Gilbert's Taste in Sushi

I think I need to amend my e-mail to that Portuguese feature writer this morning, which outlined some of Gilbert's quirks, to include this one: he special orders California rolls and cream-cheese rolls fried in tempura batter. The Reliable Source, joining the Gilbert train, actually has two Wizards items this AM, which I will hereby steal, in an effort to get the Reliable Source linked on True Hoop:

HEY, ISN'T THAT....

Gilbert Arenas and Tony Parker breaking bread together at Oya restaurant Wednesday night after the Wizards lost to Parker's San Antonio Spurs, 110-83....Other diners whispered and stared but no one approached. They chowed down on filet, roasted chicken, sea bass and sushi, including Arenas's special-order faves -- California rolls and cream-cheese rolls fried in tempura batter. Ewww?

Antawn Jamison towering over the lunchtime crowd in the line at a Potbelly's sandwich shop in Chinatown yesterday....

You have to follow the link to fill in the ellipses.

And continuing today's bounty, check out the two nuggets in Gilbert's Time Magazine profile, which cruelly fails to credit the Wizznutzz for its Agent Zero headline and claims Gilbert "goes by a superhero nickname, Agent Zero," as if said nickname sprang, fully formed, out the F Street sidewalks. Sigh.

Nugget one: During a road trip, Arenas filled teammate Andray Blatche's hotel bathtub with coffee.

Nugget two: On his all-star plans, "I'm trying to get two blimps," he says, smiling. "They'd just fly around the city and say, AGENT ZERO HAS ARRIVED."

Wizznutzz: Fire up the Mothering Hut, pronto.

Hat tip, as usual, to Gilbertology, who really should be doing my job.

And Bog friend Dan Shanoff chimes in this morning by comparing Gilbert with Barack Obama, in a way that actually makes some sense, especially with regard to the "aura of accessibility" both men project. And Shanoff also demands a Mothering Hut shirt. Gonna be a busy week over there.

By Dan Steinberg  |  February 9, 2007; 11:23 AM ET
Categories:  Wizards
Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Sun Ming Ming Goes National
Next: Gil's a One-Armed Frisky Sex Symbol

Comments

Ken Beatrice can only stich so many shirts at a time!

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | February 9, 2007 11:55 AM | Report abuse

I think it'd be great if Antawn started yelling "tempura" to Gil's "hibachi".

Posted by: smperk | February 9, 2007 12:02 PM | Report abuse

And then Caron can yell "Soy Saucey" when he nails a nothing but net jumper. It can also have a double meaning aside from the Asian food theme and can be translated in Spanish as "I am Saucey!".....

Posted by: Dave B. | February 9, 2007 12:20 PM | Report abuse

Wizzard sightings around town seem to be fairly common. I saw Steve Blake sumemr before last just north of Farragut getting some lunch. Someone else had his attention and I didn't get to say hi. I think he was traded about 2 weeks later.

Posted by: EricS | February 9, 2007 12:20 PM | Report abuse

The cruel North Wind
Chills the hobbled Wizards: O
Hibachi, warm us!

Posted by: ouij | February 9, 2007 12:55 PM | Report abuse

ouij, that's Beautiful!

Ah, now I know what to have as my sign for Sunday's game: a blimp-shaped sign that says "Agent Zero Has Arrived!"

She who seems to like arcane signs,

Nancy

Posted by: Nancy | February 9, 2007 1:01 PM | Report abuse

mothering hut, if you're listening, can the "Agent Zero has arrived" All star vegas edition spectacular shirts be accomodating to the vegas addition gil zeros? thanks.

Posted by: CreditZard | February 9, 2007 1:03 PM | Report abuse

I just saw Rod Strickland at the hot dog stand on L Street...somebody call Reliable Source!!!

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | February 9, 2007 1:12 PM | Report abuse

Beautiful Cream Cheese
Wearing Tempura Batter.
Surely best-dressed sushi.

Posted by: Nancy | February 9, 2007 1:24 PM | Report abuse

sushi with tony
new duo, sorry awvee:
limoless, lonely

Posted by: Anonymous | February 9, 2007 1:32 PM | Report abuse

Oya is a dynamite Asian restaurant. It's an elegant restaurant that accurately reflects Asian culture.

I ordered the Border Collie Glaze & wholeheartedly recommend it. While the Grilled Chow Chow was a tad undercooked, our server quickly brought it back to the kitchen & had the problem rectified.

Posted by: Natsman | February 9, 2007 2:02 PM | Report abuse

Gilbert & Tonee Parrkerr. Cream-cheese rolls fried in tempura batter. Coffee-filled bathtub. Blimps - two - over Vegas. Duly noted.

Posted by: Pedro | February 9, 2007 2:10 PM | Report abuse

I am six foot one and a buck seventy-five. I eat two of those Potbelly sandwiches for lunch. I can't even imagine how many Jamison eats.

Posted by: bryc3 | February 9, 2007 2:18 PM | Report abuse

Unsilent: Really?! Pictures! Does Rod Strickland still live in DC?

Posted by: Josh | February 9, 2007 3:06 PM | Report abuse

Natsman- You're a putz.

Josh- No, no, and no. Here's part of the story from an old Chathouse with Wilbon.

Al - D.C.: We'd all be remiss if we didn't remember Rod Strickland puking up hot dogs during Bullets games.

Michael Wilbon: Yes, and that would often happen on the bench, after Rod ate hot dogs from the press room, sometimes with reporters. This is an actual conversation from a Rod Strickland hot dog grab one night.

Reporter: Rod, you can't eat that. You'll get sick and throw up!

Rod: I know. Won't be the first time...or the last...Can you slide me that mustard?

Posted by: Unsilent Majority | February 9, 2007 3:31 PM | Report abuse

thanks mr. majority. i love that rod strickland story. do you have any leadell eackles or leon wood stories? this is edge of your seat stuff.

Posted by: natsman | February 9, 2007 3:45 PM | Report abuse

I am going to be tremendously upset if this blimp thing doesn't happen. Good point though, the "Agent Zero Has Arrived" shirts would be awesome.

Posted by: Scroot | February 9, 2007 4:32 PM | Report abuse

Ah I see, the in-jokes have run away with themselves. I had also read about Mr. Strickland's hot-dog-loving ways of the past and was really hoping that he had, in fact, returned to DC and taken up the bun once more...

Posted by: Josh | February 10, 2007 12:50 AM | Report abuse