |  January 10, 2007; 1:11 PM ET
Categories:  Caps
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Gil is No. 8
Next: A New Pre-Game Diversion

Comments

The Knicks are coming to town a week from today. If Zack is in high school, he's probably about Nate Robinson's size. I say go for it.

Posted by: bryc3 | January 10, 2007 1:55 PM | Report abuse

I always wondered what was up with all these kids wearing shirts that say Hollister. Thanks for clearing that up...

Posted by: mike h | January 10, 2007 2:00 PM | Report abuse

Kids that wear Hollister shirts in an effort to look California-cool have clearly never been to Hollister, California.

The place makes Farmville, Virginia look cosmopolitan.

Posted by: Caniac in DC | January 10, 2007 2:22 PM | Report abuse

Ha! I saw the guy (and the photo online) but it's great to get the inside scoop. Love the story about him taunting Eager too.

Posted by: OrderedChaos | January 10, 2007 2:38 PM | Report abuse

FYI,Zach usually wears the other team's jersey.

Posted by: toolboy | January 10, 2007 2:57 PM | Report abuse

Must be nice to be in high school and be able to afford front row seats, not to mention 10 NHL jerseys at about, what, $150 a pop?

I hope the rest of his high school finds out that he "spends the night next to" his buddy "most nights".

Posted by: caps_fan | January 10, 2007 3:01 PM | Report abuse

I saw him from the club level during the game. I was using my free winter hat from Geico to cover my eyes most of the game. I almost wanted to heave into it by the 3rd. I knew they were bad, but in person, it made me nauseous.

Posted by: FlyersInDC | January 10, 2007 3:28 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: FlyersInDC | January 10, 2007 3:29 PM | Report abuse

The front of section 105 contains some of my favorite people in the building!

Gotta admit, I was initially completely confounded with Zack's hockey wardrobe selection, but hey, I know he's rooting for the Caps, so it's all good.

Posted by: Goat | January 10, 2007 3:33 PM | Report abuse

joni pitkanen is pretty much the only guy on that team worth anything, in my opinion. one of my pipe dreams is having him play with the caps...man that would be awesome.

Posted by: sonia | January 10, 2007 3:39 PM | Report abuse

I figured there was somthing odd about someone in the opponent's jersey, and the Flyers no less, walking around the concourse with a guy in a Caps jersey. I wonder if any of those people who comiserated with him know of the Bog. They got punked.

Posted by: EricS | January 10, 2007 3:41 PM | Report abuse

Posted by: EricS | January 10, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

At the first game against Ottawa a few months ago I was seated next to two fans in Ottawa jerseys and paper bag heads (they actually were Senators fans, though). We were right across from the players' benches, too, so they must have seen it - I wonder how they react to things like that.

There's something you could ask them, Dan!

Posted by: CapsChick | January 10, 2007 5:24 PM | Report abuse