The Non-Unanimous Unanimous Choice

OK, gang, rumor revealed. Affable Wash Times Maryland Beat Man Patrick Stevens is the voter who did not vote for Hansbrough for the ACC-first team, and he chronicles the ACC's decision to call Hansbrough a unanimous choice in his blog. As Patrick details, here was the ACSMA's reasoning:

Your vote was counted and the players you voted for first-team were duly noted and the appropriate point totals recorded. However, as has been done in the past with the Board's approval, if a particular player is one or two votes shy of being a unanimous selection, we have designated that player as being a unanimous pick. All ballots per our by-laws can be made public if requested, so we do this in order to avoid possibly singling out the one or two people who did not vote for a particular player. We feel that is the best policy and avoids any un-needed distractions in the overall process. At times in the past, I've tried to contact voters to let them know that this was being done, but this year with the large number of votes that I had to count Sunday evening, there simply wasn't time. If you would like the Board to consider changing this policy, please let me know.

That, of course, is patently absurd. Unanimous should mean unanimous, or there's no point in calling someone a unanimous choice. I'd feel wronged if I was Jared Dudley or Al Thornton, who should be the lone unanimous choices. I'd also feel wronged if I was Stevens, whose vote was basically disregarded. Stevens, by the by, voted for Dowdell, Singletary, Reynolds, Thonrton and Dudely.

Hogwash, I say. Not Stevens' vote, but the whole ordeal.

By Adam Kilgore  |  March 7, 2007; 2:45 PM ET

Save & Share:  Send E-mail   Facebook   Twitter   Digg   Yahoo Buzz   Del.icio.us   StumbleUpon   Technorati   Google Buzz   Previous: Feel The Excitement!!!
Next: Your Next ACC Champion ...

Comments

Patrick Stevens runs this college sports reporting stuff. The ACSMA looks like a buncha punks now.

Posted by: Lindemann | March 7, 2007 3:03 PM | Report abuse

Funny thing is, when you go back you can see a few close calls: Chris Paul from Wake the last two years, Dunleavy was three 1st place votes off of Juan Dixon and Jason Williams in 2002.

Does seem a bit fishy of them to round up on Hansbrough, doesn't it? Are they really worried that all the irate Carolina fans will threaten him and stalk him and the like? Haha. I thought Carolina was classier than that...

Posted by: kate | March 7, 2007 3:24 PM | Report abuse

Wonder if ACSMA was lurking in Florida circa election time 2000?

Posted by: AIJ | March 7, 2007 3:27 PM | Report abuse

Absurd. Stick it to 'em, Stevens. DBK represent.

Posted by: Kid Bro Sweetz | March 7, 2007 5:07 PM | Report abuse

Patrick Stevens FTW!

Posted by: DBK Alum | March 7, 2007 5:12 PM | Report abuse

Hey, is this thread going to be a convention of people who worked with Stevens at the DBK? Because I did too. He was such an awesome beast there. That ten-part series on Cole my senior year - riveting stuff, and produced somehow at the same time as all the game stories and columns. I don't know why the Post didn't pick him up.

Posted by: Lindemann | March 7, 2007 6:29 PM | Report abuse

Lindemann, I miss your movie reviews.

Posted by: Kid Bro Sweetz | March 7, 2007 6:31 PM | Report abuse

Here's the fixed link:

Posted by: Harrison | March 7, 2007 8:08 PM | Report abuse

Thanks, Kid! I can't say I've written very many new ones since college, but they're all available at http://spam-o-matic.org

p.s. Duke sucks