Georgetown. Maryland. American.

Seriously, everyone should be happy this morning, every single one of you malcontents. All your teams are winning. The top seven teams in our Local Hoops Atlantic 11 Spectacular went a combined 13-1 last week. And that's not including unranked American, which has now won four straight and gets a home game with Colgate in the opening round of the Patriot League tourney Wednesday night. When the two teams played at Bender in January, you'll recall, AU won by 22. Plus, don't forget that AU big man Brayden Billbe used to write sports columns for himself, including a five-page opus on Felix Hernandez. Dude needs a blog.

Anyhow, more to the point, Maryland. It was a great win. I still say a program five years removed from a national championship shouldn't be storming the court for beating the country's fifth-ranked team, but hey, maybe it was the snow. And the war against court-storming is not exactly original, so I'll back off. The other two things that struck me: like the TV guys said, if Bobby Frasor hits that layup to put UNC up 12 late in the second half, who knows? And was D.J. Strawberry paying homage to DeShawn Stevenson when we waved his hand in front of his face after hitting the three a few moments later? And Duke students, setting fires?

(Um, "best" newspaper description: "Leave it to a pack of turtles to catch the front-running rabbit from behind." Yikes.)

The players were typically restrained in victory, with James Gist saying the Terps are on the road to the Final Four. The Washington Times game story used the words "validation," "torrid," "joyous," "scintillating," "sizzling," and, oh yes, "signature victory." The student paper went with "unfettered joy," "emotional," "improbable," "incredible," and oh yes, "signature win." The most important stat seemed to be Maryland's rebounding edge, which is why Roy was talking about how Maryland "just kicked us as hard as you could be kicked." That's also presumably why former Postie and Bog friend Mark Schlabach, covering the game for ESPN, saw it as some sort of barometer of Maryland's toughness and UNC's lack of the same. Sure, I guess, but what happens if Wright hits two free throws with 3.5 seconds left? Still a great result for Maryland, but I wouldn't give up on Carolina because a freshman misses a free throw on the road. Although the Tar Heels certainly killed themselves for the same thing, so maybe they're all right and I'm wrong. Bog friend Rick Maese, meanwhile, hints that Maryland could ride this wave of confidence pretty darn far, which, sure, I guess they could, but couldn't you also ask how much momentum helped UNC Wilmington last year (won 13 of 14 heading into NCAA tournament, only loss in that stretch came at George Mason, then lost first NCAA game)? And Bog patriarch Mike Wise talks about Gary Williams's serenity and calls Greivis Vasquez "the Latin John Starks."

Also, top Terp recruit Jai Lucas, not to be confused with Jai Lewis, says Maryland's freshman backcourt duo is actually a selling point, although what else is he going to say, really?

As for Georgetown, I'll have a Georgetown post later on, but the Hoyas are getting national play, with the Syracuse paper saying they might be the hottest team in the country and Bog friend Yoni Cohen starting his story thus: "Georgetown is more than capable of winning the national championship." Here's my Final Four picks: Georgetown, Maryland, Virginia Tech, American.

Also, Bog friend Mark Schlabach quotes Jeff Green quoting the Adidas ad campaign: It Takes Five. So we have Hoyas imitating Gilbert, and Hoyas quoting Gilbert's ad campaign, and Terps imitating DeShawn (I think). So I managed to turn this into a Wizards entry, anyhow.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 26, 2007; 9:35 AM ET
Categories:  College Basketball
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: We Are The Redskins
Next: Tim Russert: Worse Actor Than Jared Dudley?

Comments

Not enough Wizards.
Just kidding.

That was a very detailed, insightful, and simply put, good entry...everyone is happy this morning and it's nice to see all (most) of the local teams on a roll right now.

Posted by: AV | February 26, 2007 9:45 AM | Report abuse

It was really a half-hearted court storming by the looks of it, which kind of makes it lamer in a sense. Oh well, it was a thrilling game and the students wanted to have a little fun by jumping around the court. I don't think it's a sign of the apocalypse.

Posted by: Kev | February 26, 2007 9:55 AM | Report abuse

The latin John Starks? Mike Wise is the man, but that might be a stretch. That's like calling Etan Thomas the white David Lee.

Posted by: Ian | February 26, 2007 10:21 AM | Report abuse

Brayden Blogbe? I'd read it.

Posted by: EMS | February 26, 2007 10:29 AM | Report abuse

Watching on television, the court rushing did look awkward. It was an emotional game so I excused the court rushing. The strangest part was when they came back from commercial and everybody was gone.

Posted by: sitruc | February 26, 2007 10:39 AM | Report abuse

it wasn't just beating the #5 team in the country, it was a return to the big dance, well and a damn nice comeback. i can accept storming the court in that instance

Posted by: kwamebrownsucks | February 26, 2007 10:42 AM | Report abuse

Being there in person, the court storming was hindered by security, who had blocked up the typical avenues for the students to get onto the floor... being the bright MD undergrads that they are, they found ways around the rental cops.

Also, the waving the hand in front of the face means "you can't see me." It's a hip hop thang, not a DeShawn Stevenson thing.

Posted by: Chris Mottram | February 26, 2007 11:24 AM | Report abuse

I'm going to spare everyone my usual obnoxious tirade and just say I was happy that we won. Kind of nice to see that the team as a whole can play well when Hibbert is on the bench. VERY worried about the rumors of Jeff Green entering the lottery. Equally worried about Syracuse tonight and Conn on Saturday.

Big props to the Terps for a nice win.

If by some reason Georgetown and Maryland end up playing each other in the Tournament does this mean everyone will stop lumping it on the Hoyas for never playing local teams? Just kidding.

Posted by: Hoya Fan | February 26, 2007 12:03 PM | Report abuse

I still have no voice from last night at Comcast ... if you want to see pictures, try here ...

Posted by: littles | February 26, 2007 12:13 PM | Report abuse

So Duke lights a fire, and it's "...school spirit at its best", while in College Park it's a riot and the students should all be put in the stocks? How is that?

I may be going down to Durham for work next month. I should bring my bucket of war rocks.

Posted by: Chest Rockwell | February 26, 2007 4:48 PM | Report abuse

John Starks is whoring his time through Learning Annex.. $60 to go to a knicks game with him and your fellow turds

Why isnt Gheorghe cashing in?!!!

Posted by: darvin ham | February 26, 2007 5:40 PM | Report abuse

This may be obvious, but Durham doesn't like Duke, Chest Rockwell. I'm not condoning anything, but if something were to happen I would make sure it was confined to Duke University's campus.

Posted by: sitruc | February 26, 2007 5:55 PM | Report abuse

Holy crap! An entire paragraph on American University!

I'm smelling an upset in the second round. Don't know if we face Bucknell or Holy Cross, but whoever it is: watch out. American played very, very close games against both teams including an overtime loss to Holy Cross at home and a 6-point loss on the road to Bucknell. This team is due for a victory.

Also, congrats to Andre Ingram for making All-Patriot League First Team.

Posted by: KC in DC | February 26, 2007 10:34 PM | Report abuse

while "the program" might not like it, i say let the college kids have fun and run on the court...good year, good excuse...

if anyone hasn't checked out AU hoops at Bender Arena this year, tonight is the chance... good college basketball atmosphere, exciting senior laden team and playoff basketball - give it a shot, let the Madness begin...

Posted by: BoilerRoom | February 28, 2007 4:54 AM | Report abuse