Defend the Cassell

Since I've poked fun at Virginia students in this space for their lame cheer sheets, I guess I have to post this video. It's from the Hollerin' Hokies, and it's apparently quite old, although it's definitely never been posted on the Bog before, so I say it's fair game. Especially because it involves current Hokie Coleman Collins, making a strong bid for Worst Dramatic Performance by a Division I Basketball Player, Like, Ever. (Note: Googling Coleman Collins yields the following story about the Iraq war. Which makes me think....Coleman Collins.....Slam Dunk.....Interesting.)

Anyhow, since I'm unable to resist the siren call of the easy punch line, let me point out that if the white kid really wanted to win the HORSE game, clearly he should have just gone with a layup.

(Sorry sitruc)

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 20, 2007; 3:28 PM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Boxers Promote Fight, Possibly Eat at Sbarro
Next: Are You There Sam? It's Me, Blogger

Comments

i'm very sad that i have seen this... so very sad

(but hell, every type of media promo/commercial coming from us looks like something made up from my 6th grade elementary A/V class)

Posted by: hmmmmm | February 20, 2007 5:02 PM | Report abuse

as a current student...i'm a little ashamed. that was just plain ridiculous. I would say it's about 3-4 years old. The Hollerin Hokies no longer are an active organization- there are no cheer sheets or mass coordination. They still get great seats though- I was lucky enough to get hooked up in that aspect.

Anyway- go on and laugh hoos/rest of the world. Good dirt on us Steinberg.

Posted by: hokiestudent | February 20, 2007 5:10 PM | Report abuse

That hurt bogman. I always have time for the Bog, but I don't always have time for Hoos and their cheer sheets. As has been said, the Hollerin' Hokies are no more. I'm fine with that being the best dirt you can get on us Hokies. Considering what Coleman has been through over the past year, I'm glad he was even in the position he was for the GW game and was able to gain from it(and then later disappear again...).
I'm not going to try and run a guilt trip on you, but Coleman Collins has seen significant time on the court in Blacksburg. Coleman turned 17 the summer he arrived at Virginia Tech and graduated in three years. Coleman is a player people around the Big East and later the ACC noticed as a potential standout and shutdown player. Towards the end of the 8-8 inaugural season in the ACC, his father was diagnosed with lung cancer. During the 2005-2006 season, his father's condition worsened. Coleman made trips to be with his father and missed games. Everybody understood. Many of the players were experiencing new burdens: Hurricane Katrina, injury, sickness, and death. Just the year before, Coach Greenberg had lost his father to cancer. A little over a year ago, Coleman Collins' father passed away. The community, fans, and the student body have supported the team as they have represented Virgina Tech.

Last year was a struggle. This year was an unknown. Early games showed it could be a repeat of last year. Instead, the team has grown together stronger and fought to overcome shortcomings. It's still hard for them all to have a good day, but we all know they will have good days ahead.

It's easy for this Hokie to defend the Cassell. Cassell Coliseum isn't a soulless building made for media, sponsors, and donors. It's an arena for family. After returning home from one of the games over the winter break, I watched my own recording of the game. The announcers mentioned the makeup of the crowd and how it was different from most games. There were more families and locals since the students were on break. True Hokies knew it was the same family that has been at every game.

Posted by: sitruc | February 21, 2007 12:32 AM | Report abuse

What exactly does Coleman Collins' father dying or Hurricane Katrina have to do with the video? What an odd rambling diatribe.

Posted by: Cynic | February 21, 2007 8:36 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: Cynic | February 21, 2007 8:37 AM | Report abuse

The kid's got to work on his inside game. I laughed at this, until I thought about cancer and Hurricane Katrina. Then I stopped laughing. Then I though of overly defensive Tech people without senses of humor, and I went back to laughing.

Posted by: mike | February 21, 2007 9:08 AM | Report abuse

Posted by: mike | February 21, 2007 9:10 AM | Report abuse

Silly Gobblers.

Posted by: Vincent | February 21, 2007 9:22 AM | Report abuse

Then, the server made me double post.

Posted by: mike | February 21, 2007 10:10 AM | Report abuse

If you're talking about him and not the video, my mission is accomplished.

Posted by: sitruc | February 21, 2007 10:47 AM | Report abuse

I think I liked the McDonald's commercial better...

Posted by: Shawn | February 21, 2007 4:02 PM | Report abuse

Cassell defended tonight. Tech played defense tonight, Dudley(still wouldn't mind having him on Tech). UVA loses to Miami 68-60.
Vamos United!